what's wrong with fishing?

san becool

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Hi all,
Since the new patch i can't raise any% of my fisher (93%)
I have tried all possible solution (i think) in town...in middle of the
sea....cross server border..... in t2a....etc...etc...i can fish 1 hour 2
hours or more nothing change no gain :(I don't use macro...no 125 items no
400 stones ...i have paged a counselor and this one told me i have no
problem (mean caps skills or stuck character)
Really i have no clues, is there anybody in the same situation?
If u have ANY tips don't hesistate to give them :)
Regards,

--
réponse à: san.b...@advalvas.be
answer to : san.b...@advalvas.be

Jim Banks

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Hiya,

I've had similar problem last couple weeks....seems like I fish for hours, and
no change to skill level. Finally saw it go up 0.1 . Seems to me to be
screwed up, fyi I'm about same level 93.2 . Been over a week since I got a map
too.

Tiffany, Masterfisherwoman, LS

*And if that tillerman calls me *sir* one more time, I'll kill him and pilot
the dam boat myself !*

Ingot Head

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
A lot of people are reporting this. I've fished for 2 hours with no gain
myself. (93.3) Currently Origin says the problem doesn't exist.

Ingot Head
Atlantic

Eric A. Hall

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99

I'm stuck in the 89s myself, although it has gone up a little bit.

One thing I noticed is that I gained .1 fishing almost immediately after
I took a break to kill a water ellie that wouldn't leave. I think the
gains are more dependant on "mixing up the skills" than they were
before, even though OSI insists this isn't the case. Maybe the same
effect would be had from practicing spirit speak, eval int, anatomy or
some other skill periodically?

UOTazmania

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
they messed up fishing

goodbye sos bottles

sunday

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Alot of people have started turning to fishing to replace tailoring I think.
Making skill gain hard.
Sunday

Casmaran LFE

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
I have the same problem except when I fish my skill DROPED.. I lost .1
fishing and not doing anything else....

Wes

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Just another person that agrees fishing has broken...

I was 98.3 for a week with no gain before deciding to give it up for parry.
What a waste, I must have macro'd that for a month to get it up to that
level.

.../Baja

Richard Cortese

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Are you still pulling up maps?

Reason I ask is I have been checking vendors on several shards and found a
grand total of 3 maps for sale. I think the prices were 2k and 4k for the
level ones, and a level 2 that was found on a monster for ~3k.
Wes <wes...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

Pam

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
I'm pulling up very few maps. It seems to go in cycles for me. I'll
pull up 3 maps for every one MIB then the old switcheroo. I sell
level one maps on my vendor (a deal at 750 each) and have had a very
short supply the past two weeks. I simply put two on there at a time
to drag it out a bit. It's funny how it works sometimes. I can fish
for 3 hours some days and pull up 3+ maps AND MIB's then other times I
get nothing but shoes and those dreadful magical fish (which I have
yet to find a good use for other than a 3 second light show when I'm
bored fishing).

Pam
Pacific

Richard Cortese

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Pam <p...@door.net> wrote in message news:37d28d80...@news.door.net...

> I'm pulling up very few maps. It seems to go in cycles for me. I'll
> pull up 3 maps for every one MIB then the old switcheroo. I sell
> level one maps on my vendor (a deal at 750 each) and have had a very
> short supply the past two weeks. I simply put two on there at a time
An EverQuest story.

The powers that be decided there was some duping going on, so what they did
was eliminate one particular item that spawned on monsters: Rubicite Armor.

Sure enough, even though they stopped the spawn, more Rubicite kept showing
up in the game and eventually they were able to track the guild that was
duping down.

IMO: Treasure maps are the best way to come by magical items in the game. I
have better luck digging up a level 1 map then I do killing daemons and
dragons.

I still flip flop between OSI being that smart or just blowing it, but I
would kind of like to believe they are stopping spawns for short periods of
time, then checking to see if the number of items is going up.

I am about ready to crack. Whenever we have disconnection problems like now,
I like to do something other then expose my pixels to a dragon. Level 1
treasure maps would be perfect, but at 40 fishing skill is not going to cut
it. I am being kind of weak, almost ready to say the "M" word so I can get
my fishing skill up.

