Quick question to horse owners

Chingachgook

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Hail Don,

I log off on horseback out in the wilderness all the time, preferably inside
a tent so no one can see you during the log on time. I also use a bed roll
so it's the same as being in an inn for instant log off. If you're hidden
while on horseback when you log on, you will dismount automatically and your
horse will appear and you stay hidden, so be ready to double click back on
him to keep him hidden too. That's why a fairly safe log off spot is
important.

As far as training, you need a 30.1 skill minimum. You don't really have to
have it if you keep him fed. But it sure helps if you forget and he goes
wild on you. Once you buy the horse, use his name alot and give him
commands. that will make the horse more loyal and easier to re-tame if he
ever does go wild on you. Be sure and drop a carrot or something on him
every once in awhile or he will eventually "throw" you and become wild.

Hope this helps,

Chinga

Bob Roland

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Just make sure you're sitting on the horse while logging off.

Otherwise your horse will become a rack of ribs and a female leather top
due to some over eager hunter.

As for taming, I think it takes about 30. You can purchase it from a
stable vendor.

-The Admirable Great Bob
http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/albion/686/home.html

So anyway, just wondering
> if I can log out in an inn withhim, or should i put him in the stables
> before I log off? I'd hate to log in to find my horse gone wild (no taming
> either).

Dan Merchant

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
uoss <http://uo.stratics.com/> is the authority on this, technically you'll
need 30.1 according to them. even then it will likely take quite a few
tries; stable him.

bug, LS

----------
In article <Bzu_1.668$_3.62...@news.magma.ca>, "Don Sheppard"
<ds...@magma.ca> wrote:

>I decided it was time for my no-magic character to get himself a horse so
>he'll be better at running away from trouble :-)~ So anyway, just wondering

>if I can log out in an inn withhim, or should i put him in the stables
>before I log off? I'd hate to log in to find my horse gone wild (no taming

>either). Hmm.....maybe getting my taming up might be an idea. Ok so 2
>questions. How high does your taming have to be to tame a horse?

Don Sheppard

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

Scott

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:26:41 GMT, "Don Sheppard" <ds...@magma.ca>
wrote:

>I decided it was time for my no-magic character to get himself a horse so
>he'll be better at running away from trouble :-)~ So anyway, just wondering
>if I can log out in an inn withhim, or should i put him in the stables
>before I log off?

Horses are UltraKeen! If you have more than one horse, put the
extras in the stables. I put mine there anyway out of preference. If
you don't want to pay the 30 gold, go into an inn, and log out while
*ON* the horse.

Scott
--
I'm not bitter. Really.
gothic.net/~raindog/process/

Dundee

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
wrote:

>I decided it was time for my no-magic character to get himself a horse so
>he'll be better at running away from trouble :-)~ So anyway, just wondering
>if I can log out in an inn withhim, or should i put him in the stables
>before I log off?

You can logout on him. He logs out with you. Hop off and feed him
1st thing when you get back on.

> I'd hate to log in to find my horse gone wild (no taming
>either). Hmm.....maybe getting my taming up might be an idea. Ok so 2
>questions. How high does your taming have to be to tame a horse?

Stratics says 30.1, but I don't believe their taming stats are right -
they'd just be approximations, I wot. 'Seems to vary depending on the
animal, and seems to be based on Raw Skill rather than stat-modified
skill.

James McCollom

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Dun...@LakeSuperior.Shard (Dundee) wrote:

I had a weird experience today in Delucia. I have tamed with my one
character and at 40 something he tames with just a few tries. Here's
the weird one..today I took my main character to the new lands. he use
to tame but I've let it go to build other skills. So I'm walking
around in the new town for the first time and along comes a
horse...just for kicks I click on taming (at14) thinking this will be
a waste and all of a sudden "he accepts you as his master" go figure
huh?
I know this is unusually low and not the norm just thought it was
strange..and I've got a horse so I'm not complaining:))

Dundee

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:20:08 GMT, jt...@interaccess.com (James
McCollom) wrote:

>horse...just for kicks I click on taming (at14) thinking this will be
>a waste and all of a sudden "he accepts you as his master" go figure
>huh?

He must have been previously tamed and released. Did he have a name
or was he "a horse"?

Animals that have been released are very, very easy to tame.

James McCollom

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Dun...@LakeSuperior.Shard (Dundee) wrote:

You are correct. It was a previosly owned horse. I was just suprised
due to my low skill. He may have just gone wild too I suppose. Oh well
tasnks and I better go feed my horse:))

The Philosopher Primus

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Don Sheppard wrote:

> I decided it was time for my no-magic character to get himself a horse

One important thing: DO NOT get off the horse unnecessarily unless you can
afford to replace it. Doing so for even a second can lose the horse more ways
than one.

You get off, there is a backup that catches you in that condition, system goes
down and eventually restarts from that backup, and there stands your horse, not
logged out. If you are not there to feed your horse within the 2 hours it takes
to starve and go wild, bye bye horse.

There is a network problem (your own ISP, or anywhere along the net that happens
to interrupt your connection). Even if it is restored, if you give up, or for
any reason are not there to feed the horse, bye bye horse.

Out of town, you get off your horse, it is a target, and jerks love to kill
horses (since they can't steal them).

So watch the clock, feed it every two hours or less (fruits and veggies, though
I never saw a horse that liked grapes IRL, or hay), and stay on it all the time.

If you disconnect in the middle of a fight, beware that you will reconnect still
in combat mode, and you will likely dismount when reconnecting. Your first
impulse is to remount, which requires the same double-click as an attack, and
will thus end up attacking your horse. This is a disaster, as the horse will
not stop "fighting" you (though it does not actually attack), and so you cannot
remount. You can give it orders, transfer it, etc, but not stop it. Recall to
an inn, log off, wait 2 full minutes, and come back. That is the only thing I
ever found that works. Even giving it to someone else, and having them mount
up, does not interrupt the "fighting" condition. Way to go, OS.

> How high does your taming have to be to tame a horse?

I believe it is now close to 40. It used to be 30. I know that below 30 does
not work.