The Baja Experience

Rick Cortese

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Locked a couple of potion kegs down, didn't really need the potions since
they weren't valuble, only 70ish alchemy and just starting to make GH with
probably a 90% failure rate. So from zero up I was just dumping junk potions
into the kegs, things like nightsight, regular heals.

Sure enough, some jerk apparently came by and stole all the potions I was to
lazy to throw away and to bored to drink. Must of taken 200 or so potions,
must of taken him an hour, maybe bought several hundred bottles for 6 gold
each to steal the nightsight potions. Maybe he was smart and bought a potion
keg for 400-600 so he didn't have to buy 600 gold worth of bottles to steal
300 gold worth of spider silk.

This is state of the art stuff on Baja. I mean it actually cost you money to
set yourself up for doing things like this and destroying people's
lockdowns.

I just can't stop laughing while I write this. I can imagine the first time
this dude uses one of those "Yellow Potions" when he needs it and finds out
it only heals 4 points. He'll probably die several times before he bothers
to use taste ID.

If it wasn't so funny, I would add this type of idiot to the people I think
OSI should ban. They should make you take an IQ test before they let you
play the game.

Castile Elan

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
From Castile Elan to Rick, greetings

Rick Cortese <rico...@netmagic.net> wrote

:
: Sure enough, some jerk apparently came by and stole all the potions I was
: lazy to throw away and to bored to drink. Must of taken 200 or so potions,
: must of taken him an hour, maybe bought several hundred bottles for 6 gold
: each to steal the nightsight potions. Maybe he was smart and bought a
potion
: keg for 400-600 so he didn't have to buy 600 gold worth of bottles to
steal
: 300 gold worth of spider silk.

:

I remember that when I first placed my chapel, I thought how good it would
be to provide my alchemical learning to the public. I locked down two kegs
like you, with simple heals and cures in them rather than throw away/use the
low level stuff I was using for skill gain. Sure enough, every day they were
drained dry by someone. At first (being old and naive) I was pleased that
people found these potions useful. Some time later, the miscreant popped by
while I was there, and quite brazenly drained the kegs of potions while I
watched. I kept watching, partly to see how far this would go, and partly to
see if he could move with the weight! UO is an education, if naught else ;-)

: This is state of the art stuff on Baja. I mean it actually cost you money

: set yourself up for doing things like this and destroying people's
: lockdowns.

As you know, I was on Europa so 'tis not confined to Baja. I feel sure that
for this kind of person, the economics of the issue have little bearing - it
is done because it _can_ be done and in the hope that others will be upset
by the action. Surely, my own robber was rather irritated that I did not
react in a hostile or angry manner, merely with amused curiosity. He later
wrote some imaginative but physically impossible suggestions into my
greetings book.
:
: I just can't stop laughing while I write this. I can imagine the first

time
: this dude uses one of those "Yellow Potions" when he needs it and finds
out
: it only heals 4 points. He'll probably die several times before he bothers
: to use taste ID.
:
: If it wasn't so funny, I would add this type of idiot to the people I
think
: OSI should ban. They should make you take an IQ test before they let you
: play the game.

Sadly, they might argue that you and I are the intellectually challenged
ones for believing that things would be otherwise.... :-)

Castile Elan

Rick Cortese

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
"Castile Elan" <gone...@last.net> wrote in message

Trying to keep in good humor over this. I think you are right about motives,
tongue in cheek: OSI could use this to solve their gold sink problem. Just
sell trash barrel destroying deeds for 10,000 gold each that work on all the
trash barrels in the game. The busy little beavers will spend all their time
duping gold so they can buy the deeds so they can destroy your trash
barrels, which you can of course replace for free.

From a Social Darwinism standpoint, I can't for the life of me figure out
how or why these people manage to survive in the gene pool. You would think
that no one would want to breed with someone like that and eventually all
the jealous husbands who's wives they are trying to imseminate would take
them out of the reproductive system. I guess some of them just keep sneaking
through every generation. Sheesh! We even elected one president here.

Nate

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Someone ate my cookies. :-P Oh, and I logged on one morning to
find every pack that wasn't in a secure dyed a different colored.
Confused the hell out of me, as I thought you could only dye
empty packs.

--
Nathaniel Minera, GM Blacksmith & Miner
of the Serpent's Spine, Great Lakes (Trammel)

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Mistress Morrigan

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
> Trying to keep in good humor over this. I think you are right about
motives,
> tongue in cheek: OSI could use this to solve their gold sink problem. Just
> sell trash barrel destroying deeds for 10,000 gold each that work on all
the
> trash barrels in the game. The busy little beavers will spend all their
time
> duping gold so they can buy the deeds so they can destroy your trash
> barrels, which you can of course replace for free.
>
> From a Social Darwinism standpoint, I can't for the life of me figure out
> how or why these people manage to survive in the gene pool. You would
think
> that no one would want to breed with someone like that and eventually all
> the jealous husbands who's wives they are trying to imseminate would take
> them out of the reproductive system. I guess some of them just keep
sneaking
> through every generation. Sheesh! We even elected one president here.

