Instakilled? (a lot longer than I intended :)

Jado

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Hi all, wondering if anyone else has seen this, this is something that
happened to me last night when I was out and about and althouhg I didn't
really lose much, I'm not too confident about what happened.

I was wandering around Shame with my guildmaster, we were just killing,
collecting loot and wandering around, we were on level two when a red showed
up, being not too concerned about colours and more concerned with actions, I
greeted the red - next thing is he casts paralyze on my guildmaster and -
obviously missing a few brain cells runs towards him and gets stabbed with a
Kryss for his carelessness, of course by this point I'm in warmode and
running at the red, I got a hit in and the reds now down to 1/2 health and
goes galloping away on his horse. Fair enough, let him leave, my guildmaster
is still paralyzed :) so I can't really leave him there for the air ele's...
So we forget all about it and go further into lvl 2.

Time for round 2.

We've just killed a few more eles and are sitting around talking about
something or other, when what should happen? Mr Red runs in from the North
with 4-5 blues following. As I say, I'm not one to attack for no reason, but
I figured I had good reason on this occasion and gave him a smack with my
katana again, para, flamestrike, lightning etc. I don't pay much attention
at this point, high magic resist, high healing, and an abundance of bandages
is a deadly combo in a 100str 90-something dex warrior with 38 ar, a GM
katana and just a point or two off GM in his weapon skills :) However, I do
start paying attention when all the blues start 'In Vas Mani'-ing the red
and one starts flamestriking me, still, every time I hit him, he loses about
15% health, they're very lucky to get me below 60 as my guildmaster is
casting the occasional In Vas Mani at me and every 15 seconds I finish
applying the bandages and pop back up to 100hp :) This is all very nice, and
it was actually fun for a while, fighting some lame pk's who were obviously
way out of their depth, well, it was fun until about 5 minutes into the
fight, when I backed off and noticed they were all together, 'I don't mind
going grey/red for a while' I think, and start off on my Blade Spirit...
more reagents are needed... Doh, another flamestrike, another Corp por, I'm
down to 65 hp, AR is still 30, I'm not poisoned or anything stupid like
that. So I equip my heater and I'm back up to 38AR, equip a fresh GM katana
and take another run at the red

This is where it gets strange...

I'm basically targeted, attacking, and pelting accross the screen towards
this guy, I double checked my health just before I connected, 65/100, noone
was casting any spells, I watched the red equip what looked like a Halberd
heard my katana connect, heard the halberd sound (you know, the one you hear
all the time in town :) and looked again at my health as I _expected_ to run
past, 65/100, then a moment later, 0/100

Huh? grey screen... so my guildmaster is still there, I oooOOOoo at him
repeatedly (if he'd had spirit speak on, he would have seen something like
"Recall, Recall, RECALL, RECALL, RECALL!!!" But they didn't attack him, they
'An Corped' me, - "great, res-killed" was my initial thought (not too
concerned about the fame loss though so I figured I'd chance it), they
didn't kill me, they cast a few greater heals, and it turns out my
guildmaster had salvaged almost all of my stuff except a sword, shield, some
regs and loot collected in shame) that was basically it, we Kal Ort Por'd
shortly after.

So what I need to know is, how the hell did one hit with a halberd take 65hp
off me? like I say, I was up at 38AR and I didn't think that was possible
(unless it's a bug of course). Anyone else seen this/know how it was done?

_____________________
The voyage home (boring little story about another red encounter :)
--------------------------------------

One good thing came from all this, I recalled back to Brit after my
guildmaster disappeared, went to the bank and got a new sword and a magic
shield, recalled to the guildhouse and waited for the guildmaster... When he
showed up he explained he'd KOP'd to another town in panic and promptly gave
me my share of the loot he'd retrieved - Woohoo!!! I'll take this to brit
and get some regs etc... So off I ran West through the forest to Brit, I ran
past a lone red, and as I pass, he begins casting paralyze field (figure the
guy must have had a really bad aim :) so I ran West for another 3 screens or
so and hid. waited a few seconds to make sure he wasn't following and
continued West... This guy was obviously a much more competent PK than the
one in Shame as he'd recalled to a point West of where I was (and in line
with where I was going)... I saw the name and hid again... He came onscreen
and I waited a couple of minutes after he had gone and continued on my merry
way to Britain.

