Desperately Worried About Housing

Chris Godsell

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
When you think about how housing operates in Ultima Online, I can only
describe it as sick. I have only had Ultima Online for three weeks, and I am
worried sick about house placement. I desperately want a placed house, I
dont care about furnishings, I just want a house to store stuff in. I
realise that I wont
ever be able to have a castle or a keep, but I had my sights set on a large
Tower, as I think they are excellent.

To view the housing situation in Fellucia, I wandered around the countryside
as a ghost, and what i saw was to my HORROR. All the grass areas are FULL of
houses, and I couldnt place a house even if I had the deed! There is nowhere
to place a house, and worse still in my opinion, all the houses spoil the
game as there is no empty land to relax in. I like the grassland in Trammel
as it is free from trees. When there is housing in Trammel, it will wreck
the game for many people.

The other night I met someone who has a house in Felluca who is letting me
store my stuff there, but it is in a remote location and the spawn is
HORRENDOUS. I face a 50/50 chance of dying every time i visit the house,
which is awfull.

I desperately want to place a house in Trammel, but as the Europa shard is
the shard with the most people on, it hence follows through that it is the
shard with the most people wanting to place houses. Even if I get my tower
deed before housing starts in Trammel (which is HIGHLY unlikely as I dont
have hardly any money) I still will not be able to place it.

I have thought about making a runebook full of locations where I could place
a house, and go about everywhere looking for spots, but what is the
likelihood of me being able to place a tower in Trammel had I got a deed? I
wont be able to afford a tower (unless someone gives me a few hundred
thousand! (please do)) so I will try and place a small 40K house. But what
are the chances of me being able to do this in Trammel?

Please could someone prepare a runebook for me with 16 "top spots" where not
many people are likely to try and place a house? I may be able to buy a log
cabin, and that is what I am aiming for.

I play on the Europa Shard

From Chris Godsell

Travail

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
Chris Godsell wrote

> To view the housing situation in Fellucia, I wandered around the
countryside
> as a ghost, and what i saw was to my HORROR. All the grass areas are FULL
of
> houses, and I couldnt place a house even if I had the deed! There is
nowhere
> to place a house, and worse still in my opinion, all the houses spoil the
> game as there is no empty land to relax in. I like the grassland in
Trammel
> as it is free from trees. When there is housing in Trammel, it will wreck
> the game for many people.

Two words for ya: Lost Lands. That's what they're there for. Not a house
in sight. Plenty of rolling hills and amber waves of grain and everything.
Houses can be a pain when you are running through the woods and smack into
an invisible castle. But knowing how much my new home means to me, I can't
begrudge others the opportunity to have a home as well. IMO, they've wasted
a lot of land that could have been used for housing that's off limits
becasue of guard zones, dungeon areas, etc.

--Travail
(Great Lakes)

Bomma

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
And why would there be a city worth houses in swamps?
There wouldn't be any countryside left
It'd just be an urban mess

IceLady <icelady@no_place.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:35:59 GMT, "Travail" <tra...@twilson.com> wrote:
>
> >IMO, they've wasted
> >a lot of land that could have been used for housing that's off limits
> >becasue of guard zones, dungeon areas, etc.
> >
> >--Travail
> >(Great Lakes)
> >

> How about all the empty swamp land. Swamp without even a bird
> or snake much less a monster. Cant place a house or hunt there.
> What good is it?
>
> Why not clear the graphics and allow housing? That would open
> up a lot of land for people to place that is not being used by anyone
> as it is now.
>
> Just MHO,
>
> Ice,

Justine Rogers

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:50:17 +0100, "Bomma" <lord...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>And why would there be a city worth houses in swamps?
>There wouldn't be any countryside left
>It'd just be an urban mess

I agree with Bomma, the place already looks like a council estate.

Glaeken of LS

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
Do you actually wander thru those swamps in central and south Britannia?
Enjoying the sights while you try to make your way around roots etc?

I doubt it. I sure don't. Don't know anybody else that does either. I
agree with IceLady, that is such a wasted space, could be used much more
constructively.

Glaeken of LS

Bomma wrote:

> And why would there be a city worth houses in swamps?
> There wouldn't be any countryside left
> It'd just be an urban mess

Glaeken of LS

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
Chris,

I hate to come down hard too, but I'm going to. I had UO for more than 3
Months before I was able to afford or even considered getting a house,
and then I was pretty happy to get myself a small bungalow on a bay.
Hate to say it, but at 3 weeks, you certainly shouldn't need a house,
and maybe don't even deserve one (flame on), compared to folks that have
been in game Much longer and still don't have one.

If you are worried about too much housing, then go to the New Lands, as
folks have suggested. Wide open spaces there, and lots of rough land to
wander around in.

As far as helping you find a spot, sorry, thats something you really
ought to work on yourself. Part of the rite, so to speak. Don't expect
something like a house (or the spot for it) handed to you like bone
armor at the bank.

