What is wrong with ppl today?

Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass
because i used poisoned weapons. Just because they were not prepared
for it doesnt mean im a pussy for using it. Same goes for magic reflect
items. I dont think they werer put in to help ppl fight orc mages..
they are for PvP and a legitimate way to fight.
what is wrong with a character that has anatomy, healing , magery,
poisoning, resist, swds adn tactics? please anyone?
better yet since i "cheat" maybe i should even the odds by wearing
no armor and using skinning knifes..will this do?

kil...@my-deja.com

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
In article <3801BD8A...@globalco.net>,
The PvP people and PKs are so fixed to magery that they hardly notice
anything else.
They are really shellshocked if there comes along someone who defeats
them without/with little magic. They simply do not expect it.
For me it works perfectly. Usually when a PK comes along i feel entitled
to use every trick i can think of. DP weapons are a sure bet. They work
wonderfully for me. Usually i have two Katanas on me. One i use for
normal combat an the DP one i use against PKs (i am not into PvP).
Just because they did not think about it - it is NO cheat. Just go
ahead, you are doing nothing wrong.

Fritzz on Drachenfels

Play the whole game - not just parts of it!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Katherine

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
<pha...@globalco.net> wrote:

>Just because they were not prepared
>for it doesnt mean im a pussy for using it.

They might be objecting because they were not prepared and you
obviously were, thereby putting the odds rather highly in your favor?

I dunno, if people can call me a wuss because I prefer to recall away
from combat with a newbie healer...

Katherine, Journeyman Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Quaestor

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake wrote:

> Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.

Why are you crying about people crying?

JL

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
<pha...@globalco.net> wrote:

>Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.

>Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
>fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass

>because i used poisoned weapons. Just because they were not prepared

>for it doesnt mean im a pussy for using it.

I fully agree. I carry a couple of GM katanas with deadly, just in
case some asshole PK shows up...

------//------

"I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm fresh out of bubblegum"

e-mail: raf...@esoterica.pt

Check out http://www.geocities.com/area51/cavern/5250/

Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
<shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God
--

How is it a cheap trick? if your going to say anyone can use a poisoned
weapon they dont need skill , then i have this to say. if you are an

Chris

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
> <pha...@globalco.net> wrote:
>

> <shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God
> --

If you're not smart enough to carry around a few Greater Cures and trapped
pouches, then you are the newbie :-)

Kordell of Chesapeake, Adventurer

Yuri Gorlinski

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
ori...@earthlink.net says...

>>Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
>
><shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God

Heh. What's ironic about this is that you're one of the people who's
always whining about how terribly overpowered magery is for PvP/PKilling
purposes... Poisoned blades actually help tilt the balance back towards
warriors a little bit.

Is there anything which you wouldn't like to see nerfed?

Lord Ssu-ma Shih-ka'i, OGD

Tinarandil

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake <pha...@globalco.net> wrote in message

> Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
> Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
> fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass
> because i used poisoned weapons. Just because they were not prepared
> for it doesnt mean im a pussy for using it. Same goes for magic reflect
> items. I dont think they werer put in to help ppl fight orc mages..
> they are for PvP and a legitimate way to fight.
> what is wrong with a character that has anatomy, healing , magery,
> poisoning, resist, swds adn tactics? please anyone?
> better yet since i "cheat" maybe i should even the odds by wearing
> no armor and using skinning knifes..will this do?

Depends. If you PK, who cares. Now, in duels or in organized fights, it is
mostly considered dishonorable or bad to use poisoned weapons. Very
dishonorable. It's treacherous, and deceitful. So, in conclusion, you
either tell them ahead of time you're using a poisoned weapon. (And expect
them to bring a shitload of cures, plus a poisoned weapon of their own) or
face the fact that you ARE a pussy.

Richard Cortese

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Chris <cm...@netnitco.net> wrote in message

> OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
> > <pha...@globalco.net> wrote:
> >

> > <shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God
> > --
>
> If you're not smart enough to carry around a few Greater Cures and trapped
> pouches, then you are the newbie :-)
>
> Kordell of Chesapeake, Adventurer
You know, I was just thinking about this.

I was doing some escorts so the only spells I needed at the ready were
recall and gate travel, but...

OK, since I will be frequenting banks I have to deal with thieves. So for
town use I have to have poison up there. Thieves are hard to catch, so
better put paralyze up there too.

Then I start thinking I will have to take a few to dungeons, so I had better
have MR, MA, EB, GH, Cure, Night Sight, Explostion, Flame Strike.

