Question to Veteran UO Players

John

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
here. How do you deal with pkers?

I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.

I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
shouldn't take with me.
I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.

Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
of fact, that's a stupid answer.

Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
starting to consider that, but I like UO.

I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
would be the most crowded shard to date.

Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
fun for others.

In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
will take them much, much longer to kill again.
That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
punishment doesn't fit the crime.
Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
pkers and reds. hehe
I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
evil. But this time, its permanent!
But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
us 2 to 1.

I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
either live with it, or quit the game.
I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
and quit like so many other people have done.

Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.

John

ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.
No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
rather shoot people than to help them.
(I'm know that last statement was uncalled for, but its the truth.
People are angry at something. Parents, teachers, classmates, spouses,
bosses, friends. And this is how some will react.)

Nick Pietrzak II

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Friend, where do you play? "They outnumber us 2 to 1" !!!???? That's
insane. Completely untrue. I have been playing since October '97. I
spent maybe 1 week with a PK character when the new rep system came into
effect and I felt there weren't enough. But it was just too hard. There
are two or three Veteran players for every red PK in any given location in
chesapeake. And at most locations, no red dares ever show his face. Most
of the roads in Britain are so riddled with guard towers no PK can pursue
you, and most of the dungeons have so many powerful characters ready for PvP
that a PK cannot stay but for minutes.

If you mean that on the rare occasions that a PK can gather enough
forces together for a fight, then the PK's can destroy one man alone... well
good. Lone travelers have ALWAYS been discouraged in this game. If they
get you, they MIGHT recoup enough for reagents. And I guarantee characters
of their power would make more fighting stupid monsters.

But on to your question, "how do you deal with PKers?" Easy... when
attacked I run. always. I have 2 of the most powerful characters in the
game, and when attacked... I run. always. When you don't know the number
of your assailants, and you don't know their skills, get out. Preferably by
recall. I have on most occasions returned to do battle in just minutes,
stripped of all valuables in case of death. Several times, my assailants
lay dead already and I realized that I could not have EVER been in danger.
Still, the smart thing was to run. Several times I have recalled back to
fight long drawn out battles, these depleted the PK's resources at little
cost to me, and gained me respect from others in the area, terrorized by the
pks. And several times I have died shortly after returning. Embarrassing,
but ANYONE can die. At these times I simply note if the PK acts with some
class or does a little dance of juvenile obscenity. The juveniles piss me
off so bad that I want throw my computer across the room. But then I
think... I'm gainfully employed and they aren't. Some day they will need to
ask me for a job in the real world. It helps.

But the classy ones I seek out. They have been the source of my most
positive experiences in the game. In and out of battle.

Now, if you want to change the game. Don't change the res system. If
anything it is responsible for the horrible increase in blue noto-pking by
being too punitive already. Change the recall system. Briefly we had a
system where recall was impossible into and out of deep dungeons. This was
perfect. Right now almost anyone can cross the country instantaneously. It
prevents retribution, it discourages group play and convoys. Limit recall
and let groups of people band together again for good or evil. This would
be an improvement.

Nick
playing Heph on Chessie (and some others)

Lars Friedrich

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
John wrote:
>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?
I kill them, get killed or try to get away
There aren't any other possibilities..

>Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>of fact, that's a stupid answer.

It is an answer. That you don't accept it as acceptable option is at the
moment your problem.

>Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

ohh..never seen a group of pkers greater than 5..

>I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>would be the most crowded shard to date.

and you would lose that bet...

>Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>fun for others.

I don't have to...I should perhaps but I don't have to...freedom of choice..

>In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
>someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>system.

fairer? for you?...hmmm..fair doesn't mean that what you like is good and
should be forced onto others and it doesn't mean that what you don't like is
bad and should be removed...there is a difference between fairness and
egoism.

>That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>will be more like RPG.

hu? more like RPG?...okay..you die, you are deleted...fine..but why only
murderers?

>Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
>enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>will take them much, much longer to kill again.

no...they will simply create newbie mages with ebolt scrolls and outnumber
you 3:1

>That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>punishment doesn't fit the crime.

ohh...the punishment doesn't fit the crime..thats your reason to not punish
them at all...really smart..

>I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>evil. But this time, its permanent!

and I bet you won't be part of that party because you prefer that others do
the work for you...either OSI or other players...but doing something
yourself...naaaah..

>I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
>either live with it, or quit the game.

Quit the game

>ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.

How do you define mature answers? answers which fortify your point of view?
answers which do not include insults?

*shrugs*

Shane Bole

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Get everquest start on a non-pvp server and throw away your tome of discord
when you start?

pvp will have some fun parts non-pvp has, but it will also have its
downsides like everything else.

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>
> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> shouldn't take with me.
> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>

> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>

> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>

> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> would be the most crowded shard to date.
>

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.
>

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the

> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good

> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.

> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> pkers and reds. hehe

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.
>

> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
> either live with it, or quit the game.

> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
> and quit like so many other people have done.
>
> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>
> John
>

> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.

Milllo

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
When you see a red, run. After a long time playing I found that it is the
only thing that works. Keep your backpack open with a recall scroll and rune
next to it. At ANY sign of trouble, recall immediately. If you wish to see
what the trouble was, dump all your loot and go back, but I usually just go
somewhere else.

Ishamael

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Punishment does not it???????
Yeah right no matter how good you are you die when you are red.
ANd you suffer stat loss. All fantasy books i have ever read has had
murderers and thiefs and things like that.
Damn i complain about pkers to but it whould not feel right if i coudl just
walk into decit fight monsters for hours and not gettign attacked even once.
I were a pker but i soon found out that 40 hours were WAY to much. ANd stat
loss were neither wery fun.
Either stay in town(and that is a real answer. If you do nto want to fight
back then it is the only way.)(ups forgot lets make osi fuck up pvp to so it
should fit a pvp newbie)
Hm a other thing how the hell did you manage to play the game for a year
without learning anything about pvp?

sme...@icubed.com

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
John wrote:

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?

Dealing with pks in what way? If you want to not be attacked, start
paying attention to things like how you move and what you wear.
Somebody that looks capable of taking the damage and dishing it back is
less likely to be attacked. If you want to be able to survive an
attack, be prepared. Something to break paralyze, which'll be anything
that'll do minor damage to you, like potions or magic trapped pouches
(this is the most common among PvPers), and a screen setup to speed your
ability to recall will help a lot. A horse works too, to help you get
away.

If, on the other hand, you want to be able to return the favor, all
that's there is experience.

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

So? A friend is still your best bet to surviving a fight. If the pks
concentrate on you, then your friend should be healing you, and vice
versa. Until you can get a recall off. Especially since greater heals
cost nearly half the mana of an e bolt or explosion.

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.

Keep in mind that PvP is not Pking. A PvPer chooses fights for
difficulty, whereas a Pk chooses fights for ease of killing....

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
> system.

No effect. Pks these days are mostly blue. They're the ones that kill
those who accidentally turn gray, or maybe just heal the lone red that's
doing the killing. As such, you'll see more red anti pks than red pks.
Besides of which, reds face enough as it is, stat loss, no towns except
for Buc's Den, the fact that more often than not, they'll be ganked on
sight by groups of blues....

> That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG.

An RPG? I'm sorry, but I'm on the side that believes that whether or
not a game deals with role-playing depends a lot more on the players
than on the game mechanics....

> Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
> enough. They only macro again.

Would you be willing to macro to regain 20 points of magery? Or magic
resist? Or even Eval Int? Do you have any idea how much these cost in
terms of time and gold at the high end of the skill? In fact, more
often than not, 80-100 takes maybe 5x the cost for 0-80.

Where as with a new character they
> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.

False. If they're willing to take stat loss, they'll be using low
maintenance skills. Such as weapon skills (0-100 in 2-3 days) or
high-mid level magery and eval int (60-70ish is plenty for scrolls, and
the eval int allows them to do damage), and since you can start a
character at 50 of each, starting a new character for low maintenance
characters is just as easy, sometimes easier than macroing skills back
up from stat loss. Especially since the supporting characters
(assassins and scribes) that make the low maintenance characters
dangerous won't be doing any killing.

And if they happen to be using high maintenance characters to pk, each
one will have several blue/grey people to heal them anyway.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.

Heh, you mean they were gray. And turned blue a couple minutes later.
And if that's not what you mean, then I have no idea where you're
playing, because red pks are few and far between in my experience. I'm
offering to start a character on your shard and you can show me where
all these red pks are. As long as its not the Atlantic shard anyway
(and even there, I've heard its gotten better now).

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!

Except its not permanent, given the ease of turning a new character into
a killer, not to mention it'll get that much harder, maybe even
impossible to kill each one, since each red will have even more
blue/grey players to heal them, and will merely recall at the first sign
of difficulty.

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.

I'd like to know where you're getting this stat. Pks outnumber
everybody else 2 to 1? Um....

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

Corwin of Amber (GM, SBR/LS, WE/ATL)

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?

Don't let the PKs run your game. Run theirs instead. Join the Skara
Brae Rangers on Lake Superior and learn how to defend yourself, and
give the PKs nothing.

http:\\members.xoom.com\sbr1

SBR is the original Lootless Army founded on this Newgroup.

Name withheld

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
"Lars Friedrich" <lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote:

>>Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>>pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

>ohh..never seen a group of pkers greater than 5..

I've been killed by people in a group that numbered over 15 people. I've seen
quite a few large groups being sandpit bullies holding a given area - there was
a guild that blue PKed anyone in Shame if it gets the chance. Different shards,
different scenes..

>>I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>>would be the most crowded shard to date.

>and you would lose that bet...

It would be pretty dam crowded.

Otara, Napa

JKoster436

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
well true it would be crowded but thats just because there would only be one
of them, if you made say 15 of them, i can pretty much gaurentee that the
existing shards would have more players, why does abyss have less you ask?
because its a crap server, its not stable, theres too many
advantages/disadvantages and part of Pvp is your char and time building him,
gates kill that for me. I like having the edge cause i earned it....

Raul

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Ok some may see this as a less than respectable way to handle PK's but here
goes. I have absolutly no use for PvP of any kind. I have been playing for well
over a year and I am not bored with it yet. If I am confronted with an obvious
PK situation I recall. I do this more to thwart any joy they get from killing
someone that has no interest in their activies than to keep from getting killed.
I have been around long enough that I have a ton of runes to interesting places
so if I recall away from one spot there is always another place to go. I keep a
supply of scrolls in the bank and at least one on me at all times I also keep a
couple of "safe" runes in case one is blocked I have another to fall back on.

Drake

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
John, as a veteran UO'r and PK myself, I think what you need to develop are
your 'survival skills'. I'm not talking GM fencing so you can better PVP
when you choose not to, but there are certain steps you can take so that you
may live a longer, more 'looty' life while ridding the Britannian terrain of
villanous creatures. Stratics offers a detailed pvp survival guide, which I
never used actually until I kinda read it one day LONG into my UO career and
many player-induced deaths later. I'll try to give you a short take on the
situation and suggest for the deeper meaning of pvp survival you refer to
the site I mentioned:

1.) Know thy enemy - your typical pk likes big ticket items and use
whatever means they can to get em. Watch for people running around you
(blues for sure) with id wands and stuff while your packin expensive stuff.
This is alot of times the recon force for the heavy hitters that will come
and relieve you of that silver heavy of power. Along this line, pack to die
when adventuring alone or with friends, even above ground. I can't stress
enough to ppl the importance of packin light. Those pk's are I can almost
guarantee you. They hope to minimize loss/maximize profit at any cost, and
load'n light is the first step. I guess I'm saying if you dont want to go
through life as a target, don't paint a bullseye on yer ass. =)

I could go on and on about not letting your STR fall too low even when you
clearly have the upperhand in a PVM fight.....the stratics site covers this
alot.

