All About Houses

Dundee

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Placing a house.

House deeds can be stolen. House deeds can be looted from your
corpse. Take appropriate precautions.

If your character already own a house, then he cannot place another
house.

You need a clear (no rocks or shrubs even), flat area of land the size
of your house, plus 1 clear tile (one "step" is a tile) on each side.
So an 8x8 house requires a flat 9x9 patch of land.

Additionally, there can be no "dynamic object" within five tiles of
the front or back of the house. A "dynamic object" is, for example,
another house. Or a dog, player, wandering healer, orc mage, etc.

Double-click the house deed and you get a targeting cursor and a
"ghost image" of the house. The ghost image of the house is nowhere
near where the house will appear. Use the ghost image to see where
you need to click - then click right in the middle of where you want
the house’s steps to be.

Assuming you have indeed found some open land, not been robbed or
killed, and managed to get all your friends to stand back so that you
could place it, the house will appear. A key will appear in your
bankbox as well as in your backpack.

The house door is unlocked. Use the key on the door to lock it. The
*only* thing you need a key for is to lock or unlock the door. You
never need to use it for anything else. If you are going to have a
public house, then you don’t need a housekey at all (because you can’t
lock the doors anyway).

You are now the "Owner" of the house.

The Benefits of Ownership

1. All of your other characters (unless they own houses) will
automatically be made Friends of this house. See below for what that
means.

2. You can add (and remove) other player’s characters to the house’s
Friends List. Again, see below for what being a friend of the house
means.

3. You can declare the house public or you can make it private. A
public house has a front door that is unlocked and unlockable, and the
house is eligible for vendor placement. Conversely, you cannot make a
house with vendors into a private house, you have to get rid of the
vendors first.

4. If the house if public, you can add Vendors to the house.

5. You can lockdown items: You do this by double-clicking any key (it
doesn’t have to be a house key) and then selecting the item. You will
get the message "Locked down!" and then receive another message
informing you how many more items you can lock down. You cannot use a
keyring, you have to use a key.

You cannot lock down anything that is "stackable". For example, a
yellow potion could be locked down, because you can’t combine one
yellow potion with another yellow potion to create "2 yellow potions".
Yellow potions are not stackable. Gold, on the other hand, is
stackable. You can combine 1 gold with another 1 gold to make a
single "2 gold" icon. So you cannot lockdown gold.

Locking something down doesn’t prevent people from using it. If you
locked down a yellow potion, other people (assuming they get in the
house) can still drink it.

6. You can access secure containers. The first container you lock
down will be a secure container. Anyone can add items to a secure
container, but only Owners and Friends can remove items from secure
containers. The larger the house you own, the more secure containers
you can have.

After you have locked-down as many secure containers as your house
allows, all other containers will only be locked-down, they won’t be
secure. For example, if you own a 2-story house, then the first five
containers you lock down will be [secure]. The sixth container that
you lockdown will only be locked-down. No one will be able to remove
it, but anyone can access it.

This can be a little confusing. Some chests, boxes and crates are
lockable. They have their own key. Using a lockable-box’s key on it
will not make it Locked-Down or Secure, it will just lock/unlock the
box. Using any other key on it will make it Locked-Down. If you
haven’t yet hit the limit for secure containers, that would also make
it secure.

So it’s possible to lockdown a box, make it secure, and then lock it
with the boxes own key. In order to access that box, a person would
have to be the owner/friend of the house (because it is secure) *and*
they would have to have a key to the box (or a lockpick and the
lockpicking skill), because the box itself is locked.

Note, there is also a limit on the number of items that can be
locked-down. You will receive a message each time you lock-down an
item telling you how many items are locked-down in the house, and how
many more you are allowed to lockdown. You will receive a similar
message regarding Secure containers.

Just use a key on an item again to remove its locked-down and/or
secure status.

7. If you have locked-down a rune, you can rename it.

8. You are able to refresh the house by using the front door.

9. If your house is private, than anyone entering the house who is not
on your house’s Friends List will appear GRAY to you. This allows you
to defend your house without taking a murdercount.

10. You can say "I ban thee" or "Remove Thyself" to either eject
and/or ban someone from your house. You may also ban them by
accessing the options on the house sign. Of course, you can also
remove bans or clear the entire list of banned people.

11. You can change the house’s name.

12. You can Transfer Ownership of the house. This will clear the
Friends and Bans lists and make a new key appear in the pack and
bankbox of the person you select as the new owner.