But then, I like big spells so I bring along 2-3 EV scrolls too. Can't risk
running out of reagents in Nujelm, so a couple of recall scrolls in the mix.

About now I figure I will be low on mana from escorting if I get attacked in
a dungeon or attack a theif, so I better pull that magic quarter staff out
of the bank and GM katana out of my secure container.

But sheesh! If I am low on mana and resorting to melee, I had better go get
a bunch of cures and heals.

Then it was time to logout and go to bed.

Dominik R.

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Sorry for asking,
but I惴 new here. Can someone explain these PK, DP and so on for me. I don愒
get the meaning.
Thanks a lot

--
Dom
http://members.aol.com/machtfluss/

OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
> <pha...@globalco.net> wrote:
>

> >Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
>

> <shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God
> --

> Overheard at Starbucks one day:
> "I leave at 3PM! Only a lunatic would get
> on the road during rush hour in LA!"

Bob Roland

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:01:24 GMT, "Dominik R." <Gi...@bluewin.de>
wrote:

>Sorry for asking,
>but I´m new here. Can someone explain these PK, DP and so on for me. I don´t

>get the meaning.
>Thanks a lot

Sure thing.

PK stands for "Player Killer" or one who attacks another player in a
non consensual fashion.

DP stands for "Deadlky Poison"

There's a FAQ for this group. You can get it by going to my site and
clicking on the link for the FAQ.

The Great Bob
Visit the Siege Perilous Comic strip!
greatbob.uoboard.net

Thales (Ifurita)

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:19:03 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
<pha...@globalco.net> wrote:

><shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God
>--
>

>How is it a cheap trick? if your going to say anyone can use a poisoned
>weapon they dont need skill , then i have this to say. if you are an
>expert swordsman IRL and someone hands you a sword coaated in poison,
>are you gonna say.."hmm i dont know how to use this thing?".

I thought OSI was planning on putting in code that made the chance of
poisoning equate with the Poisoning skill, so that less folks were
capable of effectively using Poison.

Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
advantages.

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
"Thales (Ifurita)" wrote:

> Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
> necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
> advantages.

Mages already have disadvantages. One example: they can't move while
casting. Can't chase while casting, can't run while casting. Compare
this to a warrior, that can drink/throw potions, use bandages,
arm/disarm, re-poison weapons (if skill available), even set off trapped
pouches, all just by hitting keys, and thus is always mobile.

-Smedley

Dominik R.

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Tinarandil

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

<jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:38038E89...@po.cwru.edu...
And gets stuck for ten seconds, hit with spells, stuck again, hit with more
spells....
> -Smedley

Xigam

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:24:56 -0700, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>>Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
>

><shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God

haha.. no it doesn't... I bet you could take your newbie PK w/DP
weapon and come after my tailor Frak and Frak would kick your ass..

Frak always has an emergency orange potion, plus he's 50's in magic so
there is a good chance that would also cure it.

- Xigam

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:02:49 -0000, "Richard Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>Then it was time to logout and go to bed.

Hehe.. I thought after all that spell icon dragging you were going to
say something like this..

"I saw a bag at the bank and I picked it up, then Ultima promptly
crashed and I restarted and put all my icons BACK out.. "

hehe

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:45:33 GMT, fgrubb@_nospam_mindspring.com
(Thales (Ifurita)) wrote:

Last I heard the Dev team considered that the poisoning skill was the
art of applying poison to a weapon.. not the art of using the weapon
with knowledge of anatomy to hit a vein or anything.

- Xigam

>I thought OSI was planning on putting in code that made the chance of
>poisoning equate with the Poisoning skill, so that less folks were
>capable of effectively using Poison.

Xigam

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
<pha...@globalco.net> wrote:

>Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.

>Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
>fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass

People who such often have a hard time understanding/accepting that
THEY are the ones who suck.. so usually they try and blame their
failure on some other occurance.. If it wasn't poison, it would have
been the lag..

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:42:41 -0400, "Tinarandil" <af...@gaads.com>
wrote:

Well duels have rules.. often while in the process of being attacked
by PKs I find I don't have the time to agree on rules of engagement
with my attacker..

- Xigam

Lars Friedrich

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
<jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
> > necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
> > advantages.
> Mages already have disadvantages. One example: they can't move while
> casting. Can't chase while casting, can't run while casting. Compare
> this to a warrior, that can drink/throw potions, use bandages,
> arm/disarm, re-poison weapons (if skill available), even set off trapped
> pouches, all just by hitting keys, and thus is always mobile.
Not that this mobilitiy would help in any way with 'Last Target'...

