Mad bombers

Eric A. Hall

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99

We have a new breed of scum. Maybe they are old and I just haven't seen
it before, but it is still the highest form of chicken shit behavior
I've seen in the game yet.

I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.

This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
new low.

Anyway, watch out.

Quaestor

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
> characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
> whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
> new low.

But the experience really did highten your enjoyment, didn't it? DD says so.

Kaiden

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
While stumblin around in a drunken stupor on or about 24 Oct 1999
20:13:53 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> managed to mutter
something about:

>We have a new breed of scum. Maybe they are old and I just haven't seen
>it before, but it is still the highest form of chicken shit behavior
>I've seen in the game yet.
>
>I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
>wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
>rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
>could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
>potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
>Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
>weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.
>

>This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
>characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
>whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
>new low.

Take it you were never ass raped by MDK.

--
Kaiden
http://members.tripod.com/zeltch

Intelligent people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about events.
Stupid people talk about people.

Damocles

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On 24 Oct 1999 20:13:53 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
>wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
>rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
>could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
>potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
>Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
>weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.

The skill wall is a death trap. It's a skill raising exploit anyway,
taking advantage of primitive AI and an easy choke hold. The pk
attacks are kind of like a Malthusian response.

Asa-Loki

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
What's a skill-wall???

Eric A. Hall <eh...@ehsco.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3813CAF0...@ehsco.com...

> We have a new breed of scum. Maybe they are old and I just haven't seen
> it before, but it is still the highest form of chicken shit behavior
> I've seen in the game yet.
>

> I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
> wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
> rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
> could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
> potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
> Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
> weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.
>

> This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
> characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
> whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
> new low.
>

> Anyway, watch out.

JL

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

>This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
>characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
>whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
>new low.
>
>Anyway, watch out.

Variation on this trick: 3 blues came up when I was fighting 2 squel
knights backed against a wall (dumb, I know...). They cast Stone Wall
around me and the squels and just waited for me to die.

Fortunatelly the dumbfu**s casted the walls in the wrong place and I
was able to run away...

------//------

"I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm fresh out of bubblegum"

e-mail: rafa...@hotmail.com

Check out http://www.geocities.com/area51/cavern/5250/

Jamie Miller

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
ITS THE UNABOMBER!!!!

I have experienced this brand of PK'ing....

I recalled out of there so fast.....

Jamie Miller

Eric A. Hall <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote in message

> We have a new breed of scum. Maybe they are old and I just haven't seen
> it before, but it is still the highest form of chicken shit behavior
> I've seen in the game yet.
>
> I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
> wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
> rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
> could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
> potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
> Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
> weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.

Bob Roland

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On 24 Oct 1999 20:13:53 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>We have a new breed of scum. Maybe they are old and I just haven't seen
>it before, but it is still the highest form of chicken shit behavior
>I've seen in the game yet.

There also seems to be a new trend in town bombing. While inishing up
the ticket thing on Sonoma, I stopped off at the Britan bank. It was
like walking into the Bhopal tragedy. Bodies lay everywhere. I
counted at least 20 dead. Trapped boxes lay everywhere. I disposed
of as many as possible, raised many of the dead, tried to find the
bomber, and finally decided "fuck this, I'm going to buy Freespace 2"
(which, I should mention, kicks some major ass. The damn Shivans are
back. I'm begining to hate them more than the Killrathi)

The Great Bob
Visit the Siege Perilous Comic strip!
greatbob.uoboard.net

Lars Friedrich

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Eric A. Hall wrote:
> This is really really lame. The reds are just mule bombers, not even
> characters in the game, and there's no chance of fighting back when the
> whole thing happens if 5 seconds. This takes kewlio pk'ing to a whole
> new low.
Perhaps SBR members killing exploiters..
*shrugs*
Creative use of game mechanics (like standing there..) and punishing
exploiters instead of 'mule bombers and kewlio pking'. That is my opinion.

