Too Late To Save OS?

Quaestor

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Well, I will assume (naturally) that the suggestions I made are finally
used, without credit of course. That means basically everything you see
here, right down to the Option part in the party system. But will it save
the game? A great deal depends on the location of the "consensual area,"
and how much of the game one cannot play while staying in it. A lot also
depends on how soon, and how bugless they can implement this.
_____________________________

In Development was updated with the following:

Player Interaction Changes
Unless in a guild war, players will not be able to damage other players when
in the consent only area. Because players will not be able to attack each
other in cases outside of guild wars, other changes must be made to the way
players can interact in the consent only area to accommodate for this.

Corpse Looting
You will not be able to loot a corpse of another player unless you are in
the same guild or at war with their guild. The party system will also allow
you to select whether you want members of your party to be able to loot your
corpse or not.

Items Blocking
Items placed on the ground will not impede movement. Characters will be able
to walk through all items placed on the ground.

Positive and Negative Acts
Positive and negative spells and actions will change in the consent only
area. For the purposes of explaining how these interactions are changed,
characters are grouped into three categories: Guild War, Non-Guild War, and
Non-Guilded.

Guild War (GWar) - The character is in a guild that is at war with another
guild.
Non-Guild War (NonGWar) - The character is in a guild, but not at war with
any guilds.
Non-Guilded (NonGuild) - The character is not in a guild.

Interactions Table
There are two kinds of interactions players can perform on each other:
negative acts and positive acts.

Negative acts include:

All negative spells, including damage spells, paralyze, stat decreasing
spells, blocking spells (such as wall of stone), all mana altering spells,
dispel spells, blade sprits, and energy vortexes.
All combat, (includes melee, archery, purple potions, etc.)
Stealing and snooping.
All bardic skills.
Looting others.
Blocking
Pet "attack" and "guard" commands.

Positive Acts include:

Positive spells such as healing, curing, resurrection, and all stat raising
spells.
Pet "transfer", "friend", and "guard" commands.
Using the healing skill on another player.

The table below describes the interactions each type of character can have
with the other types of characters in the consent only area. If the act has
a "no" under it, that means that both types of characters cannot perform
that type of act on each other.

Negative Acts

Positive Acts
Non Guild War vs. Non-Guild No No
Non-Guild vs. Non-Guild No Yes
Guild War vs. Non Guild War No No
Guild War vs. Guild War Yes Yes
Non Guild War vs. Non Guild War No Yes
Guild War vs. Non-Guild No No

Note that this table works both ways. That means since a character in a
Guild War cannot perform a positive act on a character in a guild that has
no war declarations, the character in the guild with no declarations cannot
perform a positive act on the guild war enabled character. This will remove
the "blue healer" issue during guild wars when in the consent only area.

Blocking
Blocking will also be considered a negative act. Characters and their pets
will not be able to block other characters unless they are in a guild war
with that other character. Additionally, a wall of stone cast by a mage in a
guild war will not affect a non-guilded character. Characters that are at
war with the mage and characters in his guild will be blocked by the wall
while those that are not will walk right through it.

Murderers
Murderers will not be allowed in the consent only area. If they become a
murderer while in the consent only area (because they are reported after
they journey to that area) they will be removed from the consent area.

Enhanced PvP Area
The interactions in the PvP enhanced area will be detailed in a future
communication.

Richard Cortese

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote in message

> Well, I will assume (naturally) that the suggestions I made are finally
> used, without credit of course. That means basically everything you see
Actually, the proper term for this would be something like convergence<?>. I
mean I don't think you emailed Verant, but this looks like a carbon copy of
what happens in EQ.

When something becomes intuitively obvious, for example Diablo proved there
were going to be massive a-holism in any online game, ways of limiting what
went wrong with Diablo have been kicking around for years.

For instance, in Diablo IIRC, you can only get 1/2 the persons gold because
a-holism preceded even that game the authors *knew* they had to limit
looting. I can remember a DM moderated game on Portal circa '89 when it was
already obvious there were going to be problem players. The term PK is older
then any of the currently hot ticket games anyway.

> here, right down to the Option part in the party system. But will it save
> the game? A great deal depends on the location of the "consensual area,"
> and how much of the game one cannot play while staying in it. A lot also
> depends on how soon, and how bugless they can implement this.