Tinarandil

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Xigam <xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:42:41 -0400, "Tinarandil" <af...@gaads.com>
> wrote:
>
> Well duels have rules.. often while in the process of being attacked
> by PKs I find I don't have the time to agree on rules of engagement
> with my attacker..
>
> - Xigam
PKs are different. Poison his sorry ass!

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Last target has a range of 10 tiles. This mobility helps a lot more
than you think, but only if you have the connection to use it....

-Smedley

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Tinarandil wrote:

> <jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:38038E89...@po.cwru.edu...
> > "Thales (Ifurita)" wrote:
> > >
> > > Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
> > > necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
> > > advantages.
> >
> > Mages already have disadvantages. One example: they can't move while
> > casting. Can't chase while casting, can't run while casting. Compare
> > this to a warrior, that can drink/throw potions, use bandages,
> > arm/disarm, re-poison weapons (if skill available), even set off trapped
> > pouches, all just by hitting keys, and thus is always mobile.
> And gets stuck for ten seconds, hit with spells, stuck again, hit with more
> spells....

Yeah, it always comes down to the players' connection to the server.
Two Aussie guildmates of mine quit the game over that, I really feel for
them....

Unless you mean paralyze, but that never lasts for more than a moment,
however long it takes the player to hit a couple keys, what with trapped
pouches set to hotkeys (in my case, ctrl-1 through ctrl-6).

-Smedley

Drake

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
The one's yelling "WUSS" the loudest will be the first ones back next time
with deadly poisoned rigs, this I guarantee you.

| Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
| Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
| fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass

Drake

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
heh, you really didn't mean that line did you? man I can't wait to read the
replies to this since my goddamn newsserver is up maybe 15 minutes a
day....DP a cheap trick?
ROFLMAO

OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

| On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake

| <pha...@globalco.net> wrote:
|
| >Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
|

| <shrug> DP is a cheap trick - it turns a newbie PK into a PK God

Otara

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:34:14 GMT, xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com
(Xigam) wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:35:54 -0400, Donovan McCrea -Chesapeake
><pha...@globalco.net> wrote:
>
>>Why do people cry so much when they are poisoned on PvP combat.
>>Poisoning is a legitimate skill and is not a "cheat" or "puss way to
>>fight". Im so tired of ppl i fight dying and telling me i a lame ass
>
>People who such often have a hard time understanding/accepting that
>THEY are the ones who suck.. so usually they try and blame their
>failure on some other occurance.. If it wasn't poison, it would have
>been the lag..

Umm - sometimes its both.....

Ever tried to successfully recall out, _and_ cure yourself from DP in
time, with 400ms pings? It aint pretty.

Otara

Yuri Gorlinski

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
sp...@spammity.com.au says...

>Ever tried to successfully recall out, _and_ cure yourself from DP in
>time, with 400ms pings? It aint pretty.

If they scale everything in the game down to suit the people with
400ms pings, the rest of us -- the bulk of the playerbase -- will be
completely indestructible.

Shih-ka'i, OGD

Otara

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On 13 Oct 1999 03:47:24 GMT, yg...@mojo.calyx.net (Yuri Gorlinski)
wrote:

I actually have to my knowledge pretty much _never_ asked for change
solely on this issue. I've asked for an Oz shard, and PvP switches,
the first for obvious reasons, and the second because I dont like PvP
in any case.

Mostly I've just pointed it out whenever people say 'you're an idiot
if you get Pked when X happens', to point out that what is easy for
them is not necessarily easy for everyone..

Otara

Xigam

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
On 12 Oct 1999 18:08:04 -0500, "Lars Friedrich"
<lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote:

><jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>> > Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
>> > necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
>> > advantages.
>> Mages already have disadvantages. One example: they can't move while
>> casting. Can't chase while casting, can't run while casting. Compare
>> this to a warrior, that can drink/throw potions, use bandages,
>> arm/disarm, re-poison weapons (if skill available), even set off trapped
>> pouches, all just by hitting keys, and thus is always mobile.

>Not that this mobilitiy would help in any way with 'Last Target'...

It will help if you are any good.. Mages are frozen while casting..
magery also has a distance limitation.

- Xigam

Xigam

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:53:28 +1000, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
wrote:

>>>Ever tried to successfully recall out, _and_ cure yourself from DP in
>>>time, with 400ms pings? It aint pretty.
>>
>> If they scale everything in the game down to suit the people with
>>400ms pings, the rest of us -- the bulk of the playerbase -- will be
>>completely indestructible.

I normally deal with 250-300 or 350 ms.. usually 250..

>I actually have to my knowledge pretty much _never_ asked for change
>solely on this issue. I've asked for an Oz shard, and PvP switches,
>the first for obvious reasons, and the second because I dont like PvP
>in any case.

