Reagent Woes

Zan'Zan

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Can someone tell me what is up with the instant outtage of reagents?
Here is what I mean.
I am standing there trying to buy 100 black pearl and clicking the
little plus sign like a madman trying to get my 100 before they go
"null" . I am at say 80 and still clicking like crazy and someone else
comes and initiates a purchase from the same vendor (i am speaking of
the shop kind) and within just a few seconds the item is removed from my
list and the vendor has 0 or "null". How can someone buy out the other
150 in 2 seconds ??? ARGH!!!! very very frustrating. Gets me so damn
mad. Anyway are these people doing something different? Is there a
command that allows you to buy all the items without clicking the + sign
for ever?? This happens all the time and I cant understand what is
happening. Info please!!
--
The Admirable Zan'Zan
Adept Mage , Chesapeake

Straka

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Perhaps they are buying all 100 or so that quick using an external
program...but it is also likely that they are simply buying one of
everything so that everyone else gets screwed. The smartest thing to do is
to watch the vendor. As soon as the vendor says "Excuse me Zan'Zan....",
quickly buy the reagents if you have a good supply...dont hesitate!. Do it
right then! Then hit the other vendors and hope that they are in
stock...good luck. You may also want to try Wind ;)

-Ignoble Straka
Guardians of Virtue, Baja

Jadesfyre

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

You just have to hold down the mouse button when you click it on the +
sign....much faster.
Unless you wanted to become GM clicker......
;)

Justin H.

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

> Can someone tell me what is up with the instant outtage of reagents?
> Here is what I mean.
> I am standing there trying to buy 100 black pearl and clicking the
> little plus sign like a madman trying to get my 100 before they go
> "null" . I am at say 80 and still clicking like crazy and someone else
> comes and initiates a purchase from the same vendor (i am speaking of
> the shop kind) and within just a few seconds the item is removed from my
> list and the vendor has 0 or "null". How can someone buy out the other
> 150 in 2 seconds ??? ARGH!!!! very very frustrating. Gets me so damn
> mad. Anyway are these people doing something different?
> --
> The Admirable Zan'Zan
> Adept Mage , Chesapeake

Click faster. *Grin* Well...since your on the Chesapeake shard and no
threat to getting my regs..I'll tell you how :) Just hold the + button
thingee.....dont keep clickin it, works MUCH faster for me. Goodluck

-The Proper Zhariken
Adept Mage, Catskills

Stupid

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Hold down on the + sign, and also, faster computer/graphics card would
help.. but just to buy regs? LOL

Zan'Zan wrote in message <3582A788...@netins.net>...
>Can someone tell me what is up with the instant outtage of reagents?
>Here is what I mean.
>I am standing there trying to buy 100 black pearl and clicking the
>little plus sign like a madman trying to get my 100 before they go
>"null" . I am at say 80 and still clicking like crazy and someone else
>comes and initiates a purchase from the same vendor (i am speaking of
>the shop kind) and within just a few seconds the item is removed from my
>list and the vendor has 0 or "null". How can someone buy out the other
>150 in 2 seconds ??? ARGH!!!! very very frustrating. Gets me so damn
>mad. Anyway are these people doing something different? Is there a
>command that allows you to buy all the items without clicking the + sign
>for ever?? This happens all the time and I cant understand what is
>happening. Info please!!

Janus

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Dont get greedy. If the mage's shoppe is busy at all, buy in bursts. I
generally buy in 10-20 reg bursts, mainly because when I first started out,
I tried to get more, and inevitably it would turn null and I would then end
up with squat.

Also, this works to keep others from buying the whole lot. With respawn
rates as slow as they are, I dont like people (even good people) who go into
magic shops and buy 150 regs of one kind all at once and then move to wipe
out another reg of another kind. I dont think it is a crime, per se, but it
is irritating, and buying in bursts is an equally legal way of keeping one
character from wiping out the store (at :20 when it reportedly respawns)
leaving jack for anyone else wanting regs.

And if you think this disruption of bulk buying is childish, I will take you
to a few vendors who are selling 1000's of each regs for 20+ gps each. I
dont think this is childish at all. I simply get what I need, which is not
much anyway.

Again, I know that many good guys out there buy in bulk, because they use
magic in bulk, not because they are scumbags who then get their vendors to
gouge. But when I buy in bursts and disrupt their attempt to keep me from
buying any at all, I wont have any sympathy.

--
"Charley was right in what he said about me; namely, that I was a crap
artist. All the facts I had learned were just so much crap." Philip K.

Gordon Gano

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

> gouge. But when I buy in bursts and disrupt their attempt to keep me from
> buying any at all, I wont have any sympathy.

buying in bursts does nothing to stop me from buying the whole stock of
one reg. i can have over 200 regs on my buy list in under 5 seconds, so
little bursts wont stop me at all. also, when you buy in bursts, every
2nd or 3rd burst, the price goes up. first 10 root 3gold, 2nd 10, 3gold,
3rd 10 4gold, 4th 10 5gold and so on... i've seen mandrake root on
shopkeeps for 12 gold before. that's why i buy an entire stock at once
when the prices are low. also that way when i run low on reags, i simply
have to recall home, pick up another bag, and away i go =)

--
,> )\ `a_ Lord Gordon Gano _a' /(
( _ )/ /{_~~Adept Swordsman~~_}\ \( -

The Master

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Zan'Zan wrote:

> Can someone tell me what is up with the instant outtage of reagents?

Dweebs with too much money, wanting too much more, so they go hit the regs
dealers right on schedule, and buy everything they have.