Someone forgot to chlorinate the gene pool

Mistress Morrigan (Trinity Goddess)
Pronunciation {mor-rig-ahn}
=
High Queen and Goddess of the Tuatha Dé Danann.
As Macha she is Goddess of war and fertility
As Badb she is the water-goddess whose sacred well is a source of knowledge.
As Neman she is the goddess of war and battle.

-----------

Nate

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
"Mistress Morrigan" <winte...@cyberspace.org> wrote:
>Someone forgot to chlorinate the gene pool

Haha.. never heard that one before. *rolls eyes*

Say, could I get a gate to Britain. plz? But let me shoot this
guard a few more times first. ;-)

kh...@icqmail.com

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:56:48 -0700, "Rick Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>Locked a couple of potion kegs down, didn't really need the potions since
>they weren't valuble, only 70ish alchemy and just starting to make GH with
>probably a 90% failure rate. So from zero up I was just dumping junk potions
>into the kegs, things like nightsight, regular heals.

I'm just starting into GC's with that failure rate myself. (Only 75%
on the GHs :p ) Pain in the butt not knowing where to pick up some
potion kegs though. (And being unwilling to wander around some bank
spamming 'buying potion kegs...')

Nate

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

What shard are you on? Shouldn't take too long to get a 50/50
tinker/carpenter up to the level needed for kegs

Myrex

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

remove .spam from end of address when replying via email
"Mistress Morrigan" <winte...@cyberspace.org> wrote in message

> Someone forgot to chlorinate the gene pool

ah that explains why there are so many turds floating around on the top,
rather than at the bottom.

Nate

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
"Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:
>I just did this but from 0/0. The tinker part was relatively
easy if
>unprofitable, the crates and items made from carpentry got the
chr up to
>tinkering metal items and from about 50 to 75 it was mostly
making lockpicks
>at 1 ingot each.

Well, this would just be to help out khaot...

>But carpentry really sucked the big one. Went from essentially
nothing in
>the bank to 40,000 gold and I didn't even sell every shield/item
I made. I
>didn't sell items before I got to the wooden shield stage. Ice
said when she
>did it, it was worth about 30,000 to take a chr to that stage,
so I suspect
>the advancement rate has been slowed a bit for carpentry.
40,000/30 gold per
>shield 1,300 shields. 1,300 shields with failures probably took
20,000 logs.
>The new 3 maximum attempts at logging per area ~1.5 on average
means even
>with an expert logger you are going to spend an gawd awful
amount of time
>just walking around hugging trees.
>
>Still in the upper 70s carpentry with the character, took them
out for a
>power hour yesterday, for the first time in at least a week.
Made
>quaterstaffs until overloaded, got 0.0 skill gain. Then banned a
Troll from
>the house and dropped a fire field on him, int went up 1, str
went down 1,
>and magery increase .1.
>
>IMNHO: Trades are kind of stuffed right now. Some work well like
inscription
>and tinkering, but a lot of problems with everything else. I
even regard the
>fast track to lumber jacking by fighting or sparing vs
lumberjacking as a
>problem.

Well, I know they've said that they've "fixed" mining (I never
noticed a problem with it) and that lumberjacking would raise
more from lumberjacking than sparring now....

Ian A Kelley

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:24:52 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

>But carpentry really sucked the big one. Went from essentially nothing in
>the bank to 40,000 gold and I didn't even sell every shield/item I made. I
>didn't sell items before I got to the wooden shield stage. Ice said when she
>did it, it was worth about 30,000 to take a chr to that stage, so I suspect
>the advancement rate has been slowed a bit for carpentry. 40,000/30 gold per
>shield 1,300 shields. 1,300 shields with failures probably took 20,000 logs.
>The new 3 maximum attempts at logging per area ~1.5 on average means even
>with an expert logger you are going to spend an gawd awful amount of time
>just walking around hugging trees.

Yep, you better believe it. When Toruneko (my carpenter) was getting high up
there in carpentry, Samantha (my logger) spent such inordinant amounts of time
chopping I thought I would die of boredom. (Also, I had mapped out good spots
for logging, which made me kind of miffed) The main problem is in order to get
a full packhorse of wood, you have to clear out mass amounts of forest. This
would be a serious problem if multiple people were trying to get wood out of the
same area. Fortunately (?) everyone on the shard was camping the lich lord room.
I've seen people at the bank spamming that they'd pay 20gp/board, it's so hard
to find dedicated lumberjacks nowadays.