Wes

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
>I am about ready to crack. Whenever we have disconnection problems like now,
>I like to do something other then expose my pixels to a dragon. Level 1
>treasure maps would be perfect, but at 40 fishing skill is not going to cut
>it. I am being kind of weak, almost ready to say the "M" word so I can get
>my fishing skill up.

It is impossible to make GM fisher without macroing, so go ahead. Just
remember since the patch it is impossible to get GM fisher anyways.

.../Baja

Richard Cortese

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Wes <wes...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
Don't want SOS bottles, I would be more then happy to get a level 1 map or
two which you start getting ~90 skill level I think.

Ah heck. Went to LS to see how much money my chars still had in the bank.
Checked out Ocllo too, nobody buying hides. I think I will come up with a
personal quest to see how many hides I can buy in one evening. Anything
sounds better then another death due to disconnection.

gil

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Richard Cortese wrote:

> Anything sounds better then another death due to disconnection.

I've had a ton of lost conns too lately. After a LS I used UOTrace to
poll LS 1000 times - 0% loss, times from 53-128ms averaging 58ms (not
bad eh?). As I exited UOTrace I noticed I was in a lag bubble... I cam
e out of it without losing conn, but...

Would UOTrace cause a lag bubble (I have a pretty decent sysytem with a
dsl connection) by itself, or was it the server?

rend
gil'lomion LS

pric...@my-deja.com

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
In the case of fishing, I have noticed no problem with catching stuff
since the patch. I pulled up 15 MIBs this weekend and 5 lvl 1's. That
has always been the case for me and seems not at all different since the
patch.
Dunno what's up with you
but g'luck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Uwe Fischer

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
I made not exactly the same experience. I pulled out 8 MIB愀 and 4 lvl 1愀.
This has been the case every time, but: I have lost 10 points of STR and 12
points of DEX to INT while training anatomy. I fished for 6 hours and got
the 10 points in STR back, zero gain in DEX. There has benn changed
something with skill/stat-gain.

Regards
Grizwood, Temple Knight (MTB), Drachenfels

pric...@my-deja.com schrieb in Nachricht <7r27vk$s34$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

Ingot Head

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

Eric A. Hall <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> One thing I noticed is that I gained .1 fishing almost immediately after
> I took a break to kill a water ellie that wouldn't leave. I think the
> gains are more dependant on "mixing up the skills" than they were
> before, even though OSI insists this isn't the case. Maybe the same
> effect would be had from practicing spirit speak, eval int, anatomy or
> some other skill periodically?

I've suspected this. The complaints seem to cover ALL skills, but most
prominently Fishing.

My guess is that they put in much more intelligent anti-macro code that all
but stops gain from repetitive skill use. There are problems with this
though.

For fighting, you will most likely spend time doing several things. The
average dungeon run has people casting spells, fighting, etc. Even a simple
fight involves the skills of anatomy, tactics, and the weapon skill of
choice.

Fishing and Mining though, are usually used solely and repetitively for long
periods. Any repetition monitor that slows advancement would GREATLY affect
these skills. If you think about it, the more repetitive the skill is, the
more complaints we've had about advancement in it since the last patch.

The part of this that is ridiculous is that it ENCOURAGES macro use. If I'm
standing on my boat, and must use several skills to gain in fishing, then it
will become VERY difficult and artificial for me to randomly try to hide,
fish, arms lore, etc so I can gain a little from my fishing. The only way
to conveniently do this is to set up a macro that will perform other tasks
on a regular basis so that I don't forget to.

Some skills are just naturally repetitive.

Ingot Head
Atlantic

Richard Cortese

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
IceLady <Ice...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:23:36 -0000, "Richard Cortese"
> <rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:
> > Anything
> >sounds better then another death due to disconnection.
> >
> I agree with you on this one.........
I would say believe it or not, but I know you will believe it.<sigh>

The leather spawn is munged too. I reported problems with shop keepers in
UOL beta, but it is a take your pick kind of thing: Either they want it to
be this way or they didn't read the bug reports or ...

