Tamer bytes the dust again

1 view

Richard Cortese

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
My tamers getting killed is really getting old fast.

Clown shows up while I am trying to tame a drake, I immediately think "Wish
I had my PvP guy so I could kill this idiot for naming violation"

So he starts flame striking the drake I am working on. He has a very good
connection and I am memory leak lagging. He kills it, but I blow it off and
decide to weaken a fresh one.

I cast a blade spirit on it and before I can turn around, he dives on it and
flags me gray.

Did some running around, some hiding, but eventually catches up to me and
wis quas followed by several explosion/para combinations. I thought I got
off a KOP, but I was so lagged the targetting cursor had already gone and I
was waiting to see what life was like Jehlom when the game changed its mind
and updated me with my carcass.

But healer a screen away, so I rez and run back to run my mouth off a bit.
The guy was even looting bandages, so I run my mouth a bit.

I get "If you would have taken your death like I man, I would have gated you
back to the mainland" <it was on Fire Isle> and a few other choice tidbits.

I guess he didn't realize I had a house there with a backup supply of
reagents. I did one of the fastest reboots I have ever done to clear up the
memory leak, then recalled to Skara stables. I gate me and my dragon back to
Fire Isle and sure enough the rat is healthy but cornered with drakes
blocking the path of his retreat. One "all kill" later and I have all of my
stuff back and a murder count.

The NPK gets rezed and runs back to loot his corpse. It was decision time,
do I kill him outright or delayed reaction? Right! Explosion! I am a rez
killer and it felt good. It was funny to see his naked ass running off
screen then hear the explosion and groan.

I took everything, I hope he likes his swim back to the mainland.

Ted Kaiser

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
hehehe....that gave me a chuckle. Only one thing worse than a PK is an
NPK....

GuildBoss

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
Hehe. I got PK'ed last night for the first time in my 3 day
career--felt so damned helpless.

BTW, you say you did an "all kill"...did you tame the drakes that
quickly or did the dragon do the dirty work alone?

>I guess he didn't realize I had a house there with a backup supply of
>reagents. I did one of the fastest reboots I have ever done to clear up the
>memory leak, then recalled to Skara stables. I gate me and my dragon back to
>Fire Isle and sure enough the rat is healthy but cornered with drakes
>blocking the path of his retreat. One "all kill" later and I have all of my
>stuff back and a murder count.

To Reply via email, replace *nospam* with *guildboss*
Paul H. Soares, Jr.
GuildBoss - Guild and Clan Management Utility for Win 9x/NT
http://www.guildboss.com

Brian Keener

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
> >I guess he didn't realize I had a house there with a backup supply of
> >reagents. I did one of the fastest reboots I have ever done to clear up
the
> >memory leak, then recalled to Skara stables. I gate me and my dragon back

A little off-topic, but if you reboot Win95/98/98se while holding down the
SHIFT key it's a lot faster. A lot of people seem to not know that.

Greywind

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
hahaha... lololol.... I like stories like that!

Richard Cortese wrote:

> My tamers getting killed is really getting old fast.
>
> Clown shows up while I am trying to tame a drake, I immediately think "Wish
> I had my PvP guy so I could kill this idiot for naming violation"
>
> So he starts flame striking the drake I am working on. He has a very good
> connection and I am memory leak lagging. He kills it, but I blow it off and
> decide to weaken a fresh one.
>
> I cast a blade spirit on it and before I can turn around, he dives on it and
> flags me gray.
>
> Did some running around, some hiding, but eventually catches up to me and
> wis quas followed by several explosion/para combinations. I thought I got
> off a KOP, but I was so lagged the targetting cursor had already gone and I
> was waiting to see what life was like Jehlom when the game changed its mind
> and updated me with my carcass.
>
> But healer a screen away, so I rez and run back to run my mouth off a bit.
> The guy was even looting bandages, so I run my mouth a bit.
>
> I get "If you would have taken your death like I man, I would have gated you
> back to the mainland" <it was on Fire Isle> and a few other choice tidbits.
>

> I guess he didn't realize I had a house there with a backup supply of
> reagents. I did one of the fastest reboots I have ever done to clear up the
> memory leak, then recalled to Skara stables. I gate me and my dragon back to

> Fire Isle and sure enough the rat is healthy but cornered with drakes
> blocking the path of his retreat. One "all kill" later and I have all of my
> stuff back and a murder count.

Quentin

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
Thats called restarting windows you don't do a full system reboot. I guess
it should work just as well to clear out all the junk UO leaves in memory.
But technically its not a reboot.

Quentin

Brian Keener <sk...@webmail.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > >I guess he didn't realize I had a house there with a backup supply of
> > >reagents. I did one of the fastest reboots I have ever done to clear up
> the
> > >memory leak, then recalled to Skara stables. I gate me and my dragon
back

Dopester

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
ROFL, well done

Katherine

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:59:35 -0500, "Quentin"
<tfr...@NoSpam.mindspring.com> wrote:

>Thats called restarting windows you don't do a full system reboot. I guess
>it should work just as well to clear out all the junk UO leaves in memory.
>But technically its not a reboot.

Works for a hard reboot as well as a restart. Holding down the shift
key after the Windows splash screen comes up will cause it to skip all
the startup-menu crap and go straight to the desktop.

Katherine, Adept Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Richard Cortese

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
GuildBoss <pa...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hehe. I got PK'ed last night for the first time in my 3 day
> career--felt so damned helpless.
>
> BTW, you say you did an "all kill"...did you tame the drakes that
> quickly or did the dragon do the dirty work alone?
I never bring a dragon with me when I am taming because they have a tendancy
to kill everything on the screen, they will go through 10 or 12 drakes. This
was a dragon I had for a while and was storing in the Skara Brae stables.

Good fortune really smiled on me, the guy had been continuing to flame
strike drakes to the point where he didn't have enough mana to recall or
heal. He did make a good run, got from the entrance of the Deamon Temple to
the roof before the dragon caught him, but it thumped him HARD! The guy had
a great connection, I would have never caught him but the dragon ran him
down.

He seems to be a Britian regular, his recall rune lead to the Brit bank. I
hung out there to give him the horse laugh for quite a while, but he never
showed. Could have something to do with me having his rune, but I will keep
checking in from time to time to see if he ever makes it.

Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people! Gutless wonders.

Dundee

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:43:39 -0000, "Richard Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

> Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people! Gutless wonders.

What, you never heard of "strategy".

hehe

--
http://dundee.uong.com/

Yuri Gorlinski

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:

> The guy had
> a great connection, I would have never caught him but the dragon ran him
> down.