2.) Don't freak out. Practice the escape or fight ahead of time, and
before ever heading out, you should have in your head which path to take,
since you've packed yourself accordingly (see above). Take advantage of off
times, or a possibly some free time on a day off from work/school/whatever
to travel your favorite hunting grounds when the pk's aren't likely to be
around. Have a friend attack you and chase you if possible....sounds weird
but you should develop a pattern - say of recalling if you choose not to try
and defend - of escape.
An attacking pk should cause you no more stress than discovering you've run
out of all but your last mandrake and need to make a bank run soon.

3.) Run and move around. I also can't stress this enough, and I aint
talkin a straight line either. What took me awhile to realize is that a
moving target in UO, and one that moves very eratically in different
directions is very difficult to target, if not downright impossible on some
machines. Run and zigzag. Keep distance from archers, large distance and
keep moving and you'll do pretty good surviving/escaping them. As a rule of
thumb, when I suspect I'm about to be attacked, or that someone may have
those intentions, I begin to move around....not around them, but I open
distance and don't stand still, reason being, alot of uh hem, 3rd party prog
users will use the calm before the storm to target you with a dagger or
sewing to set you up for last target for the 4 ebolts they got waiting for
you.

Lastly John, OSI has deemed we won't get rid of them anytime soon so I guess
it boils down to survivability tactics for someone who doesn't want to fight
the pk player.

Read that stratics essay and if you have already and it hasn't helped then
hopefully someone else gets put on to it here that may get something from
it.

As an added bonus, it's good to watch this newsgroup, as I have from day 1,
so that you know what the latest kill tactics and defenses against them are.
Priceless source of info here.

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?

snip

Glaeken

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Hi John,

Best way to deal with PKs is not to let them get you down. Do your best to
keep em from killing you, of course, do the stuff with open pack, recall
macro or scroll, rune handy, etc. Remember that most of the stuff you
carry can be replaced pretty easily, if need be.

Join a guild, and adventure in groups. That will help a lot in dungeons.
Don't wear your best colored armor when alone in dungeons....you make a
great target that way. Get involved in a guild, and plan outings if nobody
else is doing it.

What shard are you on? TNO of Lake Superior is always looking for non-jerk
members. Or SBR is another good large guild. Check out some of the guild
pages, and join one on your shard. Best of luck.

Glaeken of Lake Superior, TNO

John wrote:

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>
> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> shouldn't take with me.
> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>
> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>

> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>

> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> would be the most crowded shard to date.
>

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.
>

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the

> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they

> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.

> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> pkers and reds. hehe

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.

wert...@earthlink.net

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
As crazy as it may sound, If you die that much, you may not be good
enough. You should be able
to resist enough eb/explodes to recall... (about 70 str) also, If you have
the magic trap spell, cast
it on a box, leave it trapped in your pack. When someone para's you it
will release you and usually give
you enough time to recall. Don't hesitate to recall.

DSMITH3

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
John,
I've developed a Grand Master Healer. There aren't many of us in the
game as a whole. I spend most my time at the Orc Fort in the new lands
healing, resing and helping the new to intermediate players, who then move
on to more difficult, advanced areas of the game.
There are a few, very few, good efficient red pk's out there. The advice
to leave is given. (I also have 100 run :-} ) Also there are the "gang pk"
who rampage in large numbers to make up for their lack of skill and honor.
The remainder of the red pk's I know, and have assisted to gain their
skills when new players, before they turned to the "dark side".
Only one or two have challenged me and I declined. Should they insist I
ask if they wish to be actively hunted by the hundreds I have helped and
resed, both blue and (now red) players. Following this question, and logical
thought, the issue never comes up again.
I strive to keep a neutral, above reproach, honorable character, and set
and example for the new players and the not quite fully evil ones. I have
even convinced a few to give up the pk life.
I know Dread Lords from the old days, that while pk, did so with more
style and have (yes, they still are around) an honor code of their own.
These same folks look with disdain on the current sate of PvP/PK in UO.
So to end this long reply;
Leave if you can, fight honorably if you must. Carry nothing you can not
afford to lose. Strive for honor in your own character regardless.

peace
The Glorious Binah Hokmah
Grand Master Healer
Great Lakes Shard.

Dark169

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
deleting the char would take it to far, but i think when a red or grey dies
they should betaken to jail and rezed with no choice to induce stat loss,
this would make it far more realistic, no reds macroing before getting
rezed. I would like to see the bounty system redone as well, parhaps people
with bad karma cant claim heads, gulid members with evil people in that
guild cant claim and other char's of evil people cant claim it would prevent
pks moving up on the board just to have there friend kill them. Maybe having
lord brithish offer a reward to people as a quest to seek certian reds out
ant kill them

Name withheld

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Two or three would be fine with me. And I'm not so sure you'd win that bet. My
impression is that when people get given a choice, many people choose a non-PvP
option at least some of the time, if not all.

Otara, Napa.

JubJub McRae

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
I decided I couldn't live with it, and didn't want to pay for it, so I
quit. It hurt to leave my smith behind, my tamer as well, their
houses, and all the stuff I had wored to get. Both characters I had a
great deal of fun playing, but ultimately, it just wasn't a fun
experience overall. Each good moment seemed to have a bad one which
marred it, and invariably this involved an unwarranted attack. I just
concluded that UO belonged to the PKs/PvPers, and I was just wasting
my time trying to carve out a nice little niche and play the game I
would have wanted. Oh well, I am having fun in that other game...

Name withheld

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
And thats where I'm heading - got it the other day (it only got here last week
or so). Just need time to play it now :).

Otara, Napa

João Luis

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:43:08 GMT, Jo...@EarthLink.net (John) wrote:

>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?

Run...

------//------

"I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm fresh out of bubblegum"

e-mail: raf...@esoterica.pt

Check out http://www.geocities.com/area51/cavern/5250/

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 23:28:09 +0200, "Ishamael" <isha...@online.no>
wrote:

>Punishment does not it???????
>Yeah right no matter how good you are you die when you are red.
>ANd you suffer stat loss. All fantasy books i have ever read has had
>murderers and thiefs and things like that.

Stat loss can be recovered by macroing. No big loss there.

>Damn i complain about pkers to but it whould not feel right if i coudl just
>walk into decit fight monsters for hours and not gettign attacked even once.
>I were a pker but i soon found out that 40 hours were WAY to much. ANd stat
>loss were neither wery fun.
>Either stay in town(and that is a real answer. If you do nto want to fight
>back then it is the only way.)(ups forgot lets make osi fuck up pvp to so it
>should fit a pvp newbie)

>Hm a other thing how the hell did you manage to play the game for a year
>without learning anything about pvp?

I have always recalled out. But I'm to a point where I'm tired of them
and want to fight back. And yes, I am a PvP newbie. Never had to deal
with it. I've PvP with friends before and it was about even. But I
can't deal with 2 pkers. It's not possible for me. Not possible for
anyone matter of fact. Unless the 2 pkers were lamers.
Ok. Lets say that I do fight 2 pkers. One would attack me and I would
attack him. Well as we beat each other, the other one would attack me
and heal the guy I was attacking. I have to heal myself. I would run
out of mana and GH's. And by some small chance that I did win, then I
would have to deal with the other one. See my point now? Guess all I
can do is run unless its just one. But you will never find a lone
pker.

John
Pacific
GM Tactics / GM Swords / Master Mage

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 17:45:36 -0400, sme...@icubed.com wrote:

>John wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>> here. How do you deal with pkers?
>
>Dealing with pks in what way? If you want to not be attacked, start
>paying attention to things like how you move and what you wear.
>Somebody that looks capable of taking the damage and dishing it back is
>less likely to be attacked. If you want to be able to survive an
>attack, be prepared. Something to break paralyze, which'll be anything
>that'll do minor damage to you, like potions or magic trapped pouches
>(this is the most common among PvPers), and a screen setup to speed your
>ability to recall will help a lot. A horse works too, to help you get
>away.

I act like any other character. I always wear platemail. I just
started using a magic trapped pouch. Works wonders. :) I didn't know
that potions worked also. I got to try that. Per say, a GH potion.

>If, on the other hand, you want to be able to return the favor, all
>that's there is experience.
>
>> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>
>So? A friend is still your best bet to surviving a fight. If the pks
>concentrate on you, then your friend should be healing you, and vice
>versa. Until you can get a recall off. Especially since greater heals
>cost nearly half the mana of an e bolt or explosion.

True.

>> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>> fun for others.
>
>Keep in mind that PvP is not Pking. A PvPer chooses fights for
>difficulty, whereas a Pk chooses fights for ease of killing....

But I have to know how to PvP in order to deal with them.

>> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
>> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>> system.
>
>No effect. Pks these days are mostly blue. They're the ones that kill
>those who accidentally turn gray, or maybe just heal the lone red that's
>doing the killing. As such, you'll see more red anti pks than red pks.
>Besides of which, reds face enough as it is, stat loss, no towns except
>for Buc's Den, the fact that more often than not, they'll be ganked on
>sight by groups of blues....

True. I would rather attack a grey or red than a blue.

>> That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>> will be more like RPG.
>
>An RPG? I'm sorry, but I'm on the side that believes that whether or
>not a game deals with role-playing depends a lot more on the players
>than on the game mechanics....

Life has rules and so should games. Pks almost have it easy here. The
longer they can stay alive, the more loot they can get.

>> Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
>> enough. They only macro again.
>
>Would you be willing to macro to regain 20 points of magery? Or magic
>resist? Or even Eval Int? Do you have any idea how much these cost in
>terms of time and gold at the high end of the skill? In fact, more
>often than not, 80-100 takes maybe 5x the cost for 0-80.

If I were rich, yeah I would. In a heart beat. Well after getting from
0 to 80, they still have to go to 80 to 100. Just that more time they
would have to macro.

>Where as with a new character they
>> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>> will take them much, much longer to kill again.
>
>False. If they're willing to take stat loss, they'll be using low
>maintenance skills. Such as weapon skills (0-100 in 2-3 days) or
>high-mid level magery and eval int (60-70ish is plenty for scrolls, and
>the eval int allows them to do damage), and since you can start a
>character at 50 of each, starting a new character for low maintenance
>characters is just as easy, sometimes easier than macroing skills back
>up from stat loss. Especially since the supporting characters
>(assassins and scribes) that make the low maintenance characters
>dangerous won't be doing any killing.

Any thing in the bank is gone. Any houses they own, will not have an
owner. They better have a friend who has a key. So yes, they would not
only lose their character, but anything that character owned. Now that
is a loss that they would have to consider.

>And if they happen to be using high maintenance characters to pk, each
>one will have several blue/grey people to heal them anyway.

True

>> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
>> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
>> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
>
>Heh, you mean they were gray. And turned blue a couple minutes later.
>And if that's not what you mean, then I have no idea where you're
>playing, because red pks are few and far between in my experience. I'm
>offering to start a character on your shard and you can show me where
>all these red pks are. As long as its not the Atlantic shard anyway
>(and even there, I've heard its gotten better now).

True. That is were OSI screwed up. If they kill a blue, they should
automatically go to red. Just because they are now a murderer.

>> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>> evil. But this time, its permanent!
>
>Except its not permanent, given the ease of turning a new character into
>a killer, not to mention it'll get that much harder, maybe even
>impossible to kill each one, since each red will have even more
>blue/grey players to heal them, and will merely recall at the first sign
>of difficulty.

True

>> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
>> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
>> us 2 to 1.
>
>I'd like to know where you're getting this stat. Pks outnumber
>everybody else 2 to 1? Um....

2 to 1 is a little bit out of bounds. But that's what it seems like.
Really.

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

You give very good points. I haven't looked at them from your view
point before. You've said what everyone else has said. Run. But the
way I was thinking was more towards why should they get away with
that? If I ran, they won regardless. Of course they didn't get my
loot, but they won the victory. And the next person they try to pk
maybe won't be so lucky of getting away.
Well I guess it boils down to this. Stay and fight. If I win, then
good for me. If I lose, I'll be poorer, but wiser.

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Wed, 26 May 1999 06:07:59 GMT, mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com
(JubJub McRae) wrote:

>I decided I couldn't live with it, and didn't want to pay for it, so I
>quit. It hurt to leave my smith behind, my tamer as well, their
>houses, and all the stuff I had wored to get. Both characters I had a
>great deal of fun playing, but ultimately, it just wasn't a fun
>experience overall. Each good moment seemed to have a bad one which
>marred it, and invariably this involved an unwarranted attack. I just
>concluded that UO belonged to the PKs/PvPers, and I was just wasting
>my time trying to carve out a nice little niche and play the game I
>would have wanted. Oh well, I am having fun in that other game...

Sorry to hear that. I hope I don't have to do that. But I do
understand where your coming from.

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 16:30:28 -0400, "Nick Pietrzak II"
<nic...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Friend, where do you play? "They outnumber us 2 to 1" !!!???? That's
>insane. Completely untrue.

Pacific. 2 to 1 is a little bit out of bounds. But that's what it
seems like. Really.

>I have been playing since October '97.
>I spent maybe 1 week with a PK character when the new rep system came into

>effect and I felt there weren't enough. But it was just too hard. There
>are two or three Veteran players for every red PK in any given location in
>chesapeake. And at most locations, no red dares ever show his face.

Maybe I'm just playing on the wrong shard.

>Most of the roads in Britain are so riddled with guard towers no PK can pursue
>you, and most of the dungeons have so many powerful characters ready for PvP
>that a PK cannot stay but for minutes.

Not on Pacific. And as for the dungeons,

>If you mean that on the rare occasions that a PK can gather enough
>forces together for a fight, then the PK's can destroy one man alone... well
>good. Lone travelers have ALWAYS been discouraged in this game. If they
>get you, they MIGHT recoup enough for reagents. And I guarantee characters
>of their power would make more fighting stupid monsters.

Not really. They do it for the thrill and protection. Plus when there
is no one around, then nab the monsters till someone shows up.

> But on to your question, "how do you deal with PKers?" Easy... when
>attacked I run. always. I have 2 of the most powerful characters in the
>game, and when attacked... I run. always.

I guess I'm gonna have to do that still.

>When you don't know the number
>of your assailants, and you don't know their skills, get out. Preferably by
>recall. I have on most occasions returned to do battle in just minutes,
>stripped of all valuables in case of death. Several times, my assailants
>lay dead already and I realized that I could not have EVER been in danger.
>Still, the smart thing was to run. Several times I have recalled back to
>fight long drawn out battles, these depleted the PK's resources at little
>cost to me, and gained me respect from others in the area, terrorized by the
>pks. And several times I have died shortly after returning. Embarrassing,
>but ANYONE can die. At these times I simply note if the PK acts with some
>class or does a little dance of juvenile obscenity.

>The juveniles piss me
>off so bad that I want throw my computer across the room. But then I
>think... I'm gainfully employed and they aren't. Some day they will need to
>ask me for a job in the real world. It helps.

I know what you mean. :)

> But the classy ones I seek out. They have been the source of my most
>positive experiences in the game. In and out of battle.
>
>Now, if you want to change the game. Don't change the res system. If
>anything it is responsible for the horrible increase in blue noto-pking by
>being too punitive already. Change the recall system. Briefly we had a
>system where recall was impossible into and out of deep dungeons. This was
>perfect. Right now almost anyone can cross the country instantaneously. It
>prevents retribution, it discourages group play and convoys. Limit recall
>and let groups of people band together again for good or evil. This would
>be an improvement.

So do you agree that something needs to be done?

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:22:36 -0500, Glaeken <jba...@swbell.net> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>Best way to deal with PKs is not to let them get you down. Do your best to
>keep em from killing you, of course, do the stuff with open pack, recall
>macro or scroll, rune handy, etc. Remember that most of the stuff you
>carry can be replaced pretty easily, if need be.

Yeah. I try not to get down. But being pked 4 times within 3 weeks is
too much for me. I can only replace items if i have the cash. Cash is
hard to come by when its hard to hunt.

>Join a guild, and adventure in groups. That will help a lot in dungeons.
>Don't wear your best colored armor when alone in dungeons....you make a
>great target that way. Get involved in a guild, and plan outings if nobody
>else is doing it.

I do belong to a guild. And we do go with each other. At least 3 to 5
members at a time. But even thats not enough. :( Sometimes.

>What shard are you on? TNO of Lake Superior is always looking for non-jerk
>members. Or SBR is another good large guild. Check out some of the guild
>pages, and join one on your shard. Best of luck.

Pacific. I haven't considered switching shards. But I'll keep that in
mind. :)

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 20:20:19 -0400, wert...@earthlink.net wrote:

>As crazy as it may sound, If you die that much, you may not be good
>enough.
I get attacked first before my friends and I do what I can so they can
recall out themselves.

>You should be able to resist enough eb/explodes to recall... (about 70 str) also, If you have

>the magic trap spell, cast it on a box, leave it trapped in your pack. When someone para's you it
>will release you and usually give you enough time to recall. Don't hesitate to recall.

Guess I'm gonna have to. :(

John

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 21:38:52 GMT, ori...@earthlink.net (OrionCA)
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:43:08 GMT, Jo...@EarthLink.net (John) wrote:
>
>>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>>here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

>Simple enough. Play where they aren't and when they aren't.
Not possible. They are here morning, noon and night. :(

>PKs hang
>around the dungeons, roads leading into towns, and put in appearances
>at the various mining spots.
I hunt with groups(3-5) where there are monsters. I hunt where the
money is good. Well the pks know where those spots are too. They want
my loot and my friends loot. And I usually get attacked first, I deal
with it so my friends can get out. Better one than all. :)

>Most, not all, are juveniles with school
>in the morning or want to macro off their murder counts while they
>sleep so they knock off before midnight during weeknights.
True. I've noticed a decline after midnight. But alas, summer is
coming up pretty quick. :(

Darius of Baja

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?

Stay away from them, fight back or run away basically. I'll give more
detailed after each of your questions.

> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.

If you're wearing your best and carrying that much loot, it's time to go
back to town and bank it. Never let yourself get too rich out in the field.
Carry only what you need.

As for best armor, this may be your weakness. True a higher AR is
advantageous, but ask yourself "Could I survive a fight without this?" If
the answer is "no" then you're probably fighting creatures above your skill.

THE best and most economical armor is a GM made chain plate combo: chain
legs, chain tunic, plate arms, plate gloves, plate gorget and closed helm.
AR 30 with a -5 to DEX. If you do mind slightly less AR, ring mail gloves
will give only a -3 DEX loss with AR 28. These suits usually run 1000-1500gp
on almost any player vendor. Shop around.

I wear one suit, have a spare suit and weapon in my guildhall and a spare
suit and weapon in the bank. I *expect* to die every time I go out hunting.
That's the only way you can deal with it. It's not so much the loss of gold
and equipment that hurts from a murder, it's the emotional strain of "I have
to work so hard to recover from this." I've written a small guide that goes
into this with a bit more detail at
http://members.xoom.com/RingofSteel/guide.htm I hope it helps.

> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> shouldn't take with me.
> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.

Many of us aren't.

> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> of fact, that's a stupid answer.

Nope. There are very few ways to make any money in town.

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

The question comes in of "how many friends." This is where guilds are
useful. Do you know of any noble guilds in your area? A guild can, and
should be like a family. You travel together in large groups which only an
army of PK's would attck, if you're attacked there are plenty of people to
dispense justice in your name, and most of all if you're worried about
"stuff," if you die your guildmates can loot you, rez you and restore you,
less fame and karma, back to normal.

Look around for a guild, jot down some names and abbreviations then go to
http://town.owo.com/guilds and look them up. If they're an organized, well
established guild they'll have a web page outlining their philosophy at
least. If you join a guild and don't like it, no big deal. Simply say "I
resign from my guild" and hit the road. However, don't burn any bridges. I
mean don't take equipment or money from the guild and THEN decide to leave.
You'll wind up with more enemies than you could shake a stick at.

> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> starting to consider that, but I like UO.

Hell no. EQ has been out now for months, the graphics STILL look like crap
and the few people that I personally know that have played it told me it
stinks. Since they play the sorts of games that I do, I can definitely trust
their judgment on it.

> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> would be the most crowded shard to date.

There are many here that would immediately leave behind a 2 year virtual
life, houses, boats and a considerable fortune to start over on a non PvP
shard. I'm one of them.

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.

No, again. PvP is a minor feature of UO that the juvenille-minded Quake and
Doom players seem to think is the major inent of the game. I don't need
human opponents for a challenge, and I definitely don't get my jollies from
seeing others suffer at my hands.

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the

> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they

> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.

A bit strict and extreme. I despise murderers, but I see them as a necessary
evil only because they are paying customers. If murdering, PKing and
thieving were done away with that would do away with a large chunk of the UO
populace. Without players, shards would begin to shut down.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.

> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> pkers and reds. hehe

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.

Not quite. Yes, it seems that way when you get attacked often, but in
reality I think the ratio is the reverse, at least on my shard. I frequent
certain areas constantly. I know of 3 murderers in a population of about
600-700 people. That's a pretty low ratio.

> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
> either live with it, or quit the game.

Live with it, learn from it and adapt.

> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
> and quit like so many other people have done.

Well, before you go that far, come visit us on Baja.

> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>
> John

Now for an overall suggestion.

If you go hunting in an area and you encounter PKs, don't go there any more.
PKs are creatures of habit mostly because they hunt the territory that they
know well so they will have the advantage over their victims. They rarely
will venture into unknown territory hunting victims because they could
encounter victims that know the area better than them and turn the tables on
them. This is quite the case in my favorite hunting spot I call "The Briar
Patch." It has tangles of brambles, small trees and dead ends formed by
rocks and trees. I would have no fear if a group of murderers attacked me
there. I am quite certain I could lose them in the tangles and probably kill
one of them when he got trapped in a dead end. Just like Brer Rabbit, that
Briar Patch is my home. Vary your hunting spots. Eventually you may find one
that has no signs of PKs during the times that you hunt. That's another
important factor; PKs tend to hunt after midnight to avoid being caught by
GM's for their cheating. Not all, but most.