Beware of drifting threads.

Rough night. Son came over and was mining using my computer. Ore thief
started telling him he was going to smoke his ass, so I logged in with one
of his old characters he had on my account before he got his own.

Ore thief came back with a "new improved 1600 stone" pack horse and
proceeded to rob the miners with ore on the ground. One murder count later,
we were looting his corpse and his dead pack horse of the stolen ore.

Quick gate to a forge and the ingots with most of the thieve's loot are
banked.

So I logout, but my son continues to mine. Sure enough, ore thief comes
back. Ore thief is loading up his horse, no way I was going to get back in
time, so I tell my son "Kill the horse".

So we have a miner with no fighting skills trying to kill a pack horse with
a mage/ore thief running around behind him trying to get off a few spells. I
get into the game just as the thief finishes my sons miner off<The pack
horse almost did it solo> and my son is shouting for me to kill the horse so
the thief does not get his ore. I manage to cast a few good damage spells
and the pack horse falls.

This of course has flagged me grey, so now under attack by the ore thief.
Old character, hasn't been used since before the meditation patch so oom.
Tried using a few arm/disarm macros and DOH! 2nd computer has numlock on, no
macros set for this character since I have never used it!

Pretty close anyway, but took a dirt nap. Not a big loss, this was one of my
sons old characters that he literally stripped naked when he got his new
account. I put some regs on her for emergencies like this, but zero armor. I
mean the difference was probably as small as I forgot to turn off noto query
on the 2nd computer.

By now my son has rezed his character and bumped most of the ore out of the
cave. I get his old character to the bank where I had some emergency regs
and gate him to a forge for round 2 of smelting and banking. We look around
the mine, ore thief may have bought *another* pack horse as 20-30 ores are
missing and took the old character's "fancy dress", snicker. Heck, fancy
dress sells for 12 gold and he has to make that 1300 he lost on pack horses
back someway.

So while my son goes about his business, I hide his old character in the
mine hoping for another shot at the ore thief with the numlock key off, no
luck.

I'd like to think the ore thief did not have nearly as much fun as he
expected. I know I did enjoy killing him and his horse the first time, his
horse the 2nd time, but not as much as you would imagine. I know my son went
into a rant ~"See what I told you Dad? This is how screwed it is to be a
miner! It is like this everytime I try to mine!"

Too Late To Save OS? was the question.

I ended up getting my Baja character out and stomping some lesser evils with
a dragon. It felt good, but it didn't feel as good as I wanted it to. I
think it was residual burn out from the Pac episode.

Heat of the moment, I had gone and stood in that stupid cave for about an
hour, no fun. Ore thief never returned, he must not have been having fun.
Son ranting about how tough it is for miners, no fun.

I think this is the first time I have said this, but the amount of tools
given to both us and the jerks makes it such that the game is not fun for
any of us. I mean I still really like the game, but because of the number of
ways you can be a jerk coupled with the number of ways you can kill jerks,
it isn't a bunch of fun for anyone involved. Be nice of some if it was coded
out.

I'm still kind of flip flopping. I mean not all my hobbies are fun, I do
electronic projects for the heck of it and they can only be described as
tedious, I am not sure I should require that UO be fun. I just wish there
some fun anywhere in the game. Just a mindless fun child like romp through
the woods while cracking jokes and enjoying everyones company.

Quaestor

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote in message
> > Well, I will assume (naturally) that the suggestions I made are finally
> > used, without credit of course. That means basically everything you see
> Actually, the proper term for this would be something like convergence<?>.

I supposed I should have added *smug self-righteous smirk* just to make the
point that I was being humorous. Well, you can figger that out. :-)

> I mean I don't think you emailed Verant, but this looks like a carbon copy of
> what happens in EQ.

OK, let's see, That's the game that took so many away from UO, and has a much
higher subscription rate, right?

> Beware of drifting threads.

Is this a Fishing thing? *confused*

> So I logout, but my son continues to mine. Sure enough, ore thief comes
> back. Ore thief is loading up his horse, no way I was going to get back in
> time, so I tell my son "Kill the horse".

Should smelt the horse. :-)

> So while my son goes about his business, I hide his old character in the
> mine hoping for another shot at the ore thief with the numlock key off, no
> luck.

