Energy Vortex

John Abdos

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Can anyone tell me the best way to use this spell. Most of the time I cast
it right next to a monster and it just sits there. Am I doing something
wrong?

Richard Cortese

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
John Abdos <Ab...@nospamhome.com> wrote in message
It is almost impossible to get it to attack weaker monsters. You can get it
to attack wraiths, orc mages, and the like, but it isn't a sure thing.

It will both go after and kill drakes. It will go after deamons and dragons,
but they will dispell it. This is not really a problem since the EV hits
them with a really high level poison spell, so if you wait around for the
monster to lose some hit points you can kill them with only 2-3 EVs.

There is always the bard option: You can have an EV kill a sewer rat if you
have a bard provoke.

Paul V.

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Energy Vortices target the creature with the most intellegence. It's best to
cast them on magic-using creatures (Titans, dragons, etc). Make sure the
creature has drained their mana or they will just dispel the vortex. Blade
Spirits work best on non-magic using creatures.

Richard Cortese

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Paul V. <spam_is_anno...@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message

> Energy Vortices target the creature with the most intellegence. It's best
> cast them on magic-using creatures (Titans, dragons, etc). Make sure the
> creature has drained their mana or they will just dispel the vortex. Blade
> Spirits work best on non-magic using creatures.
I think there is something else going on too. For instance, drakes are not
magic users, they only have the normal attacks and breath weapon. I will do
an eval int on a drake and see what it comes up with.

Quaestor

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Lord Brend wrote:

> You are probably casting it on the wrong types of monsters.
> If you cast an EV on a ogre, the EV will sit there and twiddle
> its thumbs, or come after you.. If you cast an EV on a dragon,
> it will rip the dragon to shreds if the dragon does not dispel it
> first. EVs thrive on intelligence, so they don't work near as well
> on creatures like trolls and ogres.

When I first moved to LS (actually about a week later), we all went to Destard
to try a new form of dying. Along came a jerk, looted, killed, ran, returned,
the usual routine. At one point he decided that since I was wearing a mage hat
and sitting a horse, I was a good target for an EV. It just sat there doing
abolutely nothing. (Quaestor's int was 35 at the time.)

So you see, they do indeed go only after intelligence **, and that is why I was
not worried.
_____

** actually it's mana remaining, so you can protect yourself by being low on
mana

Lord Brend

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
You are probably casting it on the wrong types of monsters.
If you cast an EV on a ogre, the EV will sit there and twiddle
its thumbs, or come after you.. If you cast an EV on a dragon,
it will rip the dragon to shreds if the dragon does not dispel it
first. EVs thrive on intelligence, so they don't work near as well
on creatures like trolls and ogres.

In article <f9h53.16292$gG2....@news.rdc2.occa.home.com>, "John Abdos"

Richard Cortese

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
The magic number seems to be about 40 mana. I have heard people claim that
it is not intelligence, but mana, such that you can dump your mana casting
spell and an EV won't attack.

I don't believe this, at all. My game is to take spells off of magic using
monsters until they are out of mana, verified via evaluate intelligence,
then put an EV on them.

I also said in another thread that I would evaluate a drake since EVs love
them.

Sure enough, a drake comes out as Supremely or Super Humanly, can't remember
which, intelligent.

Must be bad to be a drake, all that mana and no spells.

Daniel <att...@mail.bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hmm, do you know if it's your percentage of mana remaining or
> the actual value of your mana/int that determines the ev's targeting?
> Example, I found myself in a mage/ev situation and thought it would
> be funny to stand in front of it and let it ignore me. Lets just say I
> too quickly learnt the better part of valor. ;)
>
> --
> Daniel
>
> Quaestor wrote:

> > Lord Brend wrote:
> >
> > > You are probably casting it on the wrong types of monsters.
> > > If you cast an EV on a ogre, the EV will sit there and twiddle
> > > its thumbs, or come after you.. If you cast an EV on a dragon,
> > > it will rip the dragon to shreds if the dragon does not dispel it
> > > first. EVs thrive on intelligence, so they don't work near as well
> > > on creatures like trolls and ogres.

Daniel

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

Grant Farrington

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 23:59:05 -0700, Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae>
wrote:

>When I first moved to LS (actually about a week later), we all went to Destard
>to try a new form of dying. Along came a jerk, looted, killed, ran, returned,
>the usual routine. At one point he decided that since I was wearing a mage hat
>and sitting a horse, I was a good target for an EV. It just sat there doing
>abolutely nothing. (Quaestor's int was 35 at the time.)
>
>So you see, they do indeed go only after intelligence **, and that is why I was
>not worried.

I dunno we spar sometimes to the death and i was para'd and an ev
dropped next to me and it went me right away and my int is 25.

Cheers,

-
Fazza - Jolly Swagman [BA]

Guildmaster of the Blue Heelers,