I made the suggestion about your equipment: only what you need. I hope you
read my adventuring guid for more details. Here is what I typically carry.
A small crate within my backpack holds all my "goods." Yes, if I'm killed it
*may* make it easier for someone to take everything, but also if I get
rezzed it's easier for me to grab my gear back.
Within the crate I have a pouch holding 10-20 of each reagent. No more. I
could break them into 5 count piles to deter thieves, but I don't let anyone
stand that close to me.
A red backpack holds items that I intend to sell: leather braziers I make,
gems, empty backpacks, orc armor, boots and anything else that I don't
intend to keep.
Another backpack within the crate holds food and gold.
My tinker tools, 100 or less ingots, a carpentry tool, a sewing kit, a rune
to my guildhouse and a rune to Minoc lie loosely in the crate.
I play with my main backpack, the crate and the reagent pouch open at the
bottom (windowed and expanded area). I keep two recall scrolls, two greater
heals, a nightsight potion and a gate scroll in the reagent pouch for
emergencies.
Then, of course, there's my GM made chain/plate armor which I described, my
GM katana and my GM halberd.

All told if I die, I lose maybe 2500gp worth of stuff. All replaceable
within an hour of hunting and tailoring.

I cannot stress stongly enough about being a member of a guild. They can
hunt with you, they can help you out in a bind, but most importantly you
gain a close group of friends that you can really trust.

I hunt by myself sometimes, but I've found a few places that have never been
despoiled by murderers. I'd tell you where they are, but then they would
know wouldn't they. :-) When hunting I never keep a weapon in my hands. My
first reaction to a red attacking me is to run, try to hide and recall out.
Sometimes this has been unecessary, but most of the times it has saved my
life and saved me from an hour of work. I once was attacked by a murderer
after months of never being attacked. I heard his bow shot, saw the message,
then heard a couple of clangs as I auto-defended with my katana (I had just
killed an ettin) when he stepped too close and another bow shot. I
immediately disarmed and recalled. To my chagrin when I entered town, I
discoverd that I had lost a total of 3 hit points. Geez! Who was that loser.
I immediately recalled back to take him on, but I couldn't find him. Go
figure. I'd guess that my katana did a bit more than 3hp damage with two
hits. :-)

> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.
> No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
> rather shoot people than to help them.
> (I'm know that last statement was uncalled for, but its the truth.
> People are angry at something. Parents, teachers, classmates, spouses,
> bosses, friends. And this is how some will react.)

You'll proably get flames for that, but it doesn't apply to me and I agree
with it.

Good luck.
Go with the virtues.
--
The Honorable Darius, guildmaster of Ring of Steel
http://members.xoom.com/RingofSteel

Jeff Gentry

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
John (Jo...@EarthLink.net) wrote:
: I act like any other character. I always wear platemail. I just

This right here shows why you're being attacked. You should rephrase
that to "I act like any other monsterbasher character with little
PvP experience". The key is to exude a sense of "PvP ability and
readiness". Hell, I've had newbie chars that couldn't last 3 seconds
who never got attacked, even in the heyday of blue pks - simply because
of "attitude".

Platemail is like a giant sign that says "I only can fight monsters.
I'll fall over dead easy. I have good lewt". Don't wear it.

Also - what weapons do you use? You'll find that PvPers tend to
use diff weapons then monster bashers. Use the PvPer weapons - even
if they're not as good as PvM weapons in PvM.

Look around at PvP characters and PvM characters. Look closely. You
*will* see a difference in the way they "carry themselves". Emulate
a PvP character, and people will think you'r just "slumming it" and
killing some monsters, and you'll be left alone more.

: But I have to know how to PvP in order to deal with them.

Not really. You can nip a lot of attacks in the bud simply by not
looking like a giant target that can't PvP.

: 2 to 1 is a little bit out of bounds. But that's what it seems like.
: Really.

2 on 1 is nothing if you know how to survive.

Jeff Gentry

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Dark169 (dar...@home.com) wrote:
: deleting the char would take it to far, but i think when a red or grey dies

: they should betaken to jail and rezed with no choice to induce stat loss,
: this would make it far more realistic, no reds macroing before getting

Why don't we take magic, dragons, orcs, etc out of the game. That would
make it far more realisticc. Look cocheese, the "macroing" thing was
known from the get-go. It was stated that it would be like "soft jail
time" - they could choose "jail time" (taking themselves out of the game
by working off the time) or they could take stat loss.

Nick Pietrzak II

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
> So do you agree that something needs to be done?
>
> John
> Pacific
> GM Tactics / GM Swords / Master Mage

If I were making my own game, I would do it differently. If the hundred
thousand or so other players in the game each got to create a game, they
would create one hundred thousand different games.

Although I WOULD make changes if I were in charge, I do NOT agree that
something NEEDS to be done. I am waiting patiently for the "evil/hero"
system to see if this improves the blue PK situation. There seems to be no
intention to change recall, and I file that away under my "pipe dreams"
file. In the meantime I will play this ever evolving game, enjoy it, and
not feel that my changes are in the nature of life or death for UO.

-nick

Name withheld

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
I disagree. Its quite clear they didnt consider how many players would be
able to just leave their characters on overnight to get rid of their count, ie
when they would never have been playing anyway.

Otara, Napa

Tinarandil

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message
> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?
Kill them.

> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
Never happened to me.

> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> shouldn't take with me.
> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
PKs rarely attack in packs, and when they do, it is usually only one or two
that will attack you, the rest sit back and taunt.

> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
No, it's a good answer. You ask how to deal with PKers, the most logical
answer is not to give them the ability to stike at you.

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
PKs do NOT outnumber us. For every PK, there are probably a hundred
non-PKs.

> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
No, please. Buy EQ. And LEAVE.

> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> would be the most crowded shard to date.
You would lose that bet, and I would own your house. :)

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.
No, I don't HAVE to do anything. I like PvP. I attack people who wear good
armor, and have lots of loot. Because that means they would be capable of
defending themselves, if their fingers weren't too chubby to click right.

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
Fair? For it to be fair, everyone would have to have the same skills, and
the same equipment, and the same ability IRL.

> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
Yeah, we all know that in RPGs, bad guys can't come back but good guys can.
That's fair. RPGs are all different, which one are you talking about? D&D,
where the same bad guys come back every other adventure? Mechwarrior, where
EVERYONE dies after a few hits and NEVER comes back? (My personal
preference, by the way)

> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.
Not much, much longer. About an hour longer.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
So you decide not to punish them at all. Smart.

> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> pkers and reds. hehe
Yeah, hehe. CAPITALIZE, DAMN YOU!

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!
But then, wouldn't it be better if it was permanent for you as well?

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.
No, they are not going to do it because it is a dumb idea.

> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
> either live with it, or quit the game.
> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
> and quit like so many other people have done.
GOOD!

> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>
> John
>
> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.
Define mature.

> No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
> rather shoot people than to help them.
Surprisingly, you want to make PKs stay dead for good, then talk about how
killing is not a solution. Besides, I would rather shoot you than have to
listen to your idiotic posts.

Tinarandil

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

> On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:22:36 -0500, Glaeken <jba...@swbell.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >
> >Best way to deal with PKs is not to let them get you down. Do your best
> >keep em from killing you, of course, do the stuff with open pack, recall
> >macro or scroll, rune handy, etc. Remember that most of the stuff you
> >carry can be replaced pretty easily, if need be.
> Yeah. I try not to get down. But being pked 4 times within 3 weeks is
> too much for me. I can only replace items if i have the cash. Cash is
> hard to come by when its hard to hunt.
Tailoring.

> >Join a guild, and adventure in groups. That will help a lot in dungeons.
> >Don't wear your best colored armor when alone in dungeons....you make a
> >great target that way. Get involved in a guild, and plan outings if
nobody
> >else is doing it.
> I do belong to a guild. And we do go with each other. At least 3 to 5
> members at a time. But even thats not enough. :( Sometimes.
I've taken on six GM mages at once with a master archer, numbers mean
nothing.

> >What shard are you on? TNO of Lake Superior is always looking for
non-jerk
> >members. Or SBR is another good large guild. Check out some of the guild
> >pages, and join one on your shard. Best of luck.
> Pacific. I haven't considered switching shards. But I'll keep that in
> mind. :)

Tinarandil

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT, MORON!

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

sme...@icubed.com

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999 20:20:19 -0400, wert...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >As crazy as it may sound, If you die that much, you may not be good
> >enough.
> I get attacked first before my friends and I do what I can so they can
> recall out themselves.

It's not the one that gets attacks first that should be trying to slow
the opposition down. Best way to get a group out in one piece is to
have somebody not being attacked heal the ones being attacked until they
get off a recall. Net effect: damage is spread out a bit, and a bit
more time for the group as a whole because the opposition needs to
switch targets. Every little advantage helps.

> >You should be able to resist enough eb/explodes to recall... (about 70 str) also, If you have
> >the magic trap spell, cast it on a box, leave it trapped in your pack. When someone para's you it
> >will release you and usually give you enough time to recall. Don't hesitate to recall.
> Guess I'm gonna have to. :(

Recall needs not be completely a defensive tactic. Something I tend to
do is mark a rune in the same level or general location as where I'm
hunting. If I get in trouble, I can recall, heal, and run right back
in.

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

sme...@icubed.com

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999 17:45:36 -0400, sme...@icubed.com wrote:
>
> >Dealing with pks in what way? If you want to not be attacked, start
> >paying attention to things like how you move and what you wear.
> >Somebody that looks capable of taking the damage and dishing it back is
> >less likely to be attacked. If you want to be able to survive an
> >attack, be prepared. Something to break paralyze, which'll be anything
> >that'll do minor damage to you, like potions or magic trapped pouches
> >(this is the most common among PvPers), and a screen setup to speed your
> >ability to recall will help a lot. A horse works too, to help you get
> >away.
> I act like any other character. I always wear platemail. I just
> started using a magic trapped pouch. Works wonders. :) I didn't know
> that potions worked also. I got to try that. Per say, a GH potion.

Ah, what you mean is you act like any other PvM (player vs monster)
oriented characters. Always move in order to put yourself in the most
beneficial position. Many PvP oriented people I've seen seem to
*always* be moving while in dangerous locations for that reason,
seemingly "on the edge", and it does seem to boost my ability to react.
You want to seem as capable as you possibly can, and perhaps even
*willing* to fight (but not too much).

Plate armor is rarely used by PvP characters for two reasons: dex loss
and slow mana regeneration. For the warrior type, you might want to
consider something known as an "archer suit" (exceptional chain tunic,
leggings, non plate helm, plate gorget, and either plate or ring mail
sleeves and gloves) in order to keep your dex up. If the opposition
sees that you're taking every little advantage that would affect PvP
combat, then they won't see you as an easy kill. Consequently, not so
likely to attack you. Likewise, use a weapon geared towards PvP rather
than PvM, even though the weapon may work less well against monsters.

As a mage, I wear no armor at all, as this boosts mana regeneration.
And while I rarely stop to meditate, this helps present the idea that I
have an extremely high passive regeneration rate, that is, gm or near gm
meditation skill. I am also a scribe. If I see somebody around that I
might have suspicions about, any high level spell I cast *always* comes
from a scroll. In other words, those I don't want to fight will never
see me fail an eighth circle spell. If you were a pk looking for an
easy kill, how easy do I look?

Potions in general are great :) Not only the greater heals (10-30
healed) and greater explosions (10-20 damage, also good as a last resort
to break paralyze). With a warrior, upon the start of a fight, drink a
greater strength potion, and start the bandages going from the
beginning. Total refresh is vital for the ability to push through
things, as well as to keep weapon speed up. Poison on the weapon boosts
damage and gives your opponent something else to deal with. Poison
potions can also be used against paralyze (just don't drink the strong
stuff). Nightsight potions are cheaper and quicker to use than the
spell (very important if the lights go out while you're otherwise
occupied).
Greater agility potions.... oh, well, these do seem rather useless.

