rennaissance, is it britannia?

Myrex

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Having not even tried the rennaissance test shard yet - I have only been playing UO for two weeks, could anyone tell me if the new lands introduced are a copy of britannia? ie, is it britain, moonglow, minoc etc... but with no PKing and no looting? If so, i like that idea, as it is incredibly frustrating to work on a characters inventory for so long, be on the way to bank it and die, losing most of what i have... I mean, for a new character - just the monsters are challenging enough..

lordsh...@my-deja.com

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Yup, same cities.

In article <38fc33b9$1...@news.jakinternet.co.uk>,
"Myrex" <al...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BFA926.B91E8620

> Having not even tried the rennaissance test shard yet - I have only

been =
> playing UO for two weeks, could anyone tell me if the new lands =

> introduced are a copy of britannia? ie, is it britain, moonglow,

minoc =

> etc... but with no PKing and no looting? If so, i like that idea, as

it =

> is incredibly frustrating to work on a characters inventory for so

long, =

> be on the way to bank it and die, losing most of what i have... I

mean, =

> for a new character - just the monsters are challenging enough..
>

> ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BFA926.B91E8620

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having not even tried the
rennaissance =
> test shard=20

> yet - I have only been playing UO for two weeks, could anyone tell me

if =
> the new=20

> lands introduced are a copy of britannia? ie, is it britain,

moonglow, =
> minoc=20

> etc... but with no PKing and no looting? If so, i like that idea, as

it =
> is=20

> incredibly frustrating to work on a characters inventory for so long,

be =
> on the=20

> way to bank it and die, losing most of what i have... I mean, for a

new=20
> character - just the monsters are challenging enough..</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BFA926.B91E8620--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Opium

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
> Having not even tried the rennaissance test shard yet - I have only
> been playing UO for two weeks, could anyone tell me if the new lands

> introduced are a copy of britannia? ie, is it britain, moonglow, minoc
> etc... but with no PKing and no looting? If so, i like that idea, as
> it is incredibly frustrating to work on a characters inventory for so
> long, be on the way to bank it and die, losing most of what i have...
> I mean, for a new character - just the monsters are challenging
> enough..

Where's the point playing a game where you can't lose anything?
Oh well that's an old discussion :-)

btw. please don't post in HTML.

According to OSI the new lands will be a complete copy of Britannia
with just some minor modifications. All cities and dungeons will be
there.

Barnaby Madgett

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
(HTML removed)

Yep, it's a direct copy of Britannia and the Lost Lands (I believe), minus
the PKs.

The only differences I've heard of are:

i) the countryside will be 'dead' on Feluccia (current lands), 'springtime
look' on Trammel (PK- new lands)

ii) the island of Occlo will be renamed to Haven on Trammel and will be
restricted to only new characters, to give them a gentle introduction to UO.

Barns

"Myrex" <al...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Rob

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Yes, almost duplicate copy, except that in the Consent facet, Occlo will become
Haven, and only for new players.

Actually, somone had a fantastic idea on CoB DevBoard yesterday, of course it
came way too late to do anything about it. The suggestion was to make Buc's
Den Haven, and leave Occlo as it is. Makes a lot of sense to me

Kheldar

Opium wrote:

> > Having not even tried the rennaissance test shard yet - I have only
> > been playing UO for two weeks, could anyone tell me if the new lands
> > introduced are a copy of britannia? ie, is it britain, moonglow, minoc
> > etc... but with no PKing and no looting? If so, i like that idea, as
> > it is incredibly frustrating to work on a characters inventory for so
> > long, be on the way to bank it and die, losing most of what i have...
> > I mean, for a new character - just the monsters are challenging
> > enough..
>

> Where's the point playing a game where you can't lose anything?
> Oh well that's an old discussion :-)
>
> btw. please don't post in HTML.
>
> According to OSI the new lands will be a complete copy of Britannia
> with just some minor modifications. All cities and dungeons will be
> there.