13. You can demolish the house - turning it back into a deed.

14. You can change the locks. This will cause a new key to appear in
your pack and in the bank box, and old keys will no longer work.

15. You can change the house sign to a different type of sign.

16. You can logout in the house automatically. You can login to the
house and not be booted-out to the door.

Now, FRIENDS, have a much shorter list of options. Friends include
all of your other characters (as long as they don’t own houses) as
well as any other player you have added to the Friends list.

The benefits of friendship are:

1. If the house if public, you can add Vendors to the house.

2. You can access secure containers.

3. You can rename locked-down runes.

4. You are able to refresh the house by using the front door.

5. If your house is private, than anyone entering the house who is not
on the house’s Friends List will appear GRAY to you. This allows you
to defend the house without taking a murdercount.

6. You can say "I ban thee" or "Remove Thyself" to either eject
and/or ban someone from the house. You may also ban them by accessing
the options on the house sign. And you can remove bans or clear the
ban-list as well.

7. You can logout in the house automatically. You can login to the
house and not be booted-out to the door.

Finally, a Person who is neither the Owner nor a Friend of the house
can do this:

1. You can access anything that is locked-down, but you cannot access
anything that is secure.

2. You cannot "instantly" logout in the house, unless you use a
bedroll and campfire. The next time you login you will booted to the
porch, whether you have a key to the house or not.

3. You can recall off of runes that are locked-down, but you cannot
rename them.

4. You can take anything that is not locked down, and remove anything
from containers that are not secure.

This assumes you can get inside in the first place, of course. As
with Friends and Owners, you need a key in order to lock/unlock the
front door. You can "rush in" when the owner opens the door, but
likely he’ll just ban you. Or you could kill the owner and get his
key, rush to his house and grab everything that isn’t "nailed down"...

...At least until he shows up and ejects you from the house.

--
Dundee of Lake Superior - SkeptAck AT antisocial DOT com
The Town of Skara Brae: http://members.xoom.com/skara/

Steven Fisher

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Dundee wrote in message
<4A7ECA19A063EEA1.C50DC8C1...@library-proxy.airnews.ne
t>...
<snip>

>9. If your house is private, than anyone entering the house who is not
>on your house’s Friends List will appear GRAY to you. This allows you
>to defend your house without taking a murdercount.

I'm still not clear on this one. If I defend my house and end up dead, can I
charge the looter with murder?

--
Steven Fisher
Ooo. Colors!

MrChips

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
In article <4A7ECA19A063EEA1.C50DC8C1...@library-proxy.airnews.net>, Dun...@LakeSuperior.Shard (Dundee) wrote:
<snipped other useful info>

>Double-click the house deed and you get a targeting cursor and a
>"ghost image" of the house. The ghost image of the house is nowhere
>near where the house will appear. Use the ghost image to see where
>you need to click - then click right in the middle of where you want
>the house’s steps to be.

Ahhhh. Finally, someone clears this up. I guess using the notion of the
house placing where the ghost image appears is a bit too intuitive for OSI.

Thanks for the info.

MrChips
Sonoma

Mc Newast @ NAPA

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
>5. You can lockdown items: You do this by double-clicking any key (it
>doesn’t have to be a house key) and then selecting the item. You will
>get the message "Locked down!" and then receive another message
>informing you how many more items you can lock down. You cannot use a
>keyring, you have to use a key.

Oops... GOTCHA!

sorry for the last message.... I'll learned I have to read it over before
I post...

Mc Newast @ NAPA

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

>The house door is unlocked. Use the key on the door to lock it. The
>*only* thing you need a key for is to lock or unlock the door. You
>never need to use it for anything else. If you are going to have a
>public house, then you don’t need a housekey at all (because you can’t
>lock the doors anyway).

Khmm... Dundee!

What is your trick for lockdowns without the house key??

Mc Newast @ NAPA

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

>This assumes you can get inside in the first place, of course. As
>with Friends and Owners, you need a key in order to lock/unlock the
>front door. You can "rush in" when the owner opens the door, but
>likely he’ll just ban you. Or you could kill the owner and get his
>key, rush to his house and grab everything that isn’t "nailed down"...
>
>...At least until he shows up and ejects you from the house.

And a good news for owners (probably to friend of the house too) you can
BAN or REMOVE players not being friend of the house while you are ghost! At
least I could do it :))

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:50:04 GMT, "Steven Fisher" <steve...@home.com>
wrote:

|I'm still not clear on this one. If I defend my house and end up dead, can I
|charge the looter with murder?

