DD, what's <with> this, anyway?? guildstones in invalid locations

Geoffrey Hyde

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99

bizbee wrote in message <36cddfc0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...
>OK, someone suggested the other day that guildstones in invalid
>locations will be removed by a GM upon request.
>
>WRONG
>
>I asked today, and was told by GM Treefrog that they would only be
>removed at the guildmaster's request.
>
>Excuse me? I didn't want to contradict him, for fear of having my
>account banned, but why the hell would a guildmaster request the stone
>be removed, since he/she can do it themselves?
>
>I was out cruising, looking for housing locations. I found about five
>or six... all blocked by invalid guildstones. So I thought I'd ask.
>What the hell does "invalid" mean, anyway? Obviously there is
>absolutely NOTHING wrong with the location of the guildstone if no one
>is going to do anything about it. It just means <I> can't put one
>there....
>Removal disbands the guild? Tough shit. It's been months since these
>guildstones have begun causing problems. If the people are still using
>them, they know damn well they should be moved. Taking a bit of a less
>hardline stance, make it if anyone <at all> clicks on an invalid
>stone, the token for moving it appears in the GM's pack.
>So, once again, OSI snuggles up to the people who exploit the system,
>just like the vendors I see in front of private residences. These
>should be made so if <anyone> touches the vendor or speaks to it, it
>is redeeded and the deed appears in the owners pack.

There is a slight problem with this: Either all of the items the vendor is
carrying would fall to the ground, or they would all appear in the owner's
pack - some owners stock their vendors with LOTS of items, and since there
is a 400 stone limit on all containers, that means there is a possibility of
having your character being 400 stones overweight upon their next login...
Or possibly way more than that, if people had multiple vendors.

What I suggest is that (a) all items in vendors must be cleared out by their
owners, and that (b) vendors sould then go through a redeeding process, like
the housing update did, possibly with one or more stages. As for invalid
guildstones, OSI should take advantage of the server lag that would be
eliminated by having them and the guildmember's name list not being tracked
by the server, thus making it more enjoyable for those who want to actually
work on character development.

Possibly all invalid guildstones should reappear as a deed in the backpack
of the character who placed it, or alternatively in the backpack of the
current guildmaster of the guild that owns the guildstone.

>C'mon, guys, either shit or get off the pot. Make it so we can put
>guildstones anyplace, and vendors can simply be dropped out in the
>middle of the woods. Don't do it halfway, make it so we can <all> play
>the game.
>Getting rid of orphan/invalid vendors and stones just can't be that
>friggin tough.
>It's been months. C'mon.

Yes, OSI should be doing something about this, I have seen lots of vendors
that would have to go into houses, and be opened up for public use, by
people, thus making items more accessible for buying by others.

Cheers...

Geoffrey Hyde

Dundee

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:14:23 GMT, tub...@ix.netcom.com (bizbee)
wrote:

>Excuse me? I didn't want to contradict him, for fear of having my
>account banned, but why the hell would a guildmaster request the stone
>be removed, since he/she can do it themselves?

Kinda weird. The housing patch left home owners with guildstones in
their houses that weren't theirs. They paged GMs.

If you're not the guildmaster, you can't move the stone - by design.
Strangely enough, you can use a teleport-stone even if you aren't in
the guild, and put someone else's guildstone on your house. At that
time, you are stuck with the above situation. Page a GM. It is after
all, *your* house. You *should* be able to chop the stone. But you
can't. Only guildmasters can move stones.

So anyway, rather than deleting the stones, the GMs move them... to
invalid locations. Usually some nice clear spot near the house. Why?
I dunno. Saving some poor schmuck 15k, I guess.

Then you come along and tell the GM there's a stone in an invalid
location. Surprised he won't move it? Don't be. Heck, he might be
the one that put it there.

And that's the story of Why There Are So Many Guildstones in Invalid
Locations and Why GMs Won't Delete Them.

The End.

Tune in next week for the story of "Just How Many Different Kinds of
'A Scrolls' Do We Need, Anyway?"

(I've been collecting them!)

Dundee * Lake Superior * SkeptAck AT antisocial DOT com
uo stuff: http://dundee.uong.com
The Town of Skara Brae on LS: http:/members.xoom.com/skara/

Lord Queso

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
>OK, someone suggested the other day that guildstones in invalid
>locations will be removed by a GM upon request.

They will be, I do it all the time, same thing with invalid vendors.