Them ore thieves can tell when you got your numlock off. *nudge*

> It is like this everytime I try to mine!"

Well, the new non-pk lands sound about right for him. Of course, jerks coming
along (stealthing) will still be able to grab ore on the ground, and then there
will be nothing you can do about it.

> Too Late To Save OS? was the question.
>
> I ended up getting my Baja character out and stomping some lesser evils with
> a dragon. It felt good, but it didn't feel as good as I wanted it to. I
> think it was residual burn out from the Pac episode.

PMS. Post-Murder Sleepyness.

> I think this is the first time I have said this, but the amount of tools given
> to both us and the jerks makes it such that the game is not fun for any of us.
> I mean I still really like the game, but because of the number of ways you can
> be a jerk coupled with the number of ways you can kill jerks, it isn't a bunch
> of fun for anyone involved. Be nice of some if it was coded out.

I, for one, would like to see the game with little or no magic, for OR against
us. Trying to be a fighter is hell when you have to consider facing unlimited
numbers of pk and monsters that can nuke you to a crisp or take your hard-won
kill with so little effort or time. And of course, no thieving. This still
leaves blocking. looting, ore-grabbing, etc.

> I'm still kind of flip flopping. I mean not all my hobbies are fun, I do
> electronic projects for the heck of it and they can only be described as
> tedious, I am not sure I should require that UO be fun. I just wish there
> some fun anywhere in the game. Just a mindless fun child like romp through
> the woods while cracking jokes and enjoying everyones company.

It would be nice if the game could be what we want when we want it. The problem
is, they have spent such vast resources messing around with ways to be a jerk,
creating them, controlling them, enhancing them, blocking them. If they had
just removed them ... Oh well.

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Too late to save what? UO? Probably, since it looks like they are going to
implement these lame changes into the game. I guess that area will be the
"arcade" area of UO. No risks, no real challenge...just earn up all day
long, and draw a good portion of the quests and other GM run events away
from the people who pay just like you, but like the added risk of player
attacks.

I understand why OSI did this, since they need money, and if they can
attract these types of players then they will do it. It's too bad they
couldn't just start another server up for you people.

Otara

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 02:00:09 GMT, "The_Vipah" <oho...@cnx.net> wrote:
>Too late to save what? UO? Probably, since it looks like they are going to
>implement these lame changes into the game. I guess that area will be the
>"arcade" area of UO.

Thats funny, thats what many people describe the PvP aspect as. Could
it be that its all just an arcade game in the end?

> No risks, no real challenge...just earn up all day
>long, and draw a good portion of the quests and other GM run events away
>from the people who pay just like you, but like the added risk of player
>attacks.

This will only happen if there are more people there.

>I understand why OSI did this, since they need money, and if they can
>attract these types of players then they will do it. It's too bad they
>couldn't just start another server up for you people.

I agree. Care to guess why they didnt?

Otara

Madman Across the Water

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
In the beginning was the Word, and then Quaestor
<Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote:

>Negative acts include:

>Pet "attack" and "guard" commands.
>
>Positive Acts include:

>Pet "transfer", "friend", and "guard" commands.

So is the guard command negative or positive? Or can you only do it if
you are allowed both?

Madman Across the Water

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...

You can pad stats all day long, but I have a feeling that most of the people
in PVP- will be new players, attracted by the "switch". Have fun my
friends. And you can always come back...we won't hold a grudge :)

OrionCA wrote in message ...
>On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 15:10:32 +1100, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
>wrote:

>>>I understand why OSI did this, since they need money, and if they can
>>>attract these types of players then they will do it. It's too bad they
>>>couldn't just start another server up for you people.
>>
>>I agree. Care to guess why they didnt?
>

>"I KNOW! I KNOW!" (waves hand wildly in air) "Umm..could it be
>because we out number him better than 5 to 1?"
>--
>Brutal Truth#27: If you and your friend encounter a bear
>in the woods, just remember that you don't have to be
>faster than the bear; just faster than your friend.

