A few boat questions.

Kiril Threndor

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
I have recently purchased a boat. I have left one key in the bank and
put the other in the hold. I just recall onto and off the boat and never
unlock the gangplanks. I use the key in the hold to occasionally let
friends onto the boat.

I have two characters in the game and I want the boat to be available to
both of them without the constant swapping of keys. I have acquired a
copy of one of the master keys. Is it possible to recall onto the boat
off the copy? Should I place the copy in the hold and give my second
char the master from the hold to put in his bank?

The serpent pillars on the map, are they portals to T2A, the same as the
moon glow ones? If so and I travel to T2A in my boat is the fishing the
same there, will I still pull up maps and will they be to treasure in
T2A or in Britannia?

If my boat is always locked and I die onboard, can people loot me? I
have bought a small boat and I stand by the mast but monsters still seem
able to attack me. If I buy a bigger boat would I be safe in the middle?

I read in the manual that boats will vanish if left for a time. I am
going away fro a week or so soon. If I park my boat near a busy place,
like Skara docks, will the people walking past refresh it or will it
only be refreshed by people going onto the boat? If I use the other
option of docking the boat, is there a time limit like when you stable a
horse?

Thanks.

Kiril.

Kiril Threndor
A swordsman, just not a very good one!

Be true, Unbeliever
Answer the call.

Jan Gustavsson

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Kiril Threndor wrote:

> I have recently purchased a boat. I have left one key in the bank and
> put the other in the hold. I just recall onto and off the boat and never
> unlock the gangplanks. I use the key in the hold to occasionally let
> friends onto the boat.

You don't need the key in the hold when letting friends on to the boat.
If you are on board, just doubble klick the plank and it will open.
After a few seconds it will close again. It might be some problem if the
boat are a bit out from land because I think if you open the plank from
the boat they will not be able to jump on to the plank by doubble
clicking it. But if you take the boat so close to land so that the plank
will touch land when opened they can walk right into the boat.
You can also on some places take the boat so close to land that the
grass partly cover the boat. Then anyone (even monsters) can walk on to
your boat without the plank.

But if you take a non so friendly person on to your boat, he/she might
steal your ke. He/she can then dock your boat and place it again. Then
it's hes/hers boat and your old key will not work any longer.

I think that you need to have the key on the boat to be able to give
order to the tiller man.
I'm not sure if you can dock the boat with a copy of the key. It could
be an idea to use a copy instead if that makes the boat undockable.

> I have two characters in the game and I want the boat to be available to
> both of them without the constant swapping of keys. I have acquired a
> copy of one of the master keys. Is it possible to recall onto the boat
> off the copy?

No, you can not recall to the boat with the copy. I suggest that you let
both characters have one original key each. And use copies of the key
outside of the bank box.

> The serpent pillars on the map, are they portals to T2A, the same as the
> moon glow ones?

Yes, but you will have to travel for an some time before you get the the
exit pillar out from T2A again.

> If so and I travel to T2A in my boat is the fishing the
> same there, will I still pull up maps and will they be to treasure in
> T2A or in Britannia?

Britannia.

> If my boat is always locked and I die onboard, can people loot me? I
> have bought a small boat and I stand by the mast but monsters still seem
> able to attack me. If I buy a bigger boat would I be safe in the middle?

On a small boat yoy will not have any secure place, except the hold, but
it's dark inside ; )
With a large dragon ship you will have a "secure" place att the square
behind the mast. When you die, you will fall on to the deck. And then I
think you will fall partly outside the "secure" square. And I think you
will be lootable.

But you may still order your tillerman to try to outrun any pirates,
even if you are dead.

> I read in the manual that boats will vanish if left for a time. I am
> going away fro a week or so soon. If I park my boat near a busy place,
> like Skara docks, will the people walking past refresh it or will it
> only be refreshed by people going onto the boat?

You will have to open the plank to refresh the boat. unlocking and
locking is not enough.

>If I use the other
> option of docking the boat, is there a time limit like when you stable a
> horse?

If you dock the boat, you get a miniatyr boat in your backpack. That can
stay as long as you want. Better to place the miniatyr in the bank.
Next time you (or someone else) place the boat, the placer will be the
new owner. And 2 new keys will be created.
When docking the boat you old original key/keys will dissapear. But if
you have given one of the original keys to some other character or have
made copies, they will not dissapear.
So don't be surprised when your other character can't recall to your
boat after you placed it again because you are using the old key.