As for advancement rate for lumberjacking, forget it. I think Samantha made it
to 90 by whacking things with her axe during power hour (for maybe 0.3/hr)
before giving it up and calling it quits on ever making GM. Same thing for
Cooking, too. Of course, being one of the 3 UO players with over a 90 level in
cooking means that there are only two others that would know that cooking gain
is broken. :)

---
Ian Kelley "Try not to become a man of success but
ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu rather to become a man of value."
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~ikelley/ --Albert Einstein

Ian A Kelley

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Rick Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:

: Screwing around with my son's account, made a GM scout in 2 power hours.

Wow, that's fast. Before she became a fisher, I was building Tracking on
Samantha, and it was going super slow. (of course, this is in the days
before Incoming Names, when the skill had a use)

: It actually isn't that bad as far as useless skills go. Chr is a lockpick
: too, so just hit the detect hidden and every trap and locked box on the
: screen lights up w/o have to enter buildings or turn on circle of
: transparancy.

Detect Hidden is actually semi-broken. Haven't tested it at the higher
levels, but at 0.0 it will not go up, period. Once you buy a little, it
shoots up really high. If there are multiple traps in an area, you can
get a gain for each trap. Around 40-50 level I was gaining .5 detect a
shot, just because there were multiple traps around.

Many of the other useless skills are beyond broken. Another skill I was
training on my thief character Sasuke, Remove Trap, is so abominably slow
you wouldn't believe it. MAYBE .1 a try at the 20-30 level, and you've
got to res after every failure. Lockpicking also refuses to gain once
you hit 70. Hiding? Sticks in the 50s.

: I'm really in a bad mood lately. Just bought two exceptional war axes for
: 400 gold each and saw a war fork of ruin for 1350 gold. Impact of this is
: forcing a certain style of game play on people. You won't find many tinkers
: or cooks that can make enough money to afford weapons which kind of forces
: them into the PvM arena to keep up.

Well, most of the dedicated tinkers, and ALL of the dedicated cooks I'd
be willing to bet, don't really NEED money to afford weapons--nor will be
all that into fighting anyway. And most powergamers who use the amount of
gold they have as a scorecard generally won't have the patience to do the
crafts, and/or want to be seen as a "badass" so will devote all their
efforts to achieve those goals.

Where it hits hardest now is the resource gatherers--the miners,
lumberjacks, and hide gatherers. It used to be that putting a lot of
serious work into gathering resources and selling them to other people
was one of the most if not the most profitable venture outside of PKing.
The catch was that it's mindnumbingly boring. Now that monsters give easy
loot faster and without the boredom, all the gatherers have abandonded their
trades, leaving the would-be crafters without the resources they need
unless they supply their own. This makes a lot of crafters give up and
turn to monsterbashing too. Only those who are using X skill for the sake
of doing it will remain.

: I don't mind useless skills, I like useless skills, I just like to have the
: choice of which useless skills I put on a character vs the OSI method of
: animal lore is more rangerish then tracking kind of stuff.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, and I know the advanced tamers will
kill me for saying it, (I was just a newbie tamer before I left UO) but I
actually liked the use of animal lore. Skills like EI, Anatomy and AL
really weren't good for anything before--now they're worth having.

All in all, if I were in charge, I would be nerfing and juicing depending
on what's the most popular. If nobody is doing X and everyone is doing Y,
I'd nerf Y and juice X. Then I'd repeat this process for every
skill/skillset/class/whatever, until every one was an "equal"
possibility. I guess OSI is trying to do the exact opposite, thinking it
will please the masses. On an administrative level, it's less headache
too--if you can successfully make everyone a monster basher, you'll only
have to worry about fixing monster bashing, and everything else can be
ignored.

Ah well, it's unlikely to change, at least in the short term. Perhaps when
the "next generation" of MMORPGs comes out, things will be different.

gil

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Ian A Kelley wrote:

> All in all, if I were in charge, I would be nerfing and juicing depending
> on what's the most popular. If nobody is doing X and everyone is doing Y,
> I'd nerf Y and juice X.

This was how they originally intended to do skills - skills gain was
tied in to how many folks were using that skill. While it sounds good
in theory, their implementation left much to be desired (for example,
tactics, which is used a lot, was a lot easier to raise than much
less-used skills like smithing).

Of course, OSI's "fix" that uncoupled skill gain with skill use seems to
leave even more to be desired ;)

gil

gil

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Rick Cortese wrote:

> Thing that really slows remove trap is you are spending more time as a ghost
> then you are removing traps. I guess it is a good cheap skill for getting to
> GM meditation, healing, and anatomy since you spend so much time resurecting
> and bandaging at the healer. I believe remove trap because I have a
> character with something like 70 in it on SP.

I have a friend *whistles innocently* with a couple accounts/computers,
and he'd *whistles innocently* have a mage char on one acct set to
'follow' his lockpicker from the second acct. When the picker died from
failing to remove traps, my friend *whistles innocently* would switch to
the mage, rez the picker, and get right back to picking. It sped things
up a lot, and the mage char benefited from the gating/rezzing.