Austin

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:16:43 GMT, "The_Vipah" <oho...@cnx.net> wrote:

>5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
>ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
>reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
>around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
>interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...
>
>You can pad stats all day long, but I have a feeling that most of the people
>in PVP- will be new players, attracted by the "switch". Have fun my
>friends. And you can always come back...we won't hold a grudge :)

And when they realize Guildwars are better in the PK- zone (there is
no PvP- Zone) theyll switch sides, as will their opponents.There will
be noone left in PK+, unless a LARGE carrot is dangled.

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
And at that point the game will be officially ruined. Rue the day.

Otara

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:16:43 GMT, "The_Vipah" <oho...@cnx.net> wrote:
>5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
>ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
>reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
>around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
>interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...

While I know quite a few others who are extremely interested - PvP
but no PKing.

>You can pad stats all day long, but I have a feeling that most of the people
>in PVP- will be new players, attracted by the "switch". Have fun my
>friends. And you can always come back...we won't hold a grudge :)

Umm - padded stats vs 'feeling'. Neither is really much use is it?
We'll just have to see. Few people said EQ was going to die tho
because it was just monster bashing, and they got that a bit wrong -
and UO has a few more options than EQ.

OTOH, it didnt kill off UO either, so I suspect the result will be
somewhere in between for this change too - PvP+ will take a hit, but
it will endure.

And dont forget there might not be something to come 'back' to,
depending on what happens to the old lands.

Otara

Richard Cortese

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00

> Richard Cortese wrote:
> > It is like this everytime I try to mine!"
>
> Well, the new non-pk lands sound about right for him. Of course, jerks
coming
> along (stealthing) will still be able to grab ore on the ground, and then
there
> will be nothing you can do about it.
His problem is: He buys a pack horse, the ore thief kills the pack horse and
steals the ore. Ore thief buys a pack horse, fills it up with stolen ore and
gates out. If he attacks the pack horse, he goes gray and loses his shovels
too. IOW: He loses a pack horse every time he takes it out of guard
protection while the ore thief can use theirs. Well, technically the ore
thief couldn't use his pack horses for anything other then hides this time,
but that was an unusual case.

We'll see if it is safe to use a pack horse in PK- lands, that is all that
is really necessary to fix this particular problem, but for my money
exploiters should be banned. I don't care that we killed his pack horses and
him, I don't want an exploiter in the game. If he didn't hand out murder
counts after getting caught stealing I could cut him some slack, but as a
cheating horses ass he really needs to go. Name was Mad Jack BTW for any Pac
miners around.

> > Too Late To Save OS? was the question.
> >
> > I ended up getting my Baja character out and stomping some lesser evils
with
> > a dragon. It felt good, but it didn't feel as good as I wanted it to. I
> > think it was residual burn out from the Pac episode.
>

> PMS. Post-Murder Sleepyness.
After a good nights sleep, I feel like picking up a few more murder counts
on Pac. Next time we can just have a pack horse and wait for the ore thief
to try killing it/go gray and avoid the MC anyway.

Quaestor

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00

Actually, a recent change was that only your other pets and your self could
be guarded. This should change all that. I'm guessing the above is a
typo. I've asked the gods for clarification.

Zaphkiel

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
>From: "The_Vipah" oho...@cnx.net

>5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
>ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
>reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
>around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
>interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...

So your friends are not heavy PvPers, they aren't reds, and they
aren't monster bashers. What does that leave? Craftsmen?
Craftsmen who REALLY want the game to be PvP+++. Sorry,
but I find this to be total bullshit.
Also, you should be honest and admit that your friends are
your friends BECAUSE they like PvP. That makes the sample
biased. That makes any interpretation of the facts based on that
sample biased.
In any case, it's the level of PvP- players in the (potential
customer base) that is the point. They are trying to get the people
that quit in disgust to come back.

--Zaphkiel

Austin

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:52:47 GMT, "The_Vipah" <oho...@cnx.net> wrote:

>And at that point the game will be officially ruined. Rue the day.

How will the game be ruined?
Why do you need a victim to have fun?
Is there a good Psychologist near you?

Richard Cortese

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote in message
Just an odd point I would like you to double check if you get the chance.

Not a big deal, but have Kai order a pet to guard her in Yew, then single
click her. I was having trouble anywhere in town getting the [guarded] to
come up. Worked everywhere else. I imagine it is something to do with the
Orc invasions.

