Where are the guards?

John Schirpik

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
To night me and my brother were attack by a guild of pks one being bright
red.
I told my brother to run and i tryed to stall the pks,i lead them to the
outpost at the yew,britain,vesper xroads hopping to get them guard killed i
get to the building and switch to a bow so auto defend would slow them
down,when the got close enough to hit me i started to call for guard none
came.
So i head in the building to play chase only the murder followed me in i
ran him around the building till i saw 2 guards and called for help NADA
there i am with a red on my but and guards in sight yet no help then the
rest came back in after looseing Blade and finished me off.
Needless to say this whole thing has pissed me off so i logged out befor
the promt for the murder came up,and im realy thinking of going to Ever
Quest now.
Ralph are you trying to drive people away? or tryimg to keep the Pkers
happy at all cost?

Kangshie

Abalam

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
"Guards! I pay my taxes, and no guards?!"

--
Abalam --- GrandMaster Stupid
_______[europa]_______

Opium

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
to John Schirpik

> To night me and my brother were attack by a guild of pks one being bright
> red.
> I told my brother to run and i tryed to stall the pks,i lead them to the
> outpost at the yew,britain,vesper xroads hopping to get them guard killed i
> get to the building and switch to a bow so auto defend would slow them
> down,when the got close enough to hit me i started to call for guard none
> came.
> So i head in the building to play chase only the murder followed me in i
> ran him around the building till i saw 2 guards and called for help NADA
> there i am with a red on my but and guards in sight yet no help then the
> rest came back in after looseing Blade and finished me off.
> Needless to say this whole thing has pissed me off so i logged out befor
> the promt for the murder came up,and im realy thinking of going to Ever
> Quest now.
> Ralph are you trying to drive people away? or tryimg to keep the Pkers
> happy at all cost?

Instead of running and trying to fool them you perhaps just should have
recalled out? You had your chance :-p

Opium

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

Lone Wolf

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

I think you will find that those guards are just naff little npc's who are
not much good for anything really (except dying) but you can hire them as
they are not town guards.

The only times you can call guards is when you recieve the message that you
are now under the protection of the guards.

So the only thing that got you killed here really was your lack of knowledge
of the game.

And how many people cannot honestly say that they died because there was
something they didnt know.

Show me that man and I shall show you a liar.

Lone Wolf - DF

John Schirpik wrote in message ...

> To night me and my brother were attack by a guild of pks one being bright
>red.
> I told my brother to run and i tryed to stall the pks,i lead them to the
>outpost at the yew,britain,vesper xroads hopping to get them guard killed i
>get to the building and switch to a bow so auto defend would slow them
>down,when the got close enough to hit me i started to call for guard none
>came.
> So i head in the building to play chase only the murder followed me in i
>ran him around the building till i saw 2 guards and called for help NADA
>there i am with a red on my but and guards in sight yet no help then the
>rest came back in after looseing Blade and finished me off.
> Needless to say this whole thing has pissed me off so i logged out befor
>the promt for the murder came up,and im realy thinking of going to Ever
>Quest now.
> Ralph are you trying to drive people away? or tryimg to keep the Pkers
>happy at all cost?
>

>Kangshie

Opium

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99

> >Instead of running and trying to fool them you perhaps just should have
> >recalled out? You had your chance :-p
>
> The point is he tried to get help at a guard post and the guards just
> stood there ignoring him. What the fuck are those places DOING THERE
> if the guards are just going to ignore you??? Didn't these used to be
> 'justice zones' you could dodge into when you were in trouble and the
> guards would deal with the monster chasing you?

The guards are only nice decoration if you are not on a tile marked
"guarded". As long as you don't get the "you are now under the protection
blabla" message get, you are unguarded.
Hey, try attacking one of these guards in unguarded area :-)

John Schirpik

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99

Opium <w...@cares.com> wrote in message news:36FB6B88...@cares.com...

