My tradesman almost got killed (Long)

Ian A Kelley

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
The other day I was outside of Delucia with my craftsman hunting deer and
cows for their hide so I could practice my tailoring, when a red and his
required blue healer buddy attacked me. The blue healer cast a Stone Wall
directly on top of me, so I was stuck in the wall and couldn't move. The
red's Explosion bounced off my reflect and blew up in his face, and then
he cast a Flamestrike on me and dropped me down to 51 HP. After this the
wall disappeared and I high-tailed it back into Delucia. The now-grey
healer chased me into town and tried to Corp Por me, but with the delay
in spellcasting and me on a horse with a 14ms ping, I was three screens
away before he got a chance to get it off and managed to escape death.

After hiding for a minute or so, I went to the bank rather annoyed, banked
all my stuff, tinkered myself up a boom box and proceeded to leave town
to blow myself up so I could slap my attackers with murder counts.
However, after I died, I was only able to give the red a murder count and
not the blue healer. Why was this the case? The healer turned grey
because of something he did to me--be it the wall or some other spell. (he
might have gotten a paralyze on me as it said I was frozen when I tried
to recall) Do you only have to do damage to be open to a MC?

I think the "call guards within 10 seconds or deal with it yourself"
rule is kind of a bad idea in this case...the guards completely ignored
my calls for help when the grey was chasing me in town, and the only
reason I didn't call the guards in the first 10 seconds was a) I was
attacked outside the guard zone and b) I was stuck in the middle of a
stone wall and couldn't move back into the guard zone in time. Perhaps
instate a rule that the "call in 10 seconds" only kicks in if you
actively try to defend yourself?

I also thought of an idea that might help deal with the blue healer
problem, although it may have been thought of before...if a blue heals,
resurrects, or otherwise assists a red in such a way to be crim flagged,
s/he becomes an accessory to murder and if the red kills anyone after
being healed but before dying, the victim would have the option to give
the healer a murder count as well. The same thing could apply to blue
healers that interfere in guildwars too. After all, it often works this
way in real life...Comments?

Ian
Toruneko, GM Smith, Catskills

--
Ian Kelley "Try not to become a man of success but
ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu rather to become a man of value."

Katherine

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
On 23 Jan 2000 04:06:02 GMT, ike...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Ian A
Kelley) wrote:

>I think the "call guards within 10 seconds or deal with it yourself"
>rule is kind of a bad idea in this case...the guards completely ignored
>my calls for help when the grey was chasing me in town, and the only
>reason I didn't call the guards in the first 10 seconds was a) I was
>attacked outside the guard zone and b) I was stuck in the middle of a
>stone wall and couldn't move back into the guard zone in time. Perhaps
>instate a rule that the "call in 10 seconds" only kicks in if you
>actively try to defend yourself?

Might be because of the big plotline they're running; they have to
disable the guards from time to time so they can do the monster
invasions.

Katherine, Adept Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Richard Cortese

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Ian A Kelley <ike...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> wall disappeared and I high-tailed it back into Delucia. The now-grey
> healer chased me into town and tried to Corp Por me, but with the delay
> in spellcasting and me on a horse with a 14ms ping, I was three screens
> away before he got a chance to get it off and managed to escape death.
Unless Delucia is different or part of a current invasion quest, spells in
town don't do damage: Only thing that stings is poison spell. If it was me,
I would have just headed to the bank and counted on noto killers being
around.

If the guy would have damaged you in town, you would have been able to call
guards.
I have dealt with expert jerks that do this, their retreat path always goes
through guard areas outside the town limits, i.e. the graveyard side of the
river outside Vesper is a good example. If they catch you in the guard zone
attacking them, they will run up to you while you are casting so you damage
them with wrestling and get you guard whacked.

> After hiding for a minute or so, I went to the bank rather annoyed, banked
> all my stuff, tinkered myself up a boom box and proceeded to leave town
> to blow myself up so I could slap my attackers with murder counts.

IMO: Don't do this, the reds are looking for climbing the bounty boards as
much as they are looking for loot.

Unless you are against any form of PvP, build a PvP character and 'store'
them somewhere near where you are working. It is open for debate what reds
want, but one thing for sure is they don't want to die.

Ian A Kelley

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:

: Unless Delucia is different or part of a current invasion quest, spells in

: town don't do damage: Only thing that stings is poison spell. If it was me,
: I would have just headed to the bank and counted on noto killers being
: around.

It is...the other day it got invaded by terathans. (Boy, was that a
masscre) I didn't want to take the chance of getting zapped.

: > After hiding for a minute or so, I went to the bank rather annoyed, banked

: > all my stuff, tinkered myself up a boom box and proceeded to leave town
: > to blow myself up so I could slap my attackers with murder counts.
: IMO: Don't do this, the reds are looking for climbing the bounty boards as
: much as they are looking for loot.

Which is why when I reported him I didn't put any bounty on his head. I
know the trick of reds killing themselves to get their bounty, but I
wanted to push him further into stat loss territory. Actually, my plan in
killing myself was to give the blue guy a MC, turns out I wasn't able to...

Of course, I *SAID* I put a 10k bounty on his head. Hope he tries to
collect it...heh heh :)

: Unless you are against any form of PvP, build a PvP character and 'store'

: them somewhere near where you are working. It is open for debate what reds
: want, but one thing for sure is they don't want to die.

I'm more oriented to tradesman work than fighting, so my fighter
character probably would have gotten his head handed to him as he's
pretty weak. Especially after I went to the Guilds section of the UO
homepage and found out that said blue healer was a 5xGM...