The gating of monsters

Curtis Koele

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
I for one would like to be able to go to a "newbie area" and not fight the most
difficult mosters. I will take the risk of PKs now that the Rep patch is in
(that makes every area at least somewhat unpredictable).

But if you want stronger mosters go find them. The people gating them know
where they are if you want more interesting game play then go out and find it!
Does everything have to come to you?

make a guild, start a guild war with a few of your closest enemies or maybe
even
your friends. That should make things interesting.

Philip Huskisson wrote:

> I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???
>
> UO are going to remove it from gameplay .. I have never tried it yet but
> many a time in a dungeon have I seen a gate open and in a came a poison
> ellie and lich .. quite a few times I got copped as well .. there have been
> so many changes for the worse in this game in the months I have been playing
> it's becoming just a like a computer game rather than a multiplayer game.
> Where is all the randomness gone .. is Ultima ONline destined to become a
> game of going to overcrowded dungeons to wait for slow respawns of very
> predictable monsters booooooring ..
>
> --
> [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
> [] Warmest Regards Philip Huskisson
> [] mailto:phil...@usa.net
> []

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: Mutual Telephone Company (1:129/150.99)

Lifegiver

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Dennis F. Heffernan wrote:

> Philip Huskisson wrote in message <6nsakd$j7s$1...@s3000-01.magna.com.au>...

> |I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???
>
> No, I'm sure the other PKs don't want it removed either.

Primus, Dennis. Is everyone who dosn't agree with you AUTOMATICALLY a
PK?

Granted, I don't think that gating a poison elemental in Despise, or a
ettin in yur castle for a sparring partner are such hot ideas either,
but I don't like your lumping your critics into the same PK mold.

DarkMatrix 'need help for Despise' CorpseTearer, Pacific
Marrukah, Minoc, Catskills

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Runeworks (1:129/150.99)

Dennis F. Heffernan

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Lifegiver wrote in message <35A264...@pacific.telebyte.com>...

|Primus, Dennis. Is everyone who dosn't agree with you AUTOMATICALLY a
|PK?

No, just the people who complain about the loss of tactics only useful
to PKs and other cheaters.

Dennis F. Heffernan UO: Venture (Catskills) Dennis.H...@gte.net
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"You bitch about the present and blame it on the past/I'd like to find your
inner child and kick its little ass!" - D. Henley/G. Frey, "Get Over It"

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: gte.net (1:129/150.99)

El Lèmur

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Philip Huskisson wrote:

> I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???

No. I as well as many other people who are NOT abusing it do
not wish to see it go.

> UO are going to remove it from gameplay .. I have never tried it yet but
> many a time in a dungeon have I seen a gate open and in a came a poison
> ellie and lich .. quite a few times I got copped as well .. there have been
> so many changes for the worse in this game in the months I have been playing
> it's becoming just a like a computer game rather than a multiplayer game.
> Where is all the randomness gone .. is Ultima ONline destined to become a
> game of going to overcrowded dungeons to wait for slow respawns of very
> predictable monsters booooooring ..

I think that perhaps you should not be able to gate a monster from
Dungeon A to Dungeon B, because a lot of people are complaining about
it. And I don't think that monsters should enter houses, but I DON'T
see what is wrong in gating, say, a daemon into a circle of chests to
experiment to find the best way of killing them in a controlled
circumstance.

--
. . Lemur Dragon
* oo www.udic.org

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Coalition Of Attack Lemurs (COAL) (1:129/150.99)

Jeremy Kasdorf

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Im Glad someone is for gating. I am neither a gater or a PK and I still
enjoy gating. If you see a gate (even with my Computer wich freezes up
every time a spell is casted) you have a few seconds to hide. I just
hit my hide macro, uif omeone is just gating in I go unhiden. If a drake
or something comes, I stay hidden. This ussually means a newbie or two
has to run in sheer terror, but that is the only real danger left in
dungeons before it becomes as safe as the bank. Covetous is the safest,
easiest place (Harpy room I am talking about) and it is the best place
to see gates. If the newbies can't hide, then they should learn. It
isn't hard. Have a stupid hide macro and press it every three seconds
as you walk, or you can buy it up to 30 or so. You might argue that
some newbies don't have the time to learn hiding, or they are too new
and have no real skills, then I would argue one simple point...
They Do Not Belong In The Dungeons! If you can't stand dieing because
of a gate and you can't hide because you have created the character less
than a day ago, then don't go. You can't go to a dungeon with 50 combat
skill. You can in this game because there are 10 peopoe fighting a
harpy, so gating has evened it out like PKing evened it out under the
old system. If some newbie posts in objection to this, I just want to
say, tough luck. If you object to not being able to go to the dungeon
on the first day, who cares? Can anyone remember what they did the
firstday of their characters exsistance? Probably try killing a rabbit
or two, or mining, or tailoring, or capentering (and losing money too)