So much for the tamer claims about
dragons being so slow and unwieldy... Let
me tell 'ya, their attack and follow speeds
take a pretty heavy toll on those of us who
don't have great connections.

Actually managed to outrun one of the
suckers on SP the other night, so I guess I
shouldn't bitch about it too much. Thought
I was a goner when its first fireball put me
at 60 health, but it got caught up on some
terrain and I was able to make good my
escape. Still, one lag bubble at the wrong
moment and I would have been left
OooOoing my way back to OGD HQ...

What's truly galling is that I think my
horse was rooting for the dragon. I really,
really hate horses... Is there a more vile
and treacherous creature in all of
Britannia? I don't believe there is...

> Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people! Gutless wonders.

Hold up, the guy who attacked you
definitely sounds like an asshole, but
tradespeople really don't have any business
in dangerous monster spawn areas.

Seriously, I've run a number of different
tradesman characters and none of them
have ever been the least bit tempted to pop
off to Fire Isle to tame drakes... I mean
really -- Fire Isle?!? What a horrible place
for a tradesperson! And what use would
simple tradefolk have for a tamed drake,
anyway? And what sort of tradesman uses
dangerous magical spells like Blade Spirit?

Are you quite certain that the character in
question is, in fact, a tradesperson? I ask
only because, to me, he really sounds a lot
more like a monster cheeser... Not that
there's anything wrong with that...

yg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lars Friedrich

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people!
I doubt that I would call a master mage/master tamer a trades person.

Lars Friedrich

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> The NPK gets rezed and runs back to loot his corpse. It was decision time,
> do I kill him outright or delayed reaction? Right! Explosion! I am a rez
> killer and it felt good.
Thank you for creating another soon-to-be res killer pk.

Jay Moore

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
> What's truly galling is that I think my
> horse was rooting for the dragon. I really,
> really hate horses... Is there a more vile
> and treacherous creature in all of
> Britannia? I don't believe there is...

The Dev Team gets my vote.

--Jay
( Tsarkon of Baja )

Richard Cortese

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Lars Friedrich <lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote in message
After that jerk took all my reagents my runes, I was not about to give him a
break. He is still KOS and rez kill fodder to me.

Since when do you have pity for a blade spirit diver/NPK? IMO he is no worse
off then even. He got a free kill/NPK and handed my character a murder count
for the cost of some runes and average equipment.

I never wanted to fight the asshole, I just wanted to tame a drake. I ended
up wasting 20 minutes on the jerk and never got to tame a drake.

If if was up to me, he would have his account banned for exploiting the noto
system and I would have the murder count taken off my character, but then
that would make sense and be fair.

Richard Cortese

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00

> "Richard Cortese" wrote:
> > Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people!
> I doubt that I would call a master mage/master tamer a trades person.
Only expert mage really, enough to get into Wind and gate was the target,
still carry gate scrolls just in case.

Yuri had a problem with location too, but I consider anyone with trade
skills a trade person. I consider taming and animal lore as trade skills as
much as something like tinkering or mining. As opposed to someone with EI,
Magery, Meditation, Tactics, Fencing, etcetera.

For instance, I think IceLady has a ~GM bowyer/GM archer, that would be a
trade person since they can do something that is, well a trade.

Do you get it now?

Jeff Gentry

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
: For instance, I think IceLady has a ~GM bowyer/GM archer, that would be a

: trade person since they can do something that is, well a trade.

GM Smith
GM Mage
GM Eval Int
GM Meditation
GM Tactics
GM Swords
GM Resist

Trade person? Is it still unfair to pick a fight with this character?

Then you look at tamers, which can actually use theiur "trade skill"
to fight!

--
Jeff Gentry jes...@rpi.edu gen...@rpi.edu
"You're one of those condescending UNIX users! ...."

Richard Cortese

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Jeff Gentry <gen...@rpi.edu> wrote in message

> Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
> : For instance, I think IceLady has a ~GM bowyer/GM archer, that would be
> : trade person since they can do something that is, well a trade.
>
> GM Smith
> GM Mage
> GM Eval Int
> GM Meditation
> GM Tactics
> GM Swords
> GM Resist
>
> Trade person? Is it still unfair to pick a fight with this character?
Make that miner/smith or lumberjack/bowyer or tamer/animal lore like it
actually happens in game and it sure would be.

Understand that my 2 year old PvP guy still has ~110 points of alchemy and
tailoring that I never bothered to get rid of and you have not heard me
bitch about a single death out of him due to an unfair fight. I can live
with ~600 points into fighting skills.

It is that last 100 points of skill that were added to what you need to be a
tamer that killed the skill for me, that and anatomy, EI, and Meditation
that made everyone else more efficent killers relative to my tamer.

I have already lost what tracking and tailoring I had on the character and I
am in the process of trading hiding for resist. I don't like the change.
Right now the character is only 50 resist with master/GM archery, wrestling,
tactics, maybe 60-80<?> maces, so I am really taking a double hit from mages
with their EI/Meditation and 20% due to the addition of anatomy to damage
bonus. Also took/taking hits on str getting animal lore up.

I will lose some wrestling, but lets face it, who would trade GM anatomy for
GM animal lore if they knew a fight was coming up? I never had any anatomy
on the character, so I started taking the 20% penalty in a fight up front.
The animal lore just really cooks it.

This is on Baja though; I have a tamer/BARD of all things on Hokuto that
just never gets in trouble. Only about 70 taming 40 animal lore with adept
barding and room temp stats. On Baja "You see xxx taming a yyy" is the same
as flagging yourself gray.

But sheesh! I have only been back on Baja since the TC went with "Set magery
1000" and I already seem to have 3 guilds after me. I haven't killed anybody
that I didn't ask to stop doing something or as revenge for killing my
tamer, but they still seem to take exception to it.

I just can't get along on that shard. If they would back up Hokuto to Baja
and Baja to Hokuto so I could have good pings all the time I would be happy.
Maybe transfer the GMs too.

Greywind

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00

Richard Cortese wrote:

> This is on Baja though; I have a tamer/BARD of all things on Hokuto that
> just never gets in trouble. Only about 70 taming 40 animal lore with adept
> barding and room temp stats. On Baja "You see xxx taming a yyy" is the same
> as flagging yourself gray.
>
> But sheesh! I have only been back on Baja since the TC went with "Set magery
> 1000" and I already seem to have 3 guilds after me. I haven't killed anybody
> that I didn't ask to stop doing something or as revenge for killing my
> tamer, but they still seem to take exception to it.
>
> I just can't get along on that shard. If they would back up Hokuto to Baja
> and Baja to Hokuto so I could have good pings all the time I would be happy.
> Maybe transfer the GMs too.

