Tactics for fighting orc scouts

Albert Baker III

May 26, 2001, 8:33:40 AM5/26/01
I have recently tried to aquire an orc bow, and with the help of the others
there I came upon one tactic that truely helps when fighting theses scouts.
If you poison them they have trouble hiding and stealthing, usually is
impossible for them. Allows for people to bring them down quicker. I was
wondering if there are any other tactics I might think about using,
esspecially with my arcanely challenged characters.

By the way, this might come as a surprise, I took my first trip to look for
orc scouts this morning and my fellow hunters were rather helpful. Even to
the point of healing my mage while I soloed the scout and got the kill and
the loot. And on top of that, if there were any tamers there (one person
with a unicorn...she may have been) they didn't bring any pet dragons or
wyrms!

--
Sunday

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot
of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

konrador

May 26, 2001, 8:54:05 AM5/26/01
On 26 maj 2001 "Albert Baker III" <albe...@home.com> wrote:

[...]

hmm special tactics? exp/eb? i dunno if there anything special about it but
it works hehe

--
[ konrador | www.konrador.prv.pl ]
[ uin. 8899390 | konr...@hot.pl ]

Myrex

May 26, 2001, 8:54:27 AM5/26/01
Albert Baker III woke up on Sat, 26 May 2001 12:33:40 GMT and sat in
rec.games.computer.ultima.online writing in message

> I have recently tried to aquire an orc bow, and with the help of the
> others there I came upon one tactic that truely helps when fighting
> theses scouts. If you poison them they have trouble hiding and
> stealthing, usually is impossible for them. Allows for people to bring
> them down quicker. I was wondering if there are any other tactics I
> might think about using, esspecially with my arcanely challenged
> characters.

Ahh, I had a similar thought for warrior types, using explosion potions to
flush them out if that works.

--
"I need your help on a treasure hunt - there may be mongbats."
Howard (The Coward) Carter

UK UO players meeting 23rd June 2001
www.myrex.co.uk
#rgcuo irc - irc.stratics.com port 6667

Dani

May 26, 2001, 9:49:56 AM5/26/01

Albert Baker III <albe...@home.com> wrote in message

>And on top of that, if there were any tamers there (one person
> with a unicorn...she may have been) they didn't bring any pet dragons or
> wyrms!

I can see that a rude, greedy tamer would be a nuisance, as would a rude
greedy bard, warrior, archer, or whatever. What is this downer on tamers
recently? Its a valid playstyle/profession, and as Ive said before, you'll
get "twinks" in every category
My tamer went to find a bow yesterday and killed two scouts, found a bow and
moved on. I went to a remote place where no other players would be affected.
Im not unique or special or extra-kind. In fact most of the tamers I know
are just as pissed with the campers WHATEVER their combat skill.
Give us a break, please?

Dani

Ron

May 26, 2001, 10:12:27 AM5/26/01

Dani wrote:

> I went to a remote place where no other players would be affected.
> Im not unique or special or extra-kind. In fact most of the tamers I know
> are just as pissed with the campers WHATEVER their combat skill.
> Give us a break, please?
>
> Dani

I get a few scouts to follow me up and out of the way, ussually no one notices.
I got quite a few bows and sell them to my guildmates and freinds cheap. The
greif tactics being used by others is mainly for the masks, I killed oover 100
mages last night and got no mask... killed about 4 scouts for every 1 bow. The
thing that Im most upset about is the fact the prices on arrows is falling fast.
I sell 100 arrows for 500gp<thats cheap on my shard>. Ill be loweing the price
probly by 100gp every week untill i end up just stacking them away for later
sales.

As far as tactics I took my parry swordsman, Bash bash bash, detect, bash bash
loot. It doesnt take anymore then 5 detect hidden... most people can afford to
waste 5 points on detect, I tried purple pots on one orc i couldnt detect and
still couldnt get him out<this was t2a So i got no doubt it was just the bumpy
ass spot he was on>

--
"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom,
wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love,

Albert Baker III

May 26, 2001, 3:03:03 PM5/26/01
Dani <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I can see that a rude, greedy tamer would be a nuisance, as would a rude
> greedy bard, warrior, archer, or whatever. What is this downer on tamers
> recently? Its a valid playstyle/profession, and as Ive said before, you'll
> get "twinks" in every category
> My tamer went to find a bow yesterday and killed two scouts, found a bow
and
> moved on. I went to a remote place where no other players would be
affected.
> Im not unique or special or extra-kind. In fact most of the tamers I know
> are just as pissed with the campers WHATEVER their combat skill.
> Give us a break, please?
>
> Dani

I don't have a problem with tamers, in fact I was thinking of working my
tailor/alchemist up to doing it himself. It just seems that alot of tamers
I run into outside of town are what most would refer to as twinks. Just the
other day one came to the bone knight room where we had a nice sized group
dismantling boneknights with practice weapons trying to gain skill, only to
have a friendly tamer come in with his dragon and keap the room clean of the
bone knights. And that seems to be the stereotype of tamers right now, that
is the only reason I made the comment. And you may want to notice that the
tamers I spoke of in my post were friendly and helpful!

I would have to agree that there are jerks in any skill, but right now the
tamers seem to be taking the brunt of everyones anger. Couldn't tell you
exactly why.

Dani

May 26, 2001, 4:23:06 PM5/26/01

> Dani <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> I would have to agree that there are jerks in any skill, but right now the
> tamers seem to be taking the brunt of everyones anger. Couldn't tell you
> exactly why.

Well, I saw a guy on Europa Trammel last night standing at Brit bank
shouting "I hate 60/60 tamers". I don't blame him to be honest. I could
hardly move for all the dragons, wyrms, mares and ossies lined up for sale.
One GM Ranger was quite happily spamming "Nightmares for sale, only 60/60
taming/lore required. Feel the power between your legs for only 20k"

I think thats a huge part of it. Someone made a suggestion here last week I
think, that you should only be able to own what you can tame. I'm all for
it. Partly for selfish reasons - now I can actually tame the big guys, I
want it to feel special, and it's not while every other player owns a
dragon. It was a long 12 months for Hylle to get where she is. It's a bugger
of a skill to raise. On a par with provocation I've found - and partly
because having put in all that work, I don't want everyone hating my char or
shouting "Dammit" as soon as they see me in a dungeon.

It would mean my newbie tamer putting her mare in stables for a few months,
but would surely help with the "60-60 twink" problem. I've had to kill 2
dragons, a mare and a frenzied ostard (:p) in the last two weeks that had
gone wild (through inability to control I guess?) and just been left in
dungeons. One was in the Star Room for heavens sakes!

I haven't got a solution for the commercial tamers, who would no doubt
scream "you're taking away our livelihood", but owning a dragon gives you
one of the fastest ways to make money in the game anyway.

I'm rambling. I guess I'm in agreement that something needs to be done, I do
hate taking the brunt of other players' "twinkishness".
As Orion said "I don't care how *nice* some of the tamers are, the rest of
them are jerks and give them all a bad name."

Would someone please give me a link to this tamer debate I keep hearing
about. I'll go rant there instead! :)

Dani

Duckman

May 27, 2001, 2:02:12 AM5/27/01
Hail all. One simple question regarding these orc scouts. Tonight I
decided to take a look at what this marvel is that everyone is talking
about. Went to Cove and of course, 40 people, tamers with their dragons,
warriors and such. My question is "What is the reasoning for these
dragons?" I mean they are just orcs right? Isn't that just a slight
overkill? I can understand for the looting right, but I would figure
casting a flamestrike would do the trick for more than 1/2 damage. I'm
curious.
Thanks.

Duck of Sonoma

Albert Baker III

May 27, 2001, 2:30:34 AM5/27/01
In fact flamestrike or a couple of corp pors will do the trick. I had a
scout cornered tonight when a tamer and his dragon came swooping in for the
kill. The tamer left cursing because he had no rights to the loot in the
body while I was healing my wounds (was using my mage and they can hurt you
pretty good if you don't pay attention). I got the loot that time but no
bow unfortunatly

--
Sunday

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot
of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Duckman <sirdu...@home.com> wrote in message

Duckman

May 27, 2001, 11:13:17 AM5/27/01
Thanks for responding. So basically I'm right then, right? It is just a
plain overkill? Would be nice to hear a tamers point of view on this. I
mean lately all I see are tamers whining because of this or that and that
they don't get the proper credit they would like. But yet, I see this.
LOL. I don't want to discredit them in any way. I was just curious on
their reasoning.

Duck of Sonoma
"Think of the solution, not the problem"

"OrionCA" <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 27 May 2001 06:02:12 GMT, "Duckman" <sirdu...@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hail all. One simple question regarding these orc scouts. Tonight I
> >decided to take a look at what this marvel is that everyone is talking
> >about. Went to Cove and of course, 40 people, tamers with their dragons,
> >warriors and such. My question is "What is the reasoning for these
> >dragons?" I mean they are just orcs right? Isn't that just a slight
> >overkill? I can understand for the looting right, but I would figure
> >casting a flamestrike would do the trick for more than 1/2 damage. I'm
> >curious.
> >Thanks.
>

> Part of the "I don't play to win, I play to CRUSH!!!" mentality.
> Dragons are the most efficient way to harvest goodies in this game:
> They hit hard and fast, kill in 1-2 shots, and there's -0- risk to
> you. That last bit is the important part with tamers, btw: While
> some tame for the glory and honor of doing something hard and
> impressive, many have simply figured out that while you're busy
> whomping on their dragon they have more time to run away and hide.
> --
> "I don't understand it. When I raised the tax from
> 100% to 200% in Scara Brae revenues went from 107,000/day
> to -1000. You wouldn't think raising taxes a little bit
> would impact revenues so much: It must be a bug."
> - Faction leader, complaining on OSI's forums.

Kai Rode

May 27, 2001, 12:15:20 PM5/27/01
Well, I've found a good tactic for fighting those scouts. Required: one
lumberjacker with good connection (you), one axe, one mage and several
tamers.

Wait for a scout to appear. Run like hell and hit him. By the time you
get the second blow in, he will probably be Corp Pored and All Killed by
the other players and teleport away.

Wait for the mage to Wis Quas (Reveal) the scout. You'll be able to get
a third blow in and the tamers' pets will bring the scout down to almost
zero health. Your fourth blow may kill the scout and since you dealt the
majority of damage and possibly the last blow, you'll have looting
rights. Be careful: so may one of the tamers. But since you are
meeleeing the scout, you'll be closer to the corpse.

Works perfectly for me again and again.

Kai

Dani

May 27, 2001, 12:36:19 PM5/27/01

> Thanks for responding. So basically I'm right then, right? It is just a
> plain overkill? Would be nice to hear a tamers point of view on this. I
> mean lately all I see are tamers whining because of this or that and that
> they don't get the proper credit they would like. But yet, I see this.
> LOL. I don't want to discredit them in any way. I was just curious on
> their reasoning.
>
> Duck of Sonoma
> "Think of the solution, not the problem"

I find your posts both insulting and provocative. Tamers are getting a real
bashing at the moment, and we have been defending ourselves, not "whining".
(Not a popular choice of word for this ng, by the way).
All I hear are generalisations, attacks and accusations. We should not have
to defend ourselves. I find ANYONE who kill-steals and fame whores off
others' hard work to be a real pain in the arse. That includes the warrior
who hit EVERY lich lord that appeared in fire dungeon last night with his
silver vanq mace, naturally waiting for my dragon to attack first, so he
wouldnt get hit himself. That includes the bards who provoke the dragons I
am trying to tame, and the mages who get the last hit in when I've been
soloing an ice fiend with my warrior. ANYONE who interferes like this is an
arsehole. That title is not reserved for tamers, I assure you.

And how about if my character wanted to be a tamer, period. I have one on
AOL who doesnt want to fight, anything, ever. She wants to tame, she has
peacemaking to deter attackers, but if she's targeted, of course the pets
will defend her.
It's not about power. Its about enjoying raising a skill which is both
challenging and time-consuming. And why not hit an orc with a dragon rather
than a vanq war mace or a katana of orc-slaying?
Each to his own, no?

The problem lies in intolerance. Your intolerance of other peoples'
playstyles for a start. Go work on that why don't you? And stop plonking us
all in a category marked "Dragon owner/Twink". ok?

Dani

Duckman

May 27, 2001, 1:21:58 PM5/27/01
As I said, and will repeat, I wasn't trying to bash the tamers which is
obviously you =). All I was wondering is why these tamers have their
dragons on the orc scouts. I didnt' see any harm in asking that. If you
want to take it personal.. your choice.

"Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Pam

May 27, 2001, 3:46:42 PM5/27/01
On Sun, 27 May 2001 17:21:58 GMT, "Duckman" <sirdu...@home.com>
wrote:

>As I said, and will repeat, I wasn't trying to bash the tamers which is
>obviously you =). All I was wondering is why these tamers have their
>dragons on the orc scouts. I didnt' see any harm in asking that. If you
>want to take it personal.. your choice.

If all you really want to know is why tamers use dragons to kill orc
scouts then that's simple. To kill the orc scouts. heh The
question, as posed, is silly. It would be like me asking "why does a
warrior bring a sword to kill an orc scout?" or "Why does a mage bring
reagants to kill an orc scout?". A tamer enlists the aid of his or
her pets as a means of offense much like a warrior uses weapons.

