Detecting PG

Yan

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Can any one tell me if it is possible to detect when a thief is Perma-
Grey (PG)? Stratics said that trying to steal from a PG will give a
different message than normal, but I tried stealing from suspicious
types today and had no luck; I do remember that OSI did something to
this a long time ago, but I cant remember that far back and cant find
anything on it.

The thing is, I want to start up a Detective char and reek my revenge on
all those thieves who have stolen my stuff over the years. Problem is,
you need to know if a thief is whackable once detected, else a Detective
char is little more than a crap git with a useless skill. I suppose you
could try and guess if a thief is PG, but this would probably lead to
you dying far more than the thief.

If anybody has any experience with this sort of char then any help would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any reply's...

--
Kyrer, GrandMaster Warrior - Europa ICQ 14979862
Shrimp, Adept Pickpocket - Europa

Kreskn

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Yan wrote:

-The thing is, I want to start up a Detective char and reek my revenge on
-all those thieves who have stolen my stuff over the years

Well I love the idea of this Detective character. And my Forensic
evaluation was at 60 once upon a time. IMO this is a skill they could really
enhance. Imagine the possibilites of assessing someones history or
character, being able to decern whether a person killed or stole recently.
Track down guilds, or find stolen items.... Ah the thought.
I think OSI really blew this skill. Alas my FE is now "0".. pity :(

Rooke LS

-All those who believe in suggestion. Raise my hand-

Richard Cortese

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Yan <Lur...@paraphrenix.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Can any one tell me if it is possible to detect when a thief is Perma-
> Grey (PG)? Stratics said that trying to steal from a PG will give a
> different message than normal, but I tried stealing from suspicious
> types today and had no luck; I do remember that OSI did something to
> this a long time ago, but I cant remember that far back and cant find
> anything on it.
If the chr is not perma gray, then you get the message ~"You are not a
member of the thieves guild". If the chr is perma gray, you get the message
"You successfully steal <item>" or "You failed to steal".

Don't know if it is patched yet, but OSI was going to change this to not
work and have the only way of detecting a thief via forensics.

If they did this, I would guess they are lovin the pooch on it. Probably
lets you see they are in the thieves guild but doesn't let you know if they
are attackable in town.

Erica Strafford

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
If they are stealing from other players, they are perma-grey. Meaning if you
kill them (even if they go back to being blue) their body will be grey and
free to loot. This doens't include snooping, just stealing. If you attack a
thief while he is grey (like when he just stole something) he will remain
grey until he dies or until the two of you stop fighting for 2 full minutes
(and tab out of combat mode).

Erica
--
Yan wrote in message ...

>Can any one tell me if it is possible to detect when a thief is Perma-
>Grey (PG)? Stratics said that trying to steal from a PG will give a
>different message than normal, but I tried stealing from suspicious
>types today and had no luck; I do remember that OSI did something to
>this a long time ago, but I cant remember that far back and cant find
>anything on it.
>

>The thing is, I want to start up a Detective char and reek my revenge on

Greg

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
That would be cool!
I would love to be able expose killers and thieves with that skill! Just making
em do the time for the crime... =)

Yan

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <FMpE4.7052$GW3....@news4.atl>, Erica Strafford
<chc...@bellsouth.net> writes

>If they are stealing from other players, they are perma-grey. Meaning if you
>kill them (even if they go back to being blue) their body will be grey and
>free to loot. This doens't include snooping, just stealing. If you attack a
>thief while he is grey (like when he just stole something) he will remain
>grey until he dies or until the two of you stop fighting for 2 full minutes
>(and tab out of combat mode).

I was under the impression that when you stole something from a
player, you never appeared grey unless spotted stealing; This is how it
works when stealing from NPC's and I thought the same applied to PC's.
If this is true, it would mean that the only time you ever saw a thief
turn grey in town is when they failed, thus getting guard whacked. The
question was, how do you tell the difference between a real blue and a
PG blue who has just stolen?

Yan

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <xppE4.386$_A1....@198.235.216.4>, Kreskn
<kre...@nospam.com> writes

> Well I love the idea of this Detective character. And my Forensic
>evaluation was at 60 once upon a time. IMO this is a skill they could really
>enhance. Imagine the possibilites of assessing someones history or
>character, being able to decern whether a person killed or stole recently.
>Track down guilds, or find stolen items.... Ah the thought.
>I think OSI really blew this skill. Alas my FE is now "0".. pity :(
>
>Rooke LS
>
>-All those who believe in suggestion. Raise my hand-

You don't need the FE skill if you know what you are talking about, let
me give you an example:

*Adopts Sherlock Holms voice*

From this post I can deduce that you are a handsome, three legged, 2
foot 6, shaved orang-utan who owns a mule skinning business that has
recently fallen upon hard times.

Err... I may be a bit off on one or two points, no offence. :)

Yan

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <se48lj...@corp.supernews.com>, Richard Cortese
<rico...@netmagic.net> writes

>If they did this, I would guess they are lovin the pooch on it. Probably
>lets you see they are in the thieves guild but doesn't let you know if they
>are attackable in town.

Aye, I can detect thieves all right, but this seems a bit pointless
unless I know weather I can attack them or not. It just seems a bit
silly that some one you KNOW to be a thief can snoop all he wants, and
their is crap all you can do about it because you don't know if he's
actually managed to steal anything yet.

Lars Friedrich

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
"Yan" wrote:
> Can any one tell me if it is possible to detect when a thief is Perma-
> Grey (PG)?
To shorten it:
There is no possibility anymore.