Jeff Gentry

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Eric A. Hall (eh...@ehsco.com) wrote:
: This is really lame

You're right. The "skill wall" *is* really lame. Just like
you bitch about the PKs "shooting ducks in a barrel, don't
you find it the least bit ironic that essentially, youare
trying to do the same at the skill wall?

--
Jeff Gentry jes...@rpi.edu gen...@rpi.edu
"You're one of those condescending UNIX users! ...."

Opium

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
> I had my new townfighter char at the bone room in Deceit, in the skill
> wall where everybody can take a whack and nobody gets hurt. A fella
> rides in and casts energy field right behind the doorway so that nobody
> could go backwards. Two reds then gate in and lob a dozen or so purple
> potions into the crowd. They killed 15 people in about 5 seconds.
> Needless to say they looted everybody of their regs, good armor and
> weaps, leaving the 2nd tier items behind.

Sure, it's cowardish and lame, but seems to be pretty effective.
The loot of 15 people sounds like a good payment for 5 seconds work :-p
However, harvesting monsters that can't fight back is also lame...

This kind of behaviour is the result of stat loss for murderers.

Xigam

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:18:55 +0200, Opium <w...@cares.com> wrote:

You are all silly.. this was just good tactics on the part of the
PKs..

Can you not teleport beyond an energy field anyway?

It's no different than what players do to monsters every day.. only
you're on the other end of death..

- Xigam

Eric A. Hall

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

> It's a skill raising exploit anyway, taking advantage of primitive
> AI and an easy choke hold.

First of all, it's not an "exploit" since it is playing the game terrain
as designed by OSI. If the players are willing to work as a team to
fight monsters that are more advanced than them, then the more power to
them. Furthermore, on Catskills the GMs have put in teleport tiles on
both sides of the doorway so that players can come and go without having
to disturb the wall. So its human interaction, team work and an overall
positive use of the terrain in a way that is supported by OSI. This is
not an "exploit" like jumping off a boat near a house so that you are
bounced into the hous...

Eric A. Hall

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

> You are all silly.. this was just good tactics on the part of the
> PKs..

I agree that it was effective, but the sheer cowardice of it just blew
me away.

> Can you not teleport beyond an energy field anyway?

Not when you have sword and shield equipped. By the time they were
unequipped I was near dead, with the next blast taking me out before the
words could even be uttered.

> It's no different than what players do to monsters every day.. only
> you're on the other end of death..

I take it that you'll accept your next ambush with equal aplomb.

Damocles

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

They aren't fighting the monsters, they're allowing them to flow one
by one against a wall of a dozen people or so. Have you ever tried
fighting one of them in the actual room when one of these walls is
active? Everyone starts screaming and yelling that you're wrecking
their skill gain. 90% + of the chars using it are mules or dex monkeys
in training for Order / Chaos fighting.

Eric A. Hall

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

> The point was the PKs used a blue to block and disposable
> probably newbie characters to kill so they don't face the risk
> of stats loss. Maybe good tactics, but more some exploit.

Yes, the reds were definitely throw-away mules. They were even named
"Bomber" and "Bomber II" (or something similar, I only had 5 seconds to
look). Pretty obvious that this was the plan all along. 50 magery, 50
alchemy would be a good enough skill combination to do it with.

One of the reds even got killed (he might have blown himself up for all
I know). But do you think they care? Really? They just make "Bomber II"
on another slot and then wait until they can delete "Bomber I" from
their account.

I was there with a mid-level melee fighter trying to gm swords and
maces, and I fully expected to die from skel knights anyway. I had
crappy stuff. It wasn't the death that pissed me off. It was the
cowardly use of bomber mules to collect loads of PHAT L3WT that disgusts
me. This is not a part of "the game" at all. There's no defense for it,
and I'm somewhat perturbed by the responses from this group to such a
cowardly act.