I do agree you Oz guys should have a shard.. I don't like PvP switch
talk though.. ;-)

- Xigam

Yuri Gorlinski

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com says...

>I normally deal with 250-300 or 350 ms.. usually 250..

I get pretty much the same out of my 28.8 dialup connection. Provided
you aren't suffering from significant packet loss, the game is quite
playable under those conditions.

Shih-ka'i, OGD

Otara

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Err - yeah,

Arirang is a very different experience for me at 280 - I actually have
to worry about stamina for a start. Major problem is that Arirang
from Oz is not the greatest connection - loooong pauses every now and
then.

Once ping edges up to 400+, PvP takes on very different aspects - lots
of fast movements seem to lag the client in nothing flat...

Basicilly I'm OK at 350, and very happy at <300. But it would be nice
to see it just a teensy bit lower. Even more galling considering how
good our local connections are.

Otara

On 14 Oct 1999 22:18:24 GMT, yg...@mojo.calyx.net (Yuri Gorlinski)
wrote:

>xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com says...

Thales (Ifurita)

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:39:53 -0400, jx...@po.cwru.edu wrote:

>"Thales (Ifurita)" wrote:
>>
>> Another thing for the "Never gonna happen" file, along side
>> necromancy, Shields blocking EBolt and Mages not having all the
>> advantages.
>
>Mages already have disadvantages. One example: they can't move while
>casting. Can't chase while casting, can't run while casting. Compare
>this to a warrior, that can drink/throw potions, use bandages,
>arm/disarm, re-poison weapons (if skill available), even set off trapped
>pouches, all just by hitting keys, and thus is always mobile.
>

>-Smedley

Warriors are front line soldiers.

Mages are artillery/air craft carriers.

The versatility of 100 points in magery is so much greater than that
of 100 points in, say, fencing that it is ludicrous.

Mages are NOT all powerful compared to warriors, but they have many
more advantages. Recall for mobility. Gate for strategic strikes.
Summoning for support. Dispel for counter-attack. Nightsight.
Energy Field. Invisibility. Not to mention Explosion! Compared to
the ability to drink potions (1 per 10 seconds), Heal (Start you
combat by casting Poison on the guy, THEN mana dump...if he is relying
on healing, you could screw him.), use bandages (see previous) and
arm/disarm (only needed to drink potions/re-equip spell reflect items)
the advantages of magery are pretty obvious.

Playing UO without at lease enough magery to recall is frequently an
excercise in frustration. That is why nearly everyone is a mage of
some level or another.

Thales (Ifurita)

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:39:43 GMT, xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com
(Xigam) wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:45:33 GMT, fgrubb@_nospam_mindspring.com
>(Thales (Ifurita)) wrote:
>
>Last I heard the Dev team considered that the poisoning skill was the
>art of applying poison to a weapon.. not the art of using the weapon
>with knowledge of anatomy to hit a vein or anything.

It was over a year ago that I heard it, and it was never
'official'...just one of those things that Raph said he was
considering.

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
"Thales (Ifurita)" wrote:

> Warriors are front line soldiers.
>
> Mages are artillery/air craft carriers.
>
> The versatility of 100 points in magery is so much greater than that
> of 100 points in, say, fencing that it is ludicrous.
>
> Mages are NOT all powerful compared to warriors, but they have many
> more advantages.

Depends where you play, and with/against whom.

> Recall for mobility.

Indeed a useful spell.... Teleport as well, perhaps the two most useful
mage spells.

> Gate for strategic strikes.

Gating into a "hot" area is a bad idea. On the "hot" side, 6 or so
pk-types, a mixed group of warriors and mages, get to see a hostile gate
for warning. Surround gate, so that each person through can't get out
of the way, thus blocking the gate for the next (of course, those people
that attempt to move through the gate simultaneously do make it through
together, but rarely more than 2). Mage-type dispels the gate on the
"hot" side to prevent retreats. Those 6 pk-types get to kill each
person through the gate one by one, interrupting attempts at
teleporting/recalling away, easily taking on as many opponents without
taking a single casualty.

You want a strategic strike? Give everybody recall runes marked in a
spread pattern on one screen. Everybody recalls simultaneously. No
gate showing up to warn, nobody blocks each other, and everybody gets
there at the same time.

> Summoning for support.