I play Baja... the only time I've kept a tamer from taming
was when we were in destard with a red guy. I wouldn't allow
a tamer to get a dragon to roast my friend. Besides, they
were cheesing the dragon.

If you want ppl to play with on Baja, look me up.

Richard Cortese

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Greywind <hj...@home.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the offer, but I think I am switching to Hokuto.

Baja just has a really broken feel to me right now. Walked a PvP character
from the Despise upper level to the red mage area on the bottom, didn't see
a sole. Went back the next night, still nobody in the entire dungeon.

Took another PvP char out and decided to check out where a Covetous rune
took me. Turned out it was the treasure room on 3, and as soon as I appeared
someone else on the level KOP'd. Ran around killing liches for a little
while, then went downstairs to kill a dragon. Took so much damage from the
dragon that I ran out of mandrake just as I killed it, so ran from level 4
to bottom of 2 to fire field corpsers until I found one with mandrake on it.
Never saw another sole in the entire time I was there.

It could just be my experience over the last month, but the shard kind of
reminds of a coyote stuck in a trap that chews its own leg off. They have
replaced the corrupt GM, but they still have the jerks doing the same kind
of BS that they got away with under treefrog. AFAIK, it was the only shard
that needed a week old backup from jerks destroying peoples houses with a
bug.

Greywind

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00

Richard Cortese wrote:

> Baja just has a really broken feel to me right now. Walked a PvP character
> from the Despise upper level to the red mage area on the bottom, didn't see
> a sole. Went back the next night, still nobody in the entire dungeon.
>
> Took another PvP char out and decided to check out where a Covetous rune
> took me. Turned out it was the treasure room on 3, and as soon as I appeared
> someone else on the level KOP'd. Ran around killing liches for a little
> while, then went downstairs to kill a dragon. Took so much damage from the
> dragon that I ran out of mandrake just as I killed it, so ran from level 4
> to bottom of 2 to fire field corpsers until I found one with mandrake on it.
> Never saw another sole in the entire time I was there.
>
> It could just be my experience over the last month, but the shard kind of
> reminds of a coyote stuck in a trap that chews its own leg off. They have
> replaced the corrupt GM, but they still have the jerks doing the same kind
> of BS that they got away with under treefrog. AFAIK, it was the only shard
> that needed a week old backup from jerks destroying peoples houses with a
> bug.

Well, I've noticed that dungeons are basically empty
except for very few/certain spots. And those are festered
with assholes... pkiller/blue healers just waiting to
ambush someone low on life.

I'm going to be hiding in these areas pretty soon..
just waiting to lend a helping hand, and our guild,
those with patience, will be doing something similar..
have 1-2 ppl fighting sometime (the bait), and another
2-3+ people hiding waiting for the blue pk asshole
to go grey... should be fun.

Lars Friedrich

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> I will lose some wrestling, but lets face it, who would trade GM anatomy
for
> GM animal lore if they knew a fight was coming up?
I would gladly exchange GM Anatomy for a dragon in a fight.

Lars Friedrich

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> > > The NPK gets rezed and runs back to loot his corpse. It was decision
> time,
> > > do I kill him outright or delayed reaction? Right! Explosion! I am a
rez
> > > killer and it felt good.
> > Thank you for creating another soon-to-be res killer pk.
> After that jerk took all my reagents my runes, I was not about to give him
> break. He is still KOS and rez kill fodder to me.
Your choice.

> Since when do you have pity for a blade spirit diver/NPK? IMO he is no
worse
> off then even. He got a free kill/NPK and handed my character a murder
count
> for the cost of some runes and average equipment.
> I never wanted to fight the asshole, I just wanted to tame a drake. I
ended
> up wasting 20 minutes on the jerk and never got to tame a drake.

Excuse me, perhaps I got your story wrong. YOU saw this kewldewd type and
NEVERTHELESS casted Blade Spirits, right?
And you got the murder count because you insisted on revenge.

> If if was up to me, he would have his account banned for exploiting the
noto
> system and I would have the murder count taken off my character, but then
> that would make sense and be fair.

So you can peacefully harvest monsters with overpowered spells?

Jay Moore

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
> If you want ppl to play with on Baja, look me up.

Hey, I play Baja too, so if you need a third, check for me by the West Brit
Bank..

Regards,

Lars Friedrich

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> > > Man I hate PvP characters that target trades people!
> > I doubt that I would call a master mage/master tamer a trades person.
> Only expert mage really, enough to get into Wind and gate was the target,
> still carry gate scrolls just in case.
> Yuri had a problem with location too, but I consider anyone with trade
> skills a trade person. I consider taming and animal lore as trade skills
as
> much as something like tinkering or mining. As opposed to someone with EI,
> Magery, Meditation, Tactics, Fencing, etcetera.
> For instance, I think IceLady has a ~GM bowyer/GM archer, that would be a
> trade person since they can do something that is, well a trade.
As a bowyer yes, archery not..
And I have never seen a tinker or miner or bowyer who could use his skill
to inflict damage.
And if you think the 'can do a trade with the skill' way then we could
assume all skills as trade skills..I can trade with the meat/hides/feathers
I get using swordmanship..

> Do you get it now?

I don't know, did you get it now?

Message has been deleted

Grant Farrington

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
On 13 Jan 2000 19:33:26 GMT, gen...@rpi.edu (Jeff Gentry) wrote:

>GM Smith
>GM Mage
>GM Eval Int
>GM Meditation
>GM Tactics
>GM Swords
>GM Resist
>
>Trade person? Is it still unfair to pick a fight with this character?

Would certainly give a fright to any of the scumbag tradesman killers
out there... sure wish my smith had these stats i would love to be
able to rock someone who attacked my miner/smith.

Cheers,

Richard Cortese

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Lars Friedrich <lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote in message
That's not the way it works though. Even with a dragon you seldom bring it
with you unless you are are not taming: It is just plain too risky. Dragon
only comes out for mundane tasks like monster havesting. This was the first
time I ever intentionally brought a dragon in a fight and may be the last.

I've spent a lot of time in the company of dragons. They are the best thing
in the game under certain conditions, but limited in many ways. Nothing in
the game can make money faster, nothing in the game is better at holding
ground, but two EI mages with explosion/flame strike combos and I am
ghosting before my dragon even knows I am being attacked. Two minutes later
and the dragon has forgotten I was attacked.

You don't deal with as many jerks as me, I have probably had a dozen dragons
and drakes killed when I was using them to monster harvest, it is trivial to
do.