So if you just skipped all that, what 'm trying to say is that Gating is
the only real form of difficulty left in the game besides scrambling
towards the monster to get the last hit, and getting the nice little
pile of gold coins or sometimes a scroll or sparkly gem.

Gandalf The Grey, Expert Tailor
Pacific

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: @Home Network Member (1:129/150.99)

Rob Beckett

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Dennis F. Heffernan wrote:

> Philip Huskisson wrote in message <6nsakd$j7s$1...@s3000-01.magna.com.au>...
>>I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???
>
> No, I'm sure the other PKs don't want it removed either.

While I think it's stupid to gate monsters into newbie dungons too,
that's not the only use for gating monsters. I happen to enjoy fight
night's against monsters. I'm a miner and may never venture into a
dungon. I did have a chance to see a drake once that was gated to
Oasis and it was great. Also what about tamers? Do they have to walk
tamed creatures from on place to another? OSI need's to fix dungon
gating of them without breaking the useful gates.

Rob a.k.a ASlon (Sonoma)

Remove(remove.this) to reply by e-mail.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof,
because fools are so ingenious."
Roger Berg

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: ProtoSource Network (1:129/150.99)

Matt Allan Miller

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
In article <35A1DA31...@cyberenet.net>,
Bobby Flipping <bob...@cyberenet.net> wrote:

>Philip Huskisson wrote:
>>
>> I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???
>>

>> UO are going to remove it from gameplay .. I have never tried it yet but
>> many a time in a dungeon have I seen a gate open and in a came a poison
>> ellie and lich .. quite a few times I got copped as well .. there have been
>> so many changes for the worse in this game in the months I have been playing
>> it's becoming just a like a computer game rather than a multiplayer game.
>> Where is all the randomness gone .. is Ultima ONline destined to become a
>> game of going to overcrowded dungeons to wait for slow respawns of very
>> predictable monsters booooooring ..
>>

>WOW, THE VOICES ARE GETTING LOUDER. Could it be I may be on to
>something. Phillip, tell those that you know to post their feelings
>here. I think that there's a slim chance that this game can be
>resurected. But if you don't get the players here to voice it - and OSI
>READS THIS BOARD - it will never happen. It doesn't matter what their
>positions are on the issues, just get them here to post it. The game
>needs challenge. I think the hard core gamers haven't posted because
>they've either given up and quit, or are too busy trying to find ways to
>enjoy the game instead of writing about it. You have to get your
>message to OSI and this board is an avenue to do that.

Yeah it's great that people can gate in monsters to kill newbies and take
their stuff. That's just terrific. Sorry Bob
your in the minority. The poll at UHOC showed the rep system being supported by
88%. The game has challange, you can still PvP
in guild wars. And if you really really want to, you can murder. Some of us
have enough imangination to find ways to have fun
without any combat at all.

-Matt Miller

Matt Miller | http://pw2.netcom.com/~matmillr | a.a#357
Admirable Vanir of Sonoma on UO
"He was like a golden seal, he fucking shimmered"
-Might magazine on the "death" of Adam Rich

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: ICGNetcom (1:129/150.99)

Garrold

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
> If the newbies can't hide, then they should learn. It
>isn't hard
>You might argue that
>some newbies don't have the time to learn hiding, or they are too new
>and have no real skills, then I would argue one simple point...
>They Do Not Belong In The Dungeons!

Yeah, but my characters got 60.1 hiding and I still failed 3 times in a row
while SUN merrily gated creatures in. Tough luck too or should I get it up
to 90 odd before I go to the easier levels again? Perhaps you haven't
experienced this sort of fun and games yet, but that added to lag isn't just
a problem for complete newbies as you seem to imply.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Pavilion Interent USENET Server (1:129/150.99)

Richard Cortese

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Matt Allan Miller wrote:
<snip>

> Yeah it's great that people can gate in monsters to kill newbies and
take their stuff. That's just terrific. Sorry Bob
> your in the minority. The poll at UHOC showed the rep system being supported
by 88%. The game has challange, you can still PvP
> in guild wars. And if you really really want to, you can murder. Some of us
have enough imangination to find ways to have fun
> without any combat at all.