Kreskn

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Yan deduced:

-From this post I can deduce that you are a handsome, three legged, 2
-foot 6, shaved orang-utan who owns a mule skinning business that has
-recently fallen upon hard times.

Remarkable!!
What you couldnt have know is that, when recently shaving my ass. I happened
to catch my 2 foot 6 third leg. In an attempt to mend the
handsome thing, it turned orange while I was tanning it.

When all possible solutions have been exhausted. The remaining,
however improbable must be the truth.

Richard Cortese

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

> In article <se48lj...@corp.supernews.com>, Richard Cortese
> <rico...@netmagic.net> writes
> >If they did this, I would guess they are lovin the pooch on it. Probably
> >lets you see they are in the thieves guild but doesn't let you know if
they
> >are attackable in town.
>
> Aye, I can detect thieves all right, but this seems a bit pointless
> unless I know weather I can attack them or not. It just seems a bit
> silly that some one you KNOW to be a thief can snoop all he wants, and
> their is crap all you can do about it because you don't know if he's
> actually managed to steal anything yet.
Everyone has three things working against them. #1 is Designer Dragon's
wife's and mother of his children favorite character to role play is a
thief. #2 Designer's Dragon's little brother loves to be a pest thief in the
game. #3 a lot of OSI employees are pest types.

Only thing working in people's favor is the new development team doesn't
seem to want to continue the bias.

Erica Strafford

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Well you do only turn grey if you get noticed. But sometimes you'll turn
grey without getting guard whacked (meaning you stole successfully, but you
were noticed, and no one called the guards). But either way, blue or no
blue, if the person is stealing from other players then once killed their
body is grey and free to loot. Even if they weren't noticed, their body will
be grey once they die. PLUS they can't give a murder count, nor can they get
one. So if you want revenge, and you see them out of town, and don't mind
being grey yourself for about 2 mins, then feel free to whack them however
you want.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to get revenge INSIDE of town, and the
thief is blue, you can't do it. Plain and simple. No matter what.

There really is no such thing as "perma"-grey. Either it wears off after two
minutes, or else you lose it when you die. Even if someone attacked the
thief when he was grey, if no one ELSE attacks him within that first two
minutes, then before long the thief will appear blue to everyone except his
attacker.

Erica
--
Yan wrote in message <4Z$bpEAl8j44Ewv$@paraphrenix.fsnet.co.uk>...

>In article <FMpE4.7052$GW3....@news4.atl>, Erica Strafford
><chc...@bellsouth.net> writes
>>If they are stealing from other players, they are perma-grey. Meaning if
you
>>kill them (even if they go back to being blue) their body will be grey and
>>free to loot. This doens't include snooping, just stealing. If you attack
>>thief while he is grey (like when he just stole something) he will remain
>>grey until he dies or until the two of you stop fighting for 2 full
minutes
>>(and tab out of combat mode).
>
> I was under the impression that when you stole something from a
>player, you never appeared grey unless spotted stealing; This is how it
>works when stealing from NPC's and I thought the same applied to PC's.
>If this is true, it would mean that the only time you ever saw a thief
>turn grey in town is when they failed, thus getting guard whacked. The
>question was, how do you tell the difference between a real blue and a
>PG blue who has just stolen?

Yan

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <2lsE4.93045$l81.9...@newscene.newscene.com>, Lars
Friedrich <Iya...@generalmail.net> writes

>There is no possibility anymore.

Dammit, I really wanted to start up a Detective char, even more so
than my Rogue. It was really cool following suspects though Brit while
attempting to see if they were in the thieves Guild, trying to stay
hidden behind building and look inconspicuous when they walked past. I
suppose there is no longer any room for the more exotic professions in
UO, if your not into combat or making stuff then all that's left is
thieving.

Damocles

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:46:18 -0000, "Richard Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>Yan <Lur...@paraphrenix.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Can any one tell me if it is possible to detect when a thief is Perma-

>> Grey (PG)? Stratics said that trying to steal from a PG will give a
>> different message than normal, but I tried stealing from suspicious
>> types today and had no luck; I do remember that OSI did something to
>> this a long time ago, but I cant remember that far back and cant find
>> anything on it.

>If the chr is not perma gray, then you get the message ~"You are not a
>member of the thieves guild". If the chr is perma gray, you get the message
>"You successfully steal <item>" or "You failed to steal".
>
>Don't know if it is patched yet, but OSI was going to change this to not
>work and have the only way of detecting a thief via forensics.
>

>If they did this, I would guess they are lovin the pooch on it. Probably
>lets you see they are in the thieves guild but doesn't let you know if they
>are attackable in town.

This was patched, you can no longer detect a thief using the stealing
method.

Lars Friedrich

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
"Erica Strafford" wrote:
> On the other hand, if you're wanting to get revenge INSIDE of town, and
the
> thief is blue, you can't do it. Plain and simple. No matter what.
Of course you can.

> There really is no such thing as "perma"-grey.

Well, I hate to say it but this is not true.

> Either it wears off after two minutes, or else you lose it when you die.

The grey status wears off, but not the criminal flag.

Bane Macleod

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
> There really is no such thing as "perma"-grey. Either it wears off after
two

> minutes, or else you lose it when you die. Even if someone attacked the

A player who steals from another player is perma-greyed. Meaning he is
freely killable until he dies. Too early so I dont know if that makes sense.
Does it? Anyway, I know it is true ;)

Steal from PC - Grey until next death
Though not visibly Grey <sigh>

And somewhere there is a petition to make the FE skill detect Perma-Grey I
will attempt to find the address..

Bane