[FYI] Publish update and misc discussion

Myrex

Aug 9, 2001, 7:23:20 AM8/9/01
Publish Update :
This was posted on the FYI section of the official UO Boards

We have published the change listed in Testing for the Next Update to the
Pacific shard, to be active following its next scheduled maintenance
period. Note that a previously posted change to the spawn of resource items
on vendors has been removed from Testing for the Next Update. Due to player
feedback, we have decided to re-evaluate the problem and will notify the
players once a new solution is decided on.

Once we are certain that this publish is operating optimally, we will
publish it to the remaining shards, and the change will be added into
Latest Game Updates at that time.
-----

The next update page contains the following:
Container-related crashing fix Aug 3 2001 5:15PM CST
This testing update addresses certain crashing issues involving containers.
------
In testing:

Unused Character Cleanup :
This was posted on the General Testing section of the official UO Boards :

Character data takes up a great deal of space on the servers. Many players
have multiple characters that they do not play (characters made for one-
time events, made during their regular shard downtime, etc.). Purging
characters that are not being used will result in shorter backups,
decreasing shard down time and increasing overall performance.

Design
Characters are deleted after three months unless:
The character has over 75 total stat points. All characters that are over
75 stat points will not be purged by this system.
Characters at or below 75 total stat points will need to be "refreshed".
Refreshing is defined as logging a character in and then logging out.
Logging in a character will reset the three month timer.
Warnings
In order to warn players, shards on the Shard Selection screen will appear
in a different color when characters on that shard are scheduled for a
purge. Character names in the login list will then appear in the same color
if they have not been logged-in for over 2 months. This will serve as a
reminder and also warn the player in case a time-warp results in the
"refreshing" of a character not saving.

In addition, players will be e-mailed a warning before any character is
purged. It is very important that all players keep their e-mail address
updated in the Account Management section of the Ultima Online website.

-----
Related to next publish:

Adrick on Moongates and FieryIce on UO3D titles :
On the subject of moongates and agressors official UO Boards, Adrick
(Designer UO) commented

They wont be looking for safety at moongates after 13 - in fact moongates
will be off limits to all agressors.

--
I am pulling rabbits out of this hat, but they
seem to come out as cheese on toast.

www.myrex.co.uk - www.deane-saunders.co.uk
R.G.C.U.O irc - irc.stratics.com port 6667 #rgcuo

Castile Elan

Aug 9, 2001, 7:35:20 AM8/9/01
On 9 Aug 2001 11:23:20 GMT, Myrex <Myrex.remov...@uomail.com>
wrote:

>We have published the change listed in Testing for the Next Update to the
>Pacific shard, to be active following its next scheduled maintenance
>period. Note that a previously posted change to the spawn of resource items
>on vendors has been removed from Testing for the Next Update. Due to player
>feedback, we have decided to re-evaluate the problem and will notify the
>players once a new solution is decided on.

Interesting. I think this means we will still be able to buy ingots
etc in industrial quantities?

--
Haruchai, Agha-Khan of the Golden Horde
"For the Phoenix to rise, first it must burn."

uray

Aug 9, 2001, 8:41:11 AM8/9/01
"Myrex" <Myrex.remov...@uomail.com> wrote in message

> Publish Update :
> This was posted on the FYI section of the official UO Boards
>
> We have published the change listed in Testing for the Next Update to the
> Pacific shard, to be active following its next scheduled maintenance
> period. Note that a previously posted change to the spawn of resource
items
> on vendors has been removed from Testing for the Next Update. Due to
player
> feedback, we have decided to re-evaluate the problem and will notify the
> players once a new solution is decided on.
>
> Once we are certain that this publish is operating optimally, we will
> publish it to the remaining shards, and the change will be added into
> Latest Game Updates at that time.

So I still don't know if my leather business is kaput or not. Oh well,
don't make much from it anyhow, it's just something to do with all those
hinds from untamable beasts.

uray

Diaphanous Daydream

Aug 9, 2001, 8:40:34 AM8/9/01
Castile Elan <castil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

<clip>

>Interesting. I think this means we will still be able to buy ingots
>etc in industrial quantities?

Indeed, the plot thickens...

---
Diaphanou...@yahoo.com

Resident of Baja, New Home-Owner of Napa Valley.