Somewhere about 10 screens or so from the guardzone, I bump into a blue who
is hunting a grey, We have a chat and I walk offscreen again to the West, as
I do so, The Smart Red shows up on the top of my screen and starts casting
paralyze, I walk away again and it becomes apparent that the para wasn't
aimed at me. The delay lasted about 5 seconds... the moral dilemma over
whether to go bank my [considerable] loot, or risk it to save the blue... I
risk it and head East again... Grinning from ear to ear when I see that the
blue has managed to get off a paralyze too and they're both sitting in the
middle of the path 'frozen' :) katana on, warmode on, the fight lasts less
than 15 seconds...(blue started Corp-Poring the red like there's no tomorrow
once the para wore off - which helped :)

Unfortunately, as we were picking up his stuff (scrolls - regs - head etc),
his backup came and the blue got whacked, I got in a few good hits on the
new red, but again, a blue healer was waiting in the wings with a good deal
of 'In Vas Mani's' (I HATE those guys btw). and I have to back off to the
guardzone from the fight which now includes 3-4 friendlies and 2
unfriendlies :), the rest of the friendlies came back to the guardzone and
we healed etc, (Dead-Red has of course been ressed at this point) and I
took the opportunity to bank my loot and grab some bandages... Head back to
the East and am see the very looted bodies of everyone who had been fighting
on my side lying in the path, umm, I think I'll seize this opportunity to
head nonchalantly back to Britain and practice my inscription :)

So there you go, my night last night... I'm going to turn RedHunter I think,
there are too many of them have annoyed me over the past few months and it's
high time I dealt out some retribution.

Jado, Europa.

Al

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Maybe they stole a poor guard's halberd ?I imaginethe poor guard coming home
late at night in sorrow and tell his wife between two tears that he lost his
beloved halberd wich whacked so much vilain...

I think it is maybe just badluck, or it is a bug. We have no way to tell...

Jado <ja...@btinternet.com-DELETE-THIS> a écrit dans le message :
1133...@NEWS.SAIC.COM...

Opium

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Sounds like precasted spells. You're sure there was no spell animation
on your char?

Bob Roland

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:49:19 -0000, "Jado"
<ja...@btinternet.com-DELETE-THIS> wrote:

>So what I need to know is, how the hell did one hit with a halberd take 65hp
>off me? like I say, I was up at 38AR and I didn't think that was possible
>(unless it's a bug of course). Anyone else seen this/know how it was done?

It's really possible. A hally can do between 5-49 points of damage.
Then factor in anatomy bonus, and strength bonus and you get much
closer. The final topper is that his hally might have been a magic,
possibly even a hally of vanquishing which would add about 10 more
points of damage, and you have a possibility of a lucky shot doing 65
points of damage.

Possibility #2 is that as you ran up to him, his blue buddies were
also automaticly atacking you, and the lag just made it look like only
one person.

>So there you go, my night last night... I'm going to turn RedHunter I think,
>there are too many of them have annoyed me over the past few months and it's
>high time I dealt out some retribution.

Great story. I wish more folks would. I hate sitting in front of the
bank and watch as a newbie comes running up saying "I got PK'd by
reds! They're by the moongate! Hurry!" and nobody comes to his aid.
Sigh.

The Great Bob
Visit the Siege Perilous Comic strip!
greatbob.uoboard.net

Opium

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
> >So what I need to know is, how the hell did one hit with a halberd take 65hp
> >off me? like I say, I was up at 38AR and I didn't think that was possible
> >(unless it's a bug of course). Anyone else seen this/know how it was done?
>
> It's really possible. A hally can do between 5-49 points of damage.
> Then factor in anatomy bonus, and strength bonus and you get much
> closer. The final topper is that his hally might have been a magic,
> possibly even a hally of vanquishing which would add about 10 more
> points of damage, and you have a possibility of a lucky shot doing 65
> points of damage.