All it takes is a mage with meditation. They wait until they can get the
dragon stuck on a rock, then start flame striking it and just continuing
flame striking it until it is dead. If I defend with my tamer against a mage
with EI and meditation, I am toast. There is no way to save the dragon since
I can't heal as fast as they can do damage. I can't even heal myself as fast
as they do damage to me. I have never won in this situation and it comes up
quite often. Pre animal lore for all but the most recent anyway.

Sometimes I can save the dragon by getting off an "all follow" and a gate,
but this is kind of rare in my experience. A tamed dragon is just another
monster that suffers from the same AI problems but doesn't attack first.
Kind of like a wisp. If you have a dragon inside your house, sure you aren't
going to have to worry about home invasions, but anywhere else but town and
there are 100% lethal methods that can be used. Your only hope is a noto PK
comes along, and they are just as likely to help kill the dragon first.

Richard Cortese

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00

> "Richard Cortese" wrote:
> > Since when do you have pity for a blade spirit diver/NPK? IMO he is no
> worse
> > off then even. He got a free kill/NPK and handed my character a murder
> count
> > for the cost of some runes and average equipment.
> > I never wanted to fight the asshole, I just wanted to tame a drake. I
> ended
> > up wasting 20 minutes on the jerk and never got to tame a drake.
> Excuse me, perhaps I got your story wrong. YOU saw this kewldewd type and
> NEVERTHELESS casted Blade Spirits, right?
Lars, all I can say is the best decision OSI ever made was not letting you
into their counselor program with an attitude like that.

All we need is a counselor telling jerks it is acceptable to dive on blade
spirits so they can get free murders to degrade the game more then it is
now.

> And you got the murder count because you insisted on revenge.

I have always taken my murder counts. Been both dread and murderer. Doesn't
bug me too much, but it would be better game if some of the explotation of
the noto system was grounds for punishment by OSI. Thing that really bugs me
is the exploiter avoided his murder count. I don't have all the same
problems with PKs some people do, if the guy had just attacked and killed me
while taking a murder count, no complaints. But he chose to use an exploit
to avoid a murder count and that was his choice. I see this as no less of an
exploit then when people were using the MR bug to get free kills.

Reason I insisted on revenge is because OSI does nothing. I can live with
that but it seems like you have a problem with it.

> > If if was up to me, he would have his account banned for exploiting the
> noto
> > system and I would have the murder count taken off my character, but
then
> > that would make sense and be fair.
> So you can peacefully harvest monsters with overpowered spells?

Who are you talking about here, you seem confused? I was there trying to
tame a drake which required me to weaken them first, he was there monster
havesting and exploiting the noto system. He was doing both in complete
safety until I got back with the dragon.

Unless you mean NPK=>Monster, overpowered spell=>dragon. I did get to
harvest him fairly peacefully.

You really sound like you have recently been killed by a dragon at the
deamon temple.

Richard Cortese

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00

> Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
> : Since when do you have pity for a blade spirit diver/NPK? IMO he is no
worse
> : off then even. He got a free kill/NPK and handed my character a murder
count
> : for the cost of some runes and average equipment.
>
> Then don't cast blade spirits. It is powerful magic, and its negative
> consequence for its extra power is the ability to run afoul of the law.
> Deal with it. Either that, or nerf the thing so that it is *truely* 5th
> circle in ability.
This coming from a guy who used to attack vendors to flag himself gray for
free kills. I am not supprised.

Lars Friedrich

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
"Richard Cortese" wrote:
> > > Since when do you have pity for a blade spirit diver/NPK? IMO he is no
> > worse
> > > off then even. He got a free kill/NPK and handed my character a murder
> > count
> > > for the cost of some runes and average equipment.
> > > I never wanted to fight the asshole, I just wanted to tame a drake. I
> > ended
> > > up wasting 20 minutes on the jerk and never got to tame a drake.
> > Excuse me, perhaps I got your story wrong. YOU saw this kewldewd type
and
> > NEVERTHELESS casted Blade Spirits, right?
> Lars, all I can say is the best decision OSI ever made was not letting you
> into their counselor program with an attitude like that.
> All we need is a counselor telling jerks it is acceptable to dive on blade
> spirits so they can get free murders to degrade the game more then it is
> now.
It is not that counselors run around and give tips. And if someone would ask
me if it
would be okay to run into blade spirits, then I would say that it is not
illegal to do so.
Or do you have any other information on this?
You sound like someone said that you have the right to cast Blade Spirits
without disturbance. If so, then that person was wrong.

> Reason I insisted on revenge is because OSI does nothing. I can live with
> that but it seems like you have a problem with it.

Not really. I have a problem when a discussion becomes one-sided or when I
think that
some facts of the story should be mentioned, like that you insisted on
casting Blade Spirits when
that kewldewd person was around. See, if a miner would complain that he got
killed while mining in a dungeon
then I don't say 'poor tradesperson, all those newbie pks who target miners
are scum etc.' because I see a difference
there...and your tamer who got killed by a npk is the same story.

> > > If if was up to me, he would have his account banned for exploiting
the
> > noto
> > > system and I would have the murder count taken off my character, but
> then
> > > that would make sense and be fair.
> > So you can peacefully harvest monsters with overpowered spells?
> Who are you talking about here, you seem confused? I was there trying to
> tame a drake which required me to weaken them first, he was there monster
> havesting and exploiting the noto system. He was doing both in complete
> safety until I got back with the dragon.

You had a lot of options of weakening the dragon, you decided to choose the
easiest one for you and casted a spell
whose major drawback is that it will get you grey flagged very fast. That is
not an accident, it is supposed to be that way.

> You really sound like you have recently been killed by a dragon at the
deamon temple.

I just don't like mages.

Quaestor

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> That's not the way it works though. Even with a dragon you seldom bring it
> with you unless you are are not taming: It is just plain too risky. Dragon
> only comes out for mundane tasks like monster havesting. This was the first
> time I ever intentionally brought a dragon in a fight and may be the last.

There was a time I wondered if dragons would actually be worth it in a pvp
fight. That was when I used to leave them at home when taming. When I started
taming on iceland I saw enough reds there that I decided I had to have the
protection, and started taking a dragon every time. (The stories of reds
stumbling upon me and my wyrms and rocketing away like steal balls in a pinball
game are wonderful.) So many hours spent towing a dragon around is a good
lesson in dragon-handling. Same is true in dungeons, cruising the outback,
etc. I have even acquired experience in what to do when my wyrms Mass Curse me,
and this no longer gives me problems.