Pam

Brandy

May 27, 2001, 6:35:47 PM5/27/01

"Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I got on Europa a little after server up this morning to try to get an orc
bow. There were already 2 tamers camping the spawn and neither had control
of their pets. Both died a time or two due to that lack of control.
Fortunately, that early in the day, there were only the 2 and I managed to
lead a couple scouts off a few screens and kill them, getting a bow. Trying
to get one without leading them off as a warrior was pointless, because the
tamers stole every one they could.

So there is a problem here, whether you acknowledge it or not. Maybe it's
just the twink tamers that are asses, I don't know, but the problem does
exist.

--
Brandy (SP)

Otara

May 27, 2001, 7:44:14 PM5/27/01
On Sun, 27 May 2001 17:36:19 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>I find your posts both insulting and provocative. Tamers are getting a real
>bashing at the moment, and we have been defending ourselves, not "whining".

"Well, I saw a guy on Europa Trammel last night standing at Brit bank

shouting "I hate 60/60 tamers". I don't blame him to be honest. I
could hardly move for all the dragons, wyrms, mares and ossies lined
up for sale."

"I haven't got a solution for the commercial tamers, who would no

doubt scream "you're taking away our livelihood", but owning a dragon
gives you one of the fastest ways to make money in the game anyway."

"I'm rambling. I guess I'm in agreement that something needs to be
done, I do hate taking the brunt of other players' "twinkishness".
As Orion said "I don't care how *nice* some of the tamers are, the
rest of them are jerks and give them all a bad name.""

I take it you've changed your position a bit then Dani?

Otara

Pam

May 27, 2001, 10:06:04 PM5/27/01
On Sun, 27 May 2001 22:35:47 GMT, "Brandy" <a...@dhrtysrt.fgr> wrote:

>I got on Europa a little after server up this morning to try to get an orc
>bow. There were already 2 tamers camping the spawn and neither had control
>of their pets. Both died a time or two due to that lack of control.
>Fortunately, that early in the day, there were only the 2 and I managed to
>lead a couple scouts off a few screens and kill them, getting a bow. Trying
>to get one without leading them off as a warrior was pointless, because the
>tamers stole every one they could.
>
>So there is a problem here, whether you acknowledge it or not. Maybe it's
>just the twink tamers that are asses, I don't know, but the problem does
>exist.

I think what is going on here is that you have tamers, such as myself,
who took the time to GM the skill. Then you have those who aren't
tamers who simply have pets they cannot control. I don't think many
people are arguing that there is a problem with how ownership of
dragon's is currently implemented.

I have a tamer. I really enjoyed raising the skill (and lore and vet)
so that I could hunt with a dragon or wyrm. I never bought a
pre-tame. I didn't handle a dragon until I could tame it myself. Now
that I have all of the skill building behind me I rarely play my tamer
anymore. Why? Simply because of the "twinks" out there that have no
business using pets that they cannot and will not control. It's
simply not worth it to me to take my pet out and hunt because of all
the grief that is flung at me even though I, personally, have done
nothing offensive to those who hate ALL tamers.

I totally support the "can't tame, can't own" idea that has been going
around for quite some time now. What OSI will eventually do about it
should be interesting but I do think something will be done.

The problem is that tamers are all lumped into one category. Just as
all mages used to be the class to hate it's now tamers who are the
brunt of so much hostility. I can't say that I blame people for being
annoyed when some 65 taming twit goes to a spawn area and makes a huge
mess of everything for all of the other players there. Please
remember, however, that griefers come in all skills and people really
should be careful about making broad statements about an entire group
of people.

Pam

Otara

May 27, 2001, 8:28:20 PM5/27/01
On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:06:04 -0700, Pam <p...@netgamepark.com> wrote:
> Please
>remember, however, that griefers come in all skills and people really
>should be careful about making broad statements about an entire group
>of people.
>
>Pam

I agree. Would that rationale also apply to comments made about people
who are objecting to various tamer issues? Because I see an awful lot
of stereotypes happening there too.

Otara

Pam

May 27, 2001, 10:46:09 PM5/27/01

On Mon, 28 May 2001 00:28:20 GMT, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au> wrote:

>I agree. Would that rationale also apply to comments made about people
>who are objecting to various tamer issues? Because I see an awful lot
>of stereotypes happening there too.
>
>Otara

Of course! It applies to anyone who makes broad, negative
generalizations about any "group" of people.

Pam

Drake

May 28, 2001, 12:08:26 AM5/28/01

> On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:06:04 -0700, Pam <p...@netgamepark.com> wrote:
>
> >I think what is going on here is that you have tamers, such as myself,
> >who took the time to GM the skill. Then you have those who aren't
> >tamers who simply have pets they cannot control. I don't think many
> >people are arguing that there is a problem with how ownership of
> >dragon's is currently implemented.
>
> There is also the problem that even if you are a GM Tamer it just
> means that you spent (x) number of tedious hours practicing on wolves
> and bears or whatever so that you could own tactical nuclear weapons.
> When Dani made the equivalency between a Vanq weapon and a dragon I
> saw the problem right there: #1 no weapon or spell in the game is one
> TENTH as good as having a dragon on staff and #2 it's hard to acquire
> a Vanq blade; they're fairly rare and the monsters what carry them
> tend to take large chunks out of your hide in the process (unless
> you're a tamer with dragons in tow). Tamers stand on ledges and say
> stupid things like, "I promise I won't hurt you/I've always wanted a
> pet like you..." to get dragons. The *HONEST* tamers, anyway: The
> rest buy theirs at the bank.
>
> Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
> I spent 3 weeks taming polar bears - I wore the decal off my F1 key
> (the one I have set to macro Useskill Taming/TargetLast) - my left
> little pinky is ALL SWOLLEN UP!" Yeah, right. Compare that to
> fighting Lich Lords - polar bears don't Flamestrike you. *Nothing*
> you tame until you get up to Nightmares and dragonkin objects
> strenuously to you following it around and spamming how much you want
> it for a pet. If every once in awhile bears and wolves got
> tempermental and bit GM-Tamers-in-Training for annoying them it would
> be different, but as it is all they have to do to earn the keys to the
> nuclear arsenal is spend a few weeks in mind-numbing boredom clicking
> their F1 key in near-perfect safety.

=P My GM Tamer on Wakoku had use skill taming/wait for target/last target
set on F1.

Otara

May 28, 2001, 12:51:41 AM5/28/01
On Mon, 28 May 2001 04:02:18 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> *Nothing* you tame until you get up to Nightmares and dragonkin objects
>strenuously to you following it around and spamming how much you want
>it for a pet.

Thats a little bit harsh - the mid 80's/late 90's monsters all have
some kind of ranged attack and will autoattack, unlike bears et al.
Fairly minor ones admittedly and of course you dont have to tame them
to get to high levels in taming.

But I tend to agree that getting to quite significant taming levels is
nowhere near the struggle that it apparently used to be.

Otara

gil

May 28, 2001, 1:11:43 AM5/28/01
Duckman wrote:

> As I said, and will repeat, I wasn't trying to bash the tamers which is
> obviously you =). All I was wondering is why these tamers have their
> dragons on the orc scouts. I didnt' see any harm in asking that. If you
> want to take it personal.. your choice.

Go reread your post where you said

> > > lately all I see are tamers whining because of this or that and that

Then reread the top-most quote of yours.

gil

Brandy

May 28, 2001, 1:56:31 AM5/28/01

"Otara" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

You can gm off of bulls and/or white wolves just as quickly as by using the
stuff that attacks you.

--
Brandy (SP)

Otara

May 28, 2001, 2:12:13 AM5/28/01
On Mon, 28 May 2001 05:56:31 GMT, "Brandy" <a...@dhrtysrt.fgr> wrote:
>You can gm off of bulls and/or white wolves just as quickly as by using the
>stuff that attacks you.

You can but you tend to run out before power hour is over, and my
experience wasalso that you do still get very good gains in power hour
by doing the hardest monster possible until the high 80's.

I suspect one reason I went up so fast compared to what some people
say is because I tamed all of the available monsters rather than just
the completely safe ones. Riskwise tho, I died only once during the
entire time, when i recalled into the middle of the T2A swamp and
crashed immediately afterwards.

Otara

Pam

May 28, 2001, 4:31:03 AM5/28/01
wrote:

>There is also the problem that even if you are a GM Tamer it just

>means that you spent (x) number of tedious hours practicing on wolves
>and bears or whatever so that you could own tactical nuclear weapons.
>When Dani made the equivalency between a Vanq weapon and a dragon I
>saw the problem right there: #1 no weapon or spell in the game is one
>TENTH as good as having a dragon on staff and #2 it's hard to acquire
>a Vanq blade; they're fairly rare and the monsters what carry them
>tend to take large chunks out of your hide in the process (unless
>you're a tamer with dragons in tow). Tamers stand on ledges and say
>stupid things like, "I promise I won't hurt you/I've always wanted a
>pet like you..." to get dragons. The *HONEST* tamers, anyway: The
>rest buy theirs at the bank.

I've never stood on a ledge to tame a darn thing nor have I ever
purchased a dragon/wyrm/nightmare/drake. Does this make me a
dishonest honest tamer? Nor have I ever stated that taming doesn't
need some sort of adjustment in order to make it not so overpowering.
I'm in favor of can't tame/can't own AND some limit as to how many
pets one can have in tow at one time. I've personally never hunted
with more than one pet at a time and think it's ridiculous to see
someone with multiple powerful pets along for the ride.

>Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
>I spent 3 weeks taming polar bears - I wore the decal off my F1 key
>(the one I have set to macro Useskill Taming/TargetLast) - my left
>little pinky is ALL SWOLLEN UP!" Yeah, right. Compare that to

>fighting Lich Lords - polar bears don't Flamestrike you. *Nothing*

>you tame until you get up to Nightmares and dragonkin objects
>strenuously to you following it around and spamming how much you want

>it for a pet. If every once in awhile bears and wolves got
>tempermental and bit GM-Tamers-in-Training for annoying them it would
>be different, but as it is all they have to do to earn the keys to the
>nuclear arsenal is spend a few weeks in mind-numbing boredom clicking
>their F1 key in near-perfect safety.

I also stated that I ENJOYED raising the skill. Never used a macro
for it other than my F9 key to hit the taming skill button but that's
neither here nor there. I didn't boo hoo or cry or ask for sympathy
from anyone Orion. Perhaps you weren't attacking me personally but
just picked my post as one to respond to in general. I never cried
that I deserve to have 12 wyrms do my bidding because I worked so hard
on the skill. I think you might be surprised at the number of tamers
that are all for adjustments being made to the skill. It appears,
however, that you're incredibly bitter over the subject so I wonder if
you're willing to see through that red cloud and listen to those of us
who are reasonable on the topic rather than insinuating that we're all
a bunch of sniveling twits. BTW, maybe the dire wolves I ran into
just didn't like the smell of my perfume but they sure seemed to be
annoyed with my attempts at taming them. heh

Pam

Moz

May 26, 2001, 8:15:14 PM5/26/01
As a tamer i have to agree that all you need to do to stop most of the 60/60
twinks is make it so you can only own what you can actually tame. Most
twinks wouldnt have the patience to get to those levels.

"Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Dani

May 28, 2001, 6:38:31 AM5/28/01

Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au> wrote in message

> I take it you've changed your position a bit then Dani?
>
> Otara

From?

Ive always agreed that something needed to be done about the problems in
taming. I just asked that you not lump us all in one category and thow
stones at us :)

Dani

Otara

May 28, 2001, 7:02:03 AM5/28/01
On Mon, 28 May 2001 11:38:31 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>From?
>
>Ive always agreed that something needed to be done about the problems in
>taming. I just asked that you not lump us all in one category and thow
>stones at us :)

I never have.

Thats one of the stereotypes the critics often get. Some do to be
sure, but others dont.

Otara

Dani

May 28, 2001, 7:18:23 AM5/28/01

Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au> wrote in message

Point taken hun.
The "you" was an unintended generalisation. I should have taken the time to
type "I just asked that our critics not lump us all in one category and
throw
stones at us :)

Better?
:)

Dani

Dani

May 28, 2001, 7:23:02 AM5/28/01
> Point taken hun.
> The "you" was an unintended generalisation. I should have taken the time
> type "I just asked that our critics not lump us all in one category and
> throw
> stones at us :)
>
> Better?

Or even " I just ask that those critics who *do* lump us all into one
category and throw stones at us please refrain from such generalisation" ?
:p

Dani

Dani

May 28, 2001, 7:24:55 AM5/28/01

> Or even " I just ask that those critics who *do* lump us all into one
> category and throw stones at us please refrain from such generalisation" ?
> :p

Oh, and could they please use marshmallows, or at least smaller stones?
:)

Dani

gil

May 28, 2001, 10:00:51 AM5/28/01
Pam wrote:

> I'm in favor of can't tame/can't own

This has been suggested for over a year, too bad it hasn't been
implemented.

I'd even go further by requiring GM taming and GM lore to tame a dragon,
and requiring 99/99 to tame the others of the big 6 (wrym, drake, mare,
ki, and uni). It never seemed right for a dragon to be tamable in the
first place, but enacting that change after all these years would
probably be too unpopular.

> AND some limit as to how many
> pets one can have in tow at one time.

This also makes sense - one of the big 6 at a time, including ridden
ones, should still be fair.