This was back when picking and removing traps were easy to raise (before
they nerfed non-jerk thief skills while at the same time bringing back
stealing in melee and other jerk thief skills), I don't know if I
errrrr I mean I don't know if he would do it now.

gil

Rick Cortese

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
"Nate" <nrussell3...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

> >On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:56:48 -0700, "Rick Cortese"
> ><rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Locked a couple of potion kegs down, didn't really need the
> potions since
> >>they weren't valuble, only 70ish alchemy and just starting to
> make GH with
> >>probably a 90% failure rate. So from zero up I was just dumping
> junk potions
> >>into the kegs, things like nightsight, regular heals.
> >
> >I'm just starting into GC's with that failure rate myself.
> (Only 75%
> >on the GHs :p ) Pain in the butt not knowing where to pick up
> some
> >potion kegs though. (And being unwilling to wander around some
> bank
> >spamming 'buying potion kegs...')
> >

> What shard are you on? Shouldn't take too long to get a 50/50
> tinker/carpenter up to the level needed for kegs

I just did this but from 0/0. The tinker part was relatively easy if

unprofitable, the crates and items made from carpentry got the chr up to
tinkering metal items and from about 50 to 75 it was mostly making lockpicks
at 1 ingot each.

But carpentry really sucked the big one. Went from essentially nothing in

the bank to 40,000 gold and I didn't even sell every shield/item I made. I
didn't sell items before I got to the wooden shield stage. Ice said when she
did it, it was worth about 30,000 to take a chr to that stage, so I suspect
the advancement rate has been slowed a bit for carpentry. 40,000/30 gold per
shield 1,300 shields. 1,300 shields with failures probably took 20,000 logs.
The new 3 maximum attempts at logging per area ~1.5 on average means even
with an expert logger you are going to spend an gawd awful amount of time
just walking around hugging trees.

Still in the upper 70s carpentry with the character, took them out for a

Rick Cortese

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
"Ian A Kelley" <ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:24:52 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
> wrote:
>

> >But carpentry really sucked the big one. Went from essentially nothing in
> >the bank to 40,000 gold and I didn't even sell every shield/item I made.
> >didn't sell items before I got to the wooden shield stage. Ice said when
she
> >did it, it was worth about 30,000 to take a chr to that stage, so I
suspect
> >the advancement rate has been slowed a bit for carpentry. 40,000/30 gold
per
> >shield 1,300 shields. 1,300 shields with failures probably took 20,000
logs.
> >The new 3 maximum attempts at logging per area ~1.5 on average means even
> >with an expert logger you are going to spend an gawd awful amount of time
> >just walking around hugging trees.

Screwing around with my son's account, made a GM scout in 2 power hours.

It actually isn't that bad as far as useless skills go. Chr is a lockpick

too, so just hit the detect hidden and every trap and locked box on the
screen lights up w/o have to enter buildings or turn on circle of
transparancy.

I wouldn't mind if they made all skills other then PvP and PvM *nearly* this
easy to gain. OSI still hasn't quite gotten the message that having
something other then monster havesters in the game is good for it. They
spend too much time on web boards where long time players/special interest
groups are advocating making skills tougher such that they end up being the
only franchise.

I'm really in a bad mood lately. Just bought two exceptional war axes for
400 gold each and saw a war fork of ruin for 1350 gold. Impact of this is
forcing a certain style of game play on people. You won't find many tinkers
or cooks that can make enough money to afford weapons which kind of forces
them into the PvM arena to keep up.

I don't mind useless skills, I like useless skills, I just like to have the

Rick Cortese

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
"Ian A Kelley" <ike...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> Rick Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
> Detect Hidden is actually semi-broken. Haven't tested it at the higher
> levels, but at 0.0 it will not go up, period. Once you buy a little, it
> shoots up really high. If there are multiple traps in an area, you can
> get a gain for each trap. Around 40-50 level I was gaining .5 detect a
> shot, just because there were multiple traps around.

Whoops! Add to that that it doesn't work on multiple trapped item. For
instance, I was using dugeon crates that had all three traps, poison dart
and explosion, on them to go up so fast. If I would disarm the first trap it
would show as safe even at GM scout, but opening it would set off the other
traps. Makes it kind of back into the useless realm since you are just
sitting there until you cast 3 telekinesis spells or one doesn't set off a
trap.

I do think 'remove trap' actually works like 'remove trapS', it seems to
disarm multiple traps with one usage.

> Many of the other useless skills are beyond broken. Another skill I was
> training on my thief character Sasuke, Remove Trap, is so abominably slow
> you wouldn't believe it. MAYBE .1 a try at the 20-30 level, and you've
> got to res after every failure. Lockpicking also refuses to gain once
> you hit 70. Hiding? Sticks in the 50s.