Glaeken of LS

Chris Godsell wrote:

> When you think about how housing operates in Ultima Online, I can only
> describe it as sick. I have only had Ultima Online for three weeks, and I am
> worried sick about house placement. I desperately want a placed house, I
> dont care about furnishings, I just want a house to store stuff in. I
> realise that I wont
> ever be able to have a castle or a keep, but I had my sights set on a large
> Tower, as I think they are excellent.
>

> To view the housing situation in Fellucia, I wandered around the countryside
> as a ghost, and what i saw was to my HORROR. All the grass areas are FULL of
> houses, and I couldnt place a house even if I had the deed! There is nowhere
> to place a house, and worse still in my opinion, all the houses spoil the
> game as there is no empty land to relax in. I like the grassland in Trammel
> as it is free from trees. When there is housing in Trammel, it will wreck
> the game for many people.

jgd1

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
Chris Godsell wrote:

> When you think about how housing operates in Ultima Online, I can only
> describe it as sick. I have only had Ultima Online for three weeks, and I am
> worried sick about house placement. I desperately want a placed house, I
> dont care about furnishings, I just want a house to store stuff in. I
> realise that I wont
> ever be able to have a castle or a keep, but I had my sights set on a large
> Tower, as I think they are excellent.

I've been playing for years now I suppose. And I had a tower deed. But I'm not
living in one now :)

> To view the housing situation in Fellucia, I wandered around the countryside
> as a ghost, and what i saw was to my HORROR. All the grass areas are FULL of
> houses, and I couldnt place a house even if I had the deed! There is nowhere
> to place a house, and worse still in my opinion, all the houses spoil the
> game as there is no empty land to relax in. I like the grassland in Trammel
> as it is free from trees. When there is housing in Trammel, it will wreck
> the game for many people.

Grassy plains are high over rated compared to having your own house. There's not
a house anywhere in T2A or the dungeons so there's always that. :) Also There's
a large wooded areas around Trinsic where you won't see much housing.

> The other night I met someone who has a house in Felluca who is letting me
> store my stuff there, but it is in a remote location and the spawn is
> HORRENDOUS. I face a 50/50 chance of dying every time i visit the house,
> which is awfull.
>
> I desperately want to place a house in Trammel, but as the Europa shard is
> the shard with the most people on, it hence follows through that it is the
> shard with the most people wanting to place houses. Even if I get my tower
> deed before housing starts in Trammel (which is HIGHLY unlikely as I dont
> have hardly any money) I still will not be able to place it.

If it were me I'd buy a large vila deed and a log cabin deed. Much better chance
of having a place of your own. Of course the way they're doing it now I suppose
you can shoot for a mage tower and have a day or two to evaluate what to do if
you can't place it before the next phase. We didn't have that option on Great
Lakes.

> I have thought about making a runebook full of locations where I could place
> a house, and go about everywhere looking for spots, but what is the
> likelihood of me being able to place a tower in Trammel had I got a deed?

Very very slim.

> wont be able to afford a tower (unless someone gives me a few hundred
> thousand! (please do)) so I will try and place a small 40K house. But what
> are the chances of me being able to do this in Trammel?

Decent if you have a plan, read my post below on my Great Lakes placing
experience.

> Please could someone prepare a runebook for me with 16 "top spots" where not
> many people are likely to try and place a house? I may be able to buy a log
> cabin, and that is what I am aiming for.

Sorry can't help ya on Europa.

> I play on the Europa Shard
>
> From Chris Godsell

Good luck! Cotswold

Katherine

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 19:48:49 -0500, Glaeken of LS <jba...@swbell.net>
expounded:

>Do you actually wander thru those swamps in central and south Britannia?
>Enjoying the sights while you try to make your way around roots etc?

Erm...actually, yes, I have been known to. Not the swamps, but the
southern jungle. I love the noises they have for that area.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Darren / Kain

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Europa will be a mess when it comes to housing. The more they
delay our shard, and others I guess, the more money other new
people will accumulate.
Hell I had a deed for a large marble patio but returned it, in fear of
it vanishing in my bank box, thanks to these delays I can now afford
a damn keep (not that I'd want to).
Apply this same situation to every uo player out there, and you can
see housing is going to be a nightmare, no matter how many so
called 'mechanisms' osi add on housing day :(

Like yourself I was worried too, but now just don't really care one
bit, the way I see it, osi are just gonna telestorm half the people
with correct deeds smack bank into felluca.