These 3 changes (no transfers, raising skill required, limiting number
of handlables to 1 of the big 6 at a time) would appease many, though
not all, of the complainers, without unduly angering most (many? some??
or will it??? ;) of the responsible tamers.

> I also stated that I ENJOYED raising the skill.

Me too. What can be better than a leisurely stroll through the woods,
taming? :)

The real problem seems to be not with taming per se, but with perceived
or real inequities/balance (profitablility and combat usefulness in this
case). Assuming taming is ever modified, then the next most profitable
profession (barding? Lockpicking is also very profitable but since it's
not so "in your face" as taming/barding is, so it's not generated near
the negative press) will replace taming as the #1 target for complaints
of this nature.

gil, occasional itinerant tamer

Brent

May 28, 2001, 12:51:31 PM5/28/01
Dani wrote:

> I can see that a rude, greedy tamer would be a nuisance, as would a rude
> greedy bard, warrior, archer, or whatever. What is this downer on tamers
> recently? Its a valid playstyle/profession, and as Ive said before, you'll
> get "twinks" in every category

You are correct. It is just that taming apparently was a sleeper twink
occupation for a long time. When it finally dawned on the dewds that
they could make a tamer with minimal skills and be powerful, they all
had to have a mare and a dragon they can't control. I think what lends
them to being a pain is the fact that they can't control their beasts.
Their only tactic is to gate the dragon into the area and follow it
around as it targets other creatures.

It's like giving a new golfer a $1000 set of Ping clubs. They are still
going to be driving into your group, hitting trees with the cart, and
playing the wrong way down your fairway.

Brent

Brandy

May 28, 2001, 3:35:48 PM5/28/01

"Otara" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

How can you run out of white wolves? They spawn just as fast as you kill
them. Bulls used to spawn just as fast before the latest spawn changes in
the Jhelom bull pen. Now granted I only got to 95.5 before getting sick of
LS and too lazy to work a character on a shard I don't play anymore, but I
was getting a steady .5 displayed skill a day (normally .6 base) just
working bulls and wws after 90. Pretames never seemed to make much of a
difference in skill gain either, so I would just kill off my tames.

I also was gaining at about the same rate outside burst as in after 90. It
normally took me about 2 hours to get that .5 gain, though on a couple days
it took up to 4 hours, and on a couple other days I got it all within the
first hour.

I think what takes people so long is that they don't realize that burst
isn't very important for taming gains after 85 or so. I had several days
when I would get no gain or only .1 during burst and get the rest in the
next hour. Many also don't realize that taming has an 8x8 component to it -
if your target is standing still and you fail gaining in one spot, you will
not gain off that target in that 8x8 area and need to move to a different
area.

Sure, even at .5 a day, taming is slow to gm, but so is carpentry, resist,
begging, tailoring, lumberjacking, and probably half a dozen other skills I
haven't tried lately. So I don't buy that argument about it taking a long
time so it should be more powerful either.

--
Brandy (SP)

Katherine

May 28, 2001, 4:13:29 PM5/28/01
On Sun, 27 May 2001 01:15:14 +0100, "Moz" <xx...@xxxxx.co.uk> expounded:

>As a tamer i have to agree that all you need to do to stop most of the 60/60
>twinks is make it so you can only own what you can actually tame. Most
>twinks wouldnt have the patience to get to those levels.

I wouldn't want that as it would make it impossible to give horses to
guildmates who have no taming. However, I propose a modified version: make
it so that tamers can only transfer a pet if their taming skill is
something like 40 points above the skill needed to actually tame the
critter. IOW a high-level tamer can still give away low-level pets like
horses, but an animal that requires 80 or 90 to tame could never be
transferred.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Fabrizio

May 28, 2001, 7:10:20 PM5/28/01

gil ha scritto nel messaggio
<3B125A13...@qwest.net>...

>These 3 changes (no transfers, raising skill required,
limiting number
>of handlables to 1 of the big 6 at a time) would appease
many, though
>not all, of the complainers, without unduly angering most
(many? some??
>or will it??? ;) of the responsible tamers.

Well, right now I feel like I would curse like mad should
Origin give in to the mass of complainers asking taming to
be nerfed and proceed to crucial changes. Well, now it seems
anything, from server lag to duping is "lamer tamer's"
fault.
Pick this very thread as a good example. I have had a quick
look at the Orc encampments. Drachenfels, Delucia. Not a
dragon around. Several mages and some warriors. I attacked
first an Orc Scout with my bow, and almost immediately
several mages joined in and took the kill - mages, not
goddamn tamers! Point is, taming is _not_ a huge advantage
in hunting orc scouts. One flamestrike should get you
looting rights, dragons or not. But now the trend is
complain about tamers in any possible place, any time.
Another example? People asking why one should bring dragons
to orc camping. As someone pointed out already, pets are the
tamer's weapon of choice. The question is pointless.
While some people try to be reasonable in what they ask,
most would simply like taming to be basically taken out of
the game, as they cannot stand someone to be stronger than
they are. I have seen many brilliant suggestions, each of
which would make the game unplayable as a tamer.
Of your own ones, I personally don't like the "can't take
more than one pet" rule. When I go treasure hunting pets are
the main firepower, and heavier enemies could take out a
single dragon in no time. Now tamer bashers always point out
how easy it is to circumvent any problem (as long as it
applies to tamers). So yes, I could use some tactics, and
lure them one at a time, maybe. I still think a frontal
assault is better. Would you really like to meet a Lich Lord
and an Ogre Lord while casually strolling by with your
miner, while I am busy fighting the other spawn? And I
intend to try balrons or ancient wyrm, someday, and I don't
think I can stand a chance with a single pet fighting. Note
that I usually hunt with just my mare, when I don't have a
mage backup: being unable to gate, I have to walk a lot or
tame dragons on site, if I want to use them.
I also don't like the 100 lore requirement for dragons. My
lore has been locked at about 85 for a long time, because of
the skill cap. Still, I manage to be a decent warrior/tamer,
and I can resist the temptation of becoming yet another
tamer/magewith decente resist, able to gate, paralyze
wannabe pets to tame them and such nice things. If you
forced me to change the template, I could just decide it's
really not worth the hassle, and go training magery on a
boat - scrap it, I am tired of this kind of things.
So what I say is "to hell!". They will take something out of
my game, but they will do so just by force. No arguments
they provided are convincing to me, and their complaints
seem inflated a lot when compared with my game experience.
Few reasonable people are asking for tamer nerfing. Most
just drool at the idea of spoiling someone else's game and
become the new most powerful class in the game.
I am a reasonable tamer. I try not to steal kills, and am
arguably more correct than the average warrior or mage I
meet, I must say. I take turns when asked, and will try to
help the injured warriors I meet by healing them, not by
taking their prey. But I won't condone nerfing my skill of
choice. Being reasonable doens't mean agreeing to limiting
oneself to hunting lizardmen and the occasional troll, as
most bashers fundamentally suggest. If nerfing goes way
beyond the acceptable, I will just quit, as it took me a
very long time to get here, and I am tired of training
forever. This is what the complainers' want, after all, so I
guess that's the one way of making them happy.
No solution from OSI will be accepted, as long as tamers
remain more powerful than warriors or mages. Every
comparison will just accurately skip any advantage the other
classes may have, and concentrate on those - real or
imagined - belonging to the tamers.
Well, no point in posting this either, probably, but I must
shout it out now and then, or I would have to put on a black
(orc?) mask, run to the nearest dungeon/harvesting spot and
start behaving like the typical lamer tamer they depict,
just out of reaction.

Otara

May 28, 2001, 7:20:38 PM5/28/01
On Mon, 28 May 2001 23:10:20 GMT, "Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net>
wrote:

>. When I go treasure hunting pets are
>the main firepower, and heavier enemies could take out a
>single dragon in no time. Now tamer bashers always point out
>how easy it is to circumvent any problem (as long as it
>applies to tamers). So yes, I could use some tactics, and
>lure them one at a time, maybe. I still think a frontal
>assault is better. Would you really like to meet a Lich Lord
>and an Ogre Lord while casually strolling by with your
>miner, while I am busy fighting the other spawn?

Ironically enough, I was doing lvl 4 treasure maps with a single
dragon last night, as well as my friends, the way TMaps were
originally intended, as a group activity.

I had 2 originally but had to put one away because it was making
everyone else obsolete. Even with one I was having to hold back a
bit.

Otara

Fabrizio

May 28, 2001, 7:26:09 PM5/28/01

Brandy ha scritto nel messaggio ...

>I think what takes people so long is that they don't
realize that burst
>isn't very important for taming gains after 85 or so. I
had several days
>when I would get no gain or only .1 during burst and get
the rest in the
>next hour. Many also don't realize that taming has an 8x8
component to it -
>if your target is standing still and you fail gaining in
one spot, you will
>not gain off that target in that 8x8 area and need to move
to a different
>area.

Quite different from my results. I never gained anything
from a dragon, WW or nightmare, as I only tamed them outside
burst hour. Just a single 0.1, once from a kirin.

>Sure, even at .5 a day, taming is slow to gm, but so is
carpentry, resist,
>begging, tailoring, lumberjacking, and probably half a
dozen other skills I
>haven't tried lately. So I don't buy that argument about
it taking a long
>time so it should be more powerful either.

Again, I could only gain much less than that 0.5. Lately, it
seemed to go up much faster than when I had started it, more
than one year ago. But days with 0.1 gain or nothing were
not rare at all.
It's not because it takes more time that it should be more
powerful, anyway. It is the way the skill is designed. What
would be the point in using pets, if you could only get up
to grizzlies? Thanks, I would dump taming anytime and pick
up something more useful. Sadly, it's nearly useless until
you can get one of the big 4/6 (well, tamer bashers will of
course scream that having three timber wolves back you up is
a huge advantage - my real experience is that anything below
90 taming is nearly useless because of incredibly low attack
power).
You seem to imply that all combat skills should be leveled.
Very good. Why limit yourself to combat skills? Make all
characters as powerful as a GM cook offensively, and this
way no one will ever be able to complain any more.
Or else, nerf swordsmanship too, as it is much more powerful
than archery. Reduce arrow strength, as it is higher than
that of daggers. And slow fencers down, to match the other
warrior classes.
Even if I could agree about drastic changes as those tamer
haters suggest all the time, I don't think it would be fair
to implement them at such a stage in the game. I understand
you don't care a damn about the time others spent on a
skill; they chose to do so because they had certain
expectations about where they would get.
Had taming been reduced in effectiveness back in 98 or so,
it would be no problem for me or any other tamer around, I
think. Now it's just too late for dumping the skill out of
the game, in my opinion. I would just ruin the game for too
many people, who have the same right to play as you have.

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 2:15:54 AM5/29/01

Otara ha scritto nel messaggio ...

>On Mon, 28 May 2001 23:10:20 GMT, "Fabrizio"
<nos...@nospam.net>
>wrote:
>
>Ironically enough, I was doing lvl 4 treasure maps with a
single
>dragon last night, as well as my friends, the way TMaps
were
>originally intended, as a group activity.
>
>I had 2 originally but had to put one away because it was
making
>everyone else obsolete. Even with one I was having to hold
back a
>bit.
>
>Otara

As I said it's possible, but I think your dragon will be
killed if two ogre lords and - say - a daemon and a dread
spider spawn as first wave, which is not unlikely at all. I
sometimes had two ogre lords spawn with a level three tmap,
together with lesser game.
This, unless you initially stay away and divide the initial
group. After the first spawn, things get easier. Taken one
at a time, even ogre lords are quite manageable.
I usually hunt tmaps together with one friend, the carto
mage. Not a great group activity, I'll admit, but still fun.
We'll see whether I am enough when he gets to GM carto and
we can do level 5s.

Fabrizio

Otara

May 29, 2001, 2:30:53 AM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 06:15:54 GMT, "Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net>
wrote:

>As I said it's possible, but I think your dragon will be
>killed if two ogre lords and - say - a daemon and a dread
>spider spawn as first wave, which is not unlikely at all. I
>sometimes had two ogre lords spawn with a level three tmap,
>together with lesser game.

Had that several times. As I said, it wasn't me solo, it was a party.
Dont think my dragon ever got down to even 90% health.

Otara

Brandy

May 29, 2001, 3:28:28 AM5/29/01

"Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Brandy ha scritto nel messaggio ...
> >

> >I think what takes people so long is that they don't
> realize that burst
> >isn't very important for taming gains after 85 or so. I
> had several days
> >when I would get no gain or only .1 during burst and get
> the rest in the
> >next hour. Many also don't realize that taming has an 8x8
> component to it -
> >if your target is standing still and you fail gaining in
> one spot, you will
> >not gain off that target in that 8x8 area and need to move
> to a different
> >area.
>
> Quite different from my results. I never gained anything
> from a dragon, WW or nightmare, as I only tamed them outside
> burst hour. Just a single 0.1, once from a kirin.

Bulls and wws to gm, don't bother taming dragons for skill.

No, that is not what I think at all. There should be advantages and
disadvantages to each template. Where is the taming disadvantage?

You imply in another post that you think you should be able to do level 5
maps with just you and the treasure hunter and that you want to try killing
balrons and white wyrms. Those are supposed to be group activities not solo
ones.