Thing that really slows remove trap is you are spending more time as a ghost

then you are removing traps. I guess it is a good cheap skill for getting to
GM meditation, healing, and anatomy since you spend so much time resurecting
and bandaging at the healer. I believe remove trap because I have a
character with something like 70 in it on SP.

I've gotten lockpicking to rise, but the only way it seems to go up is by
having runes to every locked chest in the game including dungeons, and
recalling to each one to practice. It really isn't practical, but same chr
into the 80s now so they are profitable.

Rick Cortese

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
"gil" <g...@uswest.net> wrote in message news:396E40BF...@uswest.net...

> This was back when picking and removing traps were easy to raise (before
> they nerfed non-jerk thief skills while at the same time bringing back
> stealing in melee and other jerk thief skills), I don't know if I
> errrrr I mean I don't know if he would do it now.

Yes, I also noticed that they eliminated that bug I talked about where by
random stealing from a noble/seeker with too much gold would get you all the
way into the thieves guild.

But I think you are the one who mentions how enviriomentally safe OSI is
because of the way they recycle their bugs. You now have to target their
pile of gold that is to big for you to steal to get the same effect.

They also fixed theiving in town such that there should be a new glut of
rares.

It is amazing how things like "You are already casting a spell" or "a
scroll" can stay in the game for months, but damn they drop everything and
juice thieves whenever there is even a slight problem. I don't think we have
ever had a non beneficial thief bug that lasted past the very next patch.

Ron Findling

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
>I just can't stop laughing while I write this. I can imagine the first time
>this dude uses one of those "Yellow Potions" when he needs it and finds out
>it only heals 4 points. He'll probably die several times before he bothers
>to use taste ID.

Did ya ever think that I'm - er HE is maybe an alchemist too, and
needed the bottles? ;-)

Kiril Threndor

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
In article <smrr2e...@corp.supernews.com>, Rick Cortese
<rico...@netmagic.net> writes

>IMNHO: Trades are kind of stuffed right now. Some work well like inscription
>and tinkering, but a lot of problems with everything else. I even regard the
>fast track to lumber jacking by fighting or sparing vs lumberjacking as a
>problem.

I'm having real mixed results with my merchant type (hate mule). I GM'ed
smithing fairly easily, only problem I had was buying ingots as I'm too
lazy for hours of digging.

Mining stands at 95. Something and may well stay there unless the latest
patch does in fact make gaining easier. I can only gain on valorite and
it is nigh on impossible to find the same colour ore in a spot twice on
Europa at the moment!

Tinkering is giving me a problem, 86 and not moving. I was making
lockpicks but after half a power hour and no gain I swapped to heating
stands and did the rest of PH for nothing. I thought it maye due to a
missing power hour or something but I tried the next day and after 15
minutes or so and still no gain I decided to do some carpentry.

I agree on getting enough logs being a problem. It takes me hours to
chop enough logs for a PH session at carpentry. I too am 70's and just
under the level of staffs. I seem to need about 3k logs for 1 point
gain.

I'll go try some tinkering now and see what happens.

Kiril Threndor
OGD SP

Ian A Kelley

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00

Well, that's in terms of basic skill gain, not in skill effectiveness. What I
was thinking was more along the lines of the following:

If everyone is a mage, and nobody is a shepherd, I would make nerf magery (make
spells less effective, take more regs, whatever) and make Herding a more
powerful and useful skill. If everyone is a Macer and nobody is an Archer, I
make Macing less effective and Archery more effective.

It's also not something that could be done just by looking at skill tables--who
has what skill--you'd have to see how it works in-game. I've noticed players
will tend to gravitate to three or four templates--what I would want to see is
select nerfing and juicing so that EVERY skill in the game is an equally
valuable one to have.

Not like that's EVER going to happen though. As someone who tended to do a lot
of useless skills, I can assure you, the ones nobody is doing OSI doesn't even
look at. When was the last time you saw a Cooking change? A Remove Trap change?
Herding?

---

Ian A Kelley

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:20:47 -0500, gil <g...@uswest.net> wrote:

>Rick Cortese wrote:
>>
>> Thing that really slows remove trap is you are spending more time as a ghost
>> then you are removing traps. I guess it is a good cheap skill for getting to
>> GM meditation, healing, and anatomy since you spend so much time resurecting
>> and bandaging at the healer. I believe remove trap because I have a
>> character with something like 70 in it on SP.
>

>I have a friend *whistles innocently* with a couple accounts/computers,
>and he'd *whistles innocently* have a mage char on one acct set to
>'follow' his lockpicker from the second acct. When the picker died from
>failing to remove traps, my friend *whistles innocently* would switch to
>the mage, rez the picker, and get right back to picking. It sped things
>up a lot, and the mage char benefited from the gating/rezzing.