No matter. The original point is that it's something you should all
watch out for. I'm not crying over it; just sharing the experience so
you can watch out for it. Don't be surprised if you start seeing armies
of red bombers gating into the terrathon keep or titan valley or some
other place and start tossing purples by the dozen.

Xigam

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:09:15 +0200, Opium <w...@cares.com> wrote:

>> You are all silly.. this was just good tactics on the part of the
>> PKs..
>

>The point was the PKs used a blue to block and disposable
>probably newbie characters to kill so they don't face the risk
>of stats loss. Maybe good tactics, but more some exploit.

I agree.. but it' no different than the red/blue healer combo.. not
that it's a good thing (I think blue healers should get a chance a MC
for helping, or 1/2 a count or something) . BUT.. damn.. still good
tactics.. now.. If I could only find 15 red guys on a skill wall..
muhahah..

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On 25 Oct 1999 15:13:17 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>> You are all silly.. this was just good tactics on the part of the
>> PKs..
>

>I agree that it was effective, but the sheer cowardice of it just blew
>me away.

Ya.. But then agian, I never knew a red that wasn't a coward.. killing
isn't always about bravery though..

>> It's no different than what players do to monsters every day.. only
>> you're on the other end of death..
>
>I take it that you'll accept your next ambush with equal aplomb.

I'd be pissed too.. but I'd ahve to see those 15 bodies and a little
respect for the tactics..

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:50:35 +1000, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
wrote:

Oh ya.. I've been killed by two newbie boomers before.. I think
twice.. back in the day when GE's were more powerful than they are
now.. it sucked.. but.. it doesn't happen to me often. They killed me
without even trapping me.. just SURPRISE... You are Dead!..

Lots of times blue will casts stone wall in the tethra keep to try and
get oyu dead.. it works quite well and you really gotta watch who is
around.. There are several assholes who do this in the deamon room..

A long time ago, people used to cast the energy field and firewall
onto the same space (Can't do anymore).. that was death.. no way out..

- Xigam

>I think this kind of stuff has been around looong before stat loss.
>
>Otara

Jeff Gentry

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Eric A. Hall (eh...@ehsco.com) wrote:
: First of all, it's not an "exploit" since it is playing the game terrain

If it isn't an exploit, then there is no problem with what the PKs did.
PvM should be treated with the same logic as PvP. Just because there
are AIs at the other end, it is immaterial - IMO. Just as the AI skels
are moronic and set themselves up for easy slaughter, the people at
the "skill wall" are moronic and set themselves up for easy slaughter.

: as designed by OSI. If the players are willing to work as a team to

: fight monsters that are more advanced than them, then the more power to
: them. Furthermore, on Catskills the GMs have put in teleport tiles on

If the players are willing to work as a team to fight characters that are

more advanced than them, then the more power to them.

However, just as you chose the easy way out in PvM, they chose the easy
way out in PvP.

: both sides of the doorway so that players can come and go without having

: to disturb the wall. So its human interaction, team work and an overall
: positive use of the terrain in a way that is supported by OSI. This is
: not an "exploit" like jumping off a boat near a house so that you are
: bounced into the hous...

The PKs used human interaction, team work and an overall positive use

of the terrain in a way that is supported by OSI. This is not an
"exploit"

Richard Cortese

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Damocles <phae...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On 25 Oct 1999 15:05:03 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:
>

