10K logs? How? And various questions...

Brian Keener

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
I'm lumberjacking my way to wealth, made about 5k over the weekend. My
lumberjacking is closing in on 50, and my bowcrafting is around 40, both
of which started off at 0 (or close.) I could've trained, I know, but I
wanted to see how long it would take.

ANYWAY, I see people talking about cutting 10,000 logs, and all I have
to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree before it's
time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood from a tree with
higher lumberjacking? Do you grab your maximum load and then teleport
back to your house, 100 logs at a time?

Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time? That's really damn
annoying when I've got 15 or 20 bows to sell...

Brian K

Richard Cortese

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> I'm lumberjacking my way to wealth, made about 5k over the weekend. My
> lumberjacking is closing in on 50, and my bowcrafting is around 40, both
> of which started off at 0 (or close.) I could've trained, I know, but I
> wanted to see how long it would take.
>
> ANYWAY, I see people talking about cutting 10,000 logs, and all I have
> to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree before it's
> time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood from a tree with
> higher lumberjacking? Do you grab your maximum load and then teleport
> back to your house, 100 logs at a time?
Or convert them to boards. But yes, in general people in the newsgroup are
that obsessive where we will<use to anyway> play 5-8 hours a day for several
months at a time to raise a skill or get 10,000 logs 100 at a time.

At higher lumberjacking levels it isn't that bad. I seem to miss more then
ever, like OSI 'fixed' lumberjacking, but 2,000 logs an hour is about right
for lumberjacking. You have to get to a good wood area like Yew to do those
kind of numbers, so 10,000 logs is just a long evening of playing.

> Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time? That's really damn
> annoying when I've got 15 or 20 bows to sell...

Check this out, buy all 10 ingots from the blacksmith or tinker, then offer
the same 10 ingots back for sale. When you buy them out like this, they will
offer you ~8-9 gold per ingot vs the 4-5 they normally do.

Now if you were a miner and had 10,000 ingots on you that you wanted to sell
all at once for 8 gold each...

So they have a 5 item limit.

I highly reccomend you go to www.tugsoft.com and get the 1 month free demo
of UOA. *FIRST* thing you do is learn how to use the "hot sell" bag, it is
really that neat.

> Brian K

Lars Friedrich

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
"Brian Keener" wrote:
> to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree before it's
> time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood from a tree with
> higher lumberjacking?
Not really, you have more successes, which saves time but you don't get more
wood from it.
You usually get 10-30 logs per tree, sometimes I have gained up to 150 or
more logs from a single tree. But it doesn't have to do anything with the
skill.

> Do you grab your maximum load and then teleport
> back to your house, 100 logs at a time?

First of all is to convert them into boards with a carpentry tool. This
saves weight and they can still be used for everything logs can be used for.
The next thing is that those persons either operate with packhorses that can
carry 1600 boards or have a house near or inside a large forest. Sometimes
both ;)
I can make 10k boards in 2-3 days. And without those stupid monster attacks
and grief players I could make even more.

> Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time?

Economy issues.
If you could sell more, you could for example: purchase 5 items and drive
the price up and then sell 500 at once at the higher price.

Brian Keener

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
> > Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time?
> Economy issues.
> If you could sell more, you could for example: purchase 5 items and drive
> the price up and then sell 500 at once at the higher price.

I didn't realize it would work like that. Very interesting...

And still very annoying...

Brian K

BigDaddy

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00

"Brian Keener" <sk...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm lumberjacking my way to wealth, made about 5k over the weekend. My
> lumberjacking is closing in on 50, and my bowcrafting is around 40, both
> of which started off at 0 (or close.) I could've trained, I know, but I
> wanted to see how long it would take.
>
> ANYWAY, I see people talking about cutting 10,000 logs, and all I have
> to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree before it's
> time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood from a tree with
> higher lumberjacking? Do you grab your maximum load and then teleport

> back to your house, 100 logs at a time?
Yes, more wood with higher lj skill. No, not teleporting, dragging a pack
horse around behind ya!

> Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time? That's really damn
> annoying when I've got 15 or 20 bows to sell...

That is the way OSI deemed it to be way way back when, oh say, in 1997 or
so! Used to sell hundreds of items at once to vendors, then no one else
could sell to him for hours! This way, everyone has a chance to sell stuff !
Enjoy the rule, its a good thing! (heheh, try selling 800 gems, 5 at a
time!!)

