Next chapter in the "Invalid guildstone" saga--Lonestar goes for it!

Richard Cortese

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99

bizbee wrote:

> OK, so today I tried it again... third time's the charm... sure
> enough, I got Lonestar as the GM this time. I thought.."OK, if this
> guy dumps on me, fuck it." Sure enough, less than a minute after I
> made the request, I got the message "GM Lonestar says "It's taken care
> of... thanks"... and the stone was gone. Damn... about time. I wrote
> back and thanked him. At least someone there has a clue. Lonestar was
> quick to respond and quick to delete the stone.
> What's the problem with the <other> GMs and removing invalid location
> stones? Geez.....
tree frog gave me the same kind of service on Baja. Sent the message
back, "If you are the owner of the house, stand next to the stone and
page me again to have it removed".

Of course, in typical "Why does it always have to rain on my parade?"
fashion, I was using my bowyer & there was a water elemental using me vs
a crystal ball to practice his magery. But I dutifully stood there next
to the guild stone with a fresh exceptional bow.

Happy ending though, both the water elemental & the rogue guild stone
were dispatched at about the same time.

Richard Cortese

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

bizbee wrote:

> Strangely enough, in my encounter with Lonestar, I wasn't next to the
> stone... only when I reported it. When I reported it, I posed it as a
> question: "I understand GMs will delete guildstones in invalid
> locations. There's one here."
> I stood there for a second, then wandered off screen, figuring I'd
> just get the same old answer, and I'd be able to read it at my
> leisure.. I didn't feel like standing there forever like I did waiting
> for Treefrog. To my surprise, I got the really quick answer. I went
> back and it <was> gone....
Not really funny, but when I was working part time in a garden shop
during college I had kind of a standard, "I am up shit creek with out a
paddle! God please give me a lie that will buy me some time while I
figure out a better lie!"

For me, no matter what the question was about why the plant died or just
wasn't doing well or whatever was, "Did you plant it next to some
concrete?"

Now the answer always had to be yes or no.

If it was yes, then I would say, "Ah! There is your problem! This is an
acid loving plant & concrete is basic."

If the answer was no I would say, "Ah! That is your problem! This is a
base loving plant & the soil is probably too acid."

This would stun the customer for maybe 30 seconds & would give me time
to figure out what to do. Usually it was replace the plant, but I needed
time for an attitude adjustment before I got there.

I figure GMs use the same methods of coping. i.e. "Get a copy of your
1986 income tax returns & call me when you are ready."