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Buddy, I DONT PK! NEVER BLOODY HAVE!. I just don't enjoy integral parts of
the game removed. Thieving is TOTALLY dependent on being able to defend
yourself by attacking the offender. Lets get rid of PKing you
say...fine....bye bye thieving. Wow this is getting better already.
<excited>. Ok now that we are TOTALY safe lets block monsters and shoot
Corp Por's at them all day long. Guild wars....hmmmm why the hell am I
fighting this guy? I have I ever met him? Do I want his shit? am I mad
at him? NOPE!.....Guild wars are lame, I don't attack someone unless they
provoke me by attacking inocent people right in front of me or steal from
someone or myself. If ANYTHING guildwars are mindless excuses for PVP. It
may be concensual, but as far as I'm concerned if you buy and play UO, then
you are agreeing to being attacked...Don't want it? Play EQ or AC. Go away
already.

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Actually most of the people that I talk to commment on the fact that should
the game take this unfortunate turn, they will quit the game altogether.
It's too bad, but I guess OSI has to finally and utterly stick a dagger in
this game for once and for all. I guess, like I have said before, that
money is more important to OSI then quality gaming. They will prove this
now. <applauds>

The_Vipah

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
?

Ok my mindless friend.
THEY DON'T PVP HEAVILY.

understand?

They want a happy medium and at this point IMHO the game is enjoying this.
Alittle mindless monsterbashing...a little running for their lives...and
should the guildmaster so choose a little killing for no reason at all.

Austin

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 22:06:07 GMT, "The_Vipah" <oho...@cnx.net> wrote:

>Buddy, I DONT PK! NEVER BLOODY HAVE!. I just don't enjoy integral parts of
>the game removed. Thieving is TOTALLY dependent on being able to defend
>yourself by attacking the offender. Lets get rid of PKing you
>say...fine....bye bye thieving. Wow this is getting better already.
><excited>. Ok now that we are TOTALY safe lets block monsters and shoot
>Corp Por's at them all day long. Guild wars....hmmmm why the hell am I
>fighting this guy? I have I ever met him? Do I want his shit? am I mad
>at him? NOPE!.....Guild wars are lame, I don't attack someone unless they
>provoke me by attacking inocent people right in front of me or steal from
>someone or myself. If ANYTHING guildwars are mindless excuses for PVP. It
>may be concensual, but as far as I'm concerned if you buy and play UO, then
>you are agreeing to being attacked...Don't want it? Play EQ or AC. Go away
>already.

Cant have victimizing behaviour, without the victims. Either you want
to be the victimizer, or the victim. I dont have to buy AC or EQ, im
happy with UO, and the direction it is going, sounds like you need the
new game. Although i dont see any on the horizon that will allow you
to be a PK

Otara

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00

You do realise that this has been said at every major change in the
game?

Otara

Otara

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Who are you talking to?

Otara

The_Vipah

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Can you read? I don't want to PK. I would like people to *attempt* to PK
me. And you are right, if they continue to push the game in the way it is
going, then pks will dissapear forever. I hope you have fun blocking
monsters all day and talking ala IRC for the rest of your UO stay.

The_Vipah

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
This is a *little* bit different. This is an integral part of the game
which would seem is on it's way out.

The_Vipah

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
That silly Zaphkiel guy.

godfrey

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
I will be there if there are some nice mining spots.

:)

Oh well

g0dfr3y

Quaestor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> Not a big deal, but have Kai order a pet to guard her in Yew, then single
> click her. I was having trouble anywhere in town getting the [guarded] to
> come up. Worked everywhere else. I imagine it is something to do with the
> Orc invasions.

In the invaded towns the pet guard function has not been working, presumeably
to keep me from doing exactly what I managed to do anyway, having the dragon
wipe out whole spawns without having to direct attacks individually. Using
dragons in Yew, Kai Du has had to order them to kill, something I'm not used
to, always using the guard function instead. Once the dragon was fighting,
the new spawns would generally go for it, as happened today (one at a time,
like a Seer was individually placing them, 12 orc lords appeared all around
the dragon, and he waxed them without scratching a scale, much to the delight
of those standing around to whom I left the proceeds). Anyway, the ALL KILL
method worked, along with careful management to keep the orcs focused on the
dragon while I picked them off and sometimes healed the dragon.