The Respectable Queso, 100% Pure Moonglow Master Mage (Atlantic)
"Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read"
"No one ever seems to take responsibility for anything anymore, but don't quote
me on that"

Skinner

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99

bizbee wrote in message <36d31017...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...
>On 20 Feb 1999 16:53:32 GMT, lord...@aol.comNOSPAM (Lord Queso) set
>down his beer, belched, wiped the drool from his chin and blurted:

>>>OK, someone suggested the other day that guildstones in invalid
>>>locations will be removed by a GM upon request.
>>>

>>They will be, I do it all the time, same thing with invalid vendors.
>>

>So you're saying the GM lied to me... why doesn't this surprise me? I
>mean, given the fact that he made the comment that "They will only do
>it for the guildmaster...." how stupid is that? This goes back to the
>days of "constructive use", when one GM would put the guys in jail,
>and the next one would stand there and watch and say "I see nothing
>wrong.... farewell."
>Do you suppose that GMs ever actually all sit down in the same room
>together and have a "meeting"? Perhaps do something constructive like
>"discuss policy"? This certainly isn't the first time I've seen two
>diametrically opposite comments from different GMs....
>So, now you've got me goin... it's <my> turn to lie to the GMs... I'm
>going to try this again today, and if I get any crap, I'll tell them
>that GMs do it for me all the time! See how they respond to that!
>(no doubt the response will be ignoring me....)
>
>RAPH!! You ever talk to the GMs? I think they could make your life a
>little easier if they were a little more cooperative about shit like
>this! Come here and tell US that they do it, and then when I talk to
>them I can truthfully say "But Raph Koster said you're supposed to!"

I'm not trying to add more fuel to the fire but, Last month I came across a
clearing just the right size for a small house. There just happened to be a
guild stone sitting right in the middle of it. I paged a GM and asked "
Could you please remove this guildstone so I can attempt to place a house
here." Less then 2 minutes later it vanished. I never saw any sign of a GM,
received any message, nothing. I said thanks and placed the house. This was
on Yamato. I'm almost sure the house it was in had collapsed since there
were no clear areas there 2 days before. I don't know what this particular
GM was thinking when he told you that. They *CAN* move a invalid guildstone,
no questions asked, if they want to. My house wouldn't be there if they
couldn't. Does each shard have it's own GMs or do they cover all shards?
Maybe another GM might be more "willing" to help you out. It's only my
opinion but I think any guildstone not in a valid location should be
automatically deleted after 24 hrs. from the last time the guildmaster is
logged on.

Skinner

Dundee

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:42:03 GMT, tub...@ix.netcom.com (bizbee)
wrote:

>Yeah, but this is just stupid.... I'm curious how the owner of the
>stone is supposed to find it after it's been moved....

They put it some place close. Before, it might have been in a house
where he couldn't even access it.

>Also, homes are decaying around where I live, leaving a stone behind
>to block the spot for future placement... this is what the biggest
>problem is now...

As soon as the Guildmaster access the stone, he'll get a transport
stone.

>Of course, the question remains, instead of moving the stone to an
>invalid location (just what the hell is an "invalid location" if it
>quite OBVIOUSLY isn't invalid.....?), why not put a transport stone in
>the guildmaster's pack? Seems <awfull> goddamn easy to me.

As you pointed out, the guild might not even *have* a guildmaster.

The first time a guildmaster accesses a stone in an invalid location,
he gets the transport stone.

But, when you get a transport stone, the guildstone doesn't vanish. A
transport stone appears in your pack, you go to a valid location, use
it, and your guildstone moves from the old location to the new one.

>As for saving some poor schmuck 15K, well, in reality, I'd say "who
>gives a damn?"

Not me, that's for sure. I say just delete the things.

>Can't do it my ass. I find a BIG difference in the comments "Can't do
>it" and "Not allowed to do it..." and in the latter case, the person
>should be referred to someone who can review the situation, whether it
>be contact by email or whatever.

I think they should just delete them. What's 15k for a *guild*
anyway? Surely even a small number of people can cough-up that much.

Richard Cortese

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99

bizbee wrote:
<snip>
> But I think that intuitively we all know that most of these stones
> belong to people who are no longer in the game, or simply deleted the
> character that was the guildmaster, or the guildmaster quit the guild,
> leaving an uncontrollable stone (which in itself is a really stupid
> setup... OSI needs to attend to this too... if there's no one else in
> the guild, the stone disappears... if there is, then the person with
> the most fealty pledged automatically becomes the GM... if fealty is
> pledged to no one else, then, again, the stone disappears. I hardly
> consider this unreasonable... it's a hell of a lot more reasonable
> than most the other shit we put up with). Long ago a guild I was in
> had this problem. The GM quit, assuming that the GMship would go to
Guild stone is in front of my newbie training hut/inn. Been there for
months, but the Guild Master changed servers & never came back. Thing
attracts the wrong kind of losers. They think the free hut is a guild
house, so they attack everyone that uses it in some deranged guild war
ethos.

Every once in a while I think about redeeding the house just so I could
get rid of that friggin stone. Maybe I will try asking a GM. I think I
have been taken off their screw on sight list after the last go round
with shuffling counselors.

But yeah! System could be much better. Darn stones are harder to get rid
of then vendors. They should be made worse then vendors & houses. That
is, charge daily fee, decay, maybe even be steal able. <grin> This guild
is in danger of collapsing.