I now consider Kai Du my best pvp character, when she has a dragon or white wyrm
with her. She has no Anat, no Eval, and poor Meditation, and only 90 Magery,
but I have a lot of experience at how to use the critters. When my other
characters get killed (it still happens), if there's too many monsters around or
the chance of a meeting with jerks, out comes Kai Du and wyrm to rescue stuff,
and she has never failed. Against a crew of experienced dragon-fighters, who
knows? But against most opposition, dragons are boss if the dragon-handler
knows they stuff.

> I've spent a lot of time in the company of dragons. They are the best thing in
> the game under certain conditions, but limited in many ways. Nothing in the
> game can make money faster, nothing in the game is better at holding ground,
> but two EI mages with explosion/flame strike combos and I am ghosting before
> my dragon even knows I am being attacked. Two minutes later and the dragon has
> forgotten I was attacked.

When they start casting EV you cannot afford to wait. Attack at once. Or
leave.

Unless you have a wyrm like my best. His Magery is high. Any time he is
fighting anything out of his reach he flamestrikes and ebolts it repeatedly. He
has yet to be hit with an EV, but I'm sure if he is he will make short work of
it. In fact, in his case, if I see someone attacked by EV, I will order him to
attack it. He got this powerful by starting pretty strong in Magery, and
getting a lot of field work. Hook him behind a rock and have him fight
anything. He will use magic a lot, and his Magery rises.

> All it takes is a mage with meditation. They wait until they can get the
> dragon stuck on a rock, then start flame striking it and just continuing flame
> striking it until it is dead.

That's a lot of flamestriking. Gives you plenty of time to do something about
it.

> If I defend with my tamer against a mage with EI and meditation, I am toast.
> There is no way to save the dragon since I can't heal as fast as they can do
> damage. I can't even heal myself as fast as they do damage to me. I have never
> won in this situation and it comes up quite often. Pre animal lore for all but
> the most recent anyway.

I have lost one dragon in a fight. This was to an EV that I discovered I could
not Dispel. I immediately realized the best defense if you can't kill the
attacker is to Gate out. This is where good control is critical. Once you have
the Gate open you say 'all follow me' until the instant the dragon obeys, and
hit the Gate. Even if the dragon were to get hit again and turn away from you
to fight the EV, flamestriking mage, or provoked rat, if you time it right they
will Gate with you, even if they can't get to you or see a path to you.
Critters that are totally stuck can be removed this same way. Gate is the
reason I consider Master Magery indispensible to tamers.

> Sometimes I can save the dragon by getting off an "all follow" and a gate, but
> this is kind of rare in my experience.

Uh. Well, work on that timing. It always works if you have enough control.

> A tamed dragon is just another monster that suffers from the same AI problems
> but doesn't attack first. Kind of like a wisp. If you have a dragon inside
> your house, sure you aren't going to have to worry about home invasions, but
> anywhere else but town and there are 100% lethal methods that can be used.
> Your only hope is a noto PK comes along, and they are just as likely to help
> kill the dragon first.

Accounts of this sort of thing are mixed, that dragons rule or that they are
punk, and I think the whole reason is the variable experience and understanding
by tamers of the game functions involved. One pk who was given a gm tamer
account on chessy was able to pk on an industrial scale to the point where one
player town had to insist that OS remove the stabler from the area to stop him.
Other experienced tamers claim they have no chance against experienced
dragon-killers.

Fact is, a dragon can fight bloods and poisons, surviving with something like
half health. They do almost as well against terathan avengers, ophids, and
such. They take quite a while (15 seconds?) to die to an EV. A dragon alone
can survive a while against a balron, and two or three can be sure of killing
it. This is time you can use to change things, get them out, etc. It's all a
matter of experience, thorough understanding of the functions involved, and
(*nudge nudge*) a belief that these awesome creatures Can defeat the jerks, if
their owner knows his stuff. Like any other form of pvp, the jerks' biggest
asset is their movement, not their Magery. This is where control is so
important. When the dragon gets stuck, you have to be able to unstick him, but
get him back on the attack immediately.

Of course, all that means having good skill numbers AND learning a body of
knowledge as great as any other form of pvp, such as melee or battle magery, and
That takes work and experience, and THAT takes dragons. You will either spend
an enormous amount of time learning all this without losing dragons, or you will
lose dragons. It's like losing leather armor and wooden shields as a Ranger -
these are the price of your learning.

Richard Cortese

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote in message

> Richard Cortese wrote:
>
> > That's not the way it works though. Even with a dragon you seldom bring
it
> > with you unless you are are not taming: It is just plain too risky.
Dragon
> > only comes out for mundane tasks like monster havesting. This was the
first
> > time I ever intentionally brought a dragon in a fight and may be the
last.

> There was a time I wondered if dragons would actually be worth it in a pvp
> fight. That was when I used to leave them at home when taming. When I
started
> taming on iceland I saw enough reds there that I decided I had to have the
> protection, and started taking a dragon every time. (The stories of reds
In my experience, this only works out well in certain areas, I could see how
Ice Isle would be a good one. Several dugeon areas too, like level 3
covetous or level 4 West. But any other area with a lot of obstructions like
Wind or level 1, 2, 4 East covetous are a death trap.

> I now consider Kai Du my best pvp character, when she has a dragon or
white wyrm
> with her. She has no Anat, no Eval, and poor Meditation, and only 90
Magery,
Never had a white wyrm so I am not up on them, no meditation so I can't keep
up with a meditating mage.

> but I have a lot of experience at how to use the critters. When my other
> characters get killed (it still happens), if there's too many monsters
around or
> the chance of a meeting with jerks, out comes Kai Du and wyrm to rescue
stuff,
> and she has never failed. Against a crew of experienced dragon-fighters,
who
> knows? But against most opposition, dragons are boss if the
dragon-handler
> knows they stuff.
It has just been my unfortunate experience that if you get a dragon
somewhere that the normal monster harvesting techniques work, the jerks will
harvest my dragon.

If I don't have the dragon in an area where they can hang it on a rock, they
will flame strike it and lead it to a kill zone. If I "All follow", they run
after me to attack the dragon again and lead it back to the killing zone:
Really a PIA.

> Unless you have a wyrm like my best. His Magery is high. Any time he is
> fighting anything out of his reach he flamestrikes and ebolts it
repeatedly. He
> has yet to be hit with an EV, but I'm sure if he is he will make short
work of
> it. In fact, in his case, if I see someone attacked by EV, I will order
him to
> attack it. He got this powerful by starting pretty strong in Magery, and
> getting a lot of field work. Hook him behind a rock and have him fight
> anything. He will use magic a lot, and his Magery rises.

Sheesh! Now if you could only teach 'em to meditate and cast heal/cure.