> >> It's a skill raising exploit anyway, taking advantage of primitive
> >> AI and an easy choke hold.
> >
> >First of all, it's not an "exploit" since it is playing the game terrain
> >as designed by OSI. If the players are willing to work as a team to
> >fight monsters that are more advanced than them, then the more power to
> >them. Furthermore, on Catskills the GMs have put in teleport tiles on
> >both sides of the doorway so that players can come and go without having
> >to disturb the wall. So its human interaction, team work and an overall
> >positive use of the terrain in a way that is supported by OSI. This is
> >not an "exploit" like jumping off a boat near a house so that you are
> >bounced into the hous...
>
> They aren't fighting the monsters, they're allowing them to flow one
> by one against a wall of a dozen people or so. Have you ever tried
> fighting one of them in the actual room when one of these walls is
> active? Everyone starts screaming and yelling that you're wrecking
> their skill gain. 90% + of the chars using it are mules or dex monkeys
> in training for Order / Chaos fighting.
I've only been to Deciet once or twice in the last year. Naturally I find 3
mages standing on the lip of the Lich Lord pit casting blade spirits on the
Liches. I let my mouth run a bit as is my habit and recieved the normal
[fag, gay, azzhole, ...] response from them.

I know a trick with damage precedence, so I took a single kill from them and
you should have heard them squeel.

Naturally they were going for Glorious Lords or they would have done
something about beside make a vulgar tirade.

Nobody complains about other peoples' behavior like an exploiter/cheat/jerk.

Eric A. Hall

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

> They aren't fighting the monsters, they're allowing them to flow one
> by one against a wall of a dozen people or so.

The wall breaks down quite often and then everybody has to fight the
skels one-on-one, which gets very ugly very fast. I'll agree that there
are way too many low-level characters in the wall who shouldn't be there
at all. When the wall collapses it is very hard to get it back. The
place is really only suitable for fighters above 80 weapons skill.

> Have you ever tried fighting one of them in the actual room when one
> of these walls is active? Everyone starts screaming and yelling that
> you're wrecking their skill gain.

Well, you ARE wrecking their gain! How do you expect them to respond?
"Oh yes mister, please kill the monsters I am using for gain!" I'm not
saying you're right or wrong, but what do you expect? Mages and people
using silver get the same treatment; they are hated for killing the
skels too fast, meaning less hits (and less gain) per skel.

> 90% + of the chars using it are mules or dex monkeys in training for
> Order / Chaos fighting.

And this makes mass-bombing okay? Jeez just because walling and guild
warring isn't your style doesn't mean that its punishable by death. The
last time I checked guild warring was fully supported by the game
mechanics, as is the skel wall.

Quaestor

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> > It's a skill raising exploit anyway, taking advantage of primitive
> > AI and an easy choke hold.
>
> First of all, it's not an "exploit" since it is playing the game terrain

Always and ever, one player's Method is another player's Exploit. Hey, OS
tried to inflict a need for teamwork against the more powerful critters, by
making them outrageously powerful. Trouble is, they made it possible for any
critter in the game to be killed by the casting of a single spell (EV, BS, or
even Poison). They also made it possible to shoot over terrain that does not
permit passage, and since they did not include enough processing so a
machine-operated character could plan a path around obstacles, that means they
programmed in a number of viable methods for taking down the big boys without
having to have AR 70 and a platoon of healers for your dragon-slaying
swordsman.

It's in the game. As intended. How can it be an exploit? Simple. Those who
don't do it Want it to be an exploit.

Quaestor

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
As is the usual case when debating fine points of ethics, this has gotten rather
lengthly. Readers may want to go potty, start some laundry, and get a snack
before delving into this.

Richard Cortese wrote:

> Nobody complains about other peoples' behavior like an exploiter/cheat/jerk.

Using Methods like box trapping, cliff casting, and others, people can
accomplish things that are way beyond what anyone could do using no
intelligence. I have seen evidence of a guy swordfighting a wild drake
successfully - he was in AR70. That's it. One. There are many critters that
you simply cannot fight in a "fair" fight. One time a number of us very
well-qualified monster-bashers went to try a balron. Q was at the height of his
mace fighting trim then. The balron hit me ONCE and I was dead. Several others
went down the same way. Yet three of the party survived and defeated the thing,
using field spells of various sorts, and a lot of maneuvering. You just cannot
fight such things. You have to use methods. "Exploits."