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

Damocles

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On Wed, 26 May 1999 06:07:59 GMT, mrju...@REMOVETHISPART.hotmail.com
(JubJub McRae) wrotd:

>I decided I couldn't live with it, and didn't want to pay for it, so I
>quit. It hurt to leave my smith behind, my tamer as well, their
>houses, and all the stuff I had wored to get. Both characters I had a
>great deal of fun playing, but ultimately, it just wasn't a fun
>experience overall. Each good moment seemed to have a bad one which
>marred it, and invariably this involved an unwarranted attack. I just
>concluded that UO belonged to the PKs/PvPers, and I was just wasting
>my time trying to carve out a nice little niche and play the game I
>would have wanted. Oh well, I am having fun in that other game...

Hey, that reminds me, now that I'm back in town I have to cancel my
account in that other game.

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark.
It scares you witless,
But in time you see things clear and stark.
- Elvis Costello, "I Want You"

Damocles

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:43:08 GMT, Jo...@EarthLink.net (John) wrotd:

>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?

John, the key to dealing with pkillers is situational awareness. You
have to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em, basically. In
your case, where your skills are based around fighting monsters, most
of the time you will want to fold'em. Always recall when faced with
attacks from more than one person...ignore the posts in this thread
about how you should be able to take on multiple attackers. Most
can't, and you shouldn't try. It is not a victory for them when you
recall out, far from it...they will do everything in their power to
keep you from doing so. If possible, work your magery to 72.1 (the
point at which casting recall is 100% successful). If you do not use
magic for any other purpose, just carry around 8 root, moss and pearl
so you can recall out when necessary.

Learning to actually fight back when pks attack is almost certainly
not worth the time it will take. If you want to pursue that, do not
attempt to change your current character, just create a new one and
tailor it for the purpose. Caveat: if you hunt with your friends and
all of you work on your skills, you can turn yourselves into an
effective anti-pk force. The key to that is coordination and
discipline.

Other tips:

1) Hunt in T2A. PK attacks are much less frequent there, being mostly
of the "kill the grey" kind which are easily avoided by not turning
grey.

2) Even if the area seems clear, recall out when you get to a certain
point of loot. Don't stay in the same area with 3 or 4K worth of
stuff. Recall out, bank your stuff, and then go back.

Recall is the key to survival in the wilderness. 90% + of all pk
attacks will fail if you know when to say "Kal Ort Por".

John

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On Thu, 27 May 1999 00:08:00 -0400, "Tinarandil" <ZML...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I would like to say to you, you seem like an angry person. I was going
to say more about this, but then realized, why?. Anything I do say,
you'll just twist around to fit your needs and problems. As you read
this you are probably pulling you hair out in a fit of anger.
Every one of your answers was very negative. That tells me something
about you and your lifestyle.
I'm not about to get into a flame war with you. I'm not going to give
you the pleasure of that. You may get the last word in, but your last
words will mean nothing to me or anyone else. :)

Anyhow, this is what I thought of your answers.

>John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

>> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>> here. How do you deal with pkers?

>Kill them.
Your mentality of thinking.

>> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
>> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
>> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>Never happened to me.

Using a 3rd party program?

>> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
>> shouldn't take with me.
>> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>PKs rarely attack in packs, and when they do, it is usually only one or two
>that will attack you, the rest sit back and taunt.

That is till the pks are losing. Are they really going to let their
friends die?

>> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>No, it's a good answer. You ask how to deal with PKers, the most logical
>answer is not to give them the ability to stike at you.

Do you ever leave your home and have all the windows covered up? I'm
not about to stay in town. I just wanted to know on how to deal with
them. Can't do that in town. Besides, seems like you couldn't come up
with a better answer. :)

>> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>PKs do NOT outnumber us. For every PK, there are probably a hundred
>non-PKs.

Then why when I go places someone is being pked? And its not the pks
getting pked. 2 to 1 is stretching a bit, but that what it seems like.

>> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
>> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>No, please. Buy EQ. And LEAVE.

Again, your mentality of thinking.

>> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>> would be the most crowded shard to date.
>You would lose that bet, and I would own your house. :)

Think again. Opps, you have to start thinking before you can think
again. Ask players you DON'T know. Not your friends who help you pk.
Want to start a poll here and let the readers respond?
Subject: If OSI had a shard that didn't allow PvP, would you play on
that shard?

>> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>> fun for others.
>No, I don't HAVE to do anything. I like PvP. I attack people who wear good
>armor, and have lots of loot. Because that means they would be capable of
>defending themselves, if their fingers weren't too chubby to click right.

I wasn't questioning if you liked PvP or not. Attacking one on one is
fine. That's fair. Not 3 on 1. That's PvPPP. Who is it that has the
fun then?

>> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
>Fair? For it to be fair, everyone would have to have the same skills, and
>the same equipment, and the same ability IRL.

Fair being where no more than one person can attack you.
And a lot of people don't macro.

>> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
>Yeah, we all know that in RPGs, bad guys can't come back but good guys can.
>That's fair. RPGs are all different, which one are you talking about? D&D,
>where the same bad guys come back every other adventure? Mechwarrior, where
>EVERYONE dies after a few hits and NEVER comes back? (My personal
>preference, by the way)

It was just a suggestion. I've read the other post replying to this.
It didn't go over to well. I will admit I was wrong. Can you? (And I'm
not talking about this statement)

>> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>> will take them much, much longer to kill again.
>Not much, much longer. About an hour longer.

Again, using a 3rd party program?

>> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
>So you decide not to punish them at all. Smart.

Why should the red's die, when all they do is macro off the murder
counts, then again macro back the skills they lost? All they lost was
time and little money. They loot every ones regs and stuff so they
have enough to gamble with.

Well said! :)

>> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>> evil. But this time, its permanent!
>But then, wouldn't it be better if it was permanent for you as well?

Because I was pked? It would only affect the reds. Not the blues or
grays.

>> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
>> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
>> us 2 to 1.
>No, they are not going to do it because it is a dumb idea.

Yet again, your mentality of thinking.

>> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
>> either live with it, or quit the game.
>> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
>> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
>> and quit like so many other people have done.
>GOOD!

That's a poor response.

>> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>>
>> John
>>
>> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.
>Define mature.

Easy. Someone who can have constructive ideas. Not destructive. In
which case, you shouldn't have replied to this post in the beginning
because of your immature answers.

>> No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
>> rather shoot people than to help them.
>Surprisingly, you want to make PKs stay dead for good, then talk about how
>killing is not a solution. Besides, I would rather shoot you than have to
>listen to your idiotic posts.

Now out of all the answers you gave, this tops the cake! I just
described someone that shouldn't post to this message, but you do
anyway. So? When did you quit school Mr. ImKeWl? I'm gonna guess about
8th grade.
One question for you. If my post was so idiotic, why did you spend the
time reading and then replying to it? I got to hear this one.

John

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On 25 May 1999 16:05:21 -0500, "Lars Friedrich"
<lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote:

>John wrote:
>>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>>here. How do you deal with pkers?

>I kill them, get killed or try to get away
>There aren't any other possibilities..
I guess those are the only possibilities.

>>Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>>of fact, that's a stupid answer.

>It is an answer. That you don't accept it as acceptable option is at the
>moment your problem.
Well it is an answer, but it is a stupid answer.

>>Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>>pks out numbers us 2 to 1.

>ohh..never seen a group of pkers greater than 5..
Several times.

>>I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>>would be the most crowded shard to date.

>and you would lose that bet...
I really don't think so. But that is just my opinion.

>>Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>>questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>>fun for others.

>I don't have to...I should perhaps but I don't have to...freedom of choice..
Your right. You don't have to. But don't you like it when other people
don't intrude on your fun?

>>In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if

>>someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>>system.

>fairer? for you?...hmmm..fair doesn't mean that what you like is good and
>should be forced onto others and it doesn't mean that what you don't like is
>bad and should be removed...there is a difference between fairness and
>egoism.
Not for me, but for everyone. The reds gets to kill and loot as much
as they want when they want. I was just say when they die, they lose
everything that is with their character. Of course they can give all
their loot to a blue friend if case this did happen. It was just an
suggestion.

>>That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>>will be more like RPG.

>hu? more like RPG?...okay..you die, you are deleted...fine..but why only
>murderers?
Thats the price of being red and dying.

>>Losing skills upon resurrection is not good

>>enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>>would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>>will take them much, much longer to kill again.

>no...they will simply create newbie mages with ebolt scrolls and outnumber
>you 3:1
Yes and no. Yes, they can just create mages and get ebolts scrolls.
But their str,dex and int will be low along with other skills.
No. The ratio will be the same. Same user, different character.

>>That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>>punishment doesn't fit the crime.

>ohh...the punishment doesn't fit the crime..thats your reason to not punish
>them at all...really smart..

Why should the red's die, when all they do is macro off the murder
counts, then again macro back the skills they lost? All they lost was
time and little money. They loot every ones regs and stuff so they
have enough to gamble with.

>>I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>>evil. But this time, its permanent!

>and I bet you won't be part of that party because you prefer that others do
>the work for you...either OSI or other players...but doing something
>yourself...naaaah..
Nope. Since I get killed by pks while hunting anyway, what's the
differance just hunting them?

>>I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
>>either live with it, or quit the game.

>Quit the game
Your "one way" of thinking. At least I have a chose.

>>ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.

>How do you define mature answers?
Constructive answers. Not destructive ones.
Some of your answers were constructive. Some were not. But all in all,
I'm sure you were just tring to understand what I was saying. And you
were just stating your opinions from my view point.
At least your answers were more constructive and mature than that one
guy, Tinarandil.

>answers which fortify your point of view?
No.

>answers which do not include insults?
Yes.

John

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Hail Drake.

Out of everyone posts, you were very thorough and straight forward.
And I will take all your ideas and suggestions to heart. I even
printed it out so I can refer to it later. :)

It's just that lately, I've been getting pked. More often now for some
reason or another. I hate to recall out and leave my friends behind.
Maybe that's why I've been getting wacked more. I feel like I'm backed
up against the wall these days when encountering pks. True, I know
very little PvP. I never had to deal with it before, because I wasn't
really sure about my skills, so I always recalled out.
(I don't want to hear from anyone about my skills not being good
enough. I am GM tactics, GM swords, Master Mage among other skills. I
can handle myself against one pk).

But what really bothers me the most is that they have to gang bang me.
I stand no chance against that. They are basically acting like thugs.
Some of them are using 3rd party programs. One would paralyze me and
the rest would attack. I can't recall out if I'm paralyzed, so I open
my magic trapped pouch. As soon as that is done, I'm paralyzed yet
again. By then its too late. I go down for the count. At least the one
that paralyzed me also gets a murder count.

I have no problem what's so ever about pks. It adds the risk within
the game. If its one on one, I have a chance. If I should die because
he was better than me, I can then honor him. It would be better if he
can rez me and/or gate me to a town. But he does not have to do that.
I would rather be gated back to a town than being rez'ed. He might
think its funny if he killed me again so I can lose more fame.
This is very unlikely though. But you never know.
Matter of fact, I've never been rez'ed or gated back to town by a pk.

I will be a little embarrassed, but at least I won't feel totally
pissed because 2 or more was on me.

I can understand why they would have to pk in packs. Its safer for
them. But if they are out gunned, they will not attack first. They
have three options they can do.
1.) Icq reinforcements to come and wait till they get there.
2.) Go somewhere else and find a smaller group of people.
3.) Help the people fight monsters. They will be watching if anyone
goes down and other peoples hit points. In case they have the upper
hand in the situation.