> > All it takes is a mage with meditation. They wait until they can get the
> > dragon stuck on a rock, then start flame striking it and just continuing
flame
> > striking it until it is dead.
>
> That's a lot of flamestriking. Gives you plenty of time to do something
about
> it.

For me, defeat is not necessarily who or what dies, it is who holds the
ground. I even take evacuations where I save the pet as a loss.

On the same note, if a NPK shows up, attacks the clown killing my dragon and
forces him to KOP or die a win. All about who holds the ground after the
confrontation is initiated.

You should remember that in this case, I didn't even start with a dragon.
IMO: The only reason I won round 2 was because the NPK did not expect me to
show up with a dragon so he was down on mana from killing drakes and didn't
have a clear path for retreat. I have to think if he knew I was coming he
would have won that round too.

He paused for just a second, to get me into last target I assume, but it was
a second too long. Dragon let loose a fireball at the "all kill" command,
not sure if it was a 2nd fireball w/fatigue or a paralyze out of the dragon
that stopped him, but I got there just in time to see the dragon walk up to
him and scratch him.

> Accounts of this sort of thing are mixed, that dragons rule or that they
are
> punk, and I think the whole reason is the variable experience and
understanding
> by tamers of the game functions involved. One pk who was given a gm tamer
> account on chessy was able to pk on an industrial scale to the point where
one
> player town had to insist that OS remove the stabler from the area to stop
him.
> Other experienced tamers claim they have no chance against experienced
> dragon-killers.

Location. I would bet you would have no chance of killing a relatively
inexperienced mage on level 1 of covetous for several reasons. Not the least
of which will be your lizard will keep getting side tracked killing harpies
and rats all the time. If they have enough str and stamina to duck around a
corner before dying, you will have trouble with them.

Most of the other tricks like paralyzing the opponet so the dragon can get
up close and personal don't work because of magic trapped pouches. BTW:
Found an unused magic trapped chest on the NPK, so maybe it was 2 fireballs.

But on a bank roof it would be a slaughter.

Quaestor

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> If I don't have the dragon in an area where they can hang it on a rock, they
> will flame strike it and lead it to a kill zone. If I "All follow", they run
> after me to attack the dragon again and lead it back to the killing zone:
> Really a PIA.

I have been fortunate enough except for that one time to not have to deal with
any who could really fight dragons. If I were confronted with what you describe
I would be tossing a Para on them. Once the dragon gets in contact they are
toast if you can also keep them blocked. Again though, it's control and
maneuver that makes it work.

> For me, defeat is not necessarily who or what dies, it is who holds the
> ground. I even take evacuations where I save the pet as a loss.

Try another idea. Gate out and immediately return. Their targeting is broken,
and they certainly won't expect you to come back, with a precast ebolt ready to
dump on them (get the timing so you finish casting that after you doubleclick
the gate to return). If they have the brass to jump your gate they will arrive
to find you gone, and you will be back where you started.

> On the same note, if a NPK shows up, attacks the clown killing my dragon and
> forces him to KOP or die a win. All about who holds the ground after the
> confrontation is initiated.

You have a value (holding ground) that allows them to defeat you. Keeping them
from getting what they want is my primary value. Depriving them of what they
have is better. If I can run them out that's fine. If I can leave them there
with nothing but a few burnt regs to show for it, that works too. Ultimate
victory is when their ghosts stand around oo00o0o0o0o0o'ing about how I'm a POS
for using a dragon in the first place (I presume). I'll take any of these.

> You should remember that in this case, I didn't even start with a dragon.
> IMO: The only reason I won round 2 was because the NPK did not expect me to
> show up with a dragon so he was down on mana from killing drakes and didn't
> have a clear path for retreat. I have to think if he knew I was coming he
> would have won that round too.

Hey, a drake is not a dragon. Q can wipe out drakes with a few ebolts. Dragons
are quite another matter. They are not impressed with any spell but EV, and
that takes a long time and a lot of mana to cast. Go tickle them with your
kryss and they just can't do it (laughing too hard).

Mana Drain is a spell nobody but me seems to use. Even monsters who toss
Weakness and Stupidity and Constipation and various spells no player ever uses
do not cast Mana Drain. With it I take on multiple npc spellcasters with
relative ease, and it works fine on players. You got a guy who just threw a 7th
or 8th level spell, hit him with Mana Drain (after MA) and his troubles are just
beginning. It interrupts Med, blows casting, and drops his mana too. You can
do 2 Mana Drains in the time it takes him to try one FS, and even if it does not
disrupt him he may not have the mana to cast once the spell goes off. Meanwhile
your dragon is pushing him into a spam can.

And BTW, drakes don't hit nearly so hard, and don't do any magic, but their
quickness is wonderful. They are as quick as wyrms, and that means they are
harder to escape than dragons, don't stop to do useless magic, and disrupt more
often.

> He paused for just a second, to get me into last target I assume, but it was
> a second too long. Dragon let loose a fireball at the "all kill" command,
> not sure if it was a 2nd fireball w/fatigue or a paralyze out of the dragon
> that stopped him, but I got there just in time to see the dragon walk up to
> him and scratch him.

That's the way it often goes. The tamer is the support for the dragon, and
often when they panic and run the dragon finishes the job while you are trying
to catch up (wyrms and drakes are faster, though). It went that way with some
miner-killers at minoc. I positioned the dragon near the cave entrance,
invisible, and me farther in. They attacked a miner, I counter-attacked, one
hit me, the dragon took exception to that, and they found the way out blocked.
One died right there, ripped in two after I tossed an ebolt on him, the other
got out. By the time I got there the dragon was licking his bones near the
bridge. It doesn't always work that way, but sometimes. The element of
surprise is the biggest key.

> Location. I would bet you would have no chance of killing a relatively
> inexperienced mage on level 1 of covetous for several reasons.

First of all, I just don't go there. I consider that to be another Xroads. :-)

> Not the least
> of which will be your lizard will keep getting side tracked killing harpies
> and rats all the time. If they have enough str and stamina to duck around a
> corner before dying, you will have trouble with them.

That is a tough one. I even have trouble with monsters when there are too
many. Dragons don't do much good against ettin, trolls, and elementals when
they are too busy killing mongbats. Careful use of follow me's to keep them on
track, and guard me's to get them fighting the one I want is the way I handle
it. Again, I use kill orders only very rarely, considering the bugs and trouble
with that feature.

> Most of the other tricks like paralyzing the opponet so the dragon can get
> up close and personal don't work because of magic trapped pouches.

They still have to take time to trigger them. One second is forever in this
game. And the dragon will be throwing a few Para's too. Run them out of MT's.