> Instead of running and trying to fool them you perhaps just should have
> recalled out? You had your chance :-p

Yes i could have recalled but my brother couldnt and i wasnt gonna let him
face them alone.

Kangshie

John Schirpik

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99

OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:12:08 +0100, Opium <w...@cares.com> wrote:
> The point is he tried to get help at a guard post and the guards just
> stood there ignoring him. What the fuck are those places DOING THERE
> if the guards are just going to ignore you??? Didn't these used to be
> 'justice zones' you could dodge into when you were in trouble and the
> guards would deal with the monster chasing you?
Yes that was my point for the last 15 months you could run to those outpost
if you ran into something you couldnt handle and if a guard you were saved
if not time to fall back and punt.
i know in the past a red player couldnt walk past that outpost with geting
guard wacked now they can murder you in the building with a guard not 5-6
tiles away.
If OSI is gonna change something like that we should be warned as far as i
know there is no mention of changeing guard zone at outpost,and i do check
the update board at OSI.

Kangshie

John Schirpik

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99

Lone Wolf <lone...@net.ntl.com> wrote in message

> So the only thing that got you killed here really was your lack of
knowledge
> of the game.
>
> And how many people cannot honestly say that they died because there was
> something they didnt know.
as i have said above for the last 15 Months if you got in trubble and ran
to that outpost and called a guard they would whack the monster-player that
was attacking you,OSI made a change that benifeted the Pks with out give the
players a warnning .

Kangshie

Richard Cortese

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
There is sort of a bug. Not sure if it specifically applies to you, but
if you attack someone outside of the guard zone, and it takes him about
10 seconds to make it to a guard zone, the timer has expired.

I have heard, from a known liar though, that if you damage someone in
the guard zone after the initial timer has run out guards can be called,
but this is not my experience.

The auto combat flag runs for ~2 mins. I knew of players that seemed to
have it down to the point where they would attack someone in town, turn
gray, get rezed, then get their bow out of the bank and auto combat kill
people while they were yelling for guards. I thought this last one was
fixed though.

Saw someone trying it Hokuto this morning. Stupid name player killing a
naked newbie in town. Japanese player on a horse pulled out a katana and
turned the grey exploiter into sushi. Kind of glad I got up early.

Richard Cortese

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
OrionCA wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:00:35 -0800, Richard Cortese
> <rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:
>
> >There is sort of a bug. Not sure if it specifically applies to you, but
> >if you attack someone outside of the guard zone, and it takes him about
> >10 seconds to make it to a guard zone, the timer has expired.
> >

> My situation: Xerxes, a newbie tailor, was out picking up abandoned
> hides and running away from any monsters he saw. Working his way
> north, he ran across a spectre, avoided it but had to run too far to
> get away from it. Went into the guard post to look around (sometimes
> people dump hides there before they log out for the night. There were
> two Order Guards there.
>
> Went to the roof, saw an Orc Lord, Orc Lord saw him, went gray, and
> began working its way around the building. Came back downstairs to
> leave, Orc Lord pounced on him at the doorway, he ran back inside
> yelling for the guards. Who stood there with their noses (literally!)
> pressed into the walls. Orc Lord chased him around the table in the
> middle of the room, he made a break for the door but from half the
> room away the orc made a swinging motion and Xerxes went down.
>
> All he lost were his sewing kit, hides, and boots because these were
> the only non-newbie items he was carrying. But it was frustrating
> because you'd think the guards would whack the orc just for invading
> their barracks. Again, what are these outposts for if not to protect
> travellers?
Actually, there is a looting bug and attack bug too. The looting bug
allows you to loot a blue corpse w/o turning gray, the attack bug let's
you attack in certain ways/paterns w/o going grey after the first timer
runs out.

The attack bug is kind of obscure even to me right now, I would need to
use a stop watch to get the exact manner in which to reproduce it. But I
have seen both of these a lot, just haven't spent the time to
characterize them.

I don't think they will become a problem as long as I don't post them
publicly.