Defending PK

JENG V

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
I've been reading up on all those PK treads, and I'm wondering.....

I'm realy into Fantasy and RPG (realy like reading fantasy books,
playing AD&D games and Muds with friends) but have only started playing
UO 2 days ago (don't laugh...lol).

I'm realy enjoying the game and haven't got the urge to PK but maybe one
day this will change. It's true that most of those PK's are teenage
KewLDooDs and yes they are annoying (I stopped playing Diablo a long
time ago because the Cheating, PKing kids that made up the majority of
the online PC's). But I don't think it's wrong to PK as long as you give
the PKing char some identity and reason for PKing (aka roleplaying).
I've been killed alot in these past two days (*grinn*) and it realy
annoyed me but I've got killed once by this PK'r who realy RPed and it
was in fact a pleasant experience (mmm... no I'm no masochist...lol).
What I'm trying to say is that PK char's are valid identities in a
fantasy world ( there has to be evil).

JENG
a UO newbie...lol

PS: I still hate to die, especially if it is followed by " your dead,
you suck, you're lame dude, etc, etc

Richard Cortese

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

JENG V wrote:

> I've been reading up on all those PK treads, and I'm wondering.....
>
> I'm realy into Fantasy and RPG (realy like reading fantasy books,
> playing AD&D games and Muds with friends) but have only started playing
> UO 2 days ago (don't laugh...lol).
>
> I'm realy enjoying the game and haven't got the urge to PK but maybe one
> day this will change. It's true that most of those PK's are teenage
> KewLDooDs and yes they are annoying (I stopped playing Diablo a long
> time ago because the Cheating, PKing kids that made up the majority of
> the online PC's). But I don't think it's wrong to PK as long as you give
> the PKing char some identity and reason for PKing (aka roleplaying).
> I've been killed alot in these past two days (*grinn*) and it realy
> annoyed me but I've got killed once by this PK'r who realy RPed and it
> was in fact a pleasant experience (mmm... no I'm no masochist...lol).
> What I'm trying to say is that PK char's are valid identities in a
> fantasy world ( there has to be evil).

Actually, not everyone here is anti PK or even believes the PK problem
as it were is that out of hand right now.

We also tend to use different terms when we think about it. For
instance, in UO if you pretty much stay within the rules by not cheating
and having at least a thin motivation for your character, you would be
called a "murderer".

UT is a classic example. He has a territory his group has claimed, his
guild when he has them under control, used to be the wearing of plate
and trespassing as a measure of being "Fit to kill".

PK as it is referred to here, means the same thing as it did in Diablo.
Much of it has been eliminated, but we will continue to register how
slow OSI seemed to be responding to it. It doesn't mean anything, most
of the PKing we are talking about happened months ago.

New hot topic seems to be behavior in the game. For instance, last
weekend I was at the Britian bank, with a female chr I might add, and
another naked female character came up and said ~"I will SUK UR COCK for
50 gold". I told 'her' I will give you 100 gold to leave me alone, which
'she' accepted and replied, "youi a gay fag"<sic>.

I am not sure what this meant. I mean it seems like a double negative
kind of thing. If you are a gay fag, does that mean you are straight?

Anyway, not a lot of these types in the game now. Maybe happens once a
week. Saw the chr named "BONES says FUQ U" a day or two ago. If you can
ignore it, the game is pretty good. Most of the problem players really
only qualify as boorish behavior vs out and out anti social.

Glad to see you in the game anyway!

> JENG
> a UO newbie...lol
>
> PS: I still hate to die, especially if it is followed by " your dead,
> you suck, you're lame dude, etc, etc

Then don't do it if you go PK. Don't try and discourage new players.
After all, that newbie you spare today may be your PK buddy tomorrow.