Support anti-Spam legislation.
Join the fight http://www.cauce.org/

Myrex

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
so, basically trammel, is just a name for a new version of britannia?  I have T2a and have ventured there once so far, only to think, eek its alien and pop back to the usual.  so the second age, is not trammel, but the 'lost lands'. All these lands are getting confusing.
by not being able to loot peoples stuff, do i take it that if you die and you take ages to res, say your body decomposes, then can the stuff be nicked? or is it still 'yours' until you reclaim it.

Myrex

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
once it's ready, will it be just an extension of the existing shards, ie, will I have to go through character creation to play in UO:R or will i just be able to use the moonstones? I have one already, but daren't use it as I dont understand what will happen exactly.

Myrex

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

Barnaby Madgett

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
(HTML removed)

You'll be able to simply use one of the Trammel moonstones to bring up a
moongate to the New Lands, if you wish to transfer an existing character
across. They won't be separate shards as such. I don't know whether you get
the option of which land to start in when you create a new character, or
whether it defaults to Trammel; probably someone else will know this.

Barns

"Myrex" <al...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Patrick Fisher

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

"Rob" <ro...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> Yes, almost duplicate copy, except that in the Consent facet, Occlo will
become
> Haven, and only for new players.
>
> Actually, somone had a fantastic idea on CoB DevBoard yesterday, of course
it
> came way too late to do anything about it. The suggestion was to make
Buc's
> Den Haven, and leave Occlo as it is. Makes a lot of sense to me
>
> Kheldar

Why does anyone care about Occlo? Occlo has nothing to offer - it's a small
town, there are no legal house spots on the island. The only reason people
don't want Occlo to go is because they don't understand how the NPC vendors
work - the Occlo mage shop isn't something special. *ALL* NPC vendors
restock themselves every x minutes (I believe about 30), adding 9 to the
stock of any items they sold out of last time, and resetting the stock to 10
for any items they don't sell out of. So Occlo's mage shop is only as
well-stocked as it is because it's popular. Additionally, even if Occlo's
shop was something special, why do people think the dev team wouldn't just
make another shop special? There will be twice as many mage shops with the
new lands, and it will be twice as easy to get regs. People are never happy
unless they're complaining about something.

Patrick Fisher

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

once it's ready, will it be just an extension of the existing shards, ie,
will I have to go through character creation to play in UO:R or will i just
be able to use the moonstones? I have one already, but daren't use it as I
dont understand what will happen exactly.

Stop posting in HTML.

Yes, it's just an extension of the existing shards.
Once it's active, you'll double click a moonstone somewhere outside of a
guard zone, and it will settle into the ground. In 30 seconds, a colored
moongate opens up which will take you to the exact same spot in the other
lands. You'll need a Trammel moonstone (found in Felucca) to get to Trammel,
and a Felucca moonstone, found in Trammel, to get to Felucca. Gates will not
be reversible (you can't jump back through or open a moongate for someone on
the other end to come through. The only people who can use your moongate are
you and anyone you add to your party.
You can travel freely between the two lands. Your bank box will be
accessible (the same box) from either facet, using the wonders of medieval
insta-delivery FedEx. Double clicking a moonstone now does nothing, because
the publish isn't on the servers yet.

Mistress Morrigan

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Not a thing will happen yet until OSI "releases" the New Lands to the shards... FYI

Britannia = The current world as we know it
Lost Lands = Areas accessable by Pentagram/sewer teleportsers containing Delucia and Paupa and all the new little monsters like Teratherons and Ophidians and Cyclops OH MY
New Lands = Player consent zone  No Pkers

Once new lands open...
Old Lands =  Feluccia (Pk's factions and guild war's OH MY)  *Note. At first I thought it was called Trammel with Feluccia beign the PvP- zone but now I'm seeing references to the PvP- zone being Trammel... going off the MoonStone names.. I'm guessing Trammel)
New Lands = PK free zone, consent only Player Vs Player party system etc...
Lost lands = Same as before in both lands

Mistress Morrigan

P.S. This is my understanding of the way things will work... do not take this as fact of as written in stone.