Galadriel

Aug 9, 2001, 8:53:23 AM8/9/01

> So I still don't know if my leather business is kaput or not. Oh well,
> don't make much from it anyhow, it's just something to do with all those
> hinds from untamable beasts.
>
> uray

i'll still buy your leather uray...been buying it for months now :)
trillian

Cyrnan

Aug 9, 2001, 11:06:34 AM8/9/01
On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:25:32 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On 9 Aug 2001 11:23:20 GMT, Myrex <Myrex.remov...@uomail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>We have published the change listed in Testing for the Next Update to the
>>Pacific shard, to be active following its next scheduled maintenance
>>period.
>

>Pray for us.

<Snip>
Pray indeed. This patch has returned blocking to Trammel.

Myrex

Aug 9, 2001, 11:16:55 AM8/9/01
Cyrnan woke up on Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:06:34 GMT and sat in
rec.games.computer.ultima.online writing in message

><Snip>
> Pray indeed. This patch has returned blocking to Trammel.

No! No!!! Tell me it isn't so!!!!
Other than for monsters though, I tend to walk around other players. I just
find it most odd to stand in someones horse torso when banking.

Myrex

Aug 9, 2001, 11:36:00 AM8/9/01
OrionCA woke up on Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:28:12 GMT and sat in

>><Snip>
>>Pray indeed. This patch has returned blocking to Trammel.
>

> It's done more than that.

Don't tell me, its put houses on the wrong facets again?

Does it include the more powerful low end spells, with reduced regs etc.?
Or did all that get pulled too?

Katherine

Aug 9, 2001, 11:48:16 AM8/9/01
On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:31:05 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
expounded:

>That still works. Pets don't block you on Trammel, but birds, goats,
>cats, monsters, etc., do. However it's 100% blocking, both shards.
>On Felucca you can't even push past PCs with full stamina now.
>
>This may make life in UO a bit more interesting...and shorter... >:)

It's going to make the city moongates impossible to use, is what it's going
to do... *grumble*

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, LFE (Atlantic)
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Rick C

Aug 9, 2001, 1:28:38 PM8/9/01
Katherine wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:31:05 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
> expounded:
>
> >That still works. Pets don't block you on Trammel, but birds, goats,
> >cats, monsters, etc., do. However it's 100% blocking, both shards.
> >On Felucca you can't even push past PCs with full stamina now.
> >
> >This may make life in UO a bit more interesting...and shorter... >:)
>
> It's going to make the city moongates impossible to use, is what it's going
> to do... *grumble*

Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
penalties for recidivists.
--
3505 AS Clean
RC2 Pro over RC1 Pro

Everett Hickey

Aug 9, 2001, 7:35:22 AM8/9/01
"Rick C" <pixe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Katherine wrote:
> > On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:31:05 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
> > expounded:
> >
> > >That still works. Pets don't block you on Trammel, but birds, goats,
> > >cats, monsters, etc., do. However it's 100% blocking, both shards.
> > >On Felucca you can't even push past PCs with full stamina now.
> > >
> > >This may make life in UO a bit more interesting...and shorter... >:)
> >
> > It's going to make the city moongates impossible to use, is what it's
going
> > to do... *grumble*
>
> Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
> a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
> penalties for recidivists.

So in other words the solution is even further limitations on gameplay.

The best game design allows people to try to do whatever they want, and
often achieve it to an extent - but without letting them get away with too
much and always providing a safe harbor for others.

This is a lot like the arguments for liberty being a liability towards
safety... a line of reasoning often used when another liberty is being taken
away.

By adding these bans, they suddenly make a number of actions that were
perfectly sensible earlier into something that will probably need to be
banned in order to keep the masses happy.

Rick C

Aug 9, 2001, 3:12:26 PM8/9/01
Everett Hickey wrote:
> "Rick C" <pixe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > It's going to make the city moongates impossible to use, is what it's
> going
> > > to do... *grumble*

> > Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
> > a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
> > penalties for recidivists.

> So in other words the solution is even further limitations on gameplay.

Aww, too fucking bad the pimp-v-ho gankfesters may have to stop
inconveniencing the rest of us.

> The best game design allows people to try to do whatever they want, and
> often achieve it to an extent - but without letting them get away with too
> much and always providing a safe harbor for others.

Hm. Isn't blocking the moongate the exact opposite of providing safe
harbor for others? It's a cheapshot technique.

> By adding these bans, they suddenly make a number of actions that were
> perfectly sensible earlier into something that will probably need to be
> banned in order to keep the masses happy.

Moongate blocking is only a perfectly sensible action if you're a
cheapshot artist.