Thanks.

> Kiril.
> --

NP

Cozy

Tolstoy

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Kiril Threndor wrote:

> I have recently purchased a boat. I have left one key in the bank and

I must ask this... Is not Kiril Threndor known also as Mount Doom? Or is
it further to the south and known as Foul's Creech?

Do you know of such lands?

Tolstoy/GM Wanderer

Eric A. Hall

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

> Is it possible to recall onto the boat off the copy?

No.

> Should I place the copy in the hold and give my second char the
> master from the hold to put in his bank?

Yes.

> The serpent pillars on the map, are they portals to T2A, the same as
> the moon glow ones?

Words of power are "doracron" to go to t2a and "sueacron" to get back.

> If so and I travel to T2A in my boat is the fishing the same there,
> will I still pull up maps and will they be to treasure in T2A or in
> Britannia?

Fishing is the same, and you'll get maps. All treasures are in old
worlds (for hunting parties with t1a and t2a).

> If my boat is always locked and I die onboard, can people loot me?

Yes.

> If I buy a bigger boat would I be safe in the middle?

You'll be safe from physical attacks, but not magic or breath attacks.
Note that you can drive your boat up under a monster and they'll be on
board all of a sudden. My fisher got waxed by a stone gargoyle and an
imp this way.

> I read in the manual that boats will vanish if left for a time.

You have to open and close the plank periodically to refresh it. Click
once on the tillerman for boat status.

> I am going away fro a week or so soon. If I park my boat near a busy
> place, like Skara docks, will the people walking past refresh it or
> will it only be refreshed by people going onto the boat?

The latter. If you're going away for extended periods, dry dock the
boat. Do this by emptying the deck and hold, and double clicking the
tiller man. You'll get a little ship "model" that can go in your bank
where it won't decay.

Eric A. Hall

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

> I think that you need to have the key on the boat to be able to give
> order to the tiller man.

No. He'll listen to anybody.

> I'm not sure if you can dock the boat with a copy of the key. It
> could be an idea to use a copy instead if that makes the boat
> undockable.

No. Any key will work.

> you will have to travel for an some time before you get the the
> exit pillar out from T2A again.

Both pillars work for enter/exit.

Kiril Threndor

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <3842A351...@xmission.com>, Tolstoy
<tol...@xmission.com> writes

I'm impressed my friend. No one has ever known where my name came from.

Tolstoy

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Kiril Threndor wrote:

> I'm impressed my friend. No one has ever known where my name came from.

Ah, then indeed the name rings true. I have often gone by the name
Samahdi Sheol. Very good set of books, the Wounded Land being my
favorite.

Tolstoy/GM Wanderer

Jan Gustavsson

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:
> > you will have to travel for an some time before you get the the
> > exit pillar out from T2A again.
>
> Both pillars work for enter/exit.

What I mean is that when you travel to T2A by the pillars. You will show
up in T2A where there are no pillars. Anyway I could not see any pillars
there when I made the travel last time. I had to go clockwise along the
sea there to come to the pillars that go back to the original world.

Am I wrong here ?

Cozy

Eric A. Hall

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

> What I mean is that when you travel to T2A by the pillars. You will
> show up in T2A where there are no pillars. Anyway I could not see
> any pillars there when I made the travel last time.

There is a pillar on both sides of the desert peninsula. When you travel
through, you will come out within a few screens of the pillar that you
went through. They don't show up on the radar view, so you have to
either know exactly where they are (sextant) or you have to use
something like UO AutoMap. Both pillars work for coming and going.

Katherine

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:08:13 -0700, Tolstoy <tol...@xmission.com>
wrote:

>Ah, then indeed the name rings true. I have often gone by the name
>Samahdi Sheol. Very good set of books, the Wounded Land being my
>favorite.

THANK you! I've been trying to remember where I saw that name before,
but it's been so long since I read the series I couldn't place it...

Katherine, Adept Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Jan Gustavsson

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Thanks. Next time I don't have to travel all the way to the other pillar
then.

=) Cozy