Tonight however I found that Q's summoned elementals were autodefending
against mongbats in Yew. Meant to test it farther but sort of didn't.

There have been problems reported with the patch, but I suspect they won't
pull it. Problems include unkillable monsters, and unusually high spell
failure rates shared by many people. One guy claims his 99.9 mage failed 50
water elementals in a row. :-( I know I failed 7th and 8th way more than
usual. But if the problems don't actually cause the server to catch fire or
the coffee machine to explode, OS won't pull it. So I'll check more on pet
and summon guard function in the invaded towns tomorrow.

I do like the accellerated skill gain function, though there seems to be a bug
that is giving rediculous gain in meditation. I had an experience similar to
someone else on the SBR channel, where he went from 50 to 62 Med in 20
minutes. Med and Eval are definitely gaining just from casting. Very
interesting. Of course, every such advantage may Seem like it helps the jerks
as much as the rest of us, but I assume most of them have their macroed
supercharacters already, so we're just catching up.

And macroing seems pretty well busted, INCLUDING SPARRING. That's right, it
will no longer work to stand for hours hacking your buddy. If you don't
change targets and move your location with an unspecified frequency, you get
less and less gain, eventually none. I confirm this, since I have more than
one character working on "macroable" things (Eval, Anat), and when I run my 7
cycle keystroke macros without moving, they gain only once if at all, whereas
if I move and vary the target I get good gains.

And today they finally let the Faction System out. This may just have some
interest in it. http://update.uo.com/design_175.html

Kiril Threndor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
In article <JWjv4.133147$A5.25...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>, The_Vipah
<oho...@cnx.net> writes

>Too late to save what? UO? Probably, since it looks like they are going to
>implement these lame changes into the game. I guess that area will be the
>"arcade" area of UO. No risks, no real challenge...just earn up all day

>long, and draw a good portion of the quests and other GM run events away
>from the people who pay just like you, but like the added risk of player
>attacks.
>
>I understand why OSI did this, since they need money, and if they can
>attract these types of players then they will do it. It's too bad they
>couldn't just start another server up for you people.

How can it finish OSI and spoil the game? If everyone goes there then
you are wrong anyway. It will only be your game spoiled not the vast
majority who will cross over.

Kiril Threndor
A swordsman, just not a very good one!

Be true, Unbeliever
Answer the call.

Kiril Threndor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
In article <%jqv4.135406$A5.25...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>, The_Vipah
<oho...@cnx.net> writes

>5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
>ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
>reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
>around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
>interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...
>
>You can pad stats all day long, but I have a feeling that most of the people
>in PVP- will be new players, attracted by the "switch". Have fun my
>friends. And you can always come back...we won't hold a grudge :)

I can go the other way and say that in my Guild of 20, I will be pretty
lonely in the PvP+ lands.

It may seem that I come across as anti PK and anti PvP but nothing could
be further than the truth. I just don't want to force my game play on
anyone else, or have someone else's forced on me, I want to choose what
to do. Bring on the PvP-lands, it will make UO a better place for
everyone. And as for you thinking that only newbies will be there and
that really everyone likes PvP but won't admit it, I guess only time
will tell but I really think that the words humble and pie will be
showing up a lot before too long :)

Kiril Threndor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
In article <G3Ev4.136693$A5.25...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>, The_Vipah
<oho...@cnx.net> writes

>Can you read? I don't want to PK. I would like people to *attempt* to PK
>me.

Then what is your problem? If you want people to attempt to PK you, stay
where you are! For F**ks sake, no one is making anyone go PvP-. If you
like it, just stay the same but don't force it on those that don't want
it.

Richard Cortese

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00

> Richard Cortese wrote:
> to, always using the guard function instead. Once the dragon was
fighting,
> the new spawns would generally go for it, as happened today (one at a
time,
> like a Seer was individually placing them, 12 orc lords appeared all
around
> the dragon, and he waxed them without scratching a scale, much to the
delight
> of those standing around to whom I left the proceeds). Anyway, the ALL
KILL
> method worked, along with careful management to keep the orcs focused on
the
> dragon while I picked them off and sometimes healed the dragon.
Did the same thing myself, one newbie reported ~"Thanks a lot, I have over
2,000 gold now!"