> BTW:
> Found an unused magic trapped chest on the NPK, so maybe it was 2 fireballs.

Could be lag. Dragons tend to lag those with slow machines due to the large
animation files that suddenly have to be loaded. Of course he had been in the
presence of dragons for quite some time, but it could have been other kinds of
lag. My take: I'll take whatever advantage fate hands me - it certainly owes me
a few.

> But on a bank roof it would be a slaughter.

In a closed simple area no jerk is going to survive against a dragon. But
catching them in such a situation is almost impossible. Aside from thorough
knowledge of the game system, the number one weapon, offensive or defensive, is
maneuver, and it is the one real way to defeat dragons or anything else. The
trick is to either deprive them of that, or leave them nothing But that. They
can run till they wear their shoes fall off, but if they have no strike power or
cannot use it without exposing themselves (and that's illegal, you know), they
can't win.

Richard Cortese

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

> Richard Cortese wrote:
>
> > If I don't have the dragon in an area where they can hang it on a rock,
they
> > will flame strike it and lead it to a kill zone. If I "All follow", they
run
> > after me to attack the dragon again and lead it back to the killing
zone:
> > Really a PIA.
>
> I have been fortunate enough except for that one time to not have to deal
with
> any who could really fight dragons. If I were confronted with what you
describe
> I would be tossing a Para on them. Once the dragon gets in contact they
are
> toast if you can also keep them blocked. Again though, it's control and
> maneuver that makes it work.
This doesn't really work for me because of low resist. 90+ strength even
after animal lore since I am still activing 'attempting' to tame, but the
50ish resist against a EI mage means I drop. The get me into last target,
the run in and out of range para/exp/ebolt. I can't keep up with heals or
reflects because of no meditation. With no meditation and less then 73
magery, I just can't keep up with healing either myself or the dragon
against a meditating mage.

I do have room to drop hiding and add resist, currently in the process now.
But one of my favorite techniques was to lead a dragon into a dangerous area
and hide while the dragon cleared it. It will also mean I can't do the
hide/go to the bathroom thing anymore. Really, I play UO in the very early
morning while slamming expressos and in the late evenings while maybe
drinking a glass of wine. This will probably lead to bladder stretching and
permanent scar tissue.<grin>

> > You should remember that in this case, I didn't even start with a
dragon.
> > IMO: The only reason I won round 2 was because the NPK did not expect me
> > show up with a dragon so he was down on mana from killing drakes and
didn't
> > have a clear path for retreat. I have to think if he knew I was coming
he
> > would have won that round too.
>
> Hey, a drake is not a dragon. Q can wipe out drakes with a few ebolts.
Dragons
> are quite another matter. They are not impressed with any spell but EV,
and
> that takes a long time and a lot of mana to cast. Go tickle them with
your
> kryss and they just can't do it (laughing too hard).

I was still doing the taming thing, still looking to make GM. There are
still a few animals I have not tamed in the game, some of them are the more
popular. I guess is two goals I would kind of like to see my character make,
GM tamer and tame every critter in the game. Maybe not realistic at this
point since my play time is really down.

I kind of like it when I tame something I have never tamed before. For
instance I had never even bothered to tame the little kitty hell cats in
fire dungeon before last night <I don't recall taming a fire lizard either
for that matter>.

Damn thing was so cute it almost made you want to vomit! You know how Yuri
bitches about the tamed animal teleporting bug? This damn cat teleports 100%
of the time! It would be the purrfect animal to demonstrate the bug. I
wandered around sic'n the thing on birds, mongbats, and such for an hour
watching it vanish and reappear next to the target. Apparently its fighting
ability is increasing since before I put it away it was taking down great
harts. Still only has 32 hit points by my estimate, but it would be a great
gift to a leather tailor.

Quaestor

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> > Again though, it's control and
> > maneuver that makes it work.

> This doesn't really work for me because of low resist.

Kai Du has just recently come up to 48 Resist. The best resist is to not let
them cast on you.

OK, we have different styles of play. I, for one, am two different persons,
pvp-wise. Either I'm the sneaky little skill-monger, staying distant, using all
manor of tricks, pets, terrain, fancy combinations, etc, or I'm the
get-in-close-and-bash-them melee'r. Obviously I prefer the former. It's what I
did best in SBR, even while teaching the mass melee tactic that provided our
initial successes. You have your favorite ways, and the ways of a tamer are
rather different, just as the ways of a bard or thief are. I have carefully and
conservatively worked out methods of using critters that work for me. Maybe
those ways are not for everyone.

> 90+ strength even after animal lore since I am still activing 'attempting' to
> tame, but the 50ish resist against a EI mage means I drop.

Disruption. Get that dragon hitting them, and you hit them. Interestingly
enough, low Tactics and no Anatomy can help, since those are points that can be
spent on magic and taming. Tactics seems to have nothing to do with hitting
anymore, just weapon skill. And hitting is what it takes to disrupt. Dagger or
kryss, katana, whatever is fastest, just get in there and hack as fast as you
can. I also generally carry a wand with some form of attack in it, preferably
lightning (harder to resist). With Lastobject/Lasttarget you can machinegun
with those at no mana cost, disrupting just great. Meanwhile the dragon is
doing the real damage.

> The get me into last target, the run in and out of range para/exp/ebolt.

There is where you have to maneuver better. And remember, even if you can't
Hide, Invis will force them to Reveal, and meanwhile your dragon is after them.
You can't let them have both maneuver and strike power. Do something to deprive
them of one or the other. A mage or halberdier with maneuvering room is very
deadly. You have to stay in contact to beat them. Either freeze them in place
or stay with them. OR use their maneuvering time to do some getting away.

That's the way I used to fight in the SCA. When someone wanted to move around a
lot I would alternatively press close or back away, anything to disrupt their
movement pattern. It worked.

> I can't keep up with heals or reflects because of no meditation. With no

> meditation and less then 73 magery, I just can't keep up with healing either

> myself or the dragon against a meditating mage.

Hmmm, just what numbers are you using? Kai Du has 50 Med, 90 Magery, near GM
fighting, and 188 points in AL/Taming, and still a lot of Hiding and Tracking,
and enough Healing and Resist to matter. You do have to carefully select your
skills, but you can matter in fighting, magic, and taming. The only point is,
you cannot rule in more than one and still have all three. Having learned to
fight with dragons, I prefer to focus on that, supporting the dragon with magic,
fending off with melee and maneuver. Personal style, of course.

> I do have room to drop hiding and add resist, currently in the process now.
> But one of my favorite techniques was to lead a dragon into a dangerous area
> and hide while the dragon cleared it.