-Matt Miller

In support of your comment that the game is difficult enough if you know
where to look. Saw one of those lonely vendors, the ones that have had
their houses they were standing next to go, all their items sold, but
they hang on until their pay runs out. I went through his empty boxes &
pouches & low & behold, the only items left on him after what looks like
months of standing near Vesper are maybe 6-10 runes to Destard! I have
heard of PKs going to Destard, but never inside & they never attack a
full party going in either. They just hang at the entrance hiding until
someone with only a few hit points straggles out. For people that
haven't been there, Destard has a huge open area with very little to
hang a drake up for exploiting the failures of monster AI to go around
an obstruction. Blade Spirit can still be useful, but you had better be
ready to take some serious damage. Drakes buzz around in there like
flies at a picnic. It was ok back when the monsters weren't quite so
ready to attack, but now that just being there gets them riled they
start attacking before they even get on the screen. Kind of a neat
place. I get lost in the feelings I have just running & hiding among the
drakes & dragons I have found there, forget about killing them! Keep
that recall spell ready for when hiding fails!

> Matt Miller | http://pw2.netcom.com/~matmillr | a.a#357
> Admirable Vanir of Sonoma on UO
> "He was like a golden seal, he fucking shimmered"
> -Might magazine on the "death" of Adam Rich

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: AT&T WorldNet Services (1:129/150.99)

Jeremy Kasdorf

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Garrold wrote:

> > If the newbies can't hide, then they should learn. It
> >isn't hard
> >You might argue that
> >some newbies don't have the time to learn hiding, or they are too new
> >and have no real skills, then I would argue one simple point...
> >They Do Not Belong In The Dungeons!
>
> Yeah, but my characters got 60.1 hiding and I still failed 3 times in a row
> while SUN merrily gated creatures in. Tough luck too or should I get it up
> to 90 odd before I go to the easier levels again? Perhaps you haven't
> experienced this sort of fun and games yet, but that added to lag isn't just
> a problem for complete newbies as you seem to imply.

I Have experienced this al too many times. I find tht this is the last
random act in the entire game as far as I am concerned. If you have any
evidence of other random parts of the game, then tell me so. Please.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

Damocles

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
MSGID:
<NG00.F8EAFB3C0425F681.30216...@library-proxy.airnews.
net> 00000382
From: phae...@yahoo.com (Damocles)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:27:10 -0400, "Dennis F. Heffernan"
<Dennis.H...@gte.net> wrote:

>Lifegiver wrote in message <35A264...@pacific.telebyte.com>...
>|Primus, Dennis. Is everyone who dosn't agree with you AUTOMATICALLY a
>|PK?
>

> No, just the people who complain about the loss of tactics only useful
>to PKs and other cheaters.

I used to gate monsters into the cemetery north of Britain. Everyone
loved it, especially the newbies. This was back before the rep patch
and it was often the only way they could get to fight monsters without
worrying about pks. Gating a Hythloth orc spawn in was great fun
(though extremely dangerous, which is why I gave it up...died too
often.)

Look out my window, what do I see?
Crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me.
All the nightmares came today,
And it looks as though they're here to stay.

- David Bowie, "Oh You Pretty Things"

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Airnews! at Internet America (1:129/150.99)

El Lèmur

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Rob Beckett wrote:

> Dennis F. Heffernan wrote:
> >
> > Philip Huskisson wrote in message <6nsakd$j7s$1...@s3000-01.magna.com.au>...
> >>I am alone in NOT wanting to see this practice abolished ???
> >
> > No, I'm sure the other PKs don't want it removed either.
> >

> While I think it's stupid to gate monsters into newbie dungons too,
> that's not the only use for gating monsters. I happen to enjoy fight
> night's against monsters. I'm a miner and may never venture into a
> dungon. I did have a chance to see a drake once that was gated to
> Oasis and it was great. Also what about tamers? Do they have to walk
> tamed creatures from on place to another? OSI need's to fix dungon
> gating of them without breaking the useful gates.

Yes. They should make it impossible to gate them into
dungeons. That's all.