> Even if I could agree about drastic changes as those tamer
> haters suggest all the time, I don't think it would be fair
> to implement them at such a stage in the game. I understand
> you don't care a damn about the time others spent on a
> skill; they chose to do so because they had certain
> expectations about where they would get.
> Had taming been reduced in effectiveness back in 98 or so,
> it would be no problem for me or any other tamer around, I
> think. Now it's just too late for dumping the skill out of
> the game, in my opinion. I would just ruin the game for too
> many people, who have the same right to play as you have.

Back in 98 IIRC dragons became as effective as bunny rabbits once you took
them across a server line.

--
Brandy (SP)

gil

May 29, 2001, 5:57:47 AM5/29/01

Katherine wrote:

> On Sun, 27 May 2001 01:15:14 +0100, "Moz" <xx...@xxxxx.co.uk> expounded:
>
> >As a tamer i have to agree that all you need to do to stop most of the 60/60
> >twinks is make it so you can only own what you can actually tame. Most
> >twinks wouldnt have the patience to get to those levels.
>
> I wouldn't want that as it would make it impossible to give horses to
> guildmates who have no taming. However, I propose a modified version: make
> it so that tamers can only transfer a pet if their taming skill is
> something like 40 points above the skill needed to actually tame the
> critter. IOW a high-level tamer can still give away low-level pets like
> horses, but an animal that requires 80 or 90 to tame could never be
> transferred.

Why not allow the transfer of domesticated critters (horses, cats, dogs,
packs, and some birds) only, and nothing else? If folks want a pet
great hart or other "wild" critter, why not require them to have enought
taming/lore to tame it themselves?

gil

Katherine

May 29, 2001, 9:30:08 AM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 04:57:47 -0500, gil <g...@qwest.net> expounded:

>Why not allow the transfer of domesticated critters (horses, cats, dogs,
>packs, and some birds) only, and nothing else? If folks want a pet
>great hart or other "wild" critter, why not require them to have enought
>taming/lore to tame it themselves?

That works for me. I just don't want to have to take up taming to get a
horsie when there are half a dozen people in my guild who can get me one...
:)

gil

May 29, 2001, 10:11:03 AM5/29/01
Fabrizio wrote:

> gil ha scritto nel messaggio
> <3B125A13...@qwest.net>...
> >
> >These 3 changes (no transfers, raising skill required,
> limiting number
> >of handlables to 1 of the big 6 at a time) would appease
> many, though
> >not all, of the complainers, without unduly angering most
> (many? some??
> >or will it??? ;) of the responsible tamers.
> >

> Well, right now I feel like I would curse like mad should
> Origin give in to the mass of complainers asking taming to
> be nerfed and proceed to crucial changes. Well, now it seems
> anything, from server lag to duping is "lamer tamer's"
> fault.

My positions ignores the complaints of the anti-tamers, Rick has
addressed that well in other posts over the last few months. My
position is based upon what I consider to be the nature of Dragons -
powerful, intelligent, and proud. The idea of a Dragon subsuming its
will to a mere human rankles. The idea that a char can start with 50/50
taming/lore, spend a PH getting those skills to ~60 each, then buying a
Dragon and attempt to take it hunting, seems very wrong. If Dragons
should be tamable, it should take effort and great skill.

Part of my position is based upon balance, balance is essential in
games. Whether it's risk/reward, or whatever, it's necessary. How do
game designers know when their game, or an aspect of their game, is
balanced? When both (reasonable) sides of an issue are equally unhappy,
then balance is achieved ;) If one side is happy and the other side
angry, that's not balance. If both sides are happy, count your
blessings!

> Pick this very thread as a good example. I have had a quick
> look at the Orc encampments. Drachenfels, Delucia. Not a
> dragon around. Several mages and some warriors. I attacked
> first an Orc Scout with my bow, and almost immediately
> several mages joined in and took the kill - mages, not
> goddamn tamers! Point is, taming is _not_ a huge advantage
> in hunting orc scouts. One flamestrike should get you
> looting rights, dragons or not. But now the trend is
> complain about tamers in any possible place, any time.
> Another example? People asking why one should bring dragons
> to orc camping. As someone pointed out already, pets are the
> tamer's weapon of choice. The question is pointless.

This is not part of my position.

> While some people try to be reasonable in what they ask,
> most would simply like taming to be basically taken out of
> the game, as they cannot stand someone to be stronger than
> they are.

True, and if taming ever gets "fixed" then these folks will move on to
the next skill they feel is unbalanced.

> I have seen many brilliant suggestions, each of
> which would make the game unplayable as a tamer.

OSI has a tendency to overdo their changes, unfortunately.

> Of your own ones, I personally don't like the "can't take
> more than one pet" rule. When I go treasure hunting pets are
> the main firepower, and heavier enemies could take out a
> single dragon in no time. Now tamer bashers always point out
> how easy it is to circumvent any problem (as long as it
> applies to tamers). So yes, I could use some tactics, and
> lure them one at a time, maybe. I still think a frontal
> assault is better. Would you really like to meet a Lich Lord
> and an Ogre Lord while casually strolling by with your
> miner, while I am busy fighting the other spawn? And I
> intend to try balrons or ancient wyrm, someday, and I don't
> think I can stand a chance with a single pet fighting. Note
> that I usually hunt with just my mare, when I don't have a
> mage backup: being unable to gate, I have to walk a lot or
> tame dragons on site, if I want to use them.

Balrons and Ancient Wyrms should never be killed by a lone player, with
or without Dragons. They should be only attempted by a group, that was
a purposeful choice by OSI. That you can attempt them solo with Dragons
points out a problem.

Regarding the use of tactics that you mention, what's wrong with that?
What's the challenge of sitting back and letting pets take on high level
targets, while you merely watch?

> I also don't like the 100 lore requirement for dragons. My
> lore has been locked at about 85 for a long time, because of
> the skill cap. Still, I manage to be a decent warrior/tamer,
> and I can resist the temptation of becoming yet another
> tamer/magewith decente resist, able to gate, paralyze
> wannabe pets to tame them and such nice things. If you
> forced me to change the template, I could just decide it's
> really not worth the hassle, and go training magery on a
> boat - scrap it, I am tired of this kind of things.
> So what I say is "to hell!".

Again, consider the nature of Dragons, and what sort of committment it
should take to control one. Clearly it's too easy now. Where the line
should be drawn is open to discussion. Having the ability to control a
Dragon should be at the pinnacle of taming, wouldn't you say? You're
only talking about 15 more lore than you have, and look what it would
gain you - where else but putting that 15 points into lore to control
Dragons could those skill points benefit you more?

> They will take something out of
> my game, but they will do so just by force. No arguments
> they provided are convincing to me, and their complaints
> seem inflated a lot when compared with my game experience.
> Few reasonable people are asking for tamer nerfing. Most
> just drool at the idea of spoiling someone else's game and
> become the new most powerful class in the game.

Some complain against taming unreasonably, some reasonably - is it
unreasonable to think that 60/60 taming/lore is too low to allow having
a Dragon? Ignore the idiots, don't dismiss the reasonable voices
because of idiots.

> I am a reasonable tamer. I try not to steal kills, and am
> arguably more correct than the average warrior or mage I
> meet, I must say. I take turns when asked, and will try to
> help the injured warriors I meet by healing them, not by
> taking their prey. But I won't condone nerfing my skill of
> choice. Being reasonable doens't mean agreeing to limiting
> oneself to hunting lizardmen and the occasional troll, as
> most bashers fundamentally suggest. If nerfing goes way
> beyond the acceptable, I will just quit, as it took me a
> very long time to get here, and I am tired of training
> forever. This is what the complainers' want, after all, so I
> guess that's the one way of making them happy.
> No solution from OSI will be accepted, as long as tamers
> remain more powerful than warriors or mages. Every
> comparison will just accurately skip any advantage the other
> classes may have, and concentrate on those - real or
> imagined - belonging to the tamers.
> Well, no point in posting this either, probably, but I must
> shout it out now and then, or I would have to put on a black
> (orc?) mask, run to the nearest dungeon/harvesting spot and
> start behaving like the typical lamer tamer they depict,
> just out of reaction.

As Rick has pointed out, many of the complainers are idiots, see his
posts on this, I don't want to paraphrase him and run the risk of
mischaracterizing him. However, there is some middle ground, where
Dragons aren't usable by chars with no real skill/time committment, and
where those who've put in their time developing the skills, and behave
responsibly, can still use Dragons.

gil

Drake

May 29, 2001, 11:19:18 AM5/29/01
"Brandy" <a...@dhrtysrt.fgr> wrote in message

> "Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Brandy ha scritto nel messaggio ...

snip

> Back in 98 IIRC dragons became as effective as bunny rabbits once you took
> them across a server line.

Heh, but the funny thing is, I remember a po'd young kid tamer making his
way through Oasis on Sonoma during a Fight Night one Sunday night. True
their breath weapon was nerfed, but that dragon sure did leave alot of
corpses since back then most every one was running around with 67 str and
thinking they were god.

=)

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 11:26:12 AM5/29/01
In article <qeh3htoct17runh7a...@4ax.com>, OrionCA
<ori...@earthlink.net> writes

>Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
>I spent 3 weeks taming polar bears - I wore the decal off my F1 key
>(the one I have set to macro Useskill Taming/TargetLast) - my left
>little pinky is ALL SWOLLEN UP!" Yeah, right. Compare that to
>fighting Lich Lords - polar bears don't Flamestrike you. *Nothing*
>you tame until you get up to Nightmares and dragonkin objects
>strenuously to you following it around and spamming how much you want
>it for a pet. If every once in awhile bears and wolves got
>tempermental and bit GM-Tamers-in-Training for annoying them it would
>be different, but as it is all they have to do to earn the keys to the
>nuclear arsenal is spend a few weeks in mind-numbing boredom clicking
>their F1 key in near-perfect safety.
>--

Heheh, just what I was thinking. Makes me chuckle when people all start
on about how hard taming is to raise and how hard they worked for it.
Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck. There are NO hard
skills to raise, just slow ones. There isn't any skill involved in
raising skills, just monotony. It isn't very tough to follow a white
wolf around taming it or standing in safety on a ledge in Destard or in
a lava pool on Fire isle.

Now I'm not a very opinionated person but feel I must contribute to the
tamer debate. Take em outside and shoot em. Not all though, only the
lamefucks, the non twink one will be spared, he can live.

I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy a
tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used.

Kiril Threndor OGD

http://ogd.syix.com/

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 11:30:37 AM5/29/01
In article <l8BQ6.3861$HK.3...@news.infostrada.it>, Fabrizio
<nos...@nospam.net> writes

>Had taming been reduced in effectiveness back in 98 or so,
>it would be no problem for me or any other tamer around, I
>think. Now it's just too late for dumping the skill out of
>the game, in my opinion. I would just ruin the game for too
>many people, who have the same right to play as you have.

Things change and game rules change. think of all the hally whackers who
got fucked over with UO:R. Literally thousands of people who had a
legitimate playstyle were left high and dry just like that.

Taras Bulba

May 29, 2001, 12:11:44 PM5/29/01

"Kiril Threndor" <Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <qeh3htoct17runh7a...@4ax.com>, OrionCA
> <ori...@earthlink.net> writes
> >--
>
> Heheh, just what I was thinking. Makes me chuckle when people all start
> on about how hard taming is to raise and how hard they worked for it.
> Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck. There are NO hard
> skills to raise, just slow ones. There isn't any skill involved in
> raising skills, just monotony.

That's why it is hard, it is soooo monotonous. Much more fun training
swords, and you get money as well.

It isn't very tough to follow a white
> wolf around taming it or standing in safety on a ledge in Destard or in
> a lava pool on Fire isle.

It's not tough standing in the wall at Deceit, raising parry, anatomy,
weapon, healing to GM in a few hours.

> Now I'm not a very opinionated person but feel I must contribute to the
> tamer debate. Take em outside and shoot em. Not all though, only the
> lamefucks, the non twink one will be spared, he can live.
>
> I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy a
> tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
> elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
> on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
> cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
> wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used.

Tough skill being a warrior as well, got to know eactly when those eleven
seconds are up, so you can slap another bandage on. Have to know exactly
when to go into combat mode, which is just after you log in.

How about standing on a ledge firing arrows into Terathans, or using a bard
in Shame, or running in and out of the Balron room casting BS, or killing
daemons and getting resist behind the wall at the Daemon temple, or killing
Daemons in the hedge maze or.... ahhh the list is endless.

I wonder what is going to be a valid way to make money.

"You haven't got 100 healing, anatomy, parry, swords, dex, str... then no
money for you... come back one year"

Taras Bulba

Dani

May 29, 2001, 12:37:11 PM5/29/01

Kiril Threndor <Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <qeh3htoct17runh7a...@4ax.com>, OrionCA
> <ori...@earthlink.net> writes
> >Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
> >--
>
> Heheh, just what I was thinking. Makes me chuckle when people all start
> on about how hard taming is to raise and how hard they worked for it.
> Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck.

Maybe you found it easy then? Congratulations. Tell me your secret! ( I
actually thought you didnt have a tamer, just borrowed a friends'
occasionally, so I was surprised to hear you even voice an opinion. You're
not usually one to speak out when you haven't any first hand experience.)
I certainly didn't find it easy. Still don't. I tame hell hounds and imps in
power hour, and giant toads and lava lizards outside power hour. They are
all aggressive and all spawn at high-level spawn spots. (No, it's not the
same as going one-to one with a balron, but it's nevertheless hectic, and we
are talking about just raising a skill, not combat here). Hyloth on AOL, for
example, is teeming, and I'm usually the only player down there, so I have
to deal with all the spawn, not just the creatures I want to tame.