I like that. My only big worry besides the appearance of a jerk with an EV is
whether the critter will wander so far I will lose track of it. It has
happened. One time it took me ten minutes to find him. Boy did He get a
talking to!

> It will also mean I can't do the hide/go to the bathroom thing anymore.

Keep some Hiding, but not as much as you're used to.

> Really, I play UO in the very early morning while slamming expressos and in
> the late evenings while maybe drinking a glass of wine. This will probably
> lead to bladder stretching and permanent scar tissue.<grin>

Hmmm. Maybe cookies and milk? :-)

> I was still doing the taming thing, still looking to make GM. There are still
> a few animals I have not tamed in the game, some of them are the more popular.
> I guess is two goals I would kind of like to see my character make, GM tamer
> and tame every critter in the game. Maybe not realistic at this point since my
> play time is really down.

I'm really only interested in the more interesting ones. (I guess that
follows.) I don't care if I ever do a lava lizard because they don't keep in
the old lands. But I do hell hounds because they travel anywhere. I'm about to
try imps because they travel, and would be a devastating surprize in pvp
(imagine attacking a nekid person and suddenly being targeted by 7
previously-invisible imps throwing ebolt). But then, 7 dragons would do just as
well, only I could replace the imps sooner at no cost.

> You know how Yuri bitches about the tamed animal teleporting bug?

No, he disappeared from my scope a long time ago. :-)

> This damn cat teleports 100% of the time!

Remember blinkdogs?

Richard Cortese

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> > I can't keep up with heals or reflects because of no meditation. With no
> > meditation and less then 73 magery, I just can't keep up with healing
either
> > myself or the dragon against a meditating mage.
>
> Hmmm, just what numbers are you using? Kai Du has 50 Med, 90 Magery, near
GM
> fighting, and 188 points in AL/Taming, and still a lot of Hiding and
Tracking,
> and enough Healing and Resist to matter. You do have to carefully select
your
Former or current stats? It was ~50 int pre animal lore and ~90 str 85 dex.
By no meditation I mean 0.0 skill level. This mean if I so much as healed my
dragon twice, I didn't have enough mana left to gate it out.

You have to remember I haven't used this character in quite a while. Only
recently since the 'set' thing on TC. Even prior to that I was doing mostly
other things on Hokuto like master fisherman and a GM scribe.

Going back to Baja after a year of TC and Hokuto was a rude awakening.

Still have the 90+ strength, but int has gone to ~80 with the concurent drop
in dex. Fighting skills are old school, GM archery, master wrestling and
tactics and I had let maces decay to 70ish. The combination of archery nerf
with losing dex to int has kind of killed the character for doing anything
but killing death robed thieves and burning arrows trying to kill trolls.

Character used to be like a ranger type, tracking, tailoring, hiding, enough
fletching to make arrows, that kind of stuff.

I have purged everything but hiding now and that is next to go, I don't like
the change. I have several good sticks around, but still at a disadvantage
to someone with deadly poison or a one hander that lets them drink potions
or a shield or meditation or... you get the picture.

You have to remember, the ONLY time my tamer was attacked when they had a
pet, it was only a grizzly I was transporting home to spar with.

It is almost like someone asked them, "How would you like a 12 second head
start where you are sure your target can't hide, meditate, or use any other
skill?" and the answer to how was "Just wait until you see the taming
message start".

If someone does attack my lizards, it is after the thing is 1/2 dead and
being set upon by drakes and giant serpents. By this time, I have already
burned my mana down with cures and heals to the point where even gating it
out is a problem. There are very few brave assholes.

But I will adjust. I think I have to grant jerks places like Covet and Wind
where they can manuver and hang pets. Come to think of it, I should just
grant them Baja and spend some time working on my Hokuto tamer.

Baja is drowning. 4 nights in a row I have spent dungeon diving and tonight
was the only night where I actually saw more then a 'show incoming' name on
my screen. One of them started an ebolt when I came on screen, but thought
the better of it.

Checked out Lumaria and it was empty as usual. Only bright spot was the two
story house that 'lootman' scammed the town out of and sold on eBay has new
tenents that actually stock their vendors!

> skills, but you can matter in fighting, magic, and taming. The only point
is,
> you cannot rule in more than one and still have all three. Having learned
> fight with dragons, I prefer to focus on that, supporting the dragon with
magic,
> fending off with melee and maneuver. Personal style, of course.

I could show you where they get trapped, but you would say "well don't go
there" and I have already decided to take the advice. I am losing hiding for
sure, maybe meditation will be the way to go.

I have also decided to make an escape rune to a stable. That way, even if a
kewlio tries gate jumping to kill my pets I can just yell "stable" and piss
them off.

Quaestor

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> I have also decided to make an escape rune to a stable. That way, even if a
> kewlio tries gate jumping to kill my pets I can just yell "stable" and piss
> them off.

Get back to them quick if there is any chance they were poisoned. Poison
continues to work while pet is in stable.

Eric A. Hall

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

> Try another idea. Gate out and immediately return. Their targeting
> is broken, and they certainly won't expect you to come back, with a
> precast ebolt ready to dump on them (get the timing so you finish
> casting that after you doubleclick the gate to return).

I've tried doing this before, and it's never worked for me. Once I go
back through the gate, the spell doesn't toss. The targetting cursor
will still be up but clicking does nothing. It may only work if you
don't cross server lines, I haven't really played with it enough.

> Mana Drain is a spell nobody but me seems to use.

It's resisted too easily to be reliable for pvp, meaning it backfires:
you end up draining your own mana most of the time.

Lord Queso

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
>I've tried doing this before, and it's never worked for me. Once I go
>back through the gate, the spell doesn't toss. The targetting cursor
>will still be up but clicking does nothing. It may only work if you
>don't cross server lines, I haven't really played with it enough.

After 30 seconds the spell will not work. That could be the problem.

-Hi. My name is Queso and I'm an Ultimaholic.
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
-Alexandre Dumas

Quaestor

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> > Try another idea. Gate out and immediately return. Their targeting
> > is broken, and they certainly won't expect you to come back, with a
> > precast ebolt ready to dump on them (get the timing so you finish
> > casting that after you doubleclick the gate to return).
>

> I've tried doing this before, and it's never worked for me. Once I go
> back through the gate, the spell doesn't toss. The targetting cursor
> will still be up but clicking does nothing. It may only work if you
> don't cross server lines, I haven't really played with it enough.

With careful timing, it works.

1. get out through gate.
2. heal, reset reflect, start bandage, etc (quickly)
3. start casting ebolt
4. step back through gate before spell is ready
5. hit last target, ebolt hits him (or his reflect)