I really doubt there are many who have fully played the game who have not used
methods that others call exploits. I always refused to use boxing or bagging,
etc, because it just was not my style. But when in Rome ... I was with that
TNO bunch the first time I did, setting up a fortress of boxes, a few of us
drawing the elementals to it, and all blasting away. It was fun, and allowed
the group to do what none of them could have done alone or without using a
method. You just don't slug it out with a poison elemental with no support -
and yes, being healed by someone else while you fight is Just as much an exploit
as bagging or boxing or terrain trapping ever was.

I just know that if You were slugging it out with liches (which I would enjoy if
it weren't for the probability of getting pk'd when the health gets a little
low) and someone came along and started using a method, if they took just one
kill from you you too would complain.

The problem here is not what is legal or intended - what is method or exploit.
The problem is lack of a sense of community. You don't like the other guy's
method partly because you are in competition with him. Well I don't either, and
would love the chance to go fight liches without the certainty of leaving (if at
all) just one step ahead of whatever jerks came along. But is there any chance
that complaining that someone else is using a method is going to change the
game? Or change them?

OK, severe bitching did indeed change the rules, so monsters now destroy items
that block their path, ending the bagging, boxing, meat-processing days pretty
good in most localities (your lich pit is an exception). That is as far as it's
going to go. That and some added processing so they are capable of stepping
around a simple terrain feature. Going to happen.

What else do we want? Must every fight with monsters be a simple affair of
attrition, where you mana dump on the lich and the lich mana dumps on you and
the winner is the guy who happens to score best? Is running away to heal
allowed? Since monsters don't (yet) heal themselves, is healing allowed at
all? Must we slug it out toe to toe with cyclops? Are pets allowed?

To put an end to the (I almost wrote whining!) Complaints about tactical
"exploits," we would have to see the game stripped of much of what makes it
interesting. When I could not possibly take on an earth elemental alone, I
loved devising methods to deal with them, almost entirely based on terrain and
fancy maneuvering (I never built a wall). This is how a 45 strength, 60 skill
guy with a maul could win against them, by creative use of terrain and
maneuver. This is how I advanced that character to the point where he could
fight them toe to toe. Thus, he enjoyed both ways of dealing with them.

Even now, Kai Du enjoys the game both ways. Normally she goes out into the Yew
woods, tames a couple of grizzlies, and these are her hunting partners. Fact
is, grizzlies cannot do damage fast enough to really be a major factor in most
monster fights out in the open (and are worthless in dungeons). They have to be
controlled and supported very effectively to do any real good. Kai Du has
Resist less than 40 (she's undergoing a major transition and I'm just having to
do without some things - this will change when Skill Management arrives). She
fearlessly takes on orc magi and gargoyles anyway, knowing exactly how to have
the bears interfere and take most of the punishment without ever being ordered
to attack. IS THIS AN EXPLOIT?

Of course, when she needs to make money, or really focus on taming for a while
without having to spend so much time fighting, she takes along a dragon which
makes short work of everything she encounters (other than the more capable pk).
Is THAT an exploit? When encountering a jerk who is tossing EV which she still
cannot be sure of Dispelling, she cranks off a scroll Gate, issues Follow Me
commands until the dragon responds, gets the timing right and steps through,
taking the dragon along even though it may be half a screen away, Just as the
Rules allow. Is THAT an exploit? They programmed it that way.

Quaestor (actually all my fighting characters now) have several weapons for
lich-busting that would start a major battle if it were known what they were and
that they were outside a guardzone. Weapons that can one- or two-hit a lich (on
tradespot the bidding for such things starts at 25k). When I go lich hunting,
it is always with a group (anyone can disconnect, and if you disconnect alone in
a lich room you are dead and looted). When I do this I have to be fast to get
hits in before either the group Corp Pors it to death or it kills one of us.
When I DO get in on the action I end up taking a lot of the kills because of the
monumental damage those weapons do. Is using those weapons an exploit?