Not really, all damage is halved after the ac value got subtracted.
Magic bonus, however, seems to ignore armor and is not halved.

Quaestor

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
OrionCA wrote:

> Sunsword has promised that they are going to fix this. Finally, after a year
> of complaints.

That is going to make things interesting. When a non-guild person heals someone
in a guildwar, they take on all the guildwar attributes of that person for a
while (2 minutes?). So when a certain well-known person heals someone in Chaos,
suddenly now he is at guildwar with all those Order types. For 2 minutes. But
his pets are not. Unless the Order types attack him, in which case they can
defend him normally, but are still not guildwar targets.

Such interesting possibilities.

Quaestor

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Bob Roland wrote:

> Great story. I wish more folks would. I hate sitting in front of the
> bank and watch as a newbie comes running up saying "I got PK'd by
> reds! They're by the moongate! Hurry!" and nobody comes to his aid.
> Sigh.

It's a lot worse when one or two go there and get slammed by a whole gang of
jerks. A rather standard trap.

Klavs Lind

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
hey, great story, must have been a heart pumping night of play.

what a trill.

Jado <ja...@btinternet.com-DELETE-THIS> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:1133...@NEWS.SAIC.COM...

Bob Roland

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:34:41 -0800, Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae>
wrote:

>It's a lot worse when one or two go there and get slammed by a whole gang of
>jerks. A rather standard trap.

Naw, most PKs have learned that people just don't care anymore. Now
it's newbies with the idealisic notion that people actuallygive a
crap.

Newbies. Heh.

Richard Cortese

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
Quaestor <Range...@Skara.Brae> wrote in message

> Bob Roland wrote:
>
> > Great story. I wish more folks would. I hate sitting in front of the
> > bank and watch as a newbie comes running up saying "I got PK'd by
> > reds! They're by the moongate! Hurry!" and nobody comes to his aid.
> > Sigh.
>
> It's a lot worse when one or two go there and get slammed by a whole gang
of
> jerks. A rather standard trap.
I have two characters that would show up. One because he is just plain not
bright enough to figure out that it is a trap and likes a fight.

The other 'smart one' will show because if it isn't a trap they need
killing, if it is a trap they need killing.

J Maverik7

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
The halberd can do alot of damage friend. I know someone who i duel with
soemtimes. He dueled another guildmate who had 54 hp, and one hallie of power
hit, and he died. He also hit someone else for a 52 hp hit. If you were low,
that could have done it. Sneeky but powerful...never see it coming
*writes note to self to search for a halberd of power or vanq*

Quaestor

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
J Maverik7 wrote:

Go to tradespot, and figure to spend 20k or more. ID and AL carefully on
delivery, and don't put the money in a bag.

- Quaestor - who has floated a major portion of the LS weapons market for some
time - and escorted his little arse off to pay for it - and will NEVER get that
castle deed at this rate - but has one Hell of a collection of weapons :-)

Quaestor

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
OrionCA wrote:

> The change is aimed principly at Blue Healers and while it will have
> some negative consequences (if someone runs up in a dungeon and yells,
> "Help me! I'm dying of poison!", you're going to have think long and
> hard about whether you should get involved or not.)

When the rep system was new, for a while you would lose karma if you healed
anyone of lower karma than yourself, and so we dogooders carried around a lot
of extra potions to hand out. We still can.

Guy runs up, says, "I'm feeling sluggish!" And you toss him a blue bottle.
That sort of thing. Just don't toss the purple ones. People get really upset
about that.

> it'll put a damper on those PKs running around with 2-3 Blue healers at
> their beck and call.

Healers will still be viable, they will just have to be able to defend
themselves. This does not mean they have to be major Wh00pass champs, just
able to stay alive while helping the other guy. Situations like me standing
in the middle of a battle, passing out heals and meditating as fast as I can,
and just Hoping I get an attack message so I can hit the WHERE's MY GUARDS?
key, will have to change. I'll actually have to move.