Yes, I've heard that you *can* gm on white wolves and bulls, but since
hitting the 90's I've never gained a single point in power hour off those. I
gained 0.1 off a dragon I tried to tame in the last 10 mins of power hour
once though.

As for the "invis, wait, uninvis, bandage" thing, that goes out the window
when you're talking about highly aggressive, highly intelligent creatures
which change target every few seconds, or the ones which radiate (ever tried
vetting when your dragon is fighting an ice-fiend? You auto-defend and it
re-targets immediately).

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say on the subject. It just harms a
debate when people who have *no* first hand experience, except maybe of the
griefers, add their "tamer/mage/archer-baiting" 2 cents.

Dani

Pam

May 29, 2001, 3:16:35 PM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 16:26:12 +0100, Kiril Threndor
<Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Heheh, just what I was thinking. Makes me chuckle when people all start
>on about how hard taming is to raise and how hard they worked for it.
>Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck. There are NO hard
>skills to raise, just slow ones. There isn't any skill involved in
>raising skills, just monotony. It isn't very tough to follow a white
>wolf around taming it or standing in safety on a ledge in Destard or in
>a lava pool on Fire isle.

Remember getting to GM fishing Kiril? lol Now to me that WAS,
without a doubt, the most mind numbing skill to raise ever. I
remember that I had GM'd fishing when you were working on it. I did
feel your pain. heh

>Now I'm not a very opinionated person but feel I must contribute to the
>tamer debate. Take em outside and shoot em. Not all though, only the
>lamefucks, the non twink one will be spared, he can live.

Whew, my life might be spared after all. I've been called a wanker
here on the newsgroup but not a lamefuck (thus far).

>I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy a
>tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
>elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
>on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
>cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
>wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used.

I've heard a lot about players using this tactic. Much like
mages/archers/bards that sit on safe ledges while raking in the loot.
I really don't care how much "phat lewt" someone rakes in but it chaps
my hide when someone is dominating a spawn like that with absolutely
no consideration for others. I just feel that gold should be earned
to some extent and parking a couple of dragons then leaving them there
is the ultimate in being cheesy in my opinion.

After all this recent talk about tamers I finally logged my tamer in
the other night. I had an absolute blast. I don't have the most
nimble of fingers so my tamer is almost always at risk of death.
Invariably when I'm out hunting one of my kids runs up to tell me that
my other kid is doing some dastardly deed so my attention is often
diverted. Anyway, I wandered around Ishenar and never ran into
another soul. I'm super, SUPER sensitive and if I run into another
person hunting in an area I leave. Needless to say I've never taken a
dragon into Shame, Destard or any of the "hot spots".

I was thinking last night about what changes might be made to taming
to make it more "balanced" with other skills. Some people here have
mentioned the pet taking a percentage of the loot and/or fame. To
tell the truth I could probably be happy with any of the numerous
suggestions I've seen. I'm a fairly easy going player though and have
lived through vast changes to a lot of the things in the game and
usually enjoy those changes or simply adjust. However, I realize that
I do not speak for the majority of tamers when I say "bring on the
changes". I'm just one voice out here saying "hey, I'm not one of
those twitty twinks you're referring to but I do know what you're
talking about!".

Pam
I am not a twink! (said in her best Richard Nixon impersonation)

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 1:33:40 PM5/29/01
In article <3b13...@news.iprimus.com.au>, Taras Bulba
<jac...@primus.com.au> writes

>> Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck. There are NO hard
>> skills to raise, just slow ones. There isn't any skill involved in
>> raising skills, just monotony.
>
>That's why it is hard, it is soooo monotonous. Much more fun training
>swords, and you get money as well.
>
>It isn't very tough to follow a white
>> wolf around taming it or standing in safety on a ledge in Destard or in
>> a lava pool on Fire isle.
>>

>It's not tough standing in the wall at Deceit, raising parry, anatomy,
>weapon, healing to GM in a few hours.

ermmmmm......that is why I said no skills are hard to raise, just
boring. Fail reading comprehension more?

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 1:41:35 PM5/29/01
In article <YeQQ6.12244$WD.30...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Dani
<dani....@ntlworld.com> writes

>Maybe you found it easy then? Congratulations. Tell me your secret! ( I

The secret? You go up to an animal and tame it, you might get .1, you
might not, what the fuck is hard about that?

>actually thought you didnt have a tamer, just borrowed a friends'
>occasionally, so I was surprised to hear you even voice an opinion.

I don't have a tamer anymore, I borrowed a friends. I once had a tamer
on Siege, well, GM lore and 91 taming but I dropped it. Nothing lamer
than PvP tamers and I got griefed by friends about it, who consequently
started to run with a PvP tamer lamer, go figure.

> You're
>not usually one to speak out when you haven't any first hand experience.)

Don't know me too well then :P

>As for the "invis, wait, uninvis, bandage" thing, that goes out the window
>when you're talking about highly aggressive, highly intelligent creatures
>which change target every few seconds, or the ones which radiate (ever tried
>vetting when your dragon is fighting an ice-fiend? You auto-defend and it
>re-targets immediately).

Then kill stuff that doesn't. That is like me saying being a warrior is
easy when you fight mongbats and you saying not it isn't, try fighting a
balron with a katana.

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 1:53:05 PM5/29/01
In article <n1r7htkp9pv83unf2...@4ax.com>, Pam

>Remember getting to GM fishing Kiril? lol Now to me that WAS,
>without a doubt, the most mind numbing skill to raise ever. I
>remember that I had GM'd fishing when you were working on it. I did
>feel your pain. heh

But it wasn't hard Pam, there is no skill involved at all in anything we
do, raising skill wise, in UO, it is just boring

>>Now I'm not a very opinionated person but feel I must contribute to the
>>tamer debate. Take em outside and shoot em. Not all though, only the
>>lamefucks, the non twink one will be spared, he can live.
>
>Whew, my life might be spared after all. I've been called a wanker
>here on the newsgroup but not a lamefuck (thus far).

I am generalising, Yeah, I know you shouldn't but I base my opinions on
the lamefucks I see in the game on a daily basis. I am sure there are
some non tard tamers but I have yet to see them.

>>I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy a
>>tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
>>elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
>>on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
>>cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
>>wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used.
>
>I've heard a lot about players using this tactic. Much like
>mages/archers/bards that sit on safe ledges while raking in the loot.
>I really don't care how much "phat lewt" someone rakes in but it chaps
>my hide when someone is dominating a spawn like that with absolutely
>no consideration for others. I just feel that gold should be earned
>to some extent and parking a couple of dragons then leaving them there
>is the ultimate in being cheesy in my opinion.

Well, if anyone wanted to take over the spawn or take the gold off me,
all they had to do was attack me. I did it in Felluca and rarely saw a
soul. Occasionally someone would drop by and try to get an attack by
flagging on a dragon but I just ignored em, they wanna kill me, take a
count like a good little boy. Dominating the spawn is irrelevant in
Trammel, you have to compete with 23452143542345321 other tamers so I
would have made more gold by making skullcaps.

>After all this recent talk about tamers I finally logged my tamer in
>the other night. I had an absolute blast. I don't have the most
>nimble of fingers so my tamer is almost always at risk of death.
>Invariably when I'm out hunting one of my kids runs up to tell me that
>my other kid is doing some dastardly deed so my attention is often
>diverted. Anyway, I wandered around Ishenar and never ran into
>another soul. I'm super, SUPER sensitive and if I run into another
>person hunting in an area I leave. Needless to say I've never taken a
>dragon into Shame, Destard or any of the "hot spots".

I don't really care what people do in game Pam, the take em out and
shoot em was said mostly tongue in cheek. It just makes me laugh that
people say it is a hard skill to train in, it isn't hard, just boring. I
don't like having to fight people totting dragons but that is another
matter.

>Pam
>I am not a twink! (said in her best Richard Nixon impersonation)

I know, and deep down I don't really think Dani is either :P

Eric A. Hall

May 29, 2001, 2:06:50 PM5/29/01

> I am generalising, Yeah, I know you shouldn't but I base my
> opinions on the lamefucks I see in the game on a daily basis.
> I am sure there are some non tard tamers but I have yet to
> see them.

Uh, were our tamers "tards" when I transferred Puddles to you?

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 2:19:50 PM5/29/01

gil ha scritto nel messaggio
<3B13ADF7...@qwest.net>...

>Fabrizio wrote:
>>
>> gil ha scritto nel messaggio
>> <3B125A13...@qwest.net>...
>
>My positions ignores the complaints of the anti-tamers,
Rick has
>addressed that well in other posts over the last few
months. My
>position is based upon what I consider to be the nature of
Dragons -
>powerful, intelligent, and proud. The idea of a Dragon
subsuming its
>will to a mere human rankles. The idea that a char can
start with 50/50
>taming/lore, spend a PH getting those skills to ~60 each,
then buying a
>Dragon and attempt to take it hunting, seems very wrong.
If Dragons
>should be tamable, it should take effort and great skill.

Sorry, but I disagree on this. Theoretically you are
absolutely right. But then, if you hit a panther with a
dagger, injuring it, you would be dead meat before you knew
it, just try outwalking one in RL. Cows don't appear out of
thin air. One-hit kills are plain reality. Severe injuries
may take months of healing, and you might just never recover
at all...
Reality is reality. Fictional reality, like one involving
dragons is yet another kind of such. And UO is a game where
several reality rules must be broken in order to make it
playable.
Choosing to apply this kind of rules to one particular
situation, out of the hundreds existing, looks plain wrong
to me.

>Balrons and Ancient Wyrms should never be killed by a lone
player, with
>or without Dragons. They should be only attempted by a
group, that was
>a purposeful choice by OSI. That you can attempt them solo
with Dragons
>points out a problem.

No!!! You misunderstood me. When I said that I wanted to try
an ancient wyrm, I didn't mean I want to solo it.
SOLO it??? I encountered only one, in the lizardman camp
near Humility Shrine in Ilshenar. I was curious about the
apparent ceremonial bannered cavern, and where it would
lead. I know better than to blindly jump into a dungeon,
though, so I was careful in exploring. I found myself in
this rather small square rocky area, and immediately noticed
several wyverns attacking me. The word "ancient" blinked a
second, but I thought I was mistaken. I had a very quick
tour, with the wyverns after me, and noticed several lava
lizards around. Time to bide the area farewell. Too compact
to attempt evasive maneuvering. Then I saw it. Big yellow
(!?) lizzy. Problem is, he saw me too.
I took a chomp before leaving. I think about 40 hp damage in
full GM plate.
Then I felt curious. After all, it was the only one I had
seen up to then. I tried reentering after healing, but he
was waiting for me. This time he took me down to about 50
hp. Again, with a single blow. Curiosity killed the cat,
while I managed to escape. And I was lucky, I realized
later, that I didn't make the aquaintance of the dreaded
80-hp breath attack. Now, you would expect me to attack that
thing _solo_????
The best idea I could come up with involves a bard to block
lizard and wyvern spawn, and maybe also provoke some wyverns
against the AW - poison always helps, just like it is
incredibly dangerous against your pets if coupled with a
strong melee attacker. A mage to provide help with the
nasties by paralyzing them while the bard does his job, and
a couple of dragons to act as main artillery, hoping they
could take the AW's health down quickly enough for his
breath to reduce before he can kill one dragon, with me
healing him.
Eheh, I'd also like another char, able to resurrect, to stay
outside with reserve regs and armor in case the worst
happens and the trio above bites the dust, hoping to get the
important stuff back.
So the additional dragon(s) is aimed at preventing the main
one from dying. Not because I cannot tame another one, but
because it would be a draw and not a victory. Do you think
that one would hunt AWs because it's lucrative? I think risk
vs. payback is way too high for doing this (not sure, tho,
never got one, maybe they give 10000 gp each). I would love
the challenge in it.
Maybe I am wrong, and all this force is not necessary. Maybe
a better tamer could think of a way to do that alone, even
with his dragons getting chewed and poisoned all the time. I
sincerely don't think I could stand a chance.
Ah, you mentioned balrons and AWs should not be confronted
solo. Well, I personally don't complain about mages BSing
balrons to 0-mana from a safe spot and then killing them. If
they like it, they are welcome to go on. My mage char tried
it once, and found it deeply unsatisfactory.

>Regarding the use of tactics that you mention, what's wrong
with that?
>What's the challenge of sitting back and letting pets take
on high level
>targets, while you merely watch?

I don't merely watch. I try to command them to be most
effective, meanwhile keeping them healed. Eg. try making
them target the dread spiders first. Low defense and
dangerous attack, they must definitely be taken down before
Ogre Lords. Only the grownup lizards switch back to their
target of choice after two seconds.
Maybe you find this pointless. Well, I don't think it's
particularly different from attacking enemies with my bow.
Shoot. Get away. Wait for next shot, hoping the animation
doesn't get lost so I can gauge the moment for leaving
without wasting an arrow. Repeat. To me it's just a
different way of fighting.
But I can live with the more tactical way too. I will
probably have to do so anyway once we get to higher level
maps.

>Again, consider the nature of Dragons, and what sort of
committment it
>should take to control one. Clearly it's too easy now.
Where the line
>should be drawn is open to discussion. Having the ability
to control a
>Dragon should be at the pinnacle of taming, wouldn't you
say? You're
>only talking about 15 more lore than you have, and look
what it would
>gain you - where else but putting that 15 points into lore
to control
>Dragons could those skill points benefit you more?