To avoid dominating the scene in those cases, I usually try to get in one hit,
and if the group looks like it can handle it (it's all about timing), I back out
to let someone else take the kill. Is there something wrong with that?

We all have our favorite methods, and someone will find fault with any of them.
This fault-finding does no one any good in the vast majority of cases, and
mostly just creates hard feelings. Why bother? When I want to hunt a poison
and I find someone there trapping them I just let them be. Does this make me
bad?

OK, I would rather that they do the same thing in that lich pit that they did in
Destard, filling in or otherwise negating the traps, so you at least have to Try
to find a way to kill them. So you at least have to face some of the monsters'
firepower. But if they don't, I'll live with it. All those lich-buster weapons
I have will continue to gather dust most of the time, since the liches are the
property of the meat-processors and the pk that use them for bait.

May I suggest that we petition OS to create more spawn points of liches? Even
if the treasure had to be toned down? Then we might get a chance to fight a
few.

(OK, go see if your laundry is done.)

Opium

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
> You are all silly.. this was just good tactics on the part of the
> PKs..

The point was the PKs used a blue to block and disposable

probably newbie characters to kill so they don't face the risk
of stats loss. Maybe good tactics, but more some exploit.

> Can you not teleport beyond an energy field anyway?

Or just step into the gates? If the potions start blowing off
you won't have a chance casting even 2nd level.

> It's no different than what players do to monsters every day.. only
> you're on the other end of death..

Otara

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:18:55 +0200, Opium <w...@cares.com> wrote:
>Sure, it's cowardish and lame, but seems to be pretty effective.
>The loot of 15 people sounds like a good payment for 5 seconds work :-p
>However, harvesting monsters that can't fight back is also lame...
>
>This kind of behaviour is the result of stat loss for murderers.

I think this kind of stuff has been around looong before stat loss.

Otara

Otara

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Monsters dont have feelings, and have plenty of time to waste.

Otara

On 25 Oct 1999 15:36:23 GMT, gen...@rpi.edu (Jeff Gentry) wrote:

Otara

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 25 Oct 1999 15:43:45 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:
>I was there with a mid-level melee fighter trying to gm swords and
>maces, and I fully expected to die from skel knights anyway. I had
>crappy stuff. It wasn't the death that pissed me off. It was the
>cowardly use of bomber mules to collect loads of PHAT L3WT that disgusts
>me. This is not a part of "the game" at all. There's no defense for it,
>and I'm somewhat perturbed by the responses from this group to such a
>cowardly act.

I dont know...

It certainly does suck as a tactic, but I'm not sure if its as
infallible as people think - more of a surprise issue. Partial fix
would be making casting walls in dungeons a grey offense maybe.
They'll probably have to get rid if that spell in the PvP- areas, like
town.

Otara

Damocles

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:19:43 -0000, "Richard Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>I've only been to Deciet once or twice in the last year. Naturally I find 3
>mages standing on the lip of the Lich Lord pit casting blade spirits on the
>Liches. I let my mouth run a bit as is my habit and recieved the normal
>[fag, gay, azzhole, ...] response from them.
>
>I know a trick with damage precedence, so I took a single kill from them and
>you should have heard them squeel.
>
>Naturally they were going for Glorious Lords or they would have done
>something about beside make a vulgar tirade.
>

>Nobody complains about other peoples' behavior like an exploiter/cheat/jerk.

Heh, that's kind of an ironic point to make, given that I make a point
of immediately attacking any lich lord being hit by a vortex and
making the lord follow me away from the ledge. The vortex drops to the
ground and is either disspelled by the ll or, best case, attacks some
other idiot.

So, if you're implying that I'm an exploiter/cheat/jerk, find a better
example, eh?

Damocles

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 25 Oct 1999 17:55:49 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>> 90% + of the chars using it are mules or dex monkeys in training for
>> Order / Chaos fighting.
>
>And this makes mass-bombing okay? Jeez just because walling and guild
>warring isn't your style doesn't mean that its punishable by death. The
>last time I checked guild warring was fully supported by the game
>mechanics, as is the skel wall.

