Another Disguise kit gripe

1 view

Andrew Blackwell

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
problems with disguise kits.
1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
Ernest is a dead giveaway right?

2) Hair Color. If the name doesn't give you away, the stark white hair
will. Why not give us some basic colors to pick from

Until such changes get put it, you will have scenarios such as this.

Robin Sage steals a platemail chest of invulnerability from Johnny PK,
who immediately tries to kill him. Robin Sage manages to give him the
slip and uses his disguise kit. Johnny PK comes rounding the corner and
comes face to face with the scoundrel Martin who has a stark white mohawk
and beard. HMMM. This is a brain buster.
Johnny PK: Did you see some damn thief named Robin Sage come tearing
through here?
Martin: No why?
Johnny PK: Nice try lamer..Corp Por...Corp Por...Vas Ort Flam.
You are dead.

Also since kits are only for the use of thieves, can we newbiefy them, so
at least we will have that after we die.

Robin Sage, Grandmaster Rogue, Baja

Lord Sargas Minot

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Here's the problem with chosing your own name: You could make life difficult
for anyone else... You could see what I look like then just type my name in
and cause hell for me. As for the white hair, carry some dye, that's what
it's for. I guess they assume that theives will make enough to support
themselves.

"Wishes he had white hair..."
-Lord Sargas

Steve Pritoula

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

Raph Koster

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
and...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew Blackwell) wrote:

>I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
>problems with disguise kits.
>1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
>wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
>Ernest is a dead giveaway right?

Because of what people might type in. :P

>2) Hair Color. If the name doesn't give you away, the stark white hair
>will. Why not give us some basic colors to pick from

Because hair dye does that already.

-Raph Koster
Lead Designer, Ultima Online

Lord Sargas Minot

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Your point is void. I'm saying they could impersonate any given number of
people on the fly. You're talking about impersonating 1 permanently.
This is a worthless way to spend a slot...

Steve Pritoula wrote:

"Think, think, think..."
-Lord Sargas

John D. James

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Raph Koster wrote:

> and...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew Blackwell) wrote:
>
> >I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
> >problems with disguise kits.
> >1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
> >wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
> >Ernest is a dead giveaway right?
>
> Because of what people might type in. :P

But, they also might type in the same thing when they make the character
in the first place. Put the same filter into the disguise kit's rename
feature
that the character creation code uses.

Oh, and improve the filter. Every time a GM changes a character's name,
add the name to the filter. Chances are pretty good that all of the names
that
idiots like to use would be in the filter after "a while".

> >2) Hair Color. If the name doesn't give you away, the stark white hair
> >will. Why not give us some basic colors to pick from
>
> Because hair dye does that already.

But hair dye kits are permanent. (or did that not quite get implemented?)

--
Reality is a figment of my
imagination.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:19:47 GMT, rko...@origin.ea.com (Raph Koster) wrote:

|and...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew Blackwell) wrote:
|
|>I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
|>problems with disguise kits.
|>1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
|>wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
|>Ernest is a dead giveaway right?
|
|Because of what people might type in. :P

Why is this any different from what they might type in at startup?

You're not filtering names, so why is this an issue all of a sudden?

Dennis F. Heffernan UO: Venture (Catskills) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"There's no easy way to be free."
-- Pete Townshend, "Slip Kid"

JubJub McRae

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:17:13 GMT, dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis
Heffernan) wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:19:47 GMT, rko...@origin.ea.com (Raph Koster) wrote:
>
>|and...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew Blackwell) wrote:
>|
>|>I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
>|>problems with disguise kits.
>|>1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
>|>wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
>|>Ernest is a dead giveaway right?
>|
>|Because of what people might type in. :P
>
> Why is this any different from what they might type in at startup?

Prohibiting the brats of the game from changing their names virtually
at will does to some degree cut down on some avenues for abusing other
characters. What if they were to be able to change their appearance
to match any of your characters, and change their name to match yours
to boot.. not necessarily a good thing - this game is already an
exercise in paranoia... Granted they could still do this with one of
their 5 slots, but that's far less than being able to do it at will
with any character, as often as they want. I wish they would throw a
wrench into things at start up, and have a full fledged name filter,
and better yet, an actual policy statement (enforced) about
appropriate names.

> You're not filtering names, so why is this an issue all of a sudden?

baby steps... Granted, it's not wiping every single character named
AzzMasta, or in a guild with a name like FuQ, or with the word Pimp in
their guild title and banning the player's account (and sending a
nasty letter home to their parents), but any little step helps. There
are a lot of thieves with names like i want U stuff, gimme, look in
your bag and the like.

Raph Koster

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
"John D. James" <jo...@premier1.net> wrote:

>Raph Koster wrote:

>> and...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew Blackwell) wrote:
>>
>> >I will reiterate my first point as well as propose another concerning the
>> >problems with disguise kits.
>> >1) You get an NPC name. If the disguise kit can change your name, why
>> >wont it let you enter a name of your choosing? I mean the Scoundrel
>> >Ernest is a dead giveaway right?
>>
>> Because of what people might type in. :P

>But, they also might type in the same thing when they make the character

>in the first place. Put the same filter into the disguise kit's rename
>feature
>that the character creation code uses.

Easier said than done, unfortunately. Also, the current disguise kit
would allow setting of name as a bit of a harassing technique.

>Oh, and improve the filter. Every time a GM changes a character's name,
>add the name to the filter. Chances are pretty good that all of the names
>that
>idiots like to use would be in the filter after "a while".

Believe me, been wanting to do this. :P

>> >2) Hair Color. If the name doesn't give you away, the stark white hair
>> >will. Why not give us some basic colors to pick from
>>
>> Because hair dye does that already.

>But hair dye kits are permanent. (or did that not quite get implemented?)

You're only dyeing the wig. When the disguise is removed, your
original hair, color and all, should come back.

Raph Koster

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

There, he said it better than I did. :)

> I wish they would throw a
>wrench into things at start up, and have a full fledged name filter,
>and better yet, an actual policy statement (enforced) about
>appropriate names.

This is a personal high priority for me.

Steve Pritoula

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

Lord Sargas Minot

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
That's still a whole week before they can pick someone else to torment.
And they'd have a hell of a time impersonating me with a newbie
character... They'd have to build str up just to wear my plate. And
where is a prick like that gonna find colored armor. But if they can use
their main or well developed char to impersonate, it gives them a better
chance of screwing with my life. And I don't like it...

"Sad..."
-Lord Sargas