Well, magery. I will never be able to recall, but at least I
won't fizzle as much as I currently do when using recall
scrolls.
Veterinary. Getting it to 100 from my current ~85 might
prove useful when confronting heavily poisoning enemies,
like PEs, where I fail to cure my pets more than ten times
in a row.
I also suspect that with your idea, due to 100 orneriness,
even a GM/GM would fail commanding dragons 80% of the time.
Not a nice thing.
I didn't say I couldn't live with this single change,
although it would take me back to pre-dragon taming. Only
that I don't like it.

Bye,
Fabrizio

Dani

May 29, 2001, 2:21:22 PM5/29/01

> In article <YeQQ6.12244$WD.30...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Dani
> <dani....@ntlworld.com> writes
> >As for the "invis, wait, uninvis, bandage" thing, that goes out the
window
> >when you're talking about highly aggressive, highly intelligent creatures
> >which change target every few seconds, or the ones which radiate (ever
tried
> >vetting when your dragon is fighting an ice-fiend? You auto-defend and it
> >re-targets immediately).
>
> Then kill stuff that doesn't. That is like me saying being a warrior is
> easy when you fight mongbats and you saying not it isn't, try fighting a
> balron with a katana.

I'm happy killing things which target me. You said that it is "so easy as to
be pathetic."
I'm just pointing out that it isn't always :)

Dani

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 2:37:39 PM5/29/01

Kiril Threndor ha scritto nel messaggio ...

Well, being a GM lurker I know you are considered a
honorable PvP warrior (even though OGD used to PK, right?)
so I won't rant too much about the times I have been killed
uselessly, just for the sake of it, when I was a complete
newbie (not a long time before Trammel, luckily, or I would
have probably dropped the game altogether).
I understand your point, but there is a big difference
anyway. If they created yet another facet, where pets are
not allowed to fight but just serve as mounts, I wouldn't
complain at all. This appears to be one of the possible
choices on OSI's side, and I hope they choose it over the
rest - not speaking of a whole new facet. New generic lands,
or some existing territories should do fine.
Why was UO:R different? They didn't remove Felucca, did
they?
Problem is, PKs couldn't get their kick without victims.
Ever being on the grey world side of it, I remember the
impotent anger and the desire to drop it all. I could have
gotten better. Difficult to do so, though, if you keep
losing your money to reds. And maybe I have a lousy
connection, or simply I am just not as good as your PK of
choice. Does the fact that he is better imply that I should
accept repeatedly dying without any hope of vengeance?
As legitimate as PKing was, it was by definition something
that would grief the "correct blue" players. Trammel didn't
ban PvP. As just stated a million times by others, it just
gave the impotent eternal victims a choice. PvPers could
still fight. PKs could go on PKing as well: they were not
nerfed in any way, their combat skills were as honed as
ever. Or not?

Pam

May 29, 2001, 4:41:18 PM5/29/01

>In article <n1r7htkp9pv83unf2...@4ax.com>, Pam
>>
>>Remember getting to GM fishing Kiril? lol Now to me that WAS,
>>without a doubt, the most mind numbing skill to raise ever. I
>>remember that I had GM'd fishing when you were working on it. I did
>>feel your pain. heh

On Tue, 29 May 2001 18:53:05 +0100, Kiril Threndor
<Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>But it wasn't hard Pam, there is no skill involved at all in anything we
>do, raising skill wise, in UO, it is just boring

I beg to disagree. LOL I found fishing "hard" to do. I honestly
did. hahahaha It was hard on my patience, hard on my nerves, hard on
my fingers and hard on my general mental health. No, it wasn't
physically hard but mentally it was brutal. I hated GM'ing fishing
then with a passion but I'm a stubborn fool who was determined. I've
raised skills for three years and not one single stinkin' skill was
tougher to me than fishing back then. I can still, to this day, hear
that horrible plopping sound of the fishing pole making contact with
water. My therapist assures me though that I'll return to sanity in
the next year or so : )

Pam
Sonoma

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 2:44:16 PM5/29/01

Otara ha scritto nel messaggio
<3b134187...@news.infoxchange.net.au>...

Two OLs and a daemon? Several times? And your dragon didn't
ever get under 90% health?
Well, what can I say, that must be a hell of a party, as I
can't see how you could prevent his health from falling much
faster to such creatures, even with mages BSing the lords
(wouldn't the daemon dispel them anyway, even if targeted at
others?). I don't think warriors could heal each other fast
enough either, while meleeing an ogre lord.
If you are talking multiple tamers, or tamer + bard, I can
understand how you could accomplish that. Otherwise, once
again we must be playing on different game universes, as our
plain numbers differ a whole lot.

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 4:52:33 PM5/29/01
In article <T%RQ6.8032$HK.4...@news.infostrada.it>, Fabrizio
<nos...@nospam.net> writes

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean PKing was banished with
UO:R, I meant that the old style tank mage was pretty much killed off
with the PvP changes, which is similar to a taming nerf, if one comes
about.

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 4:58:09 PM5/29/01
In article <9f0ofq$3...@freepress.concentric.net>, Eric A. Hall
<eh...@ehsco.com> writes

Read the rest of the post and at least quote the relevant part where I
said I had a tamer but I dropped taming. As I said I was generalising.

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 5:23:49 PM5/29/01

OrionCA ha scritto nel messaggio ...

>On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:06:04 -0700, Pam
>
>Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh,
boo-hoo-hoo.
>I spent 3 weeks taming polar bears - I wore the decal off
my F1 key
>(the one I have set to macro Useskill Taming/TargetLast) -
my left
>little pinky is ALL SWOLLEN UP!" Yeah, right. Compare
that to
>fighting Lich Lords - polar bears don't Flamestrike you.
*Nothing*
>you tame until you get up to Nightmares and dragonkin
objects
>strenuously to you following it around and spamming how
much you want
>it for a pet. If every once in awhile bears and wolves got
>tempermental and bit GM-Tamers-in-Training for annoying
them it would
>be different, but as it is all they have to do to earn the
keys to the
>nuclear arsenal is spend a few weeks in mind-numbing
boredom clicking
>their F1 key in near-perfect safety.

Well, in my opinion that's exactly the point!
In order to raise taming you often have to revert to
non-aggressive pets, as otherwise you would have to spend
too much time separating the "good" ones from the
untamables, or those which just wouldn't give gains, and you
would no longer manage to exploit your burst hour at its
best.
Why do you think that my taming skills sat at about 70 or so
for months, while I GMed archery, anatomy and tactics?
Because hunting elementals, liches, and such was _much_ more
fun than following bulls around repeating the same 4 lines
ad nauseam, especially when hunting together with friends.
To me, at last.

And about "near-perfect safety", well, try taming a WW (I
guess you don't want to get to GM taming to tame bulls,
right?) without magery. I managed to do that some times, but
it is always a challenge. First you have to lure away the
critters which would interfere, up to the point where just a
few of them - and possibly the weak ones - remain. This may
take a long time. Then you have to tiptap in front of the
wyrm's mouth in order to get that damn taming attempt going.
After that, you have some breathing room. Apart from that
damn ice elemental who is hell-bent on punching you,
together with that damn stupid slime who just loves your
armor.
Today I had to give up in the end, after several failed
attempts, because it is not something to be done easily when
other players, eager to kill the WW, show up. Sometimes they
try to help, most of the time they interfere, and I usually
throw in at most three more fully initiated taming attempts
before leaving the lizard to them, as I can literally feel
their breath on my neck.
I am _not_ complaining, mind me. As I said it's a challenge,
and I really enjoy that (today I would have had to get the
WW killed anyway, full stables already). I just want to
point out that it's more difficult than the average monster
bashing as a warrior. Don't know about LL, though. I guess
there's really quite some luck involved, as too many
flamestrikes/failed resist attempts in a row will kill you
easily. Heck, warriors have to pay close attention to
regular liches too!

Fabrizio

May 29, 2001, 5:36:15 PM5/29/01

Kiril Threndor ha scritto nel messaggio ...
>In article <T%RQ6.8032$HK.4...@news.infostrada.it>,
Fabrizio
><nos...@nospam.net> writes
>>

>I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean PKing was
banished with
>UO:R, I meant that the old style tank mage was pretty much
killed off
>with the PvP changes, which is similar to a taming nerf, if
one comes
>about.
>
>--

Ah, sorry. That's another story altogether.
You can bet that, had I been a tank mage, you can bet I
would have become as mad as it gets because of these
changes, if they had come after many months spent refining
my skill set.
Hmm, got the point. Tank mages griefed people by killing
them too easily, tamers get hold of spawns excluding other
classes. Both cases will have OSI make changes in order to
please the majority.
Only, I don't know about the percentage of lamer TMs those
days, but as of today I feel the majority of tamers is not
as bad as it is depicted, and most spawns are available for
mages and warriors too.
As for living with changes, I will of course wait and see
what they will consist of, before deciding what to do. Only,
I am really tired of neverending training. I hope I don't
have to dump my template or drop, say, 4 complete skills in
order to cope with the new situation. Especially because
there is the constructive solution, i.e. no-tamer lands,
available. We'll see.

Regards,
Fabrizio

Kiril Threndor

May 29, 2001, 5:50:02 PM5/29/01
In article <jDUQ6.9646$HK.5...@news.infostrada.it>, Fabrizio
<nos...@nospam.net> writes

>Only, I don't know about the percentage of lamer TMs those
>days, but as of today I feel the majority of tamers is not
>as bad as it is depicted, and most spawns are available for
>mages and warriors too.

That is more than likely true but it is the bad apples that stick out
and that is what people remember. If you are in a dungeon and a tamer
comes through that doesn't act like a tard, chances are you aren't
really gonna remember them, if someone comes through whose sole purpose
in life is to grief players, then he you will remember :/

gil

May 29, 2001, 6:05:31 PM5/29/01
Dani wrote:

> Yes, I've heard that you *can* gm on white wolves and bulls, but since
> hitting the 90's I've never gained a single point in power hour off those. I
> gained 0.1 off a dragon I tried to tame in the last 10 mins of power hour
> once though.

I gm'd taming on white wolves and bulls. I did the usual hind/bear/wolf
then grizzlies then bulls, then started going to Ice island to retame
wolves/snowcats/polars. I'd spend 20 minutes on Ice, then ~20 minutes
with the Del. bulls, then back to Ice. Sometimes I'd tame for a half
hour or so after PH, otherwise it was PH. I had gains of ~.3 or so per
PH in the 90's. I got my last 0.1 on a snowcat, not sure if it was
previously tamed or not. Never did tame stuff that fought back, guess
I'm a weenie tamer :)

In a way taming is tedious as you mention, but it is also relaxing, for
me anyways, so enjoyable.

gil

KaLim72

May 29, 2001, 6:38:58 PM5/29/01
You know I dont think the Problems are the tamers or any other used skill but
the mentality that some (and not all) people are uing them for. The problem
lies not with anyone but with everyone. So many people playing one game at the
same time is going to be a bloody mess. I can think of no true solutions for
all the problems and truelly doubt that there is one. Fixing one persons
problem just adds another one for somebody else. So is there a solution that
pleases everyone ? I doubt it and think that what happens will happen. We as
people have to grow around the fact that things we dont like will happen and
deal with them as best we can. When we all get along playing on UO Then its
high time we started bringing peace to the rest of our world.

Just my oppinion thiugh. Sorry if it tickes anyone off . it wasnt meant to.

Otara

May 29, 2001, 7:19:24 PM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:37:11 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say on the subject. It just harms a
>debate when people who have *no* first hand experience, except maybe of the
>griefers, add their "tamer/mage/archer-baiting" 2 cents.

Except I did go out and learn taming. 96.3 at the mo. Took me 3
weeks of power hours to get to tame my first dragon.

Just wasnt that hard. Now GM thats going to take a bit, but really,
thats just an ego trip or gravy. I was fully functional under the
current system by the high 80's, which took less than a fortnight.

Otara

Otara

May 29, 2001, 7:27:35 PM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 18:44:16 GMT, "Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net>
wrote:

>Two OLs and a daemon? Several times? And your dragon didn't
>ever get under 90% health?
>Well, what can I say, that must be a hell of a party, as I
>can't see how you could prevent his health from falling much
>faster to such creatures, even with mages BSing the lords
>(wouldn't the daemon dispel them anyway, even if targeted at
>others?). I don't think warriors could heal each other fast
>enough either, while meleeing an ogre lord.
>If you are talking multiple tamers, or tamer + bard, I can
>understand how you could accomplish that. Otherwise, once
>again we must be playing on different game universes, as our
>plain numbers differ a whole lot.

Which is a polite way of suggesting I'm lying I'd guess.

All you have to do is have different people target them so that
they're not all on one person - just not being too close was enough to
achieve that. Going by the damage involved, I'd be very surprised if
a dragon couldnt handle two Ogre lords in any case. And of course,
the limiting to one dragon is totally artificial as I said, so that I
wasnt killing _everything_.

We did have a bard though. Surprisingly enough I think they need a
bit of tweaking too, given that one of them was doing lvl 4 maps solo.