Did I say that I did it? I don't pk anyone, I just said that wall
bangers aren't exactly innocents.

Damocles

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:48:25 +1000, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
wrote:

>Monsters dont have feelings, and have plenty of time to waste.
>
>Otara

If time is the determinant, I'm sure you support unattended macroing
too, eh?

Damocles

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 25 Oct 1999 15:43:45 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>I was there with a mid-level melee fighter trying to gm swords and
>maces, and I fully expected to die from skel knights anyway. I had
>crappy stuff. It wasn't the death that pissed me off. It was the
>cowardly use of bomber mules to collect loads of PHAT L3WT that disgusts
>me. This is not a part of "the game" at all. There's no defense for it,
>and I'm somewhat perturbed by the responses from this group to such a
>cowardly act.

Heh, you think that's a cowardly pk tactic? You're aware that the
biggest names on the bounty board never leave their houses, eh? Meet
Boom Box Maker, GM tinker. As far as I can tell, the whole purpose of
having trapped boxes in the game is to see how many adventurers can
blow themselves up without ever seeing or even knowing who killed
them. You want to save hundreds of innocent lives, petition OSI to cut
tinker trap damage by 2 / 3 or so.

Otara

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
If others time didnt get wasted by it I might - but as it stands, it
does.

Otara

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:55:17 GMT, phae...@yahoo.com (Damocles)

Jeff Gentry

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Otara (sp...@spammity.com.au) wrote:
: Monsters dont have feelings, and have plenty of time to waste.

Still, I find the irony of both the initial post and many
of his followups astounding :P

I think that even if I was against PKing, I'd have to still
not to support him just based on that :)

Jeff Gentry

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Eric A. Hall (eh...@ehsco.com) wrote:
: No matter. The original point is that it's something you should all

: watch out for. I'm not crying over it; just sharing the experience so
: you can watch out for it. Don't be surprised if you start seeing armies
: of red bombers gating into the terrathon keep or titan valley or some
: other place and start tossing purples by the dozen.

I won't be surprised because I don't do my PvM in areas like that which
would be big targets :P

Jeff Gentry

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Eric A. Hall (eh...@ehsco.com) wrote:
: Well, you ARE wrecking their gain! How do you expect them to respond?

: "Oh yes mister, please kill the monsters I am using for gain!" I'm not
: saying you're right or wrong, but what do you expect? Mages and people
: using silver get the same treatment; they are hated for killing the
: skels too fast, meaning less hits (and less gain) per skel.

This is starting to sound too much like EQ ...

"HEY! Its MY turn on the spawn!"

Otara

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Yeah well you'd probably be in a better position to follow that line.

After all, I'm sure you can see why I'm having a bit of trouble with
the idea of PK's arguing that 'monsters have rights too' :).

Otara

Jeff Gentry

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Otara (sp...@spammity.com.au) wrote:
: After all, I'm sure you can see why I'm having a bit of trouble with

: the idea of PK's arguing that 'monsters have rights too' :).

*snickers*

A whole new breed of bleeding heart liberals?

I've always been an advocate that *ideally* NPCs and monsters should
be treated no different because of their CPU-controlled status.
In my early heavy-RP days, I considered someone who killed a NPC (in
beta you still got PhAt LeWT for doing it) the same as someone
who killed a PC - and if that meant simple fear/distrust, or me
trying to "bring them to justice", or even befriending them (depending
on the character I was playing), I went to lengths to keep that
continuity.

Obviously that is a wee bit absurd, but I think we should still
strive for that.