Katherine

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
On Mon, 08 May 2000 14:57:11 -0400, Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I didn't realize it would work like that. Very interesting...
>
>And still very annoying...

That's why he was recommending UOA--with its "sell agent" you can just mark
a specific item to always sell, or else a "hot sell bag" that the agent
will try to sell anything within. Then you just make a macro for some
variation of "vendor sell" and sell five items at a time, but with one
keypress combo.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Brian Keener

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00

I've been trying UOA, and UOautomap. UOAutomap is a real lifesaver if
you don't know your way around the shops... I'll give that a shot with
UOA when I get home...

Brian K

Uwe Fischer

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net> schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: 3916DD42...@bellsouth.net...

> I'm lumberjacking my way to wealth, made about 5k over the
weekend. My
> lumberjacking is closing in on 50, and my bowcrafting is
around 40, both
> of which started off at 0 (or close.) I could've trained,
I know, but I
> wanted to see how long it would take.

Good choice. This will make you really hard;)

> ANYWAY, I see people talking about cutting 10,000 logs,
and all I have
> to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree
before it's
> time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood
from a tree with
> higher lumberjacking? Do you grab your maximum load and
then teleport
> back to your house, 100 logs at a time?

Before the UO-R-patch, you could get up to 300 logs from one
tree. It was very seldom, but it was possible. Since the
patch the trees have died. Most of them are giving no more
logs, those who give logs give only 10 or 20. I haven愒
tried it in Trammel, but I hope it愀 not the same. For
reducing the weight, you can cut the logs into boards with a
saw. The boards weight is only half of the logs weight. So
you can carry up to 360 boards with 100 STR.

> Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time?
That's really damn
> annoying when I've got 15 or 20 bows to sell...

Try to get UOA from www.tugsoft.com. It will help you with
some makros you could need for fletching bows and a great
sell-agent. Very nice to have.

Regards
Grizwood, Seneschall (MTB), Drachenfels
For Baphomet with fire and sword!

BTC: Baphometic Trade Center Drachenfels
http://internetjunk.com/users/baphomet/
MTB: Militia Templum Baphomet
http://members.aon.at/templer/index.htm

Mat

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
"Uwe Fischer" <fisch...@ngi.de> wrote in message

First of all, hi people, it's Mat again, I promise I'll try not to annoy you
guys that much ;)

> Before the UO-R-patch, you could get up to 300 logs from one
> tree. It was very seldom, but it was possible. Since the
> patch the trees have died. Most of them are giving no more
> logs, those who give logs give only 10 or 20. I haven愒
> tried it in Trammel, but I hope it愀 not the same. For

It's the same in Trammel, but I think the "magical" trees that used to yield
250+ logs we're buggy, don't know though.. I have a friend who specializes
in logging and selling boards, he told me he hasn't been able to harvest his
usual trees (he's got a map of them) since the patch in neither trammel nor
felucca.

I hope they'll reinsert the buggy or magical trees, whatever, they really
spiced up life for the poor lumberjack.

> Try to get UOA from www.tugsoft.com. It will help you with
> some makros you could need for fletching bows and a great
> sell-agent. Very nice to have.

Yep, I can sell like 300 stones worth of shields or any other item in like a
minute just by pressing F2 F2 F2 (which is bound to "say vendor sell")

--
Mat

Katherine

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
On Mon, 08 May 2000 18:17:54 -0400, Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I've been trying UOA, and UOautomap. UOAutomap is a real lifesaver if

>you don't know your way around the shops... I'll give that a shot with
>UOA when I get home...

Oh yeah, gotta love UOMap. Especially in Trammel where there aren't houses
to use as landmarks. :)

(It was wonderful--yesterday I went to see the Shrine of Compassion, and
ran straight across the desert...lots of vast emptiness, just like a desert
is meant to be...)

Wolf Kestris Rowanwood

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Yes its the same in TRammel. I've gotten as far as 50 logs, but that was
extremely lucky. most days I get only 20 or 30 from one tree.