Thanks for your post and listening and getting this off my chest. :)

John

John

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
>I've taken on six GM mages at once with a master archer, numbers mean
>nothing.
Like I've asked before. What 3rd party program you using?
You would be lying if you say you didn't use one.
I suppose you could take on 6 poison elemental's too?

Ted Assur

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John:

Do you think it's in OSI best interest (i.e. financially) to change the PK
system? I don't think so. I think they're dragging their feet because of
possible $$$ ramifications.

Ted

John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>

> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> shouldn't take with me.
> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>

> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>

> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>

> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>

> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> would be the most crowded shard to date.
>

> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> fun for others.
>

> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the

> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good

> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> will take them much, much longer to kill again.

> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> punishment doesn't fit the crime.

> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> pkers and reds. hehe

> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> evil. But this time, its permanent!

> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> us 2 to 1.
>

> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
> either live with it, or quit the game.

> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
> and quit like so many other people have done.
>

> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>
> John
>

> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.

> No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
> rather shoot people than to help them.

Jeff Gentry

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
sme...@icubed.com wrote:
: Plate armor is rarely used by PvP characters for two reasons: dex loss

: and slow mana regeneration. For the warrior type, you might want to

Not only that, but it is like puttinga giant "kick me" sign on yourself,
because of that fact. Since most PvPers *don't* wear plate, most
plate wearers *aren't* PvPers and thus aren't all that scary
no matter *what* their skills and equipment are. Plus, that plate
is pretty valuable.

Jeff Gentry

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Name withheld (sp...@spammity.com.au) wrote:
: I disagree. Its quite clear they didnt consider how many players would be
: able to just leave their characters on overnight to get rid of their count, i: when they would never have been playing anyway.

I specifically remember the conversation coming up on COB-dev board
prior to the creation of the patch, of which one of the participants
was one Raph Koster. He made the statement that it still boiled down
to that they'd be limited to what they felt was an "acceptable" amount
of killing.

Yuri Gorlinski

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John wrote:
> Ok. Lets say that I do fight 2 pkers. One would attack me and I would
> attack him. Well as we beat each other, the other one would attack me
> and heal the guy I was attacking. I have to heal myself. I would run
> out of mana and GH's. And by some small chance that I did win, then I
> would have to deal with the other one. See my point now?

If you're talking about just standing there and going toe-to-toe
with two PKs, that would be a very poor strategy... A better way
to handle the situation would be to make them chase you, and then try
to split them up so that you can deal with 'em one at a time. But
when I'm soloing, I usually just run away or recall when I'm attacked
by multiple PKs... There is no dishonor in that.

> Guess all I
> can do is run unless its just one. But you will never find a lone
> pker.

Bullshit. Last weekend I killed a solo murderer named Miner who
was hanging out near the Yew moongate and being a nuisance... Later
that night, when I got sick of wading through the cesspool that is
the Atlantic shard, I logged onto Sonoma and did some solo hunting
with my PK character... Lone PKers are definitely out there, I tend
to encounter solo reds more often than larger groups of 'em.

Ygorl, Atlantic

Jeff Gentry

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John (Jo...@EarthLink.net) wrote:
: >I've taken on six GM mages at once with a master archer, numbers mean

Once again, you show your lack of PVP knowledge, which is crucial
to your original problem. Mages are *far* more advantageous with
3rd party apps than Archers are. archers don't really need them at all.

sme...@icubed.com

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John wrote:

> I have always recalled out. But I'm to a point where I'm tired of them
> and want to fight back. And yes, I am a PvP newbie. Never had to deal
> with it. I've PvP with friends before and it was about even. But I
> can't deal with 2 pkers. It's not possible for me. Not possible for
> anyone matter of fact. Unless the 2 pkers were lamers.

Story: Single pk attacks me (mage) and one other person (melee). When
it became obvious that I intended to heal the warrior until the pk ran
out of mana, hit and run, suddenly I found myself alone against the
better skilled and better equipped pk (all I was carrying was reagents,
no pouches, no potions). I died. Warrior runs back in and dies even
faster since he had been depending on me for heals.

> Ok. Lets say that I do fight 2 pkers. One would attack me and I would
> attack him. Well as we beat each other, the other one would attack me
> and heal the guy I was attacking. I have to heal myself. I would run
> out of mana and GH's. And by some small chance that I did win, then I

> would have to deal with the other one. See my point now? Guess all I

> can do is run unless its just one. But you will never find a lone
> pker.

This is *not* how you fight when outnumbered. When outnumbered, your
goal is to even the odds as much as possible. That is, you move (use
the terrain) and cast spells (paralyze, walls, recall, teleport) to
divide up the group. You run. And when you have a 1 on 1 situation
(preferably with the opposing group's healer first), that's when you go
for kills.

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

sme...@icubed.com

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John wrote:

> >I've taken on six GM mages at once with a master archer, numbers mean
> >nothing.
> Like I've asked before. What 3rd party program you using?
> You would be lying if you say you didn't use one.
> I suppose you could take on 6 poison elemental's too?

Third party programs have very little effect among experienced
players.....

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

Bob Roland

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

Ted Assur wrote:

> John:
>
> Do you think it's in OSI best interest (i.e. financially) to change the PK
> system? I don't think so. I think they're dragging their feet because of
> possible $$$ ramifications.
>
> Ted

I think it goes deeper than that. Look, for the most part the "Pk
problem" has been nipped. I rarely see them anymore. The system is
working, keeping the predator/prey ratio to a reasonable level. As
we've seen in EQ, a PK switch just does not make for a good game.

I think most of my positive experiences in the game have come as a
result of PKs...fighting eveil is as satisfying as being evil. I would
have hated to lived in a world where I didn't have to learn to fight to
defend the innocent.

Any furhur atempt to "fix" he PK issue would result in the possible loss
of players not only from PKs but those who enjoy having to solve the
problem for ourselves.

Great Bob

Bob Roland

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

John wrote:

> But what really bothers me the most is that they have to gang bang me.
> I stand no chance against that. They are basically acting like thugs.
> Some of them are using 3rd party programs. One would paralyze me and
> the rest would attack. I can't recall out if I'm paralyzed, so I open
> my magic trapped pouch. As soon as that is done, I'm paralyzed yet
> again. By then its too late. I go down for the count. At least the one
> that paralyzed me also gets a murder count.

But John, because of the openess of combat, yu can use the same tacxtics
against them. With the noto system, this places the PK at the
disadvantage. They risk stat loss, you don't. If I may, why don't you
try joining a group of those who hunt down the vermin. First off, it'll
teach you valuable lssons in PvP combat and second it will help you
survive next tim you're alone.

I've sen people fight with 30 to 1 odds against them and win (a win
being defined as killing some of your oppnents and suviving in thisa
case). It can be done.....

If you were to make it impossible to kill in a group, it would also make
it impossible to kill PKs as a group. That really eould be a loss.

Great Bob

Damocles

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On Thu, 27 May 1999 13:11:11 -0600, Bob Roland <b...@nilenet.com>
wrotd:

>Ted Assur wrote:
>>
>> John:
>>
>> Do you think it's in OSI best interest (i.e. financially) to change the PK
>> system? I don't think so. I think they're dragging their feet because of
>> possible $$$ ramifications.
>>
>> Ted
>
>I think it goes deeper than that. Look, for the most part the "Pk
>problem" has been nipped. I rarely see them anymore. The system is
>working, keeping the predator/prey ratio to a reasonable level. As
>we've seen in EQ, a PK switch just does not make for a good game.

While I agree with your stance on a pk switch within UO, Bob, I think
not having one in EQ would have made the game a total disaster. The pk
switch is not why the game is a failure for me, it's because they
didn't take the time to flesh out the other parts of the game. It's as
if they decided having a switch was enough and that all players needed
with that in effect were some monsters to bash.

Drake

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
You're most certainly welcome. I wish you the best of luck and if there's
anything else I can help with, just holler!

> Hail Drake.
>
> Out of everyone posts, you were very thorough and straight forward.
> And I will take all your ideas and suggestions to heart. I even
> printed it out so I can refer to it later. :)
>
> It's just that lately, I've been getting pked. More often now for some
> reason or another. I hate to recall out and leave my friends behind.
> Maybe that's why I've been getting wacked more. I feel like I'm backed
> up against the wall these days when encountering pks. True, I know
> very little PvP. I never had to deal with it before, because I wasn't
> really sure about my skills, so I always recalled out.
> (I don't want to hear from anyone about my skills not being good
> enough. I am GM tactics, GM swords, Master Mage among other skills. I
> can handle myself against one pk).
>

> But what really bothers me the most is that they have to gang bang me.
> I stand no chance against that. They are basically acting like thugs.
> Some of them are using 3rd party programs. One would paralyze me and
> the rest would attack. I can't recall out if I'm paralyzed, so I open
> my magic trapped pouch. As soon as that is done, I'm paralyzed yet
> again. By then its too late. I go down for the count. At least the one
> that paralyzed me also gets a murder count.

Name withheld

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Well what else could he have said?

Like I said, I think he underestimated _how many_ people would be prepared to do
it - I think he hoped that most people wouldnt bother.

Otara, Napa

Bob Roland

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

sme...@icubed.com wrote:

> This is *not* how you fight when outnumbered. When outnumbered, your
> goal is to even the odds as much as possible. That is, you move (use
> the terrain) and cast spells (paralyze, walls, recall, teleport) to
> divide up the group. You run. And when you have a 1 on 1 situation
> (preferably with the opposing group's healer first), that's when you go
> for kills.

If you use the "run and seperate" strategy well enough, you will have to
PK mages seperated and low on mana. Free regs!

Great Bob

Tinarandil

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

> On Thu, 27 May 1999 00:08:00 -0400, "Tinarandil" <ZML...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I would like to say to you, you seem like an angry person. I was going
> to say more about this, but then realized, why?. Anything I do say,
> you'll just twist around to fit your needs and problems. As you read
> this you are probably pulling you hair out in a fit of anger.
No, I'm not angry now. I am just very irritable. I REALLY hate most
people. In fact, I think I hate all people. Not sure, though.

> Every one of your answers was very negative. That tells me something
> about you and your lifestyle.
Yeah, I don't put up with idiots.

> I'm not about to get into a flame war with you. I'm not going to give
> you the pleasure of that. You may get the last word in, but your last
> words will mean nothing to me or anyone else. :)
>
> Anyhow, this is what I thought of your answers.
>

> >John <Jo...@EarthLink.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
> >> here. How do you deal with pkers?
> >Kill them.
> Your mentality of thinking.
>
> >> I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
> >> just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
> >> armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
> >Never happened to me.
> Using a 3rd party program?
No, I'm just pretty skilled in PvP, and know when to run.

> >> I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
> >> shouldn't take with me.
> >> I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
> >PKs rarely attack in packs, and when they do, it is usually only one or
two
> >that will attack you, the rest sit back and taunt.
> That is till the pks are losing. Are they really going to let their
> friends die?
No, but by then their friends are dead. They run after the leaders are
killed.

> >> Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
> >> of fact, that's a stupid answer.
> >No, it's a good answer. You ask how to deal with PKers, the most logical
> >answer is not to give them the ability to stike at you.
> Do you ever leave your home and have all the windows covered up? I'm
> not about to stay in town. I just wanted to know on how to deal with
> them. Can't do that in town. Besides, seems like you couldn't come up
> with a better answer. :)
No, it's just that is the best answer. It is the most effective way to
avoid PKs.

