Any market for tamed beasts?

1 view

Jim York

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Hello all. I'm new to UO and started up as an animal trainer. I have half
a dozen bears, a couple wolves, and a cougar stabled up, but no cash. Is
there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
afford my stabling fees?

Thanks!

Bane of Greywind

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
>Hello all. I'm new to UO and started up as an animal trainer. I have half
>a dozen bears, a couple wolves, and a cougar stabled up, but no cash.

LOL!! No wonder you are broke!

>Is
>there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
>afford my stabling fees?

No one, and I mean NO ONE cares about your tamed animals. The
only tamed animal worth trying to sell is A) a horse, B) an ostard,
C) a dragon/drake, or D) a nightmare. Unless you have one of those
you are flushing your gp down the toilet by stabling them.

.../Baja

d'Artagnarg

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

>>Is
>>there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
>>afford my stabling fees?
>
>No one, and I mean NO ONE cares about your tamed animals. The
>only tamed animal worth trying to sell is A) a horse, B) an ostard,
>C) a dragon/drake, or D) a nightmare. Unless you have one of those
>you are flushing your gp down the toilet by stabling them.
>

>.../Baja

I told this story a few weeks ago, but since it relates to the market
question, I'll repeat it briefly here. I once sold a tamed timber wolf for
827 gp. I was amazed myself and don't expect that to happen again, but it
did. So if you are lucky, you can make some money with it. But generally
speaking, Bane is right. Only the mounts (horses, ostard, rideable llamas
and nightmares) and the really ferocious monsters are interesting for the
average player. You don't need much skill for the mounts. With 40 - 50 in
taming, you have a decent chance of succes. The dragons, that's another
story (as are the nightmares, by the way). So if you want to make money as a
tamer, you'd better get really good at it! :-) I have found it usefull to
tame wolfs in my early days, as body guards or hunting assistents. You soon
outgrow them, though.

Yarahu Akhbar

Nicktenor

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
In article <20000123154758...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

wes...@aol.comNOSPAM (Bane of Greywind) writes:

>LOL!! No wonder you are broke!

<irony mode>

Ah, it's nice to see someone being kind and helpful to a newbie without making
them feel about 2 inches tall.

</irony mode>

>>Is
>>there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
>>afford my stabling fees?
>
>No one, and I mean NO ONE cares about your tamed animals. The
>only tamed animal worth trying to sell is A) a horse, B) an ostard,
>C) a dragon/drake, or D) a nightmare. Unless you have one of those
>you are flushing your gp down the toilet by stabling them.

What our friendly friend doesn't say is that pack llamas are also extremely
valuable. My early indications are that you can easily expect to get from 200 -
400 gp each for them; horses, pack or rideable ditto.

However, friendly advice is that it's almost certainly not worth stabling
anything other than those things listed.

However, as someone slightly more helpful wrote, bears and wolves are very
useful as hunting companions and/or guards on a trip. You might sell them to
lone travellers if you wait just outside a larger town.

Best of luck with your taming and playing. Which shard are you on?

Nicktenor, Apprentice tamer, Europa.

Richard Cortese

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Jim York <jy...@uswest.net> wrote in message

> Hello all. I'm new to UO and started up as an animal trainer. I have
half
> a dozen bears, a couple wolves, and a cougar stabled up, but no cash. Is

> there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
> afford my stabling fees?
No, this not the way it is done. Easier if you have taming and animlore into
the 60s, but between starting and 60 you don't get a good enough beast
except horses and there is no secure way of trading horses so...

At just over 60 you will be able to tame a grizzly. Tame two of them, take
them to a spawn area<if they aren't in a spawn area to begin with> and have
them kill everything, but mostly monsters with loot. I have had two
grizzlies kill an Air Elemental with just a bit of help from my tamer. One
of them died, but the elemental had over 400 gold so that eased my pain.
Plenty of other grizzlies in the area, so no big loss.

Recently I have been fooling around with the veterinary skill. It works
supprisingly well, couple of bandaids and you can kill an ettin with a brown
bear. You can also kill magic using monsters, but you have to cure poison
via a spell AFAIK.

In between 60 and the next good pet you can get is 35 points of taming. You
are mostly functional in that range due to the grizzlies, but only for
surface spawn like Orcs, trolls, ettins, that kind of stuff.

> Thanks!
You're welcome! Let's us know if you make it to 95.

Jim York

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Not too long after I got the first response, I actually sold a Gorilla that
I was practicing animal lore on to a kind traveller in moonglow. Made 300
gold of that, so I'd have to say there isn't much of a market at all, but
you never know.

I'm playing on Baja right now with some friends of mine. This is the first
MMORPG I've ever played, and so far I'm very very impressed.

Thanks for the help!

--Pex-Corrh

"Nicktenor" <nick...@aol.comnota> wrote in message

> In article <20000123154758...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
> wes...@aol.comNOSPAM (Bane of Greywind) writes:
>

> >LOL!! No wonder you are broke!
>
> <irony mode>
>
> Ah, it's nice to see someone being kind and helpful to a newbie without
making
> them feel about 2 inches tall.
>
> </irony mode>
>

> >>Is
> >>there a market at all for trained beasties, or do I have to deversify to
> >>afford my stabling fees?