Unless home intruders (IE, non-friends) have not just criminal flags but
agressor flags, the answer is no unless the intruder attacks you first.

Same as the thief problem.

Dennis F. Heffernan UO: Venture (Catskills) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned." -- T. S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Steven Fisher

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote in message <368aaff8.28752337@news>...

>On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:50:04 GMT, "Steven Fisher" <steve...@home.com>
>wrote:
>
>|I'm still not clear on this one. If I defend my house and end up dead, can
>|charge the looter with murder?
>
> Unless home intruders (IE, non-friends) have not just criminal flags but
>agressor flags, the answer is no unless the intruder attacks you first.
>
> Same as the thief problem.

That's what I thought. *sigh*

--
Steven Fisher
Now glad he didn't attack the looters.

Angel

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
You can also logout instantaly on the door step. So if you have someone try
to kill you before you go into your house just get on the door step and
logout.

--
"Every Turkey dies, not every turkey really lives." -Cheif, South Park

>Placing a house.

>16. You can logout in the house automatically. You can login to the
>house and not be booted-out to the door.

://dundee.uong.com

JubJub McRae

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Don't forget, houses are great places to macro off your murder counts
overnight when you go red. Not as good as banks it would seem, but
nonetheless...

Dundee

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:58:42 -0800, "Mc Newast @ NAPA"
<woo...@writeme.com> wrote:

> Khmm... Dundee!
>
> What is your trick for lockdowns without the house key??

You have to be the owner of the house. Then use *any* key to lockdown
items.

Dundee

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:13:27 -0800, "Mc Newast @ NAPA"
<woo...@writeme.com> wrote:

> And a good news for owners (probably to friend of the house too) you can
>BAN or REMOVE players not being friend of the house while you are ghost! At
>least I could do it :))

'Til they hide, then you're SOL.

And to make things interesting, you can hide in a house about 99% of
the time even with really LOW hiding skill.

I think the houses need an EJECT ALL function that will kick everyone
out that isn't a friend/owner.

Dundee

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

I prefer to add a lot of spamming to my "ghost away the red"-macro and
then do it standing on LB's throne.

JubJub McRae

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 06:35:20 GMT, Dun...@LakeSuperior.com (Dundee)
wrote:

I'd love a ban all but friends :) Of course that would ruin all the
fun of getting murdered and having my home looted, or worse yet, make
it more difficult for the cheaters to use their house breakin
techniques.

JubJub McRae

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 06:36:15 GMT, Dun...@LakeSuperior.com (Dundee)
wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:19:59 GMT, mrjubju...@hotmail.com (JubJub

But what good is the spam if no one can hear you? Everyone knows
that when you are spamming away with "I AM MACROING FOR A WHILE SO I
CAN DO MORE MURDERS" you want to be smack dab in the middle of the
largest crowd you can find. (btw, that is a real macro I've seen
running from red to blue overnight (even during GM hours) not in
Britain, but the north bank in Trinsic).

JubJub McRae

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:26:28 GMT, "Steven Fisher"
<steve...@home.com> wrote:

>Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote in message <368aaff8.28752337@news>...
>>On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:50:04 GMT, "Steven Fisher" <steve...@home.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>|I'm still not clear on this one. If I defend my house and end up dead, can
>>|charge the looter with murder?
>>
>> Unless home intruders (IE, non-friends) have not just criminal flags but
>>agressor flags, the answer is no unless the intruder attacks you first.
>>
>> Same as the thief problem.
>

>That's what I thought. *sigh*

Don't you understand though? That lets you steal from other people,
and either get a chance for free murder or just a pile of stuff out of
it. And what do you give in return? Well, the excitement one feels
from being stolen from and having no choice but to defend oneself thus
granting the thief the right to murder you and take all your stuff, or
to stand idly by or run away. Man - this is a great game! And to
think.. they never even mentioned that it would be THIS much FUN on
the box!

Dundee

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 06:29:11 GMT, ori...@earthlink.net (OrionCA)
wrote:

>You forgot to mention the trick with the Devil Bunnies. If you leave
>an animal in your house and someone can use Provocation on it, it may
>destroy some or all of your possessions in the process of trying to
>attack the creature/person it was Provoked against. This is the

I tested this with a panther and it didn't destroy any of the
locked-down furniture.