Solrac Ortsac

Aug 9, 2001, 5:29:08 PM8/9/01
Canyon posted this in response to the push through
Thanks for reporting it. The QA and Dev teams are aware of it, and
currently working on addressing it. I don't have an ETA on it yet,
though.

Got this from the Uo boards

Eric A. Hall

Aug 10, 2001, 12:35:21 AM8/10/01

> As this 'bug' has been reported repeatedly for at least 4 weeks that I
> can recall, and this is the first official acknowledgment that it
> exists, don't hold your breath.

They don't read TC bug reports, you should know that by now.

Eric A. Hall

Aug 10, 2001, 12:35:43 AM8/10/01

kh...@icqmail.com

Aug 10, 2001, 4:48:34 AM8/10/01
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:28:38 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Katherine wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:31:05 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
>> expounded:
>>
>> >That still works. Pets don't block you on Trammel, but birds, goats,
>> >cats, monsters, etc., do. However it's 100% blocking, both shards.
>> >On Felucca you can't even push past PCs with full stamina now.
>> >
>> >This may make life in UO a bit more interesting...and shorter... >:)
>>
>> It's going to make the city moongates impossible to use, is what it's going
>> to do... *grumble*
>
>Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
>a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
>penalties for recidivists.

"I lagged out coming through, didn't mean to block..."

--
"I want to be pretty *and* kick butt"
- 19 y/o girl's reaction to Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft

Brent

Aug 10, 2001, 7:12:32 AM8/10/01
Everett Hickey wrote:

> This is a lot like the arguments for liberty being a liability towards
> safety... a line of reasoning often used when another liberty is being taken
> away.

Well, natural selection would eventually take it's course, but most of
the rest of us don't want to be collateral victims in the mean time.

Brent

Brent

Aug 10, 2001, 7:14:18 AM8/10/01
kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

> "I lagged out coming through, didn't mean to block..."

Any of you ever try escorting while that was going on before? The damn
escort would jump in the gate and stand there so you couldn't get
through in an effort to avoid payment.

Brent

Myrex

Aug 10, 2001, 7:18:57 AM8/10/01
Brent woke up on Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:14:18 GMT and sat in
rec.games.computer.ultima.online writing in message

Happens with me gating them.
They go through, I get lagged and arrive afterwards, but they are stood on
the gate, so I constantly pop back to where I started off from... Most
annoying.

Solrac Ortsac

Aug 10, 2001, 9:31:37 AM8/10/01
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:38:09 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>As this 'bug' has been reported repeatedly for at least 4 weeks that I
>can recall, and this is the first official acknowledgment that it
>exists, don't hold your breath.

I believe that this is a more serious bug (It basically means I can
kill you in Trammel 100% easier then before) it will get fixed fast im
sure or else it will be a support nightmare for them..... People can
live without vets for right now (Not saying they dont deserve them)
but massive trammel boxing in and killing is too severe to put on back
burner

Little WhiteDove

Aug 10, 2001, 10:20:26 AM8/10/01
In article <iks5ntkcll5puapm2...@4ax.com>, Solrac Ortsac
<lo...@me.com> wrote:

They said addressing it, not fixing it lol.
"Dear push through, I hope you are alive and well today!"

--
Lady Little WhiteDove
Badb Catha, Lia Fail Empire

Myrex

Aug 10, 2001, 10:36:16 AM8/10/01
Little WhiteDove woke up on Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:20:26 GMT and sat in

>|Got this from the Uo boards
>
> They said addressing it, not fixing it lol.
> "Dear push through, I hope you are alive and well today!"

OMG, you can be the perfect troll some days :P

kh...@icqmail.com

Aug 10, 2001, 8:12:01 PM8/10/01

Heh.

I haven't seen that one myself, but I've seen a lot of em run through
ahead of me and then act as though they don't know me when I get
there...

Ladyhawke

Aug 11, 2001, 2:30:10 AM8/11/01

> Cyrnan woke up on Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:06:34 GMT and sat in
> rec.games.computer.ultima.online writing in message
>
> ><Snip>
> > Pray indeed. This patch has returned blocking to Trammel.
> >

> No! No!!! Tell me it isn't so!!!!
> Other than for monsters though, I tend to walk around other players. I
just
> find it most odd to stand in someones horse torso when banking.

Aye, it made walking into our house interesting... We have a log, with an
vendor on the steps to keep NPCs and monsters out... it kept us out, until
we had a GM move the vendor...rofl!!!