*laughs* This one always amuses me. I do a bit of sparring with the
guy I share my house with on Sonoma. Last time I tried to use a daemon
was against this guy. I admit to being a bit slow on the uptake, was
trying to get a paralyze up to give the daemon a chance at catching up
to him. What he did was move as necessary to stay on me, opposite the
daemon. Sure, he took a few hits, but in exchange, he gets the daemon
to help trap me in, restricting where I could run. And then the daemon
decided to cast a mass curse....

Let me just say, wrestling a daemon is a bad idea. Especially with no
armor. Stupid Daemon. Well, stupid, dead, Smedley :)

Sure, the daemon has some spellcasting ability. But not enough magery
to make the spells hard to resist, no eval int to do damage, and no
meditation. Sure, the daemon also hits rather hard, but not at all
fast, and while you only need to stay a few steps ahead, none of that
"teleporting" either.

Or you could pull up an EV. Or a blade spirit. At which point your
intended target pushes through you, and that EV or blade spirit locks
onto you instead, as the one with the highest intellect or tactics in
range.

> Dispel for counter-attack.

Applies only against other mages, and only if those mages would use
summoned entities.

> Nightsight.

Nightsight potions are better, in that they're cheaper, faster, and
don't require you to stop moving.

> Energy Field.

Really only useful in restricted areas. Like on a bridge. Otherwise, a
waste of 40 mana.

> Invisibility.

*shrugs* Tracking. Purple potion. Not so useful.

> Not to mention Explosion!

Explosion doesn't kill. It's usually the spell/weapon combination
following the explosion that kills. And if you're a warrior, unless you
don't know what you're doing, or are poorly skilled/equipped, or have a
significantly slower connection, that mage shouldn't get a followup
spell.

Compared to
> the ability to drink potions (1 per 10 seconds), Heal (Start you
> combat by casting Poison on the guy, THEN mana dump...if he is relying
> on healing, you could screw him.), use bandages (see previous) and
> arm/disarm (only needed to drink potions/re-equip spell reflect items)
> the advantages of magery are pretty obvious.

One heal potion per 10 seconds, which does not apply to any other
potion. Explosion potions come to mind.... Seriously, I've fought
warrior-types that didn't even need those heal potions to match me.

Last time I tried poison against a warrior, well, apparently he was
keeping count on his bandage. Waited a half dozen seconds, drinks a
cure potion, bandage kicks in to heal a moment later. Speaking of
waiting, I see warriors doing the same with my spells. After a
paralyze, waiting to make sure I've got my explosion off and just
starting on my next spell, then popping the trapped pouch and charging
me, interrupting my followup spell(s). Just waiting for me to waste 20
mana on a spell that I won't be able to take advantage of.

Now where are these oh so obvious advantages of magery?

> Playing UO without at lease enough magery to recall is frequently an
> excercise in frustration. That is why nearly everyone is a mage of
> some level or another.

Yeah, well, that's only because of one spell. Recall. Take away
recall, i.e. Siege Perilous, and magery's not so common, except among
those who still believe that magery's so powerful. Or in a few cases,
those that take the cooperative approach and learn magery so as to be
able to provide transport for a guild.

-Smedley

Tmon

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Which is one of the biggest flaws of the game as far as I am concerned.

Thales (Ifurita) wrote in message <380e333d....@news.intelenet.net>...

>On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:39:53 -0400, jx...@po.cwru.edu wrote:

SNIP

Yuri Gorlinski

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
jx...@po.cwru.edu says...

>Yeah, well, that's only because of one spell. Recall. Take away
>recall, i.e. Siege Perilous, and magery's not so common, except among
>those who still believe that magery's so powerful. Or in a few cases,
>those that take the cooperative approach and learn magery so as to be
>able to provide transport for a guild.

Lack of Recall isn't the only factor here, the cost of reagants also
has a huge influence on it. There are only a couple of monsters that
mages can hunt on SP which are truly cost effective, otherwise you have
to rely on other skills to support your reagant burning. I spend most
of my time on SP bashing liches with a q-staff so that I can afford to
get the reagants I need for training and PKilling. A rather cumbersome
system for anyone with only a passing interest in monster-bashing, but
we do what we must...

Shih-ka'i, OGD

Thales (Ifurita)

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:24:58 -0400, jx...@po.cwru.edu wrote:

>Yeah, well, that's only because of one spell. Recall. Take away
>recall, i.e. Siege Perilous, and magery's not so common, except among
>those who still believe that magery's so powerful. Or in a few cases,
>those that take the cooperative approach and learn magery so as to be
>able to provide transport for a guild.
>
>-Smedley

I won't bother to do a point by point analysis of your post.
Everything you say is true, so there would be little point. My point
is that Magery is both powerful (not all powerful, though) and
versatile. And having options is everything as far as i am concerned.