--
. . Lemur Dragon
* oo www.udic.org

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

Marc Welsh

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Shouldn't dungeons be very dangerous?
Also, shouldn't they keep everyone on their toes?
True that some are abusing it, but at least you have a couple seconds
either to hide or recall before that creature comes through the gate. And
i believe it's truly a unique way to do battle. just because everyone can't
do it doesn't make it wrong.
And if the "sun" guild is doing it why don't you do it back at them?
newbies have no business in dungeons anyway. i remember going to my first
dungeon fully expecting to die. guess what? the big fat ogre didn't
dissapoint me either. if they truly do change this, this is one more knock
on the mage and i don't know how many more i can stand.....
--
"Victim is your name, and you shall fall."

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

Unknown

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
In article <6nua3r$5ns$1...@grind.server.pavilion.net>,

"Garrold" <nore...@thanks.com> wrote:
> > If the newbies can't hide, then they should learn. It
> >isn't hard
> >You might argue that
> >some newbies don't have the time to learn hiding, or they are too new
> >and have no real skills, then I would argue one simple point...
> >They Do Not Belong In The Dungeons!
>
> Yeah, but my characters got 60.1 hiding and I still failed 3 times in a row
> while SUN merrily gated creatures in. Tough luck too or should I get it up
> to 90 odd before I go to the easier levels again? Perhaps you haven't
> experienced this sort of fun and games yet, but that added to lag isn't just
> a problem for complete newbies as you seem to imply.

Well. I just have to add my voice. Gating of anything but tame creatures
should be impossible. I am tired of going to Coveteous only to find 5 people
standing outsides becuase some lame blue murderer has gated in a poison
elemental. It is just another exploit that is used by murderers who are too
chickenshit to be turned red for their deeds. Granted, good characters have
fun gating too and don't do it just for looting the dead but this is getting
ridiculous. This whole game is being taken over by exploiters. OSI needs to
take a MUCH harder stand on these people. Before the rep system it was EV's
and BS. Then it was bunnies guarding chests. Now it is gated monsters and
polymorphed orcs. What's next?? Some kind of spell that makes you explode
when you say, "Vendor Bank Buy Guards." No, wait, that would be good....

Big Ed the Bad

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Deja News - The Leader in Internet Discussion (1:129/150.99)

Lifegiver

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Before they make monsters ungatable, here's a little trick that I would
like to do. It's ingredients are: a rune to Coveteous' Harpy Room, the
spells (or scrolls) Gate and Polymorph (into a demon), and a pair of
linked Comm Crystals. Just let the Polymorphee through the gate first
with a activated Commstone, and listen to the people PANIC!! Also, you
might get the dungeon to yurself.

DarkMatrix 'yes, I'm bored' CorpseTearer, Yew, Pacific

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

* Origin: Runeworks (1:129/150.99)

Lifegiver

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
El Lčmur wrote:

> Lifegiver wrote:
> >
> > Before they make monsters ungatable, here's a little trick that I would
> > like to do. It's ingredients are: a rune to Coveteous' Harpy Room, the
> > spells (or scrolls) Gate and Polymorph (into a demon), and a pair of
> > linked Comm Crystals. Just let the Polymorphee through the gate first
> > with a activated Commstone, and listen to the people PANIC!! Also, you
> > might get the dungeon to yurself.
>
> Great idea! May I suggest one other thing? Have the polymorphed
> quaff a healing potion--it turns him from a poly'd daemon into
> a daemon with a sword (in appearances only).

Ooooooh, never thought of that. >:>

Too bad you can't make a polymorphed form black (as in regular black,
not true, which is BO-RING!). Now THAT would REALLY get people going.
>:>

DarkMatrix 'gonna try Despise again' CorpseTearer, Yew, Pacific
Marrukah, Minoc, Catskills

Palehorse

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Gating monsters doesnt only affect the newbies. i am a seasoned warrior and
went into despise and someone had gated tons and tons of monsters and hid.
like several giant snakes. I know this couldnt have been a spawn point
because it is usually never this bad. and giant snakes are rare. now even a
seasoned warrior and his crew cant handle a ton of giant snakes. one of my
friends was logged off at the wrong moment and died and it also killed a
master swordsman. oh yes i also noticed it was a monster trap because there
were two pks on my guilds kill on sight list we coulda fought htem if they
didnt have all those annoyin giant snakes. then while some of my friends
were battling off snakes the pks walked up and decided to attack my friends
while the monsters were also attacking.
-----
jedw...@sos.state.tx.us wrote in message
<6o0jd2$vlr$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...