Well, I only had one account, so basically what I did was tinker up a trapped
box with Toruneko (my main) and give it to Sasuke. (my thief) Sasuke would take
the box into the healers and start practicing. Since he only had 50ish strength,
the dart would kill him every time. Res--loot box off corpse--disarm--repeat. It
went fairly quickly. It was always entertaining when someone came into the
healers and saw 25 blue corpses on the ground--they always were dumbfounded how
it could happen. I actually took some screenshots of the carnage for fun--maybe
I'll post them on the web sometime.

Right before I got banned, I trained Sasuke's strength up into the 90s to see if
I could survive a dart when practicing Remove Trap. Never got the chance to try
it out though. I imagine around the 70s once the anti-macro code kicks in,
Remove Trap would be so painful to raise it wouldn't have been worth it though.

Ian A Kelley

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 05:38:43 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

>Whoops! Add to that that it doesn't work on multiple trapped item. For
>instance, I was using dugeon crates that had all three traps, poison dart
>and explosion, on them to go up so fast. If I would disarm the first trap it
>would show as safe even at GM scout, but opening it would set off the other
>traps. Makes it kind of back into the useless realm since you are just
>sitting there until you cast 3 telekinesis spells or one doesn't set off a
>trap.

Well, I don't imagine OSI ever imagined people to be using telekinesis to pop
chests back when they designed the system, so this little flaw never occured to
them.

>I do think 'remove trap' actually works like 'remove trapS', it seems to
>disarm multiple traps with one usage.

Yep, that it does. And the thing I've noticed, if you're successful at disarming
one trap, you automatically disarm them all. You never have a situation where
you disarm the first trap, and the second snags you. I have noticed that
multi-trapped boxes are MUCH more difficult to disarm though.

>Thing that really slows remove trap is you are spending more time as a ghost
>then you are removing traps. I guess it is a good cheap skill for getting to
>GM meditation, healing, and anatomy since you spend so much time resurecting
>and bandaging at the healer. I believe remove trap because I have a
>character with something like 70 in it on SP.

Well, I never actually bandaged. My thief's HP were so low to start with that I
knew I was going to die every time I failed, so I never bothered. I did notice
that my meditation kept shooting up every time I died, which was annoying. But
it is annoying in general how often you spend time in death trying to raise the
skill. Maybe they should introduce some sort of "disarming dummy" like a
pickpockets dip, that will let you raise your disarm to 50 or so without risking
your neck.

>I've gotten lockpicking to rise, but the only way it seems to go up is by
>having runes to every locked chest in the game including dungeons, and
>recalling to each one to practice. It really isn't practical, but same chr
>into the 80s now so they are profitable.

Well, seeing as how my thief was as dumb as a rock, with almost no magery, this
wasn't really an option for me. I failed recall most of the time even--no way he
could have marked a bunch of runes. He was too weak to even think about going
into a dungeon too. (though stealthing into dungeons looking for chests was my
ultimate goal for him) When he escorted Seekers of Adventure to Fire dungeon,
often he was slaughtered by entrance spawn before he could even get out.

Ian A Kelley

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:26:30 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

>Yes, I also noticed that they eliminated that bug I talked about where by
>random stealing from a noble/seeker with too much gold would get you all the
>way into the thieves guild.

When was this?

>But I think you are the one who mentions how enviriomentally safe OSI is
>because of the way they recycle their bugs. You now have to target their
>pile of gold that is to big for you to steal to get the same effect.

Do you actually steal the gold though? I remember before that when you random
stole from the noble/seeker, you would ALWAYS fail when going for the gold, but
when you target stole the gold, you would take a small pile.

>They also fixed theiving in town such that there should be a new glut of
>rares.

That's good. One thing I lamented about the Ren changes was that I wanted my
thief to be a semi-rares seeker, rummaging about through store chests, but never
could.

>It is amazing how things like "You are already casting a spell" or "a
>scroll" can stay in the game for months, but damn they drop everything and
>juice thieves whenever there is even a slight problem. I don't think we have
>ever had a non beneficial thief bug that lasted past the very next patch.

Well, skill gain for thieves is fubared, unless you want to join the guild and
steal from other people. It's hard to get your stealing above 70 or so if you
just want to stick from stealing from town chests and NPCs.

Rick Cortese

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
"Ron Findling" <ro...@direct.ca> wrote in message

No, you need bottles to take them out of the potion keg! That is, your
choices are only

"Buy one bottle for 6 gold and drink them all in the house to screw someone
over" or "Buy several hundred bottles for 6 gold each in order to steal the
potions".

The punch line is they were all low level potions that cost less to make
then to steal. I was trying to figure out how not to drop them in a trash
barrel and lose the bottle and how not to have to drink them<10 second delay
between any heals> so I could work up an alchemist mule and hit upon the
idea of dropping them into a potion keg.