-Wolf
baja

"Uwe Fischer" <fisch...@ngi.de> wrote in message

> Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net> schrieb in im
> Newsbeitrag: 3916DD42...@bellsouth.net...
> > I'm lumberjacking my way to wealth, made about 5k over the
> weekend. My
> > lumberjacking is closing in on 50, and my bowcrafting is
> around 40, both
> > of which started off at 0 (or close.) I could've trained,
> I know, but I
> > wanted to see how long it would take.
>
> Good choice. This will make you really hard;)
>
> > ANYWAY, I see people talking about cutting 10,000 logs,
> and all I have
> > to say is... HOW? I get at most about 20 logs from a tree
> before it's
> > time to move on to the next. Do you harvest more wood
> from a tree with
> > higher lumberjacking? Do you grab your maximum load and
> then teleport
> > back to your house, 100 logs at a time?
>

> Before the UO-R-patch, you could get up to 300 logs from one
> tree. It was very seldom, but it was possible. Since the
> patch the trees have died. Most of them are giving no more
> logs, those who give logs give only 10 or 20. I haven愒
> tried it in Trammel, but I hope it愀 not the same. For

> reducing the weight, you can cut the logs into boards with a
> saw. The boards weight is only half of the logs weight. So
> you can carry up to 360 boards with 100 STR.
>
> > Also, why can't I sell more than 5 items at a time?
> That's really damn
> > annoying when I've got 15 or 20 bows to sell...
>

> Try to get UOA from www.tugsoft.com. It will help you with
> some makros you could need for fletching bows and a great
> sell-agent. Very nice to have.

gil

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Katherine wrote:

> (It was wonderful--yesterday I went to see the Shrine of Compassion, and
> ran straight across the desert...lots of vast emptiness, just like a desert
> is meant to be...)

I think we need to start lobbying for a new "not-mirrored" land, for a
total of 3. The third land would not allow any housing at all,
anywhere!

My connects been great lately (80 pings, no loss), and the lack of lag
due to no houses and low item count in the new lands means I can
literally fly across the landscape.

gil

Dorian

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00

T2A?

Ian A Kelley

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Uwe Fischer (fisch...@ngi.de) wrote:

: Before the UO-R-patch, you could get up to 300 logs from one

: tree. It was very seldom, but it was possible. Since the
: patch the trees have died. Most of them are giving no more
: logs, those who give logs give only 10 or 20. I haven愒
: tried it in Trammel, but I hope it愀 not the same. For
: reducing the weight, you can cut the logs into boards with a
: saw. The boards weight is only half of the logs weight. So
: you can carry up to 360 boards with 100 STR.

Unfortunately, it is the same in Trammel. I altered UOAM and overlayed an
8x8 grid over it to separate each "resource tile," and since the patch,
each resource tile has been providing 30 logs, max. The "magic trees" may
have been bugs, but even in areas that weren't dishing out logs in the
hundreds, you could still easily get 50-80 logs from a single tile
pre-patch.

The net result is that this patch is very very bad for lumberjacks...a
single lumberjack trying to fill a pack horse will clear out massive
expanses of land, throwing a wrench into the plans of any other
lumberjacks in the same general area, as it still takes two hours for a
resource tile to respawn. I hope they revert it--even if they get rid of the
magic trees, it will make things much less of a headache for lumberjacks.

--
Ian Kelley "Try not to become a man of success but
ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu rather to become a man of value."

kh...@icqmail.com

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Tue, 09 May 2000 11:49:40 GMT, ka...@mhn.org (Katherine) wrote:

>On Mon, 08 May 2000 18:17:54 -0400, Brian Keener <sk...@bellsouth.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I've been trying UOA, and UOautomap. UOAutomap is a real lifesaver if
>>you don't know your way around the shops... I'll give that a shot with
>>UOA when I get home...
>
>Oh yeah, gotta love UOMap. Especially in Trammel where there aren't houses
>to use as landmarks. :)

I wander around aimlessly so often, UOMap would be a hindrance to my
play style. So no, I don't gotta love it :P

Katherine

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 16:36:11 -0600, kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

>I wander around aimlessly so often, UOMap would be a hindrance to my
>play style. So no, I don't gotta love it :P

Hehe...I spend most of my play time wandering around aimlessly; then a
guildmate calls for help and I need UOMap to figure out where the heck I
am, and/or where the heck he is.