Practical matters.

1 view

Michael Simonson

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

I've been able to log on frequently now, have had a few good sessions in
a row, and there are some things that escape me - any help will be
greatly appreciated, and rewarded if you see me online.

1. How exactly does one train Archery using a training butte? Switching
to 'war' mode changes nothing, double clicking on it has no effect, and
when I single click on my bow in the paper doll window, it says in
brackets (practice weapon) - still nothing happens. What am I missing?

2. When using a dagger on wood, sometimes the operation defaults to
kindling, or some other product - why is this, and how do I avoid it?

3. Is there any way to have one's arrangement of the various windows or
icons - skills, backpack etc. - saved from session to session? Having to
re-adjust everything each time is very annoying.

4. How can the strength attribute be raised? I thought this was affected
by training, but while when I trained for a fair length of time on one
occasion, the skill I was using went up but my strength did not. Does
only actual combat raise skills? This seems to be so - a dog I tried to
tame didn't like where I had put my hand I imagine and it attacked me,
we fought for a while before I ran away, and my strength went up 1.

5. Where can I find a bedroll?

Many thanks to any and all who can help with these questions.

Anthrage StormRider

Steve

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Michael Simonson wrote:

> 1. How exactly does one train Archery using a training butte? Switching
> to 'war' mode changes nothing, double clicking on it has no effect, and
> when I single click on my bow in the paper doll window, it says in
> brackets (practice weapon) - still nothing happens. What am I missing?

Don't know, but did you have any arrows ?

> 2. When using a dagger on wood, sometimes the operation defaults to
> kindling, or some other product - why is this, and how do I avoid it?

If you have enough wood and you pass a skill check then you get to choose
what you want to make, otherwise you make kindling. This is very annoying.
Resource usage rates and equipment wearing out rates are pretty high.

> 3. Is there any way to have one's arrangement of the various windows or
> icons - skills, backpack etc. - saved from session to session? Having to
> re-adjust everything each time is very annoying.

Nope. The best you can do is to define a macro to open/close specific sets
of windows. For example, you might want a 'running away from monsters/PKs'
macro that makes sure your paperdoll, backpack, options windows are closed,
but even this is too limited.

> 4. How can the strength attribute be raised? I thought this was affected
> by training, but while when I trained for a fair length of time on one
> occasion, the skill I was using went up but my strength did not. Does
> only actual combat raise skills? This seems to be so - a dog I tried to
> tame didn't like where I had put my hand I imagine and it attacked me,
> we fought for a while before I ran away, and my strength went up 1.

Strength does go up at the practice dummies, but very slowly. You'll find
you'll hit your combat weapon skill ceiling (25 pts) and you'll then want to
switch to a different weapon, e.g. dagger, or bare hands to keep building up
your STR and DEX stats.

> 5. Where can I find a bedroll?

You can sometimes buy them from a provisioner for about 8gp.

Regards
Teppic Dragon
-==UDIC==-

Doug Bora

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

: > 3. Is there any way to have one's arrangement of the various windows or

: > icons - skills, backpack etc. - saved from session to session? Having to
: > re-adjust everything each time is very annoying.
: Nope. The best you can do is to define a macro to open/close specific sets
: of windows. For example, you might want a 'running away from monsters/PKs'
: macro that makes sure your paperdoll, backpack, options windows are closed,
: but even this is too limited.

I pray that someday we'll be able to have the game save our desktop upon
logout. You'd think this feature would be in there by now, as it seems
really obvious to me.

: > 4. How can the strength attribute be raised? I thought this was affected

: > by training, but while when I trained for a fair length of time on one

: Strength does go up at the practice dummies, but very slowly. You'll find

: you'll hit your combat weapon skill ceiling (25 pts) and you'll then want to
: switch to a different weapon, e.g. dagger, or bare hands to keep building up
: your STR and DEX stats.

Lumberjacking raises strength. It does take awhile, but definitely works.
I brought my strength up from 45 to 48 last night through chopping trees.

--
Doug Bora
stig...@wwa.com

Michael Simonson

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Well, I managed to save a young lady's life tonight, at the cost of my
own - but it was great fun. Later, an orc Captain slaughtered about 4 or
5 of us...was very nasty.

> Lumberjacking raises strength. It does take awhile, but definitely works.
> I brought my strength up from 45 to 48 last night through chopping trees.

Great, thanks for the info - now all I need is an axe. :)

A few more questions...

1. Blank Scrolls - what are they good for, how are they used?

2. Must I have a bedroll to make a secure camp and log out safely, or is
a campfire & a secure camp enough?

3. Why can only posion be added to arrow tips or edged weapons, what
about the sleep or blindness potions?

One other point - I had been training in the guard post South of Yew
when I heard people battling outside with the Orc Captain - went out
onto the roof, and the small walkway, and thought I should be able to
fire arrows at the monsters from up there - no such luck.

Does this never work, and if not, why can't it?

Anthrage StormRider