Bard/Animal Tamer vs. Dragons

Douglas S. Hillman

Jan 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/24/98

I've heard some Tamers whining now that they have little to no chance
of subjegating the most powerful creatures in the game. Couldn't a decent
Bard/Tamer just pacify the creature and then tame it? Having never been
either profession I don't know exactly how they work, but it sounds pretty
straightforward to me.

Is this what we're going to see in the next week? All the tamers just
adding Bard skills to their knowledge base? And just as many tame Dragons
& Drakes as before?

Doug Hillman Keeper of the UOFAQ
Not affiliated with OSI
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~dsh/uo/
Ducan the Merchant on Great Lakes

Urisk

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

(sunday@*nospam*cybrwks.com) sunday enlightened us with:
> I do not think that anyone should be able to tame dragons or drakes.
> These creatures are supposed to be powerful and inteligent not just some
> dumb creature like a scorpion. In fact I think they should be
> considered smarter than orcs, ratmen and lizardmen. You never see any of
> these tamed, and noone is complaining because they can not.

I agree, but only if OSI implements an animal/monster which can make
being a GM tamer worth it. Right now, anything short of a drake, is
virtually useless, unless you're a newbie...

--
~^v^~ ::: Urisk ::: ~^v^~
~^v^~< MailTo:jab...@vgernet.net >~^v^~

Narlethotep

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Dragons and Drakes SHOULD be nearly impossible to tame. Come on Lion tamers
don't have the highest insurance costs in the world for nothing. Can you
imagine what a fire breathing dragon would do to this average *grin*.
Taming is a challenge. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I were a
tamer, I would invest in some boots of spell reflection, a teleport scroll,
and some spare clothes .....wouldn't want to walk around with that in my
pants all night :-} !!!!!!

Douglas S. Hillman <d...@interaccess.com> wrote in article
<6acapj$l30$2...@nntp3.interaccess.com>...

Urisk

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

(fd...@nospam.swbell.net) Narlethotep enlightened us with:

> Dragons and Drakes SHOULD be nearly impossible to tame.

Summoning a demon to protect you, or just impress your friends
should be nearly impossible, too. Yet it's easier than taming (think
of it a befriending) a Dragon...

Paul Mathis

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Got more information on "tame" dragons. I was able to tame one
yesterday (that was the easy part), then I fed the dragon, had him
attack a couple of monsters to get him off the idea that his master
looks like a tasty morsel and finally got him to calm down and not
attack anyone who was with me on the screen.

However, anytime anyone walked onto the screen, the dragon would
automatically attack them. This wasn't a major concern since the dragon
was still heavily wounded and therefore the fireball didnt' do much
damage, and I was able to keep it from chasing them down. But what
happens when the dragon is fully healed. If he keeps doing this, then
even if I'm able to tame it, it'll still be useless, although I
certainly could walk around with it in the dungeon to protect me from
all the other drakes and dragons.

I fed it about 4 meats. I would use animal lore on it, but after the
last patch I suddenly don't have that skill anymore, and I'm not
terribly interested in retraining in it to sacrifice a skill I desire
more.

I would have experimented more, but that's when the mob of about 8 pks
came along and the dragon fearlessly attacked all of them. Thinking
about it now, I should have casted as many greater heals on the dragon
as I could so it could keep killing the PK's, but of course, I was a bit
outnumbered at the time and decided runnign was probably a better idea.

-Restil

Simon F. Lacey

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Urisk (jab...@vgernet.net) wrote:
: (fd...@nospam.swbell.net) Narlethotep enlightened us with:

: > Dragons and Drakes SHOULD be nearly impossible to tame.

: Summoning a demon to protect you, or just impress your friends
: should be nearly impossible, too. Yet it's easier than taming (think
: of it a befriending) a Dragon...

I'd agree that summoning daemons should be even harder than it is,
requiring higher magery. Heck, I can summon a daemon to order with magery
of 86 or so. However: summoned daemons appear to be weaker than their
normal cousins. They are also weaker than drakes.
I used a daemon to attack a drake -the drake won handily.
Also - once you tame a drake you get it permanently (in theory)
Summoneds last for 5 mins or so.

All in all as a mage but not an animal tamer I like it the way it is!
I would just like to see fewer people with the ability to summon, I'd
favour making 8th harder. Long term I'd like a 9th circle which require
95+ magery, and a redistribution of spells. Say move resurr. to 9th,
make daemons tougher than elementals and move that spell to 9th.

Lithoril

Master warrior, Master sword, Adept mage, Adept archer

Chesapeake Shard

Urisk

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

(sla...@acpub.duke.edu) Simon F. Lacey enlightened us with:

> All in all as a mage but not an animal tamer I like it the way it is!

I was joking. I meant to imply that there is a lot in the game that
should be "nearly impossible" yet we see it being done by every 3rd
player, every day...

Douglas S. Hillman

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

While we can continue rehashing the should they/should they not be
tameable thread about Dragons until the Mongbats come home, no one's yet
answered my original question. :) Is it feasible for a bard/tamer to just
calm them first and then tame them?

Travis Prebble

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

Douglas S. Hillman wrote in message <6anpq0$iol$2...@nntp3.interaccess.com>...

> While we can continue rehashing the should they/should they not be
>tameable thread about Dragons until the Mongbats come home, no one's yet
>answered my original question. :) Is it feasible for a bard/tamer to just
>calm them first and then tame them?

The creature's state of "calm", via Peacemaking or Enticement, has no effect
upon the ability to tame it. The only difference it would make, possibly,
is that it would slow them down long enough to safely attempt the taming.

-- Trav
Samuel the Bard, Pacific shard

Douglas S. Hillman

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Travis Prebble (+tpre...@efn.org) wrote:
: Douglas S. Hillman wrote in message <6anpq0$iol$2...@nntp3.interaccess.com>...
:

That's what I mean. Everyone's talking about how tough it is to tame
them now that they attack on sight. Figured it would be easy enough for a
bard/tamer or a bard & tamer team to just keep it pacified until it's
tamed.

Travis Prebble

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

Douglas S. Hillman wrote in message <6aqdl8$20i$1...@nntp3.interaccess.com>...

> That's what I mean. Everyone's talking about how tough it is to tame
>them now that they attack on sight. Figured it would be easy enough for a
>bard/tamer or a bard & tamer team to just keep it pacified until it's
>tamed.

Well, if any Tamers out there want to give this a go on Pacific, let me
know. My 99.4 Peacemaking bard would love to have something to do.

-- Trav