What happens when you buy out a shop keepers inventory, particularily on
items far down on the list, they don't respawn in a normal fashion.

It is bad for things like reagents in Serpent's Hold, only one mage NPC shop
keeper. You buy out the original 10 of each, then the next spawn the list
looks like

19 pearl
19 bloodmoss
19 ginseng
19 garlic
19 mandrake
19 nightshade
1 sulfurous ash
1 spider silk

If you buy them out again, you stand a chance of getting 2 ash an silk after
the next spawn.

So I go on my "Quest for hides". Marked a few runes to Yew, Nujelm, Ocllo,
and had one to the bank in Minoc next door to the tanner anyway.

Sure enough, the leather spawn follows the same exact pattern. Since leather
is the last thing on the list, it pretty consistantly went in the shitter:
After several hours of buying I was getting too many "You buy one hide for 3
gold" to keep it interesting. Not that it ever was interesting to begin
with.

Lag and disconnections were really bad. I managed to keep my bank balance
about even after the evening(after buying a boat) by doing a few escorts.
Only way I could accumulate leather was by buying cut leather at 7 gold each
since it seemed to respawn a bit better.

I did get the spawn of cut leather up to 46 leather per vendor and had about
6 vendors at that level before I called it a night. Took about 3.5 hours
from start to finish including buying the boat, netted ~1,300 cut leather
when I quit. If I could have tolerated it another 10 minutes for the next
spawn, I could have bought another ~300 hides, but I was gawd awful tired by
then.

Still, 1,300 hides is about equivalent to 170 hinds. Since I had the spawn
up to ~300 every 20-30 minutes, that would be equivalent to killing 38 hinds
per spawn or almost 2 per minute and growing.

Seems like it would be a good way to build a tailor anyway. Too bad I don't
tailor anymore or play LS.<grin>

It has given me new insights into the Japanese players since I distinctly
recall them standing on piles of 3-4 hundred hides each while they were
tailoring. I make that as a minimum of 40 spawns or 13 to 20 hours of
straight buying out the vendors minimum. I don't know if they did it solo or
in teams, but 20 hours straight of tailoring in a shop has to be some kind
of record and there was more then one doing it.

It was also back in the 'old days' when FBA only took 4 hides and sold for
~50 gold.

Assuming they could tailor that fast, 400 hides => 100 pieces of armor
=>5,000 gold per spawn =>10-15k per hour minimum =>20 hours ~300k a day.
This was also back when towers sold for 250k IIRC.

I guess no one wonders why I complain about my scribe not making big bucks
relative to tailors.

sunday

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

Ingot Head wrote:

> I've suspected this. The complaints seem to cover ALL skills, but most
> prominently Fishing.
>
> My guess is that they put in much more intelligent anti-macro code that all
> but stops gain from repetitive skill use. There are problems with this
> though.
>
> For fighting, you will most likely spend time doing several things. The
> average dungeon run has people casting spells, fighting, etc. Even a simple
> fight involves the skills of anatomy, tactics, and the weapon skill of
> choice.
>
> Fishing and Mining though, are usually used solely and repetitively for long
> periods. Any repetition monitor that slows advancement would GREATLY affect
> these skills. If you think about it, the more repetitive the skill is, the
> more complaints we've had about advancement in it since the last patch.
>
> The part of this that is ridiculous is that it ENCOURAGES macro use. If I'm
> standing on my boat, and must use several skills to gain in fishing, then it
> will become VERY difficult and artificial for me to randomly try to hide,
> fish, arms lore, etc so I can gain a little from my fishing. The only way
> to conveniently do this is to set up a macro that will perform other tasks
> on a regular basis so that I don't forget to.
>
> Some skills are just naturally repetitive.
>
> Ingot Head
> Atlantic

If they did it they only did it to fishing and mining. I have had decent skill
gain on smithing, just pounding away at ingots for hours on end. And decent
gain in alchemey where I have been buying reagents with another charater and
droping them off by the metric tonne at my house for my alchemist/tailor to use.

Sunday