Ultima 8 Pagan: locking at necromancers'

Fluffy the Confused Dragon

Oct 14, 2008, 12:43:59 AM10/14/08
I thought (just in case anyone human still checked this group) that I
would post a question. I installed DOSBOX on my XP system, so I can
run Pagan on the slightly faster machine. (It's the patched version.)
So far it runs just fine on my Win98 system (although the frequency
with which the game lets you die stupidly really ticks me off), but
with DOSBOX, everything seems fine until I get the serpent dagger back
to Vividos. He starts the ceremony and then halfway through, it just
locks. The earthquake shakes, the ghouls wave their arms, and the
music plays, but nothing progresses from there. (Vividos doesn't kill
Lithos). Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed some crucial step?

Michael Cecil

Oct 14, 2008, 1:11:10 AM10/14/08

It's been so long I really can't remember U8. Yay! That means it will
seem new when I play it again. I was kind of hoping that the remake would
be finished sooner though.

Anyhow, it sounds more like a bug that something you've left undone. Maybe
some kind of timing issue with DOSBox. Are there some setting with DOSBox
you can change and try starting the ritual again?

Hopefully someone will know about this problem.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm

Oct 17, 2008, 7:44:56 AM10/17/08
As legal representative Michael Cecil <mac...@gmail.com> read article
of evidence <67a8f4pgca1r7v4pb...@4ax.com> it was clear
the jury was balanced on a knife edge:

>On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:43:59 -0700 (PDT), Fluffy the Confused Dragon
><lpa...@digitalpla.net> wrote:
>
>>I thought (just in case anyone human still checked this group) that I
>>would post a question. I installed DOSBOX on my XP system, so I can
>>run Pagan on the slightly faster machine. (It's the patched version.)
>>So far it runs just fine on my Win98 system (although the frequency
>>with which the game lets you die stupidly really ticks me off), but
>>with DOSBOX, everything seems fine until I get the serpent dagger back
>>to Vividos. He starts the ceremony and then halfway through, it just
>>locks. The earthquake shakes, the ghouls wave their arms, and the
>>music plays, but nothing progresses from there. (Vividos doesn't kill
>>Lithos). Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed some crucial step?
>
>It's been so long I really can't remember U8. Yay! That means it will
>seem new when I play it again. I was kind of hoping that the remake would
>be finished sooner though.
>
>Anyhow, it sounds more like a bug that something you've left undone. Maybe
>some kind of timing issue with DOSBox. Are there some setting with DOSBox
>you can change and try starting the ritual again?
>
>Hopefully someone will know about this problem.

I remember this problem. It caused me to give up the game. I didn't
know what I'd done wrong either but I wasn't running DOSBOX or anything
other than a DOS 6.22 environment. Pagan refused to progress and I
would love to know what the problem was so I can go back to it and play
it again.

--
http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/mp3/Trashmen-Surfin::Bird.mp3
Friends intervene on Friends. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7pU7Ki6cAI

Michael Cecil

Oct 17, 2008, 9:37:21 AM10/17/08

I'm including .dragons in my reply so maybe someone there will know.

Moscow Dragon

Oct 17, 2008, 12:36:55 PM10/17/08
>I thought (just in case anyone human still checked this group)

I have this group on my newsgroup list, it does not require any food :-)

I think there are more people doing the same.

--
Max

Paulon

Oct 17, 2008, 10:04:13 PM10/17/08
With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Michael Cecil swings about
and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

>>I remember this problem. It caused me to give up the game. I didn't
>>know what I'd done wrong either but I wasn't running DOSBOX or
>>anything other than a DOS 6.22 environment. Pagan refused to progress
>>and I would love to know what the problem was so I can go back to it
>>and play it again.
>
> I'm including .dragons in my reply so maybe someone there will know.

I do seem to recall hearing about the bug somewhere, but I don't remember
if there was a solution. All I can suggest is either trying again or seeing
if somebody has a saved game at that point. Sorry.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T++ Om+ UEK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Koselara

Oct 17, 2008, 11:53:23 PM10/17/08
Michael Cecil shouted into the darkness:

> I'm including .dragons in my reply so maybe someone there will know.

I remember people complaining about it long ago, so I tracked the
discussion & solution down via Google's USENET/Groups archive. I'm
including the link via TinyURL as it was far too long on its own... Hope
this fixes the problem! -- Koselara (formerly Lady [initials]) Dragon

Gaseous Dragon, RGCUD, Feb. 25, 2001:
http://tinyurl.com/rgcud-feb01
his website referenced below:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd

"I suspect your problem is related to the IRQ setting of your sound card.
When running the INSTALL program of U8, you have to choose a IRQ setting
-
from memory it's 2, 3, 5 or 7. Make sure that this is what your computer
thinks is correct - look up your card in start/settings/control
panel/system/hardware/sound, music devices/your card/resources. More
boring
details are on my Ultima 7 For Beginners page :)

Re the earthquake: From the Origin tech help page.......

"When I am watching Lothian being sacrificed, the screen won't quit
shaking!"
Continual shaking of the screen is a problem related to your Sound
Card's
IRQ setting. Run the INSTALL program from the C:\ULTIMA8 directory.
Ensure
that the settings are correct. If you know them to be correct, but
cannot
get past the shaking, set the game for NO sound and NO music. Save the
settings for the install program and run the game again. Without sound,
you
should be able to get past this point, save the game again, run the
install
program and reconfigure your sound for the rest of the game. See our
Sound
Card Help Page for more information."

Polychromic

Oct 18, 2008, 9:15:13 AM10/18/08
On 18 Oct 2008 03:53:23 GMT, Koselara
<koselara.rem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good deal. I guess I should have checked the newsgroup archives myself.
Hopefully this will solve the OP's dilemma.
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
Webpage http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm

Jan Smed

Jan 14, 2010, 2:35:05 PM1/14/10
"Polychromic" <mac...@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

Nice to see you haven't lost touch to Garriott's gameworld completely.
Amazing, really.

I spent the last 3 years of gaming playing WoW, and have 4 lvl 80's by now.
Have any of you noticed the soothsayer and his questions in the Darkmoone
Faire? It's the gypsy woman, posing as tauren, asking the exact same
questions.

Top o' the morning to you all,
Arcana Dragon