TOM, or whoever: Tapping Artifacts?

Arcades Sabboth

Dec 9, 1994, 12:18:10 PM12/9/94
I thought I'd read somewhere that you could just tap an artifact at will
if you didn't want it to apply for some reason, or whatever. Just recently,
though, I heard around here somewhere that you couldn't. Which is right?

-Andy Kaiser
gka...@falcon.lhup.edu
Lock Haven University, Pennsylvania

Mark Ip

Dec 9, 1994, 10:27:12 PM12/9/94
Arcades Sabboth (gka...@falcon.lhup.edu) wrote:
> I thought I'd read somewhere that you could just tap an artifact at will
> if you didn't want it to apply for some reason, or whatever. Just recently,
> though, I heard around here somewhere that you couldn't. Which is right?

Do you mean tapping an artifact without it generating an effect? You
can't do that, whenever you tap, the effect is generated, (This I'm
not too sure about --->) But if you tap it with a card or other
artifact, an affect will be generated unless it says "no effect is
generated" or there is a power-up cost when tapping it.
ie. twiddle on a Sol Ring will cause no effect, Relic Barrier will
release 2 mana.

Mark Ip
Carleton University - School of Architecture

"From the Sardian mountains wakes ancient doom:
Warrior born from a rocky womb."

Email address: m...@chat.carleton.ca

98% Funky Stuff

Dec 10, 1994, 2:29:14 AM12/10/94
In article <D0Ks9...@cunews.carleton.ca>, m...@chat.carleton.ca (Mark Ip)
wrote:

> Arcades Sabboth (gka...@falcon.lhup.edu) wrote:
> > I thought I'd read somewhere that you could just tap an artifact at will
> > if you didn't want it to apply for some reason, or whatever. Just recently,
> > though, I heard around here somewhere that you couldn't. Which is right?
>

>and as for continuous artifacts, no you may not tap them at will. just
think of how good winter orb would be! too bad, i kind of like the
picture on that one.

--
ben
bwil...@cc.swarthmore.edu

Tom Wylie

Dec 14, 1994, 1:12:53 AM12/14/94
Arcades Sabboth <gka...@falcon.lhup.edu> wrote:
>I thought I'd read somewhere that you could just tap an artifact at will
>if you didn't want it to apply for some reason, or whatever. Just recently,
>though, I heard around here somewhere that you couldn't. Which is right?

You can't tap anything "just because". There must be an ingame
reason for doing so.

Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for
aa...@hal.com Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Louis Eisenberg

Dec 15, 1994, 5:34:48 PM12/15/94
Can you tap continuous artifacts in the first place? I mean, if you used
an Icy or something? Would it have any effect? What about enchantments?

--
****Louis Eisenberg................................eisenber@email.unc.edu****

Thomas R Wylie

Dec 15, 1994, 9:23:27 PM12/15/94

Louis Eisenberg <eise...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>Can you tap continuous artifacts in the first place? I mean, if you used
>an Icy or something? Would it have any effect? What about enchantments?

Any artifact can be tapped just fine. Artifacts shut off while tapped
unless they count as creatures or lands, so this would typically have a
very useful effect. Enchantments can't be tapped.

Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for

aa...@cats.ucsc.edu Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Christian Thoma

Dec 16, 1994, 11:31:12 AM12/16/94
Louis Eisenberg (eise...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
: Can you tap continuous artifacts in the first place? I mean, if you used
: an Icy or something? Would it have any effect? What about enchantments?

: --
: ****Louis Eisenberg................................eisenber@email.unc.edu****
Continuous Artifacts and Enchantments can be tapped. If they are tapped, they
have no effect, and any powers they have could not be used. Thus, a Tapped
Soul Net would not get you life for creatures that have gone to the graveyard.
A good example of tapping a continuous artifact is if you tap a Winter Orb
during the controller's turn. When it is your turn, you can untap all your
lands. When it is your opponent's turn, the Winter Orb becomes untapped
again, and your opponent can only untap one land.
As for Enchantments, if you tap your opponent's Orcish Oriflamme or Gauntlet
of Might, their effects are negated (attacking creatures don't gain bonus;
mountains do not generate double mana and red creatures do not gain bonus)
These are just examples... (Now you see why Twiddle is a bitch!)

| Christian Thoma | "The path of the righteous man | r.g.d.m. |
| mjo...@acs.bu.edu | is beset on all sides by the | r.g.t.m. |
| "But I never intended | inequities of the selfish and | a.s.f.s. |
| all this madness-never!" | the tyranny of evil men..." PF| Ja wohl! |
Did you ever see the faces of the children? They get so excited
waking up on Christmas morning out before the winter sun's ignited...
But Tommy doesn't know what day it is; he doesn't know who Jesus was or
what praying is. How can he be saved from the eternal grave?