> >> Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
> >> pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
> >PKs do NOT outnumber us. For every PK, there are probably a hundred
> >non-PKs.
> Then why when I go places someone is being pked? And its not the pks
> getting pked. 2 to 1 is stretching a bit, but that what it seems like.
Then don't use "what it seems like" as a statistic.

> >> And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
> >> starting to consider that, but I like UO.
> >No, please. Buy EQ. And LEAVE.
> Again, your mentality of thinking.
What, that people I don't like should leave? This game would be much better
then.

> >> I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
> >> would be the most crowded shard to date.
> >You would lose that bet, and I would own your house. :)
> Think again. Opps, you have to start thinking before you can think
Trust me, I think a lot more than you do. If, as you said, PKs outnumber us
2 to 1, it wouldn't be the most crowded. You're contradicting yourself.

> again. Ask players you DON'T know. Not your friends who help you pk.
> Want to start a poll here and let the readers respond?
See below.

> Subject: If OSI had a shard that didn't allow PvP, would you play on
> that shard?
Doesn't work like that. Too many PvP- people here. You'd have to have OSI
do a poll, send an email to every account.

> >> Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
> >> questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
> >> fun for others.
> >No, I don't HAVE to do anything. I like PvP. I attack people who wear
good
> >armor, and have lots of loot. Because that means they would be capable
of
> >defending themselves, if their fingers weren't too chubby to click right.
> I wasn't questioning if you liked PvP or not. Attacking one on one is
> fine. That's fair. Not 3 on 1. That's PvPPP. Who is it that has the
> fun then?
The three people that attack you. Or you if you fight them off. Anyway, if
they attack, then it's PPPvP. Assuming that makes sense. Which it doesn't.
Player Player Player versus Player?

> >> In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
> >Fair? For it to be fair, everyone would have to have the same skills,
and
> >the same equipment, and the same ability IRL.
> Fair being where no more than one person can attack you.
But more than one could attack you with this system, it's just reds are
perma-dead.

> And a lot of people don't macro.
But most do.

> >> someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
> >> system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
> >> will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
> >Yeah, we all know that in RPGs, bad guys can't come back but good guys
can.
> >That's fair. RPGs are all different, which one are you talking about?
D&D,
> >where the same bad guys come back every other adventure? Mechwarrior,
where
> >EVERYONE dies after a few hits and NEVER comes back? (My personal
> >preference, by the way)
> It was just a suggestion. I've read the other post replying to this.
> It didn't go over to well. I will admit I was wrong. Can you? (And I'm
> not talking about this statement)
Where am I wrong?

> >> enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
> >> would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
> >> will take them much, much longer to kill again.
> >Not much, much longer. About an hour longer.
> Again, using a 3rd party program?
No. But they are. It doesn't take long to macro from 50 to 80. The tough
part is getting from 80 to 100.

> >> That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
> >> punishment doesn't fit the crime.
> >So you decide not to punish them at all. Smart.
> Why should the red's die, when all they do is macro off the murder
> counts, then again macro back the skills they lost? All they lost was
> time and little money. They loot every ones regs and stuff so they
> have enough to gamble with.
Well, if PvP- people would stop coming here and whining, and instead go out
and fight for themselves, then you could solve the problem yourself.
Instead of fending for yourself, you just come here and whine, hoping OSI
will do your dirty work for you.

> >> Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
> >> of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
> >> This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
> >> pkers and reds. hehe
> >Yeah, hehe. CAPITALIZE, DAMN YOU!
> Well said! :)
>
> >> I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
> >> evil. But this time, its permanent!
> >But then, wouldn't it be better if it was permanent for you as well?
> Because I was pked? It would only affect the reds. Not the blues or
> grays.
In order for it to be fair, which seems to be your pathetic excuse for doing
this, it would have to affect you as well.

> >> But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
> >> pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
> >> us 2 to 1.
> >No, they are not going to do it because it is a dumb idea.
> Yet again, your mentality of thinking.
Well, don't come up with dumb ideas then.

> >> I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
> >> either live with it, or quit the game.
> >> I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
> >> to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
> >> and quit like so many other people have done.
> >GOOD!
> That's a poor response.
Why? It's quick, explanatory, and to the point. It's good that you might
quit.

> >> Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> >> ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.
> >Define mature.
> Easy. Someone who can have constructive ideas. Not destructive. In
> which case, you shouldn't have replied to this post in the beginning
> because of your immature answers.
Well, you didn't exactly take the Webster's defininition of mature.
Besides, I enjoy my destructive comments. It's fun. Like a sport.

> >> No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
> >> rather shoot people than to help them.
> >Surprisingly, you want to make PKs stay dead for good, then talk about
how
> >killing is not a solution. Besides, I would rather shoot you than have
> >listen to your idiotic posts.
> Now out of all the answers you gave, this tops the cake! I just
> described someone that shouldn't post to this message, but you do
> anyway. So? When did you quit school Mr. ImKeWl? I'm gonna guess about
After 8 years of college. When do you get out of middle school for the
summer?

> 8th grade.
> One question for you. If my post was so idiotic, why did you spend the
> time reading and then replying to it? I got to hear this one.
Well, firstly, I didn't know how idiotic it would be until I read it. I'm
smart, not telepathic. And I replyed because I enjoy winding down after a
hard day of work by biting the head off of some idiot.

Tinarandil

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

> >I've taken on six GM mages at once with a master archer, numbers mean
> >nothing.
> Like I've asked before. What 3rd party program you using?
> You would be lying if you say you didn't use one.
> I suppose you could take on 6 poison elemental's too?

Why the hell would I need a 3rd party app? How does an archer benefit from
one? Oh, and do some research on people before you accuse them, you might
find from my earlier posts I am VERY against 3rd party programs.

Jeff Gentry

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Name withheld (sp...@spammity.com.au) wrote:
: Like I said, I think he underestimated _how many_ people would be prepared t
: it - I think he hoped that most people wouldnt bother.

True, at the time it was believed that most of the people working off
their kills would be in the "roleplayed badguy", "not so bad badguy",
etc kinda category that they were trying not to kill off at the same
time they put the screws to the "total asshole badguy". IMO the biggest
mistake they made was in putting the screws too tight - such that
no one in their right mind would go red.

Mark

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Well John,

I can relate. I've been where you are. I recommend the following.

1) When you are on a monster money run, make more frequent trips to
the bank. It's very hard for 2 pkers to take you out if you are
properly prepared to recall. However, I have been blasted to pieces by
5 pkers once.

2) Make sure your char is the best you can make him. This means 100
strength, and a spell reflect of 80 something. Magery in the 50's so
that a recall scroll can't fail. Keep magic reflect on...unless you
are fighting air elementals to raise resist. Always carry 3 pouches
that are magic trapped, and some greater heals and cures. You can get
away for sure with this layout.

3) Take the above mix, make sure you have no loot, and take the fight
to them. What have you got to lose? If I have loot I recall, if I'm
clean, then I stay and fight...and I've learned to enjoy it too.

Perhaps you get de-sensitized. Best of Luck.

Mark

On Tue, 25 May 1999 19:43:08 GMT, Jo...@EarthLink.net (John) wrote:

>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

>I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
>just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
>armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>

>I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
>shouldn't take with me.
>I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>

>Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>

>Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>

>And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
>starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>

>I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>would be the most crowded shard to date.
>

>Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>fun for others.
>

>In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if

>someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good

>enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>will take them much, much longer to kill again.

>That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>punishment doesn't fit the crime.

>Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
>of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
>This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
>pkers and reds. hehe

>I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>evil. But this time, its permanent!

>But of course, OSI is not going to do this because there are more
>pkers and reds than anyone else. Like I said before, they out number
>us 2 to 1.
>

>I'm thinking basically, there is nothing I can do about it. I have to
>either live with it, or quit the game.
>I guess for now, I'll continue playing. But unless something is done
>to really control the pking, I'm gonna have to say, enough is enough,
>and quit like so many other people have done.
>

>Thanks for listening and thanks for any replies.
>
>John
>
>ps. If you can't reply with mature answers or comments, don't reply.

>No wants to listen to ImKeWl who hasn't finished school yet and would
>rather shoot people than to help them.

Name withheld

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
And was that naive or what? Assholes move to the void that is easiest to
exploit.

If being red was easier, they would have gone there instead, and it would have
got worse IMO - less restrictions on kill rates. Simple powergaming.

Otara, Napa

Jeff Gentry

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Name withheld (sp...@spammity.com.au) wrote:
: If being red was easier, they would have gone there instead, and it would ha
: got worse IMO - less restrictions on kill rates. Simple powergaming.

Well, I'm working on the personal belief that PKing is too low right
now, but it was too high pre-rep patch. I'm saying that if being
red was a wee bit easier but still "tougher" than dread lords were,
that raw amount of pking would have been lessened, and "blue pks"
would not have been the phenom that they were (which many of the
ppl bitching about the "blue pks" claimed they cared that the pk was
blue, not that he was a pk)

Name withheld

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Too low? Hmm - dont think you'll sell that one to Raph any time soon. The
feedback made it pretty clear most people think Pking is still a problem.

I myself dont care who I'm being killed by if its too frequent - blue, red, or
beige. I doubt I'm alone in this.

Otara, Napa
PS I've started that other game now. That tree city really needs more guard
rails.

Lars Friedrich

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
John wrote:
>>>Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>>>of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>>It is an answer. That you don't accept it as acceptable option is at the
>>moment your problem.
>Well it is an answer, but it is a stupid answer.
Take a look at the shop tailors..;)

>>>Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>>>questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>>>fun for others.

>>I don't have to...I should perhaps but I don't have to...freedom of
choice..

>Your right. You don't have to. But don't you like it when other people
>don't intrude on your fun?
and?
That doesn't mean that I want OSI to change the whole basic idea of the
game..

>>>In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
>>>someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the
>>>system.

>>fairer? for you?...hmmm..fair doesn't mean that what you like is good and
>>should be forced onto others and it doesn't mean that what you don't like
is
>>bad and should be removed...there is a difference between fairness and
>>egoism.
>Not for me, but for everyone.

Not the reds..

>The reds gets to kill and loot as much as they want when they want.

How many reds did you play so far?

>I was just say when they die, they lose
>everything that is with their character. Of course they can give all
>their loot to a blue friend if case this did happen. It was just an
>suggestion.

You said: deleted off the system...and imo it's a stupid suggestion

>>>That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>>>will be more like RPG.

>>hu? more like RPG?...okay..you die, you are deleted...fine..but why only
>>murderers?
>Thats the price of being red and dying.

and what does it have to be with RPG?

>>>Losing skills upon resurrection is not good
>>>enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>>>would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>>>will take them much, much longer to kill again.

>>no...they will simply create newbie mages with ebolt scrolls and outnumber
>>you 3:1
>Yes and no. Yes, they can just create mages and get ebolts scrolls.
>But their str,dex and int will be low along with other skills.

With their large groups they are invulnerable anyway....macroing one day
eval int and a strength gaining skill and they are ready for action..

>>>That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>>>punishment doesn't fit the crime.

>>ohh...the punishment doesn't fit the crime..thats your reason to not
punish
>>them at all...really smart..

>Why should the red's die, when all they do is macro off the murder
>counts, then again macro back the skills they lost? All they lost was
>time and little money.

and so its better that they continue killing knowing that nobody will
interfere with them... great..

>They loot every ones regs and stuff so they have enough to gamble with.

They have enough to gamble with because they have no expenses because you
don't want to do anything about that...

>>>I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>>>evil. But this time, its permanent!