But it was outside of Yew in one of the spawn zones. Orc spawn on Baja was
really bad. One Orc mage in about 20 minutes.

Really good dragon for some reason last night. It was almost like the dragon
was being played by a seer. Everytime any PC on the screen got overmatched,
be it newbie or bard, the dragon just took off and killed the monster w/o
getting needing to be commanded.

> There have been problems reported with the patch, but I suspect they won't
> pull it. Problems include unkillable monsters, and unusually high spell
> failure rates shared by many people. One guy claims his 99.9 mage failed
50
> water elementals in a row. :-( I know I failed 7th and 8th way more than
> usual. But if the problems don't actually cause the server to catch fire
or
> the coffee machine to explode, OS won't pull it. So I'll check more on
pet
> and summon guard function in the invaded towns tomorrow.

They actually reported on their skill gain update page that the new patch
would not effect failure rates. The should start adding qualifiers to it
like "We hope the new patch does not effect failure rates because we don't
intend it to".

> And macroing seems pretty well busted, INCLUDING SPARRING. That's right,
it
> will no longer work to stand for hours hacking your buddy. If you don't
> change targets and move your location with an unspecified frequency, you
get
> less and less gain, eventually none. I confirm this, since I have more
than
> one character working on "macroable" things (Eval, Anat), and when I run
my 7
> cycle keystroke macros without moving, they gain only once if at all,
whereas
> if I move and vary the target I get good gains.

That guy I posted about with GM healing that was fighting wyverns? Said he
was having trouble gaining, less then 50 and wouldn't go up on a regular
basis.

I think it is better this way, certainly isn't any worse. I have stopped
playing TC and the other odd 3-4 shards I used to wander in favor of just
playing my regular two left coast servers. 1 hour of good stat/skill gain
per character per 24 hours is still more time then I can handle for 2
shards. I will maybe put 3 out of ten characters into play, and settle down
on just one after the skill burst is done for the first two characters. For
some reason I have been shutting down really early, like ~7PM last night.
The old play from 5 PM to 2 AM style seems to have worked its way out of me,
and I never really was much of a macroer.

The stat/skill gain is good IMHO since instead of me just bringing out
killing machines I am also putting my bowyer and smith into play much more
then normal.

Quaestor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> Really good dragon for some reason last night. It was almost like the dragon
> was being played by a seer. Everytime any PC on the screen got overmatched,
> be it newbie or bard, the dragon just took off and killed the monster w/o
> getting needing to be commanded.

We have been expecting "improved AI." It's weird how they keep referring to the
simple code they have for causing monsters to make tactical decisions as
artificial "intelligence." Anyway, some tamers have reported some interesting
improvements, such as advanced white wyrms not mass cursing near good guys. I
may have seen this too, since Thunder, my oldest dragon, is a flamestriking MF
now, but did not MC in Yew yesterday.

> They actually reported on their skill gain update page that the new patch
> would not effect failure rates. The should start adding qualifiers to it like
> "We hope the new patch does not effect failure rates because we don't intend
> it to".

It's hard to figure out whether they code by rolling dice, throwing darts, or
reading tea leaves.

> I think it is better this way, certainly isn't any worse.

I'm impressed. I just hope there doesn't turn out to be a major new exploit
hidden in here somewhere. The jerks say a magic word and we suddenly have all
zero stats, something like that. ;-\

gil

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Quaestor wrote:

> Richard Cortese wrote:
>
> > Really good dragon for some reason last night. It was almost like the dragon
> > was being played by a seer. Everytime any PC on the screen got overmatched,
> > be it newbie or bard, the dragon just took off and killed the monster w/o
> > getting needing to be commanded.
>
> We have been expecting "improved AI." It's weird how they keep referring to the
> simple code they have for causing monsters to make tactical decisions as
> artificial "intelligence." Anyway, some tamers have reported some interesting
> improvements, such as advanced white wyrms not mass cursing near good guys. I
> may have seen this too, since Thunder, my oldest dragon, is a flamestriking MF
> now, but did not MC in Yew yesterday.

A week or so ago I started noticing a change in the pathfinding of
regular monsters. If their way is blocked, after 5-10 seconds, they
will move laterally to go around the obstacle. If that doesn't work,
I've then seen them back away from their target and then move
laterally.