Potion kegs do not give "A potion keg full of greater heals", they give
"Yellow liquid".

But that is Baja. It is really a contrast between Hokuto where I never
bothered to have anything locked down before decay was put in and no one
stole anything in a public house, and Baja where everyone runs through every
room of my public house looking for things to screw up.

Just had a really ugly episode last night too. I was playing before the 8 PM
housing patch and a couple of people were giving me a hassle trying to get
me to leave the area as it was "Theirs". The area I was at was the tile next
to my house.

I have to admit the thought of getting my tamer out with a tower deed so I
could release a dragon to take care of these jerks did cross my mind, but
OSI policy is that being a greedy asshole is OK, but releasing a dragon to
kill the same would be an exploit. Sometimes I don't like the rules, but I
still play by them.

I was there slightly after they placed the houses, they weren't there for 2
seconds before they ran off. I kind of suspect multiple accounts and they
had to place as many house for eBay as possible. They did give me a hint
they were in some kind of house placing consortium.

Nate

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
Kiril Threndor <ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Mining stands at 95. Something and may well stay there unless
the latest
>patch does in fact make gaining easier. I can only gain on
valorite and
>it is nigh on impossible to find the same colour ore in a spot
twice on
>Europa at the moment!

I'm assuming you mean verite, and you're wrong about only gaining
from it (unless there's a difference between pre and post UO:R
characters :-). From 95 to 99, I received most of my gains from
smelting bronze, gold, and agapite ore. Maybe I'm just lucky. I
seemed to gain a point a day in both mining and smithing... even
from 90 to 100.

Ian A Kelley

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:58:46 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
wrote:

>Sometime after UO:R, all you would need to do is get maybe 4-8 seekers or
>nobles and continually random steal from them to get into the 60s/thieves
>guild. You would have to keep each one for quite a while, but it worked and
>others did the same thing on different shards to verify it.

Yep, that's what I did--I got my thief into the 70s doing that. But after that,
gain completely halted.

>Nope, stealing is difficulty based, so attempting to steal a pile that is
>too big raises skill now.

Rats. Wish I was still around to try it. :)

>In addition, the old thieving perk of random stealing breaking huge piles of
>gold into stealable chunks automatically is working again so you have the
>best of both worlds. Target steal the pile for 15 minutes for skill gain,
>random steal 2-3 times to get the gold, hide for 2 minutes then take them to
>their destination for the payoff.

Well, it's working just the opposite then, but same effect--I would grab a
seeker/noble, random steal for gain, target the gold, hide, then deliver them.

>OSI has just reprogrammed the delay in escorting now, down to 5 minutes per
>escort. Not sure how I will adapt to that; don't need the gold, don't need
>the skill, don't enjoy running a thief that much because of the lack of
>challenge. It should make the gating thief able to do ~12 escorts per hour
>for 12k gold + magical loot. These are really the happy times for thieving
>if you need gold or loot.

Depends all on your shard. My thief used to selectively target--snooped all the
nobles/seekers on Jhelom, then picked the one with the juiciest item and
practiced off him/her. The challenge was there in that Jhelom is one of the
prime hangouts of the CCC, the biggest jerk guild on Catskills. I've been
noto'd by them practicing on escorts more times than I can count. It almost got
so they would attack me on sight, assuming I was perma-grey. Got some
guardwhacked, and handed out a couple of MCs because of those mistaken
assumptions.

The way I did it, the loot was good, but about on par with the other professions
in terms of profit per hour. Because it took me a good while to scope out a
mark, and I always escorted them to their destination, (and since I can't gate,
that meant through moongates/on foot) I only managed to do a few per hour, which
usually ended up roughly 3-4k/hr plus occasional magic item. If you do it "the
way it's supposed to be done" it's about right. Powergaming thieves could make
a heckuva lot more though I'd bet.

>Nope, was but fixed now that targetted stealing doesn't divide goal now.
>Somehow I just knew people at OSI were thinking "There just aren't enough
>thieves at banks anymore".

Or maybe the rumor that every OSI employee is a thief is true. :)

>I suppose there may come a time when you can't find a seeker with a pile
>over 800 gold, but between 50 and then it is good times. I am not sure if
>there will ever be a problem since I think at one time OSI had it so the max
>you could take was 500 gold or so.

Realistically though, who steals from escorts? Very few people. I always have
reams of them to choose from in Felluca. Most thieves steal from players, those
that want escort loot are killing them in Trammel.

>Only time I have stolen from another player is once from 1st to 2nd account
>to check out the perma gray thing. Grabbed a set of keys w/o being detected
>and THE THIEF STAYED BLUE to the mark. You no longer have an indication a
>thief has stolen something from you, only way to check is to keep your
>status screen open and watch the weight you are carrying.

