Blue PKs?

1 view

Karen Lofstrom

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
I was recently PKd on Pacific. My katana had just disappeared from my
hand -- duh, I didn't know they wore out. I've since started carrying
a spare. I was running back to Papua to buy another one when this
blue on a horse said HI. He was the Admirable or Honorable or some
such thing Sephiroth. We chatted a bit and he asked me if I was a
newbie. I said "Sorta", at which point he attacked me. I was really
helpless without a sword, against a guy on a horse, without a recall
scroll (I've been struggling to figure out this recall thing for days
-- where can I buy marked runes?). He ran me down, killed me, said, "I
want your shield" and then said, "Loser."

I registered a complaint and put a bounty on him.

A day later I ran into a blue character named Sephroth in Trinsic. I
thought it was my PKiller and started telling him exactly what I
thought of him. First he said, "I didn't do it, I'm a newbie." He had a
full complement of expensive armor and weapons and was wearing
black. I told him that he didn't look like a newbie. He switched to,
"You can't prove it." He ran off.

Yet another day later, I saw the Fair Sephiroth fighting another
character at the Bank in Minoc. What the #$%? He was BLUE. How could
he kill me in such a heinous fashion and stay blue? Bearing in mind
the pointlessness of my encounter in Trinsic, I didn't say anything.

I did some checking on the UO Guild guide and found a Sephiroth as a
member of 7 guilds on Pacific. Huh? Is this one guy? Someone playing
five chars as Sephiroth or Sephroth? Someone with multiple accounts?
Who is this jerk?

How can he stay blue?

Where do I find a comprehensive record of bounties issued?

What should I do if I run into my blue PK again? What CAN I do?

--
Karen Lofstrom lofs...@lava.net
Because I could not stop for Death

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Karen Lofstrom wrote:

> I did some checking on the UO Guild guide and found a Sephiroth as a
> member of 7 guilds on Pacific. Huh? Is this one guy? Someone playing
> five chars as Sephiroth or Sephroth? Someone with multiple accounts?
> Who is this jerk?

Sephiroth is not a particularly uncommon name. I don't know its source
(was it the villain in FF7?), but it seems to me the majority that
choose this name tend to be jerks.

> How can he stay blue?

Assuming the same character, that character remains blue so long as
his/her murder count (attacking a blue, and the blue dying without fully
healing or recalling, some other restrictions) remains under 5. There
are actually two counts, one for stat loss with murder counts decaying
every 8 hours online (assuming no kills in those 8 hours), one for
color, decaying every 40 hours (likewise, assuming no kills in that time
frame). That is, one could kill four people, wait 40 hours while in the
game, kill somebody else, wait another 40 hours, etc., and not turn
blue. But 40 hours online is a long time.... hell, many single player
games don't even get played for 40 hours.

> Where do I find a comprehensive record of bounties issued?

I don't know. Somebody else? There's only the top 10 lists on the
bounty boards in various towns....

> What should I do if I run into my blue PK again? What CAN I do?

If you have the skills, you could kill him, even if he's blue. As an
aggressor to a blue, you'll be gray for 2 minutes. You'll also get a
murder count out of it, but without 5 murder counts, you stay blue.
Given that you probably don't kill very often, if at all, that murder
count'll probably just decay. Or, you could flag yourself gray, or some
other way to get Sephiroth to attack you again, in which case you can
kill him in self-defense with no worries of murder counts. In my case,
I have a tendency to just chase them off and leave it at that.

Or you could call in some friends and have them kill him. Or you could
just ignore him. Or you could leave him. Your choice, really, however
you want your character to be.

If you were on Sonoma, I'd offer to hunt him down for you. Hell, I even
know of serious murderers who would hunt him down, simply because he
would kill newbies....

-Smedley

Eric A. Hall

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

> I was recently PKd on Pacific. My katana had just disappeared from my
> hand -- duh, I didn't know they wore out. I've since started carrying
> a spare.

You should take your weapons and armor to a gm blacksmith player and
have them repair it. I do this every couple of days. Make sure they are
a real blacksmith and not a thief posing as a blacksmith.

> I did some checking on the UO Guild guide and found a Sephiroth as a
> member of 7 guilds on Pacific. Huh? Is this one guy? Someone playing
> five chars as Sephiroth or Sephroth? Someone with multiple accounts?
> Who is this jerk?

Anybody could create a character with any name they choose. There is no
guarantee of uniqueness other than creative naming. There are lots of
Thors, Aries and Sephiroths around.

> How can he stay blue?

It takes five murders within a limited time period to go red.

> Where do I find a comprehensive record of bounties issued?

There are bounty boards at most banks. Just double-click it for a list
of the top 20 bounties on your shard.

> What should I do if I run into my blue PK again? What CAN I do?

If you catch him outside of town, kill him if you can. You will get a
murder count. You will go grey for a few minutes, but then you'll be
blue again. If you don't commit another murder in the next eight hours
(game time) there won't be any real consequences from it. The hardest
part will be killing him and then surviving any attacks from
grey-killers that pass by. You could also find and join an honorable
guild and have your group gank the swine.

Tinarandil

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

<jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:38067600...@po.cwru.edu...

> Karen Lofstrom wrote:
> >
> > I did some checking on the UO Guild guide and found a Sephiroth as a
> > member of 7 guilds on Pacific. Huh? Is this one guy? Someone playing
> > five chars as Sephiroth or Sephroth? Someone with multiple accounts?
> > Who is this jerk?
>
> Sephiroth is not a particularly uncommon name. I don't know its source
> (was it the villain in FF7?), but it seems to me the majority that
> choose this name tend to be jerks.
Yep. Girly man with long hair and a big sword. (Compensating for
something.)

Ted Kaiser

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Sorry to hear about your encounter. I am not an expert at this murder
thing, but I suspect that the blue you ran into does not have enough murders
to turn it into a long term murder count. I am sure that someone else will
pipe in and provide some details. IMHO, a blue that murders is dishonest.
I trust a red more than a blue murderer....

Also, I would suggest not putting out a large bounty. The blue will go get
one of his pals to do him in to collect the bounty. What it means is that
your gold will go to his bottom line. If you want to put a bounty, put 1
gp.

Characters can have the same name. So, one "Fred" may be different than
another "Fred". It is real hard to distinguish.

As you found out, equipment will wear out. You always carry a backup weapon
just in case. Also, another thing to note is that weapons start doing less
damage when they wear. This goes for armor, too. The more damage armor
takes, the less damage it will absorb.

jlbarnes

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

Tinarandil wrote:

I always thought that cloud aimed a little below the belt when he stabbed
sephiroth. That is probably why seph killed cloud's girl.