changes to the "all" command?

Eric A. Hall

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

While summoning water eles tonight, i did an "all release" and lo, they
all disappeared. Prior to this, I had to say it once for each ele. Any
full-time tamers notice any other difference, like all kill?

Geoffrey Hyde

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Good god! If what you said is true, it might become a new PK method. A PK
or two gate in a bunch of pet dragons and you and and anyone else around at
the time are toast.

Of course, one can always use this right back at them. :-)

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Eric A. Hall <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote in message

Quaestor

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> While summoning water eles tonight, i did an "all release" and lo, they
> all disappeared. Prior to this, I had to say it once for each ele. Any
> full-time tamers notice any other difference, like all kill?

No, most tamers have got used to the idea that not only does All kill not
work right, but can get you guardwhacked when you get to town.

I'll tame up a few bears and try it, though. <looks for some poor
unsuspecting bunny>

Quaestor

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

> Good god! If what you said is true, it might become a new PK method.

Nothing new about it. Have several critters around, set to guard critter
number one (or yourself). When victim appears, have critter number one (or
yourself) attack. When victim autodefends, the others see number one (or
yourself) being attacked and all join in. I'm only surprised we haven't
actually seen it more.

(I've seen it, because I DO it, but that doesn't count because I only hunt
jerks.)

(And what's a jerk? Heh heh.)

> A PK or two gate in a bunch of pet dragons and you and and anyone else around
> at the time are toast.

First of all, there are 3 levels of pet orders. Guard and Release are level
one, and obeyed easily even if you have little or no taming. Follow, Stay, and
the bugged Friend are level two, sometimes having to be repeated for ornery
pets. Transfer and Kill are level three, most likely to be disobeyed.

It takes a monumental effort to raise taming to the point where Kill orders are
obeyed quickly. So even All Kill now works, and if a pk could get his 7
dragons to all follow him into a gate at once, and see you before you tossed an
EV into them (in which case they do not see you as the attacker, so they fight
with it instead) and you KOP'd, and he ordered ALL KILL, you'd have a pretty
good chance that half or more would ignore the order, and just get in the way
of the others.

Dragons are easier to outrun in most circumstances than EV's, and people outrun
them all the time. True, dragons are not stopped by brambles and other low
obstructions, and seem to go around other obstructions more easily than most
critters, but still, you can outrun them. Get a little distance and KOP.

With the exception of EV which can be dumped on any square in range, critters
(including demons, by my estimation) are best used in a passive aggressive
role. Have them guard you or another pet, then attack. When the target
autodefends, the critters attack. This is good enough and avoids the various
still-unfixed bugs attached to the Kill order. People who use summoned demons
probably never see this because the demons go away rather than being taken back
into town.

> Of course, one can always use this right back at them. :-)

True, and a red pk is rather unlikely to get new dragons easily (he probably
bought his when he was blue). There is still a transfer bug, so the prescribed
method of transfer is to release the critter and let the new owner tame it
(easy to do if you have enough Taming to control it anyway, because released
critters have their difficulty set to near zero to get rid of the macroed
Taming problem). So the blue tamer releases the dragon upon payment, the red
starts to tame and immediately gets ripped to dogfood by the dragon. :-)

Also, most tamers just won't sell dragons to jerks, and in fact not to anyone.
There is something of a murmur going around that such pets should not be
transferable at all, and they won't sell them for any price. Those who will
are rather few.

So killing the dragons of jerks is very important, even at the sacrifice of one
of our own to do it. We can probably replace ours easier.

And nothing, even an EV, can kill a dragon like another dragon. I happened to
go to one of my favorite taming sites tonight for one last hour of work, taking
a dragon with me to wipe out my tames to promote fast new spawns, and as I
stepped out of the gate my dragon attacked something. There was another tamer
there with a dragon fighting an orc spawn. Well, just as mine got close, his
cast Mass Curse, and suddenly the two dragons were fighting. In about one
second they each had the other down about half. They don't do anything like
that much damage to others (several seconds to kill an earth or troll, for
instance), but to each other they sometimes act like Popeye on MegaSpinach.

Here is where those quick-and-dirty dragon handlers lose out. I (Kai Du) had
enough control to order mine to leave the fight, saving both dragons, whereas
the kind of tamer you can build up in just a month would have been unable to
get him away, and one or both would have been killed.