Quaestor

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> At just over 60 you will be able to tame a grizzly. Tame two of them, take
> them to a spawn area<if they aren't in a spawn area to begin with> and have
> them kill everything, but mostly monsters with loot. I have had two
> grizzlies kill an Air Elemental with just a bit of help from my tamer. One
> of them died, but the elemental had over 400 gold so that eased my pain.
> Plenty of other grizzlies in the area, so no big loss.

Fun part about using bears, grizzlies are some of the big boyz about taking
damage, and that give you the time to kill the monster. Also, you put Reactivc
Armor on them, and the monster pounds itself to death. Especially good against
ettin, troll, and the four basic elementals. And air's are indeed nice to
kill. In one 20-minute period with Kai Du and a wyrm I cleared over 10k in
Shame 2, and got maps, magic items, and raised resist. But I digress.

> Recently I have been fooling around with the veterinary skill. It works
> supprisingly well, couple of bandaids and you can kill an ettin with a brown
> bear. You can also kill magic using monsters, but you have to cure poison
> via a spell AFAIK.

Same here. Kai Du has 10 Vet (but 100 AL), and can do as much healing with one
bandaid at 2.1 gp as with 12 gp of regs using GHeal (she's master mage). So
when today my wyrm got poisoned while fighting about 12 orcs, and I was away
from him for a couple minutes, he got down almost half, and I fully healed him
up for about 14 gp. Vet, even at low numbers, is very nice to have. With a
little more, you can indeed have one griz fight a troll alongside you and win.

> In between 60 and the next good pet you can get is 35 points of taming. You
> are mostly functional in that range due to the grizzlies, but only for
> surface spawn like Orcs, trolls, ettins, that kind of stuff.

They are ok against skeletons and rats. Against anything else underground,
nope. But the most important thing youget from grizzlies may be none of the
above. By towing two of them around you learn a lot about maneuvering your
pets. When I started out I could just control a dragon, and tried using it for
help while taming. It got in the way, got stuck, went off on its own, was
generally a nuisance. A few weeks of using grizzlies taught me plenty, as well
as helping raise my taming. Now I tame and hunt everywhere all the time with a
dragon, driving it around as a second nature, having little problem. A lot of
really experienced tamers claim they don't like to hunt or tame with dragons
because they get in the way. The experience is worth a lot.

Uwe Fischer

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Jim York <jy...@uswest.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
ui8j4.967$755....@news.uswest.net...

> Not too long after I got the first response, I actually
sold a Gorilla that
> I was practicing animal lore on to a kind traveller in
moonglow. Made 300
> gold of that, so I'd have to say there isn't much of a
market at all, but
> you never know.
>
> I'm playing on Baja right now with some friends of mine.
This is the first
> MMORPG I've ever played, and so far I'm very very
impressed.

And now the market for tamed animals is completely dead with
the new patch. Tamed animals can´t be transfered anymore
towards people, who don´t have the necessary skill in taming
and animal lore. But if I had the skills, I would tame the
animals by my own and not buying them. I tried it with some
tamer-friends yesterday night. No chance for any of my
characters to get a horse from them:(

Regards
Grizwood, Seneschall (MTB), Drachenfels
For Baphomet with fire and sword!

BTC: Baphometic Trade Center Drachenfels
http://internetjunk.com/users/baphomet/
MTB: Militia Templum Baphomet
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/autumnvision/

Richard Cortese

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Uwe Fischer <fisch...@cityweb.de> wrote in message

> Jim York <jy...@uswest.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> ui8j4.967$755....@news.uswest.net...
> > Not too long after I got the first response, I actually
> sold a Gorilla that
> > I was practicing animal lore on to a kind traveller in
> moonglow. Made 300
> > gold of that, so I'd have to say there isn't much of a
> market at all, but
> > you never know.
> >
> > I'm playing on Baja right now with some friends of mine.
> This is the first
> > MMORPG I've ever played, and so far I'm very very
> impressed.
>
> And now the market for tamed animals is completely dead with
> the new patch. Tamed animals can´t be transfered anymore
> towards people, who don´t have the necessary skill in taming
> and animal lore. But if I had the skills, I would tame the
> animals by my own and not buying them. I tried it with some
> tamer-friends yesterday night. No chance for any of my
> characters to get a horse from them:(
Does the "all release" lower the taming threashold for animals still?

I always prep my horses this way so my other characters can tame them at 0.0
so I will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't work anymore.

Quaestor

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Richard Cortese wrote:

> Does the "all release" lower the taming threashold for animals still?

It now raises it. But anyone who ever tamed a critter can get no more gain from
it. And retamed critters have a higher orneriness factor.

Great design, this.

> I always prep my horses this way so my other characters can tame them at 0.0
> so I will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't work anymore.

It is difficult to imagine what they were thinking without conjuring up visions
of nazis.