Otara

Taras Bulba

May 30, 2001, 12:17:42 AM5/30/01

> In article <3b13...@news.iprimus.com.au>, Taras Bulba
> <jac...@primus.com.au> writes
> >> Does it take a while? yup, is it hard? is it fuck. There are NO hard
> >> skills to raise, just slow ones. There isn't any skill involved in
> >> raising skills, just monotony.
> >
> >That's why it is hard, it is soooo monotonous. Much more fun training
> >swords, and you get money as well.
> >
> >It isn't very tough to follow a white
> >> wolf around taming it or standing in safety on a ledge in Destard or in
> >> a lava pool on Fire isle.
> >>

> >It's not tough standing in the wall at Deceit, raising parry, anatomy,
> >weapon, healing to GM in a few hours.
>

> ermmmmm......that is why I said no skills are hard to raise, just
> boring. Fail reading comprehension more?

Well... I fail to understand what that last sentence of yours means, does
that count?

I think some skills are hard to raise. What I was talking about is the
relative difficulty. Swords goes up very easily to GM, taming does not.
This, to my mind makes taming hard and swords easy.

Taras Bulba

Dani

May 30, 2001, 6:32:04 AM5/30/01

> On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:37:11 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> >Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say on the subject. It just harms a
> >debate when people who have *no* first hand experience, except maybe of
the
> >griefers, add their "tamer/mage/archer-baiting" 2 cents.
>

> Except I did go out and learn taming.

Good job I wasn't replying to you then isn't it? :p
I accept that you don't like me hun, but don't pick a fight when there isn't
one to be picked :)

>96.3 at the mo. Took me 3
> weeks of power hours to get to tame my first dragon.
> Just wasnt that hard. Now GM thats going to take a bit, but really,
> thats just an ego trip or gravy. I was fully functional under the
> current system by the high 80's, which took less than a fortnight.

Then I take my hat off to you. Hylle is nearly a year old, and she only
tamed her first biggies in the last few weeks :)

Dani

Brent

May 30, 2001, 7:09:32 AM5/30/01
Pam wrote:

> A tamer enlists the aid of his or
> her pets as a means of offense much like a warrior uses weapons.

Well said, Pam.

Brent

Otara

May 30, 2001, 7:13:32 AM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 11:32:04 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Good job I wasn't replying to you then isn't it? :p
>I accept that you don't like me hun, but don't pick a fight when there isn't
>one to be picked :)

You seem quite nice to be honest, just a bit overzealous on the defend
taming thing. Its just that the 'you dont know what you're talking
about until you do it' tactic has been a wee bit overdone in the
taming debate AFAIAC.

The point he was making is supported by people who did do go out and
do exactly that - taming simply isnt that hard to raise to a point
where you can tame everything in the game. If you're struggling a
bit, I suggest you check out the taming forum on stratics.

Otara

Brent

May 30, 2001, 7:29:21 AM5/30/01
Fabrizio wrote:
>If they created yet another facet, where pets are
> not allowed to fight but just serve as mounts, I wouldn't
> complain at all. This appears to be one of the possible
> choices on OSI's side, and I hope they choose it over the
> rest - not speaking of a whole new facet. New generic lands,
> or some existing territories should do fine.

Any tamers that have not taken their dragons with them to meet the
skeletal dragon in Ilshenar are in for a treat ;) I think OSI is on to
something. Their are a few new creatures that have a chance to provoke
your pet back onto you. I wonder if the next new orc character will be
an orcish bard.

Speaking of nerfing, I took my mage to the lich lord room the other
night with our guild. He can't see beyond a one tile limit, essentially
making him useless in that room. It has been a while since I was
there. Was there an issue with mages in there that this was intended to
address?

Brent

Brent

Dani

May 30, 2001, 8:00:51 AM5/30/01

> On Wed, 30 May 2001 11:32:04 +0100, "Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

> You seem quite nice to be honest, just a bit overzealous on the defend
> taming thing.

:)
Actually, Im not for defending taming, if you re-read, I think you'll see
that. I'm for defending myself when Im lumped into a category and sneered at
or laughed at. I'm also all for making changes to taming. They really wont
affect me that much, you see. I'm not a "hider-tamer". I am quite happy to
fight alongside my pet. I also dont camp spawns when other people are
around, and I don't take out more than one pet at a time. So bring on the
changes, if they will help put an end to the bad feelings surrounding
taming.

> The point he was making is supported by people who did do go out and
> do exactly that - taming simply isnt that hard to raise to a point
> where you can tame everything in the game. If you're struggling a
> bit, I suggest you check out the taming forum on stratics.

Thankyou. I have that bookmarked, but I'm taking a break until this all
blows over :)

Dani

Little WhiteDove

May 30, 2001, 10:33:00 AM5/30/01
In article <ysrHqLAK...@baywatch.demon.co.uk>, Kiril Threndor
<Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

|if someone comes through whose sole purpose
|in life is to grief players, then he you will remember :/

Which explains why Kiril is such a memorable character!
:D

-Little WhiteDove
Badb Catha, Lia Fail Empire
Atlantic

Rick Cortese

May 30, 2001, 11:30:10 AM5/30/01
"OrionCA" <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:06:04 -0700, Pam <p...@netgamepark.com> wrote:
>
> >I think what is going on here is that you have tamers, such as myself,
> >who took the time to GM the skill. Then you have those who aren't
> >tamers who simply have pets they cannot control. I don't think many
> >people are arguing that there is a problem with how ownership of
> >dragon's is currently implemented.
>
> There is also the problem that even if you are a GM Tamer it just
> means that you spent (x) number of tedious hours practicing on wolves
> and bears or whatever so that you could own tactical nuclear weapons.

As opposed to creating a GM fencer in 3 days?

That isn't the whole point anyway. Novel concept, but people should have an
option to do that which interests them. If everyone has the option of
creating a tamer or fencer or whatever they want, who cares?

There was that brief time when Ice Isle white wolves gave insanely quick
skill gains. This has been fixed now and the numbers of people taking up and
using taming is in decline.

This is just another tool OSI uses to balance the character types. If they
wanted 50% of the players in the game to be GM carpenters, they would just
make it so you could GM it in an hour. Even at that, there would still be
50% of the people in the game that didn't make a GM carpenter just because
they are not interested in doing it on any level.
<snip>

> Tamers don't realize HOW FUCKING EASY THEY HAVE IT. "Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
> I spent 3 weeks taming polar bears - I wore the decal off my F1 key
> (the one I have set to macro Useskill Taming/TargetLast) - my left
> little pinky is ALL SWOLLEN UP!"

Well, stereotype. Not even close to the way the old timers like myself or
Dundee or Mir or 1/2 dozen others I know in game had it.

It was a lot more like going to dungeons like Despise and taming everything
from top to bottom. Using the stables in Serpent's Hold because using them
anywhere else would get you guard whacked when your fire breather went nuts.
Dragons that were weak as kittens and would be killed by giant serpents.

It was nightly having jerks follow my tamer around and attacking everything
they tried to tame. It was people attacking my tames/going gray in an
attempt to sucker me into a fight they knew I would lose because of close to
300 points in things other then combat skills.

Now I paid my dues. A lot of people got a free ride. If anyone has a right
to say the new twink tamers should be nerfed it is me: I could care less.

I mean it doesn't bother me that people enjoy factions. It doesn't bother me
that people enjoy tinkering. It doesn't bother me that people enjoy barding.

I mean I *have* a GM bard on Hokuto. So what? I don't care to use them. My
son runs nothing but his bard on Pacific. Matter of fact, after over a year
of play he still has a free slot on Pac! He kills the toughest monsters in
the game and makes twice the money my tamers do. He just knows how and where
to do it.

Dani

May 30, 2001, 11:35:00 AM5/30/01

> On Wed, 30 May 2001 06:09:32 -0500, Brent <bab...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> The very best sword or most powerful spell in the game are about
> 1/10th as lethal as a dragon or mare

Actually, Diva's silver vanq kryss and warfork, with her 100 dex put down a
lich MUCH faster than a mare. Ive even remarked to a guy whose pet was
working the same spawn as me (at a much slower rate) that he needed a silver
vanq mare :)

Dani

Rick Cortese

May 30, 2001, 11:52:09 AM5/30/01
"gil" <g...@qwest.net> wrote in message news:3B125A13...@qwest.net...
> Pam wrote:
>
> > I'm in favor of can't tame/can't own
>
> This has been suggested for over a year, too bad it hasn't been
> implemented.
>
> I'd even go further by requiring GM taming and GM lore to tame a dragon,
> and requiring 99/99 to tame the others of the big 6 (wrym, drake, mare,
> ki, and uni). It never seemed right for a dragon to be tamable in the
> first place, but enacting that change after all these years would
> probably be too unpopular.

The problem with this is you eliminate the bank posers. Understand that I
hate these people with a passion!

OSI should and does love them. They get their taming/lore up to 70ish so
they can get a mare, use it to harvest low hit point/high fame and karma
monsters, then spend the next year as a Lord/Lady sitting on their mare at
the bank in their blessed black sandals while sending OSI $120 for the
privilage.

Any solution will have to patronize them such that they are still happy to
continue sending OSI that $120/year.
<snip>
> The real problem seems to be not with taming per se, but with perceived
> or real inequities/balance (profitablility and combat usefulness in this
> case).

Your "percieved" comment is really on target. I have been spending a lot of
time on Pacific lately and I just don't see any problem there as well as
never seeing it on Baja.

There is some problem with Wind, but one area dominated by mage/tamers does
not seem that big a deal. I really mean; since I have the tamers I keep an
eye out for other tamers in game and I just don't see the masses of tamers
hogging spawn points that other people seem to see.

Think about how inconsistant the recent stories are when they are presented
as sereotypes. You have all tamers are:

1) Twink tamers/posers at banks
2) Twink tamers camping for profit
3) Twink tamers hunting rares i.e. Orc masks, Orc bows, Ice staves
4) Tamers selling dragons and high level tames to twinks at banks

Now if someone is a poser at a bank, they *obviously* are not out camping a
spawn. If someone is selling dragons at banks, they are *obviously* at the
bank and have been out taming dragons vs camping spawns.

Truth be known, for the most part all I have seen in game is 1 & 4 lately.

Rick Cortese

May 30, 2001, 12:07:16 PM5/30/01
"Kiril Threndor" <Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>
> I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy a
> tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
> elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
> on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
> cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
> wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used.

So then: You got to <ab?>use the current system to make tons of gold and buy
a tower. Now that you got what you want, close the door on someone else that
tries it.

I will commend you for your candor.

Kiril Threndor

May 30, 2001, 12:26:26 PM5/30/01
In article <tha6ctc...@corp.supernews.com>, Rick Cortese
<rico...@netmagic.net> writes

>So then: You got to <ab?>use the current system to make tons of gold and buy
>a tower. Now that you got what you want, close the door on someone else that
>tries it.

Sheesh, do you want to quote where I say tamers should be nerfed,
stopped or whatever? Do you want to quite where I say any type of play
shouldn't be allowed?

My comment in this argument, besides take em out and shoot em, and I
really hope you took that how it was intended, is that taming is not
hard to raise.

I have never said that people shouldn't be tamers, sit on spawn, pose at
the bank on their mare or anything.

>I will commend you for your candor.

Well thanks.

Brandy

May 30, 2001, 1:26:14 PM5/30/01

"Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

And if you lose the silver vanq kryss and warfork, how much more do they
cost to replace (assuming you can even find them for sale) than the mare?

--
Brandy (SP)

Dani

May 30, 2001, 1:47:32 PM5/30/01

Brandy <a...@dhrtysrt.fgr> wrote in message

Heaps more I expect. :) Depends on when you bought the mare, and what colour
it was and whether it had hair or not :p
I cant recall actually. You'll have to ask Kiril - he sold me the kryss, and
I think I got the warfork on a treasure hunt.

That wasn't the point I was making though, but then you knew that :)

Dani

Rick Cortese

May 30, 2001, 3:26:57 PM5/30/01
"OrionCA" <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 06:09:32 -0500, Brent <bab...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> Except that a warrior's weapon doesn't weigh 5 tons, shoot flames, and
> answer to the name of "Fluffy". That's where the analogy breaks down.

> The very best sword or most powerful spell in the game are about
> 1/10th as lethal as a dragon or mare and you don't even need to GM the
> skill to be deadly effective with one of those. With Taming it's

You don't need any taming to be effective with a dragon. All you have to do
is follow a tamer that is killing with a dragon around, explosion/flame
strike for the kill and you get the loot. This is a pretty much a constant
event on Baja. When I respond in kind, I seldom take my tamer out, always my
GM mage/EI character since they are very reliable and virtually 100%
effective in kill stealing from a tamer/dragon. There are exceptions of
course, things like "rotting corpse" that have a bunch of hit points.

> "Fluffy kill", target, stand back, and apply bandages to your dragon
> as necessary. At 70/70. And if I lose "Fluffy" I can replace her
> fairly easily by visiting one of the many Used Dragon Lots on the
> shard. Not so a broadsword of Power or Katana of Vanquishing: You have
> to whack a fair number of Lich Lords to find one of those and they're
> just about NFS anywhere else.

Once again, it is not the 70/70 dragon tamers that are a problem and just
from a mechanical standpoint, that is not how it works. At 70/70, you can't
even get a dragon to follow you. The problem comes when the 70/70 or 65/65
player gets on a mare. No magery higher then recall is needed and they can
go anywhere in game. No follow commands are necessary since they can just
get back on the mare to get it out of the area.