> Here is what I mean.
> I am standing there trying to buy 100 black pearl and clicking the
> little plus sign like a madman trying to get my 100 before they go
> "null" . I am at say 80 and still clicking like crazy and someone else

Don't click. Hold. The number scrolls up real fast that way. And do your
purchases Quickly, one type at a time, and close the deal fast, so SuperBuyer
can't snatch the stuff from you.

Consider doing that same thing to them, if you can afford it. I got a couple
of bulk-buyers (who then resell at their vendors for double or more the going
rate) real pissed when I found a seller they had not wiped out yet. I was
buying Ash, and when I saw them coming, instead of the 20 I was going to take,
I just leaned on the button and bought it all. SCREWED me for bux, but it was
funny to see them start to $#@%@!

And I have a truckload of Ash. Anyone need some? At double the going rate?
:-)

The Master

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Jadesfyre wrote:

> You just have to hold down the mouse button when you click it on the +
> sign....much faster.
> Unless you wanted to become GM clicker......
> ;)

Stop that! You'll go blind!

Janus

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Gordon Gano wrote in message <358350...@NOSPAM.iname.com>...

>> gouge. But when I buy in bursts and disrupt their attempt to keep me from
>> buying any at all, I wont have any sympathy.
>
>buying in bursts does nothing to stop me from buying the whole stock of
>one reg. i can have over 200 regs on my buy list in under 5 seconds

I can have over 10 regs, purchased, in about one second. And it messes up
your bulk attempt 4 seconds ahead of time. You can go for 200 in 5 seconds
everytime; but, I can mess it up with 10 regs and a quick purchase
everytime. But please understand, I dont do this maliciously. I just want my
10 or so regs before big galoots like you take them all. :P

> so
>little bursts wont stop me at all. also, when you buy in bursts, every
>2nd or 3rd burst, the price goes up. first 10 root 3gold, 2nd 10, 3gold,
>3rd 10 4gold, 4th 10 5gold and so on... i've seen mandrake root on
>shopkeeps for 12 gold before

Aye, this is true. But when my bursts interrupts the bulk buyer, it jacks up
his price as well. It is a price you have to pay if you want to have some
reagents as compared to none.

>that's why i buy an entire stock at once
>when the prices are low. also that way when i run low on reags, i simply
>have to recall home, pick up another bag, and away i go =)

Please understand that I am not calling you a crook. If we are both standing
there, and you get the bulk before I can get any, so be it. It is the nature
of the game. But if I interrupt your bulk, it is also the nature of the
game. And besides, I am in little league. I only buy about 20-30 anyway. And
even if you get all of it, good. Better you then some scumbag.

Unless you are a scumbag. In which case, I will hunt you down, cut down
logs, and throw the logs at you. Take that, foul Blue! ;P

:P :) :: :)* ))* *(^ -)(* )!

Legion

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:27:55 -0400, Straka
<toasty...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Perhaps they are buying all 100 or so that quick using an external
>program...but it is also likely that they are simply buying one of
>everything so that everyone else gets screwed. The smartest thing to do is
>to watch the vendor. As soon as the vendor says "Excuse me Zan'Zan....",
>quickly buy the reagents if you have a good supply...dont hesitate!. Do it
>right then! Then hit the other vendors and hope that they are in
>stock...good luck. You may also want to try Wind ;)
>
>-Ignoble Straka
>Guardians of Virtue, Baja

Tip. Most vendors spawn regs at 20 after the hour. Atleast on LS...

Jaquar - Lake Superior
(it's a Q not a G)
Reavers Website : http://www.huneyvaughn.com/reavers

Legion

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:26:10 -0500, Gordon Gano
<gordo...@NOSPAM.iname.com> wrote:

>> gouge. But when I buy in bursts and disrupt their attempt to keep me from
>> buying any at all, I wont have any sympathy.
>
>buying in bursts does nothing to stop me from buying the whole stock of

>one reg. i can have over 200 regs on my buy list in under 5 seconds, so

>little bursts wont stop me at all. also, when you buy in bursts, every
>2nd or 3rd burst, the price goes up. first 10 root 3gold, 2nd 10, 3gold,
>3rd 10 4gold, 4th 10 5gold and so on... i've seen mandrake root on

>shopkeeps for 12 gold before. that's why i buy an entire stock at once

>when the prices are low. also that way when i run low on reags, i simply
>have to recall home, pick up another bag, and away i go =)

Yep, I am sure this pisses people off, but I am a very active mage. I
really do go through 200+ of every reg in a session. Sometime 400+

Dragonspit

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

>>stock...good luck. You may also want to try Wind ;)

Im just geting to the point where i can actually get in wind...

are there many regs there?!?!
im a bit wairy about taking my usual amount of reg purchase money in a
place that has deamons, dragons and such...or are the monsters in a
different part of the City/Dungeon, i also heard you cant recal directly
into Wind.
So, i cant recall straight to the reg shops :(

--
Dragonspit the Expert Mage + Other stuff

Jason Smith-Better'n Baked Bread

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Well, there are about one or two shops there that sell reagents, but in
my experience they usually don't have much (maybe 10 of each). As for the
monsters, they are not in the city itself as that is under guard protection,
but they are in the caves around the city. On the whole though, they are
pretty easy to avoid if you want to since there are a lot of stalagmites and
such for them to get trapped on, and, they usually don't spawn en masse. The
only monsters there that I've seen that spawn more than one at a time is the
drakes in the southeast corner of Wind, but as this isn't a really necessary
place to be (you can get around it very easily by going through different
tunnels) you shouldn't have any trouble with them unless you are looking for
it.