identify magic items

1 view

oliver borchard

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Hi There,

How do I identify magic items? when you buy a magic items from an npc vendor
it says sth. like
a fortified hammer of ruim - a magic hammer
but bying such items in town for example at the provisioner it just says "a
magic hammer" but not the exact properties and even if you bought the item
you are not able to see about the properties. So what have i got to do?

cu l8er

Vargon

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
You either need to use the Identify Item skill or an item that has charges
of ID item. Beware buying from pc owned vendors as the owner can put any
title they like on the item to be sold.

ID items are staffs and wands (never seen any other types). To test whether
a staff can ID dble click on it when equipped and target it. If the item can
ID it will ID itself. Then just use it by dble clicking it and targetting
what you want to ID.

Innocence

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:52:00 +0200, "oliver borchard"
<obor...@teachware.de> wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>How do I identify magic items? when you buy a magic items from an npc vendor
>it says sth. like
>a fortified hammer of ruim - a magic hammer
>but bying such items in town for example at the provisioner it just says "a
>magic hammer" but not the exact properties and even if you bought the item
>you are not able to see about the properties. So what have i got to do?

Use the Identify Item skill. If you succeed you will get all the
information you need on that item. If you don't succeed just keep on
it till you do.

Or better, save those skill points and get some charged Identify Item
magic items.

They come as wands and staffs - just ask any veteran player for one.
They are VERY common magic items, so don't pay much for one should the
player demand payment at all :) I wouldn't pay more than 1 gold per
charge...

Take care,

T'Arantula
EKC - The Eternal Knights of the Circle

Geoffrey Hyde

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
To see an item's magical properties you will need either an Item ID wand or
to attempt usage of the Item ID skill on an item.

Note that you will have to repeatedly try to Item ID something but you
should try a few items, not just one - they don't have to be magical, even a
pile of gold will work! Ignore the inflated value of the gold pile, and the
randomness of the amount stuff in your pack ID's to, that seems to be an
associated behavior of Item ID. I have heard that people with high skill
can appraise fairly accurately, however, I've never had any character up
high enough to tell if this is actually so or not.

Note that you can actually ID human corpses!! If you get bored of the
standard items, that is ... ;-) Not sure if this works on every kind of
corpse, but it seems like a joke or pun one of the programmers put into the
game. :-)

Objects such as terrain, walls etc. cannot be ID'ed, but will delay another
use of the Item ID skill for about five seconds or so. I would suggest not
ID'ing these items. I think certain signs can be ID'ed, I'm not sure
though, have a go, if it doesn't ID and stops you from using the skill for a
few seconds, move onto a different type of item.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

oliver borchard <obor...@teachware.de> wrote in message

> Hi There,
>
> How do I identify magic items? when you buy a magic items from an npc
vendor
> it says sth. like
> a fortified hammer of ruim - a magic hammer
> but bying such items in town for example at the provisioner it just says
"a
> magic hammer" but not the exact properties and even if you bought the item
> you are not able to see about the properties. So what have i got to do?
>

> cu l8er

Shilo Maggi

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
T'Arantula,

What shard do you play on? I will gladly give you one.

Innocence <inno...@stofanet.DOT.dk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:52:00 +0200, "oliver borchard"
> <obor...@teachware.de> wrote:
>

> >Hi There,
> >
> >How do I identify magic items? when you buy a magic items from an npc
vendor
> >it says sth. like
> >a fortified hammer of ruim - a magic hammer
> >but bying such items in town for example at the provisioner it just says
"a
> >magic hammer" but not the exact properties and even if you bought the
item
> >you are not able to see about the properties. So what have i got to do?

Lars Friedrich

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
"oliver borchard" wrote:
> How do I identify magic items? when you buy a magic items from an npc
vendor
> it says sth. like
> a fortified hammer of ruim - a magic hammer
Another note:
What you see on a player vendor is the description of the owner of the
vendor. So he could say "A silver sword of force" but it would be only a
durable sword of nothing. So when you buy expensive magic items from a
player vendor, ID it anyway and don't rely on the description.

Innocence

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:13:15 -0700, "Shilo Maggi"
<magg...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>T'Arantula,
>
>What shard do you play on? I will gladly give you one.

Thanks for the offer, but you really should extend this offer to the
person who asked for advice, namely obor...@teachware.de

I play on Europa btw. *smiles*

Sincerely,

T'Arantula