There's still a long way to go, but it is an improvement. Supposedly
they will start healing themselves again, and each other?

gil

Quaestor

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
OrionCA wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:11:01 +0000, Kiril Threndor
> <ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Then what is your problem? If you want people to attempt to PK you, stay
> >where you are! For F**ks sake, no one is making anyone go PvP-. If you
> >like it, just stay the same but don't force it on those that don't want
> >it.
>

> I think it's slowly dawning on him that after the PvP- lands go in,

There won't be any pvp- lands.

I am Nomad

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:07:28 +0000, Kiril Threndor <ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>In article <%jqv4.135406$A5.25...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>, The_Vipah

><oho...@cnx.net> writes
>>5 to 1? What stats are you using? I have probably 50 friends in UO and NOT
>>ONE of them has any interest in the PVP- lands. I don't hang around with
>>reds (although I would should they be interesting folks). Nor do I hang
>>around with heavy duty PVPers.....It's simply that most of them have no
>>interest in blocking monsters till kingdom come...
>>
>>You can pad stats all day long, but I have a feeling that most of the people
>>in PVP- will be new players, attracted by the "switch". Have fun my
>>friends. And you can always come back...we won't hold a grudge :)
>
>I can go the other way and say that in my Guild of 20, I will be pretty
>lonely in the PvP+ lands.
>
>It may seem that I come across as anti PK and anti PvP but nothing could
>be further than the truth. I just don't want to force my game play on
>anyone else, or have someone else's forced on me, I want to choose what
>to do. Bring on the PvP-lands, it will make UO a better place for
>everyone. And as for you thinking that only newbies will be there and
>that really everyone likes PvP but won't admit it, I guess only time
>will tell but I really think that the words humble and pie will be
>showing up a lot before too long :)

Oh come on! Isn't that what we all just LIVE for? Working to gather treasure to
have some mega-character kill us and take it?

That is what makes the game REAL fun!

I suspect that the only characters left in the PvP lands will be the cows, as
the only people who enjoy player killers are those who kill players. Thus, they
will be the only ones there, and then, well, since they will be amongst peers,
and getting their butts kicked regularly, they' ll start to hate it as much as
us and leave.

Same for thieving.

I am Nomad

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
wrote:

>In article <G3Ev4.136693$A5.25...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>, The_Vipah

><oho...@cnx.net> writes
>>Can you read? I don't want to PK. I would like people to *attempt* to PK
>>me.
>

>Then what is your problem? If you want people to attempt to PK you, stay
>where you are! For F**ks sake, no one is making anyone go PvP-. If you
>like it, just stay the same but don't force it on those that don't want
>it.

Bingo!

Richard Cortese

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00

> Richard Cortese wrote:
>
> > Really good dragon for some reason last night. It was almost like the
dragon
> > was being played by a seer. Everytime any PC on the screen got
overmatched,
> > be it newbie or bard, the dragon just took off and killed the monster
w/o
> > getting needing to be commanded.
>
> We have been expecting "improved AI." It's weird how they keep referring
to the
> simple code they have for causing monsters to make tactical decisions as
> artificial "intelligence." Anyway, some tamers have reported some
interesting
> improvements, such as advanced white wyrms not mass cursing near good
guys. I
> may have seen this too, since Thunder, my oldest dragon, is a
flamestriking MF
> now, but did not MC in Yew yesterday.
They are also 'supposed' to be juicing monster AI such that they heal and
cure. I hope they don't do it too much as my favorite way of killing Orc
mages is to stand around collecting MR until the mage MCs and all his buddy
Orcs gang bang him. I know it is quicker to just kill them, but I kind of
like it when they get killed from a MC since I have probably died 50 times
that way to my dragons.

They are also hinting ~ability to see hidden/invisible for some monsters.
Trying to think of what spell they could replace with "Invisibility to
Undead", i.e. which deserves to be killed the most.

As long as Orcs don't start shearing sheep and fighting us for the looms to
make bandages I will be happy.

I am Nomad

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 10:56:20 -0000, "Richard Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

Actually, the more real the monsters get, the better. (As long as the monsters
don't macro themselves up like the pieces of shit from the thief/PK class.)