Thus, my stance that I think it is rediculous to complain about people
"shooting ducks in a barrel" against some PCs who are doing the exact
same thing at that time to Monsters :P

Eric A. Hall

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

> Thus, my stance that I think it is rediculous to complain about
> people "shooting ducks in a barrel" against some PCs who are doing
> the exact same thing at that time to Monsters :P

The complaint is that they used mules to do it. If I could create a mule
to gather skills and stats without putting my characters in harms way,
then THAT would be equal. As it stands, I have to put my chars at great
risk just so these twits can make a 50s alchemy mule and go lewt
harvesting. Surely even you can see the difference.

Xigam

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 26 Oct 1999 12:00:33 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>The complaint is that they used mules to do it. If I could create a mule
>to gather skills and stats without putting my characters in harms way,
>then THAT would be equal. As it stands, I have to put my chars at great
>risk just so these twits can make a 50s alchemy mule and go lewt
>harvesting. Surely even you can see the difference.

Well, they probably had a GM alchemist make the potions, 50 won't do
ya too good, you'd be better of buying off vendors..

Although they may have been throw aways, the did put their charactor
at risk.. any skills or stats they might have gained do not matter if
they are mules soo. at best some blue guy is getting money, not skills
or stats.

If you want to harvest loot, there are any number of ways to do it...
just collecting wool from sheep and junk on the ground does ok for a
brand new char.

- Xigam

Eric A. Hall

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

> at best some blue guy is getting money, not skills or stats.

Exactly.

Xigam

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 26 Oct 1999 16:49:42 GMT, gen...@rpi.edu (Jeff Gentry) wrote:

>Obviously that is a wee bit absurd, but I think we should still
>strive for that.

OOooo Colors..

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
On 26 Oct 1999 12:11:40 PDT, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

That's just he way it is.. If his red (throw-a-way or not) had killed
with a spear instead of GE's then same result. I can't think of a way
to tie the two actions together that would work..

At least it used to be alot worse..

Yuri Gorlinski

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
eh...@ehsco.com says...

>The complaint is that they used mules to do it.

Man, that's just too goddamn funny, this thread is insane...

Getting blown to pieces by a bunch of mules must be really
embarassing. This was very courageous of you, owning up to it here
in the newsgroup.

Shih-ka'i, OGD

Richard Cortese

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

> Heh, that's kind of an ironic point to make, given that I make a point
> of immediately attacking any lich lord being hit by a vortex and
> making the lord follow me away from the ledge. The vortex drops to the
> ground and is either disspelled by the ll or, best case, attacks some
> other idiot.
>
> So, if you're implying that I'm an exploiter/cheat/jerk, find a better
> example, eh?
Read it again, I was agreeing with you.

Eric A. Hall

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

> Getting blown to pieces by a bunch of mules must be really
> embarassing. This was very courageous of you, owning up to it here
> in the newsgroup.

Yes it is/was embarrassing. My melee guy has been pk'd four days in a
row down in deceit. Today was the first that he survived. Good skill
gains so it's worth it.

Hey sunsword, you need to put wandering healers on ice island!

Damocles

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99

There's a shrine not far from the entrance to Deceit.

Quaestor

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> > Getting blown to pieces by a bunch of mules must be really
> > embarassing. This was very courageous of you, owning up to it here
> > in the newsgroup.
>
> Yes it is/was embarrassing. My melee guy has been pk'd four days in a
> row down in deceit. Today was the first that he survived. Good skill
> gains so it's worth it.
>
> Hey sunsword, you need to put wandering healers on ice island!

They can be put there by us. Just hire them, lead them through a gate, and
release. I think for a while after that they won't res, but hopefully they
will go back to work after a time.

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> > Getting blown to pieces by a bunch of mules must be really
> > embarassing. This was very courageous of you, owning up to it here
> > in the newsgroup.
>
> Yes it is/was embarrassing. My melee guy has been pk'd four days in a
> row down in deceit. Today was the first that he survived. Good skill
> gains so it's worth it.
>
> Hey sunsword, you need to put wandering healers on ice island!

Well, that shrine on that island isn't all too far away....

-Smedley