Blessed be,
Morgana Si
Pac Shard

Brent

Aug 11, 2001, 7:45:37 AM8/11/01
kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

> I haven't seen that one myself, but I've seen a lot of em run through
> ahead of me and then act as though they don't know me when I get
> there...

Yeah, I've seen that, too. I wish you could check the karma of NPC's.

Brent

uray

Aug 11, 2001, 10:23:16 AM8/11/01
"Galadriel" <dwi...@ohnoyoudont.commandnet.net> wrote in message

Ah, a loyal customer :-)

Maybe I should take my warrior out a bit more. Been so busy working on my
mage-tamer that I haven't been using up much armour lately. It's cut into
your and CarlJ's smith business. I used to go through a full plate set in a
week or less.

uray

Galadriel

Aug 11, 2001, 11:09:23 AM8/11/01
haven't been on much lately...working 3 jobs in RL, so full plate vendor
been empty about a week. will get some up early next week tho :)
Trill

uray <ur...@remove-att.net> wrote in message

Rick C

Aug 13, 2001, 10:24:18 AM8/13/01
kh...@icqmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:28:38 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> >Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
> >a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
> >penalties for recidivists.

> "I lagged out coming through, didn't mean to block..."

Fine. You get one grace period, maybe one per real-time week. I'm
content with gathering enough information to establish a pattern of grief
behavior.

kh...@icqmail.com

Aug 13, 2001, 9:11:19 PM8/13/01
On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:24:18 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>kh...@icqmail.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:28:38 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> >Well the obvious anser to that is that blocking moongates should net you
>> >a 24-hour ban for the first offense, with drastically increasing
>> >penalties for recidivists.
>
>> "I lagged out coming through, didn't mean to block..."
>
>Fine. You get one grace period, maybe one per real-time week. I'm
>content with gathering enough information to establish a pattern of grief
>behavior.

Heh. Considering my connection, that translates to 'one gate-hop per
week.' Extras dependant on whether anyone comes by during that one or
not.

Rick C

Aug 14, 2001, 10:22:16 AM8/14/01
kh...@icqmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:24:18 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

> >> "I lagged out coming through, didn't mean to block..."
> >
> >Fine. You get one grace period, maybe one per real-time week. I'm
> >content with gathering enough information to establish a pattern of grief
> >behavior.
>
> Heh. Considering my connection, that translates to 'one gate-hop per
> week.' Extras dependant on whether anyone comes by during that one or
> not.

Then don't use the fixed gates. Moonstones are still around. Me, I hate
going thru the fixed gates anyway. (Except that I do occasionally use
them, altho lately I tend to almost exclusively go to the Buc's Den one
as there's almost never anyone around it.

Katherine

Aug 14, 2001, 5:50:12 PM8/14/01
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:22:16 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
expounded:

>Then don't use the fixed gates. Moonstones are still around. Me, I hate
>going thru the fixed gates anyway. (Except that I do occasionally use
>them, altho lately I tend to almost exclusively go to the Buc's Den one
>as there's almost never anyone around it.

Moonstones are around for people who do a lot of hunting. For those who
don't get on often, and don't enjoy hunting monsters enough to spend our
limited time doing it, moonstones are a bit rare...

Katherine, LFE

Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Library of Britain <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/library/>

Rick C

Aug 15, 2001, 1:27:13 PM8/15/01
Katherine wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:22:16 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
> expounded:
>
> >Then don't use the fixed gates. Moonstones are still around. Me, I hate
> >going thru the fixed gates anyway. (Except that I do occasionally use
> >them, altho lately I tend to almost exclusively go to the Buc's Den one
> >as there's almost never anyone around it.
>
> Moonstones are around for people who do a lot of hunting. For those who
> don't get on often, and don't enjoy hunting monsters enough to spend our
> limited time doing it, moonstones are a bit rare...

I feel your pain. Really. But gotta do something about the jerks who
sit on the moongate. Hmm, maybe you should bounce off the receiving side
when you step thru. Go in from the west, appear on the other side on the
east.

Katherine

Aug 15, 2001, 5:42:00 PM8/15/01
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:27:13 -0400, Rick C <pixe...@hotmail.com>
expounded:

>I feel your pain. Really. But gotta do something about the jerks who

>sit on the moongate. Hmm, maybe you should bounce off the receiving side
>when you step thru. Go in from the west, appear on the other side on the
>east.

How about this--when you enter the stone circle, you have one minute to
enter the gate, and clear the stones on the other side, before you flag
grey.