> To fix the problem with Taming they should disable the "All Kill"
> command for anyone less than the minimum skill needed to tame the
> creature. The "<pet> Guard!" skill should be modified so that the pet
> only attacks monsters that have actually done damage to the guarded
> person, not merely targetted him/her. And monsters should never
> autotarget pets/ex-pets more powerful than themselves. In fact if a
> pet that's MUCH more powerful than them targets them they should run
> like a Frightened Orc instead of go toe-to-toe with it. These
> revisions take care of the twink tamer tricks while allowing
> lower-skilled tamers to own and use pets they are not capable of
> taming themselves yet.

You trust OSI to be able to implement this? I don't see it happening in our
lifetime. These are the same group that couldn't figure out how to keep fire
breathers from going aggressive on their owners for 3 years.

Rick Cortese

May 30, 2001, 3:39:56 PM5/30/01

> In article <tha6ctc...@corp.supernews.com>, Rick Cortese
> <rico...@netmagic.net> writes
> >So then: You got to <ab?>use the current system to make tons of gold and
buy
> >a tower. Now that you got what you want, close the door on someone else
that
> >tries it.
>
> Sheesh, do you want to quote where I say tamers should be nerfed,
> stopped or whatever? Do you want to quite where I say any type of play
> shouldn't be allowed?

"> > I used a friends tamer account when I wanted to raise some cash to buy

> > tower. Was so easy as to be pathetic. Stick two dragons in the Shame
> > elder gazer rooms and invis. Pop out occasionally to drop a bit of meat
> > on em, tell em to guard you, stay, follow you, blow you or whatever and
> > cart off phat lewt to the bank. Damn it is a hard skill to use. You
> > wouldn't believe the amount of invis and recall regs I used."

"Pathetic" isn't exactly a complement here when viewed in context.

> My comment in this argument, besides take em out and shoot em, and I
> really hope you took that how it was intended, is that taming is not
> hard to raise.
>
> I have never said that people shouldn't be tamers, sit on spawn, pose at
> the bank on their mare or anything.

OK, actually we both seem to be in favor of OSI collecting $10/month from
all the pathetic people they can round up. Pander is my motto. Matter of
fact, most of the newsgroup with a few notable exceptions seems to ack the
more pathetic people OSI can lure into the game, the better things get for
everyone else. I just happen to think tamers are less pathetic then
posers.<grin>

> >I will commend you for your candor.
>
> Well thanks.

Welcome.

Eric A. Hall

May 30, 2001, 4:15:35 PM5/30/01

> Today I ran by Cove and tried my hand at Orc scouts for the first
> time. While I was working on one the Glorious Lord Gandalf,
> Grandmaster Ranger (ie, GM Tracking) trotted up with his dragon and
> stole it. He then stole the NEXT one I was working and would have
> stolen every one after that had I not moved off. I dropped 2
> before I got tired of the tamer killstealers and Recalled home.

Couple of comments

a) GM Ranger is also GM Animal Lore

b) Tamers aren't the only ones that kill steal, and they aren't
even the most effective at it, as has been pointed out.
Mages and axers can do it better than a dragon can.

c) Go to the Fel camp spawns, there are fewer idiots. There are
fewer people, and the ones that are there are not stupid for
most part. You can kill the ones that are.

Regarding (c), I killed a shitheel tamer last night on Baja that was
using his wyrm to jump my kills. He would even flag by looting blue
scout corpses, and then giggle out a "newbee" when I didn't attack with
my bard. Got out Knuckles my pvp char, and killed him with 1 poison and
four pokes from a sharp spear, while his wyrm was preoccupied with an
orc.

Brandy

May 30, 2001, 4:23:45 PM5/30/01

"Dani" <dani....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I know :) But I look at tamers from a slightly different perspective. My
point of view is more towards risk vs reward. Nightmares (other than
certain types prized for their color and who would take those to a dungeon
anyway) are just not that hard to come by now that the spawn blocking
problem has been fixed.

If you run around with a silver vanq weapon, even in Trammel, you do risk
losing it if you can't get back to your corpse in time or you lose
connection for a long period of time. It would set you back quite a bit of
gold to replace a silver vanq fencing weapon. Tamers just don't face that
same type of risk.even if they lose their pets, yet they are nearly as
effective as you are with a silver vanq weapon. More effective, if they use
multiple dragons/wyrms.

--
Brandy (SP)

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 5:28:15 PM5/30/01
However, not ALL of us can only remember that it was a TAMER who came
through. All I remember is that an ASS came through. What method he/she
has chosen to use to be an ass is never what I recall. I only recall that
there was an ass who ruined my fun. It can be any skill set that a fool
gets ahold of. Its the fool who you should remember, not the skill set.

"Kiril Threndor" <Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 5:31:29 PM5/30/01

"Brent" <bab...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Speaking of nerfing, I took my mage to the lich lord room the other
> night with our guild. He can't see beyond a one tile limit, essentially
> making him useless in that room. It has been a while since I was
> there. Was there an issue with mages in there that this was intended to
> address?
>
> Brent

Brent,

A friend of mine was having almost the same trouble, but not only with his
mage in the dungeons but with all of his chars. I can't recall the exact
fix but it had something to do with turning off dark nights or something
like that. Spells and potions he cast or used did him no good, but if
anyone else cast it on him, he was fine. Hope this helps you out some.

Kiril Threndor

May 30, 2001, 5:39:05 PM5/30/01
In article <PBdR6.46067$4x5.8...@typhoon.kc.rr.com>, Bob Schroeder
<bschr...@wi.rr.com> writes

>However, not ALL of us can only remember that it was a TAMER who came
>through. All I remember is that an ASS came through. What method he/she
>has chosen to use to be an ass is never what I recall. I only recall that
>there was an ass who ruined my fun. It can be any skill set that a fool
>gets ahold of. Its the fool who you should remember, not the skill set.

yep, but it is easier to be a tard with a dragon than a katana, or maybe
it is that taming has a bad name at the moment so retards who like to
grief other players make a tamer.

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 6:20:37 PM5/30/01
Not really. You were fully functional trying to use pets that someone else
tamed for you. You weren't fully functional as a tamer yet. Maybe one day
you will be. Maybe not.

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 6:26:09 PM5/30/01
> I don't really care what people do in game Pam, the take em out and
> shoot em was said mostly tongue in cheek. It just makes me laugh that
> people say it is a hard skill to train in, it isn't hard, just boring. I
> don't like having to fight people totting dragons but that is another
> matter.

Going off of this post, there isn't a hard skill to train in UO. All of
them are just time and/or money.

Fabrizio

May 30, 2001, 6:32:13 PM5/30/01

Otara ha scritto nel messaggio ...

>Which is a polite way of suggesting I'm lying I'd guess.

No, but there must be a reason for which our experiences
differ that much.
Probably both of us are being one-sided. I really think you
tend to exaggerate things (like when you said that taming is
so powerful that it makes all other skills pointless). Eheh,
maybe I do the same, only I can't see it.
Well, honestly you puzzled me a bit when you raised your own
estimated gaining for an hour as a tamer from 30K to 60K
when I said that a miner can make more than 30K. I think you
just took a single sample, obtained under one-time,
near-perfect conditions and put that out as routine. Maybe
not, and in that case I apologize.
In any case, I am not saying you are lying, and I don't
think so either. Only, when it comes to measurable entities,
you won't expect me to deny the numbers I get, which seem to
be quite different than yours, right? So I say what my
values are, and don't try to put out an explanation.

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 6:38:50 PM5/30/01
But, not all of us are narrow minded enough to make sure we remember it was
a TAMER. Thats the whole point. I hate grief players, its why when UO
first came out and I heard that pk (not pvp mind you) was allowed I didn't
play. I've loved UO since back in my Commodore 64/128 days but I detest the
idea of pk. When a couple of friends of mine told me that Trammel was
coming thats when I started playing the game. Yes I'm a care bear baby, so
what?? The thing to remember is this, someone was being a griefer, not a
tamer, not a bard, not a mage not a whatever, but SOMEONE.

"Kiril Threndor" <Mi...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Fabrizio

May 30, 2001, 6:45:34 PM5/30/01

Brent ha scritto nel messaggio
<3B14D991...@flash.net>...

>Fabrizio wrote:
>
>Any tamers that have not taken their dragons with them to
meet the
>skeletal dragon in Ilshenar are in for a treat ;) I think
OSI is on to
>something. Their are a few new creatures that have a
chance to provoke
>your pet back onto you. I wonder if the next new orc
character will be
>an orcish bard.

Eheh, I have read of them. Of serpentine dragons also.
I have not yet met any of those, but I have been killed
twice (and attacked much more) by my locally tamed dragons
in Ilshenar.
They didn't get wild, they would just revolt against me. If
I ordered them to stay, they would usually obey, losing the
combat flag after a while.
Uhm, the manual states clearly this _can_ happen, but it
never happened to me on Tram. Two possible reasons I could
think of. 1) Like stealing, it can't happen on Trammel but
it can on other facets. 2) It is the screen refresh bug I
have heard of. Since I had tamed dragons there, they had
stayed on the same server, and sometimes, maybe, they get
angry when the screen refreshes, like when I mount/dismount
or when I exit or enter a dungeon (particularly nasty in
this case as there is a little pause when they can hit you).

>Speaking of nerfing, I took my mage to the lich lord room
the other
>night with our guild. He can't see beyond a one tile
limit, essentially
>making him useless in that room. It has been a while since
I was
>there. Was there an issue with mages in there that this
was intended to
>address?
>
>Brent
>
>Brent

Uhm, a strange thing happens to me. I can see very well if I
quaff (NPC-made) nightsight potions or wear one of those
nifty white magical capes, but I can see very little if a GM
mage / GM scholar casts NS on me... different from your
experience, as you state in another post that you have the
exact opposite happening to you.
Honestly, I don't think this is an intended modification by
OSI, which leaves me bewildered. I hope you are _not_
suggesting there is a *shivers* bug in the game, right? ;-)

Otara

May 30, 2001, 7:07:36 PM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 08:30:10 -0700, "Rick Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>"OrionCA" <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:06:04 -0700, Pam <p...@netgamepark.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I think what is going on here is that you have tamers, such as myself,
>> >who took the time to GM the skill. Then you have those who aren't
>> >tamers who simply have pets they cannot control. I don't think many
>> >people are arguing that there is a problem with how ownership of
>> >dragon's is currently implemented.
>>
>> There is also the problem that even if you are a GM Tamer it just
>> means that you spent (x) number of tedious hours practicing on wolves
>> and bears or whatever so that you could own tactical nuclear weapons.
>
>As opposed to creating a GM fencer in 3 days?

80 taming, 100 lore in a week, mostly power hours.

Otara

Otara

May 30, 2001, 7:10:00 PM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 22:20:37 GMT, "Bob Schroeder"
<bschr...@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>Not really. You were fully functional trying to use pets that someone else
>tamed for you. You weren't fully functional as a tamer yet. Maybe one day
>you will be. Maybe not.

I tamed my first dragon in 3 weeks of power hours.

Taming your own is irrelevant functionality wise under the current
system as they are so easy to buy, and owned animals are easy to
retame.

Otara

Otara

May 30, 2001, 7:14:03 PM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 22:32:13 GMT, "Fabrizio" <nos...@nospam.net>
wrote:

>No, but there must be a reason for which our experiences
>differ that much.
>Probably both of us are being one-sided. I really think you
>tend to exaggerate things (like when you said that taming is
>so powerful that it makes all other skills pointless). Eheh,
>maybe I do the same, only I can't see it.

I dont think I said that. I said when I had two dragons at a t-hunt,
I stopped becuase the other people were essentially useless, because I
was killing things so quickly compared to them.

>Well, honestly you puzzled me a bit when you raised your own
>estimated gaining for an hour as a tamer from 30K to 60K
>when I said that a miner can make more than 30K. I think you
>just took a single sample, obtained under one-time,
>near-perfect conditions and put that out as routine.

Actually thats substantially lower than ideal. We've already proved
that over 70k an hour can be done in ideal conditions. I know several
people who get over 50k per hour without struggling.

> Maybe
>not, and in that case I apologize.
>In any case, I am not saying you are lying, and I don't
>think so either. Only, when it comes to measurable entities,
>you won't expect me to deny the numbers I get, which seem to
>be quite different than yours, right? So I say what my
>values are, and don't try to put out an explanation.

Could it be that you simply dont know the methods or tools that some
people are using?

Otara

Michael McClelland

May 30, 2001, 7:20:17 PM5/30/01
"Bob Schroeder" <bschr...@wi.rr.com> wrote in
<_DeR6.46095$4x5.8...@typhoon.kc.rr.com>:

<snip>

>I've loved UO since back in my Commodore 64/128 days but I
>detest the idea of pk.

Powerful Commodore 64 hehe

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 8:09:07 PM5/30/01
Heh, yea... but look at it this way, I didn't need any cards or addons to
play Ultima IV unlike some friends of mine who tried to play on a pc ;)

"Michael McClelland" <avidd...@removespam.home.com> wrote in message

Bob Schroeder

May 30, 2001, 8:11:34 PM5/30/01
I wish I had a clue how to gm lore!! I keep working on it and am barely
over 80. But time is a commodity I don't have much of between work and my
wife keeping me busy! Seems game playing time doesn't mean much to her.

"Otara" <sp...@spammity.com.au> wrote in message

It is loading more messages.