David DeLaney

Dec 17, 1994, 12:05:36 PM12/17/94
mjo...@bu.edu (Christian Thoma) writes:
>Continuous Artifacts and Enchantments can be tapped.
[...]

>As for Enchantments, if you tap your opponent's Orcish Oriflamme or Gauntlet
>of Might, their effects are negated (attacking creatures don't gain bonus;
>mountains do not generate double mana and red creatures do not gain bonus)

So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as
how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
an enchantment?

Dave "Hint: Enchantments *do not tap*" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. Disclaimer: IMHO; VRbeableWIKTHLC

Louis Eisenberg

Dec 18, 1994, 8:46:48 PM12/18/94
>So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as
>how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
>an enchantment?
Are you absolutely sure about that? Perhaps TOM should verify
it. Wait a second---Icy Manipulator taps any CARD, doesn't it?
--
****Louis Eisenberg................................eisenber@email.unc.edu****

Tom Christiansen

Dec 19, 1994, 12:26:50 PM12/19/94
:-> In rec.games.deckmaster, eise...@email.unc.edu (Louis Eisenberg) writes:
:>So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as

:>how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
:>an enchantment?
: Are you absolutely sure about that? Perhaps TOM should verify
:it. Wait a second---Icy Manipulator taps any CARD, doesn't it?

Don't be silly.

1: You may tap any land, creature, or artifact in play on either side.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tch...@mox.perl.com

The X server has to be the biggest program I've ever seen that doesn't
do anything for you. --Ken Thompson

Trent Tobler

Dec 22, 1994, 3:51:37 PM12/22/94
Louis Eisenberg (eise...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
: >So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as

: >how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
: >an enchantment?
: Are you absolutely sure about that? Perhaps TOM should verify
: it. Wait a second---Icy Manipulator taps any CARD, doesn't it?

Does tapping an enchantment stop it from working? I think the rules only
mention what happens to continuous ARTIFACTS that are tapped.

--
Trent Tobler

Benjamin R Pierce

Dec 22, 1994, 11:05:00 PM12/22/94
In article <1994Dec22.2...@unislc.slc.unisys.com>, tto...@unislc.slc.unisys.com (Trent Tobler) writes...

>Louis Eisenberg (eise...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
>: >So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as
>: >how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
>: >an enchantment?
>: Are you absolutely sure about that? Perhaps TOM should verify
>: it. Wait a second---Icy Manipulator taps any CARD, doesn't it?

..no. It taps any land, creature, or artifact. Doesn't do doodly to
enchantments.

Eric P. Husen

Dec 23, 1994, 2:20:09 PM12/23/94
In article <D18wn...@acsu.buffalo.edu>, v124...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Benjamin R Pierce) writes:
> In article <1994Dec22.2...@unislc.slc.unisys.com>, tto...@unislc.slc.unisys.com (Trent Tobler) writes...
> >Louis Eisenberg (eise...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
> >: >So. Christian. How do you propose to tap an Orcish Oriflamme, seeing as
> >: >how there's currently no card, spell, or effect in the game which can tap
> >: >an enchantment?
> >: Are you absolutely sure about that? Perhaps TOM should verify
> >: it. Wait a second---Icy Manipulator taps any CARD, doesn't it?
>

> ..no. It taps any land, creature, or artifact. Doesn't do doodly to
> enchantments.

In fact, let me go one stronger than that, nothing will tap an enchantment, ICY or otherwise. I seem to remember that the rules even state that enchantments do not tap under any circumstance (maybe it was in the FAQ).

Later,

Eric (Software Engineer by necessity, Magic Player by addiction)

Jay Elmore

Dec 27, 1994, 2:19:05 AM12/27/94
In article <D1A31...@wes.mot.com>, Eric P. Husen <hu...@wes.mot.com> wrote:

>In fact, let me go one stronger than that, nothing will tap an
>enchantment, ICY or otherwise. I seem to remember that the rules even
>state that enchantments do not tap under any circumstance (maybe it was
>in the FAQ).

There is one exception (isn't there always?):

Copy Artifact, which is an enchantment, can be tapped. Otherwise,
Copying a Rod of Ruin wouldn't do much, would it?

Jay (=

--
John W. "Jay" Elmore Jr. | "I've been ionized...
jel...@netcom.com | but I'm OK now."