Ugh. Realistically, it makes sense to do it that way though. I sure would have
liked it if the guy who pickpocketed me in the bus stop crowd in China had a big
grey sign over his head--would have made getting the wallet back a lot easier
than it was. :) But from a gameplay perspective--that sucks.

Kiril Threndor

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
In article <084a1be0...@usw-ex0107-055.remarq.com>, Nate
<nrussell3...@hotmail.com.invalid> writes

>I'm assuming you mean verite, and you're wrong about only gaining
>from it (unless there's a difference between pre and post UO:R
>characters :-). From 95 to 99, I received most of my gains from
>smelting bronze, gold, and agapite ore. Maybe I'm just lucky. I
>seemed to gain a point a day in both mining and smithing... even
>from 90 to 100.

I did mean verite and I haven't gained anything on agapite for ages,
this was all before today's patch though. I had a pile of agapite ore as
before the spawn changed, I had an agapite seam almost outside my door,
every time I logged on, I'd grab the shovel and keep the ore all piled
up ready for burst.

I went out mining today to get some ingots for tinkering. In 45 minutes,
non burst I gained .9 mining, to put me at 97 something. Not on any
particualr colour or even smelting, just digging up iron ore.

Rick Cortese

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:26:30 -0700, "Rick Cortese" <rico...@netmagic.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Yes, I also noticed that they eliminated that bug I talked about where by
> >random stealing from a noble/seeker with too much gold would get you all
the
> >way into the thieves guild.
> >
> When was this?

Don't know when it first happened, sometime after UO:R. I think we have a
pattern established here: After every patch that does anything to the thief
character we get a bunch of say we say 'slow' thieves that complain about
how thieving doesn't work, can't get it to raise, etcetera. For about the
last 2 years I have created a new new thief and checked it out. So far, I
have never had a problem.

Sometime after UO:R, all you would need to do is get maybe 4-8 seekers or
nobles and continually random steal from them to get into the 60s/thieves
guild. You would have to keep each one for quite a while, but it worked and
others did the same thing on different shards to verify it.

> >But I think you are the one who mentions how enviriomentally safe OSI is
> >because of the way they recycle their bugs. You now have to target their
> >pile of gold that is to big for you to steal to get the same effect.
> >
> Do you actually steal the gold though? I remember before that when you
random
> stole from the noble/seeker, you would ALWAYS fail when going for the
gold, but
> when you target stole the gold, you would take a small pile.

Nope, stealing is difficulty based, so attempting to steal a pile that is

too big raises skill now.

In addition, the old thieving perk of random stealing breaking huge piles of

gold into stealable chunks automatically is working again so you have the
best of both worlds. Target steal the pile for 15 minutes for skill gain,
random steal 2-3 times to get the gold, hide for 2 minutes then take them to
their destination for the payoff.

OSI has just reprogrammed the delay in escorting now, down to 5 minutes per

escort. Not sure how I will adapt to that; don't need the gold, don't need
the skill, don't enjoy running a thief that much because of the lack of
challenge. It should make the gating thief able to do ~12 escorts per hour
for 12k gold + magical loot. These are really the happy times for thieving
if you need gold or loot.

> Well, skill gain for thieves is fubared, unless you want to join the guild
and
> steal from other people. It's hard to get your stealing above 70 or so if
you
> just want to stick from stealing from town chests and NPCs.

Nope, was but fixed now that targetted stealing doesn't divide goal now.

Somehow I just knew people at OSI were thinking "There just aren't enough
thieves at banks anymore".

I suppose there may come a time when you can't find a seeker with a pile

over 800 gold, but between 50 and then it is good times. I am not sure if
there will ever be a problem since I think at one time OSI had it so the max
you could take was 500 gold or so.

Only time I have stolen from another player is once from 1st to 2nd account

kh...@icqmail.com

Jul 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/15/00
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 06:25:33 -0700, Nate
<nrussell3...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>kh...@icqmail.com wrote:

>>On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:56:48 -0700, "Rick Cortese"
>><rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Locked a couple of potion kegs down, didn't really need the
>potions since
>>>they weren't valuble, only 70ish alchemy and just starting to
>make GH with
>>>probably a 90% failure rate. So from zero up I was just dumping
>junk potions
>>>into the kegs, things like nightsight, regular heals.
>>
>>I'm just starting into GC's with that failure rate myself.
>(Only 75%
>>on the GHs :p ) Pain in the butt not knowing where to pick up
>some
>>potion kegs though. (And being unwilling to wander around some
>bank
>>spamming 'buying potion kegs...')
>
>What shard are you on? Shouldn't take too long to get a 50/50
>tinker/carpenter up to the level needed for kegs

LS, but I'm not about to start a mule just to support my other
character. Personal ideology.

Clement A. Knöll

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
in all likelyhood, these people consider themselves good roleplayers
"Hey, I'm a thief, thus I steal"...

Regards,
Clement