The spawn is crazy, I've got 2 guildmates who have small towers
in the forest just west of Vesper beach. One day I logged into the
said friends small tower, and was greeted by 3 trolls, 2 orc lords
and 2 mad screeching harpies. 'I ban thee', I ban thee', wtf I ban thee!
OooOoOoOo

Kainz of Europa
Better Smeg than Dead!
sp...@globalnet.co.uk
sp...@ukonline.co.uk daz...@yahoo.com
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~spaz/
ICQ No: 16147227

Chris Godsell <cgod...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> When you think about how housing operates in Ultima Online, I can only
> describe it as sick. I have only had Ultima Online for three weeks, and I am
> worried sick about house placement. I desperately want a placed house, I
> dont care about furnishings, I just want a house to store stuff in. I
> realise that I wont
> ever be able to have a castle or a keep, but I had my sights set on a large
> Tower, as I think they are excellent.
>

> To view the housing situation in Fellucia, I wandered around the countryside
> as a ghost, and what i saw was to my HORROR. All the grass areas are FULL of
> houses, and I couldnt place a house even if I had the deed! There is nowhere
> to place a house, and worse still in my opinion, all the houses spoil the
> game as there is no empty land to relax in. I like the grassland in Trammel
> as it is free from trees. When there is housing in Trammel, it will wreck
> the game for many people.
>

> The other night I met someone who has a house in Felluca who is letting me
> store my stuff there, but it is in a remote location and the spawn is
> HORRENDOUS. I face a 50/50 chance of dying every time i visit the house,
> which is awfull.
>
> I desperately want to place a house in Trammel, but as the Europa shard is
> the shard with the most people on, it hence follows through that it is the
> shard with the most people wanting to place houses. Even if I get my tower
> deed before housing starts in Trammel (which is HIGHLY unlikely as I dont
> have hardly any money) I still will not be able to place it.
>

> I have thought about making a runebook full of locations where I could place
> a house, and go about everywhere looking for spots, but what is the

> likelihood of me being able to place a tower in Trammel had I got a deed? I

> wont be able to afford a tower (unless someone gives me a few hundred
> thousand! (please do)) so I will try and place a small 40K house. But what
> are the chances of me being able to do this in Trammel?
>

> Please could someone prepare a runebook for me with 16 "top spots" where not
> many people are likely to try and place a house? I may be able to buy a log
> cabin, and that is what I am aiming for.

Lamar of Europa

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Hi Chris

I suggest you buy a boat for storage - thats what I do!

--
Lamar, Master Warrior of Britain

Bomma

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Its not about wasted space
Its about variety
How dull would Sosaria be if it was just back to back housing with no
distinguishing features
And beleive it or not.... I actually walk!!
Thats right, I don't recall absolutely everywhere. My bard especially, walks
everywhere
So i would get lost amidst a sea of houses, unless I die of boredom from the
same thing screen after screen after screen before then....

And one more thing... What do most people use houses for?
Most use it for storage and hoarding.... I use it for a meeting place, and a
safe haven. As I play in Fellucca sometimes you need time away from the rest
of the world, so it ain't kicking your ass (or trying to steal it)
In trammel, there are loads of safe places that players can meet, so the
demand should be less for them.....

Glaeken of LS <jba...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Do you actually wander thru those swamps in central and south Britannia?
> Enjoying the sights while you try to make your way around roots etc?

jgd1

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Very sorry but if anyone (everyone?) was upset with my post, my ISP news
server took a dump. By the time it came back (3 days?) all the articles
were expired or lost in Concentric's new puters. But I do love to debate
if there's anything to debate :) I'm not ignoring anyone. *grin*
Cotswold

Glaeken of LS

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
I disagree - it *is* about waster space. The swamp land. Way too much of
it.

I love the forest up near Yew, and the clearings for houses.

Not wall to wall houses, but villages. My experience in the swamps
doesn't show that possibility. But the swamps are just one thing to pick
on.

OSI knows how many folks/accounts per server. They should have been
increasing house space or changed the housing system to handle *a* house
per account per server (or whatever criteria they use), to meet their
obligation to their customers. The current housing race won't meet it
either. Unfortunately.

Michael Bungey

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
In article <8krsm8$ivu$2...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, at 09:38:45 on Sun, 16
Jul 2000, Darren / Kain <sp...@globalnet.co.uk> spewed forth the
following:

>Europa will be a mess when it comes to housing. The more they
>delay our shard, and others I guess, the more money other new
>people will accumulate.
>Hell I had a deed for a large marble patio but returned it, in fear of
>it vanishing in my bank box, thanks to these delays I can now afford
>a damn keep (not that I'd want to).
>Apply this same situation to every uo player out there, and you can
>see housing is going to be a nightmare, no matter how many so
>called 'mechanisms' osi add on housing day :(
>
>Like yourself I was worried too, but now just don't really care one
>bit, the way I see it, osi are just gonna telestorm half the people
>with correct deeds smack bank into felluca.
>
>The spawn is crazy, I've got 2 guildmates who have small towers
>in the forest just west of Vesper beach. One day I logged into the
>said friends small tower, and was greeted by 3 trolls, 2 orc lords
>and 2 mad screeching harpies. 'I ban thee', I ban thee', wtf I ban thee!
>OooOoOoOo

Bah not as bad as how it was for me the other day....
Died in the forests, ran around for miles looking for a healer, got
rezzed the spawn all followed me, I got hung up on server line *DAMN
DUPERS* and died... got rezzed couldn't even get inside house - died,
repeat ad infinitum...

--
Michael Bungey

<Irrelevant quote>
"My sig is my sig, and I refuse to have anyone tell me how I can express
my individuality, in whatever way I happen to choose."
Dan AKA Shaolin 25/12/99
</Irrelevant Quote>