Wesley Martin

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
For anyone who DOESNT know what Uo:R is about here is a brief rundown

Think of YOUR land of Brit. Now, copy it making 2 identical lands. The land we CURRENTLY live in, will be called Felucia and will NOT change aside from the addition of the FACTION system and the new PvP changes(which will be made in both lands)
The SECOND identical land, will be called Trammel. This will look the same, but ONE difference, you will NOT be able to attac players AT ALL, no spells, no area effect, no nothing, blocking will be cut short (ie you can now WALK thru players with ease) and the only things that can harm you are monsters.

Goto http://uo.stratics.com for more info

greywolf

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Actually I agree with Buc's Den. With the PvP, or lack there of, setup in
Trammel Buc's Den doesn't make much sense anymore.

Patrick Fisher <pbfi...@seas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

greywolf

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Um about the HTML, which means that you are posting in a web page format, a
lot of the programs that people may use to read the newsgroups are unable to
process the HTML coding properly. There should be something in the setup of
your newsreadr software that asks if you want to send messages in HTML or
text. Please select text. If you are using outlook express it can be found
in under TOOLS --> Options, and then the send tab.

Thanks and have a Wonderful UO Day!

Eric A. Hall

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
>Actually, somone had a fantastic idea on CoB DevBoard yesterday, of course
it
>came way too late to do anything about it. The suggestion was to make
Buc's
>Den Haven, and leave Occlo as it is. Makes a lot of sense to me

Unfortunately, Buc's is an intersection of three sub-server boundaries. Just
about anywhere you stand there, somebody looks grey. It also causes all
kinds of NPC interaction problems, mobility problems, and so forth.

Ocllo is a good choice. Plenty of room to explore in, a nice big town that
nobody uses except for the mage shop, etc.

Richard Cortese

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Patrick Fisher <pbfi...@seas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> "Rob" <ro...@concentric.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, almost duplicate copy, except that in the Consent facet, Occlo will
> become
> > Haven, and only for new players.
> >
> > Actually, somone had a fantastic idea on CoB DevBoard yesterday, of
course
> it
> > came way too late to do anything about it. The suggestion was to make
> Buc's
> > Den Haven, and leave Occlo as it is. Makes a lot of sense to me
> >
> > Kheldar
>
> Why does anyone care about Occlo? Occlo has nothing to offer - it's a
small
> town, there are no legal house spots on the island. The only reason people
> don't want Occlo to go is because they don't understand how the NPC
vendors
> work - the Occlo mage shop isn't something special. *ALL* NPC vendors
> restock themselves every x minutes (I believe about 30), adding 9 to the
> stock of any items they sold out of last time, and resetting the stock to
10
> for any items they don't sell out of. So Occlo's mage shop is only as
> well-stocked as it is because it's popular. Additionally, even if Occlo's
> shop was something special, why do people think the dev team wouldn't just
> make another shop special? There will be twice as many mage shops with the
> new lands, and it will be twice as easy to get regs. People are never
happy
> unless they're complaining about something.
I know how the spawn works and I am not exactly happy with the change. It is
ok of course, but here are the reasons why Ocllo is not like other towns.

#1 Not a newbie spawn point
a. You don't have newbies buying 3 of each and ruining the prices
b. You don't get the "AtlIsDown" jerks trying to screw with you
c. No beggers at the banks
#2 No mining spots so you don't get newbie PKs like you do in Minoc. Of
course this is also kind of bad for a safe haven where people will choose
mining/smithing.
#3 People know how the spawn works, so they buy out the vendors rather then
get ~40 of each. That is, a vendor with 500 mandrake and 500 silk, buyer
with 1500 gold buys all the silk for example and leaves the drake for
someone else.

There is no other place like Ocllo in the game. You can walk to Serpent's
Hold and it is very popular with thieves. Nujlem does not have a magic shop.

My personal favorite city in the game is probably Serpent's Hold, but I have
to admit it would probably make a better city to forfiet then Ocllo. Mining,
leather bearing animals, dungeon, magic shop, blacksmith shop, locked
crates, stables.

Myrex

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
thankyou all for your responses, I am now a little clearer as to what is
going on.
as for the html, well, i hope this is now fixed. I didn't realise that when
i replied to posts, even though it was set to plain text, it inherited the
previous type - sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks again, thred closed.

Rob

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Well, I actually happen to LIKE Occlo :P

(And not for the mage shop)

Khel