>>and I bet you won't be part of that party because you prefer that others
do
>>the work for you...either OSI or other players...but doing something
>>yourself...naaaah..
>Nope. Since I get killed by pks while hunting anyway, what's the
>differance just hunting them?

When do you care about death? When you are prepared to die or when you
aren't
expecting it?

Richard Cortese

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99

Tinarandil <ZML...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
They do in fact benefit from 3rd party programs.

I can (before I deleted UOA) just keep my pack open and hit the disarm key
to quaff a potion. Rearm is the same procedure/hotkey. Disarm, cast heal or
bandage, target self, doesn't hurt either for getting back in action.

Anybody that says they can fight with their paper doll open on the screen
and/or [open the paper doll, pick up the bow, drop it in their pack, quaff a
potion, pick up the bow, equip the bow, close paper doll so they can move
again] is just plain wrong.

It is more important for a PvP mage to have last target then for an archer,
but it would still be no small factor in determining the outcome of a fight.

But 6 GM mages has to be taken in context. They were probably 6 tailor mages
with 25 str, 100 dex and int from tailoring and spirit speak. They probably
fought terribly together; everyone going for kill shots, nobody healing,
getting seperated. Not to mention if none of them had evaluate int and the
archer is a master resistor, they were just wasting reagents.

I would bet dimes to donuts that this was before the last round of archery
nerfs too. Exceptional long bow only seems to do 10 points of damage now and
misses as often as it hits.

Him Again

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
John wrote:

> I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope here.
> How do you deal with pkers?

The old answer was, stay in town. It really meant, stay in town until you are
so frustrated, you either quit the game or become a pk yourself.

And yet, it is amazing how many friends I have now who are former (and truely
reformed) pk. And believe me, there is no red-hunter like a reformed red.

Fact is, the solutions are many. Above all you need experience. How do you
get it without being driven mad by the defeats and losses of stuff? Create a
character that can operate in the field with little or nothing (Tamer is one),
gaining when left alone, and not losing when attacked or killed. Carry almost
nothing, perhaps a simple weapon, some bandages, no armor, and get out there
and get some experience. Getting into contact with the nasty people is one of
the best ways to learn how to avoid them, deal with them, and destroy them.
There is no substitute for the advice of true experts, but there is also no
substitute for experience of your own.

There is no character that can be played for long in the outback without the
Recall spell (you can, but after a while you just don't want to anymore).
Ability to cast this reliably is more important to getting away from unwanted
situations than just about anything else in the game. You can buy enough
magery from the local mage guildmaster to do it (yes you can!) if you buy some
Recall scrolls (scrolls let you cast the spell as if it were 2 levels lower in
difficulty). Get a rune to your favorite town, and another to an
out-of-the-way place, try to get duplicates of these to keep in your bank, and
at the first sign of jerks, Recall.

But that does not teach you how to fight or otherwise deal with them. The
first solution does. In the beginning we called it the "Lootless" concept.
They just don't bother you when they know it will cost them more to kill you
than they will get in loot. Dying just doesn't bother you when your cost to
re-equip can be made from killing 2 orcs.

Both approaches are in order when learning and building yourself to the point
of being a Player (instead of just a player). So it the third major point:
Having Good Friends. Powerful friends. Knowledgable friends. Not to carry
the fight for you, but to help you fight, and more importantly, help you
develop.

There are a great many other factors to success in this game. One of them is
where you play. I'll send you an email address. If you play on Lake
Superior, or are willing to relocate, or just play there temporarily, I can
get you into contact with people who will teach you a lot in a short amount of
time. Fact is, without cheating, it is amazing how fast you can raise a
beginning character to 5x Master ass-kicker, able to leap tall buildings with
a running start. Learning what to do with such a character takes longer, but
with friends who have the experience, and really KNOW what they are talking
about, that part becomes fun.

John

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
On Thu, 27 May 1999 03:03:13 -0400, sme...@icubed.com wrote:

>John wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 25 May 1999 17:45:36 -0400, sme...@icubed.com wrote:
>>
>> >Dealing with pks in what way? If you want to not be attacked, start
>> >paying attention to things like how you move and what you wear.
>> >Somebody that looks capable of taking the damage and dishing it back is
>> >less likely to be attacked. If you want to be able to survive an
>> >attack, be prepared. Something to break paralyze, which'll be anything
>> >that'll do minor damage to you, like potions or magic trapped pouches
>> >(this is the most common among PvPers), and a screen setup to speed your
>> >ability to recall will help a lot. A horse works too, to help you get
>> >away.
>> I act like any other character. I always wear platemail. I just
>> started using a magic trapped pouch. Works wonders. :) I didn't know
>> that potions worked also. I got to try that. Per say, a GH potion.
>
>Ah, what you mean is you act like any other PvM (player vs monster)
>oriented characters.
hehe. Yep.

>Always move in order to put yourself in the most
>beneficial position. Many PvP oriented people I've seen seem to
>*always* be moving while in dangerous locations for that reason,
>seemingly "on the edge", and it does seem to boost my ability to react.
>You want to seem as capable as you possibly can, and perhaps even
>*willing* to fight (but not too much).

>Plate armor is rarely used by PvP characters for two reasons: dex loss
>and slow mana regeneration. For the warrior type, you might want to

>consider something known as an "archer suit" (exceptional chain tunic,
>leggings, non plate helm, plate gorget, and either plate or ring mail
>sleeves and gloves) in order to keep your dex up. If the opposition
>sees that you're taking every little advantage that would affect PvP
>combat, then they won't see you as an easy kill. Consequently, not so
>likely to attack you. Likewise, use a weapon geared towards PvP rather
>than PvM, even though the weapon may work less well against monsters.
I don't understand this. Wouldn't a weapon geared towards PvP work
just as well on monsters?

>As a mage, I wear no armor at all, as this boosts mana regeneration.
How do you surive an attack with no armor on? Meditate and heal? Drink
GH's potions?

>And while I rarely stop to meditate, this helps present the idea that I
>have an extremely high passive regeneration rate, that is, gm or near gm
>meditation skill. I am also a scribe. If I see somebody around that I
>might have suspicions about, any high level spell I cast *always* comes
>from a scroll. In other words, those I don't want to fight will never
>see me fail an eighth circle spell. If you were a pk looking for an
>easy kill, how easy do I look?
As a mage, can you meditate while holding a weapon? Like a staff?
As for me looking at you for an easy kill, no you don't look easy.

>Potions in general are great :) Not only the greater heals (10-30
>healed) and greater explosions (10-20 damage, also good as a last resort
>to break paralyze).
I don't think I would set off an explosion potion to break a paralyze
spell. I just might end killing myself. (I wouldn't want to murder
myself :) ) I read you can drink potions to break paralyze. I know a
magic trapped pouch will do that with little to no damage.

>With a warrior, upon the start of a fight, drink a
>greater strength potion, and start the bandages going from the
>beginning. Total refresh is vital for the ability to push through
>things, as well as to keep weapon speed up. Poison on the weapon boosts
>damage and gives your opponent something else to deal with. Poison
>potions can also be used against paralyze (just don't drink the strong
>stuff). Nightsight potions are cheaper and quicker to use than the
>spell (very important if the lights go out while you're otherwise
>occupied).
>Greater agility potions.... oh, well, these do seem rather useless.
>
>-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

John

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
On 26 May 1999 15:54:48 GMT, gen...@rpi.edu (Jeff Gentry) wrote:

>John (Jo...@EarthLink.net) wrote:
>: I act like any other character. I always wear platemail. I just
>
>This right here shows why you're being attacked. You should rephrase
>that to "I act like any other monsterbasher character with little
>PvP experience". The key is to exude a sense of "PvP ability and
>readiness". Hell, I've had newbie chars that couldn't last 3 seconds
>who never got attacked, even in the heyday of blue pks - simply because
>of "attitude".
Your right. I do act like a mosterbasher character with little PvP
experience. :) Noted, and changed from now on.

>Platemail is like a giant sign that says "I only can fight monsters.
>I'll fall over dead easy. I have good lewt". Don't wear it.
I only wear it for the ac. But I can deal with a bit of less ac with
an archer suit.

>Also - what weapons do you use? You'll find that PvPers tend to
>use diff weapons then monster bashers. Use the PvPer weapons - even
>if they're not as good as PvM weapons in PvM.
I usually use a hally and sometimes a Katana. I'm not sure what PvPers
use.

>Look around at PvP characters and PvM characters. Look closely. You
>*will* see a difference in the way they "carry themselves". Emulate
>a PvP character, and people will think you'r just "slumming it" and
>killing some monsters, and you'll be left alone more.
>
>: But I have to know how to PvP in order to deal with them.
>
>Not really. You can nip a lot of attacks in the bud simply by not
>looking like a giant target that can't PvP.
>
>: 2 to 1 is a little bit out of bounds. But that's what it seems like.
>: Really.
>
>2 on 1 is nothing if you know how to survive.

Jeff Gentry

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
John (Jo...@EarthLink.net) wrote:
: I only wear it for the ac. But I can deal with a bit of less ac with
: an archer suit.

Even better yet, try bone. A good suit of bone with a decent
gorget will get you around the upper 20's in AR.

: I usually use a hally and sometimes a Katana. I'm not sure what PvPers
: use.

Generally katana. Fast weapons rule the roost. Hallys are sometimes
carried, but generally used for a killshot on a slow opponent. Also
the key is having a few diff weapons of diff types (hally & katana,
for instance) and knowing *when* to use them. Katanas are pretty
pathetic against heavy armour, so the power of the hally is better.
However against light armour, the katana is like a food processor
and takes over against the extra damage the hally gives.

Shaky

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Jo...@EarthLink.net (John) wrote:

>>Plate armor is rarely used by PvP characters for two reasons: dex loss
>>and slow mana regeneration. For the warrior type, you might want to
>>consider something known as an "archer suit" (exceptional chain tunic,
>>leggings, non plate helm, plate gorget, and either plate or ring mail
>>sleeves and gloves) in order to keep your dex up. If the opposition
>>sees that you're taking every little advantage that would affect PvP
>>combat, then they won't see you as an easy kill. Consequently, not so
>>likely to attack you. Likewise, use a weapon geared towards PvP rather
>>than PvM, even though the weapon may work less well against monsters.
>I don't understand this. Wouldn't a weapon geared towards PvP work
>just as well on monsters?

Most PKers still wear bone or nothing at all...most PvPers seem to
wear archer suits. A good GM set will give 30 AR and only -3 dex, and
you can better that with a GM heater sheild. TotaL AR with that
depends on Parry, 50 parry I think will give ya a total of 36 AC, same
as that suit of heavy GM plate :)

The idea behind PvP weapons is SPEED...keep hitting that mage before
he can cast, chase that archer twink all over the screen WHILE beating
on him with the kryss, ect. If the stabd toe-to-toe with ya and slug
it out, yes, a hally might kill em faster, but that never happens.

>>As a mage, I wear no armor at all, as this boosts mana regeneration.
>How do you surive an attack with no armor on? Meditate and heal? Drink
>GH's potions?

Mages run :) Get across the screen or behind an obstacle and throw
spells, then run again. Usually, tho, they try to keep you from moving
with the Paralyze-Explosion-Ebolt-dirt nap routine..hehe. If a mage
attacks your fighter, you HAVE to get right up next to them and hit
with a fast weapon to win the fight. Popping a magic trapped pouch and
runnign up on them while they are casting explosion is usually enough
to get them running, in which case its anyones fight. You'll still
get hit by the explosion, probably, but quaffing a GH with one hand
while beating on them with a fast weapon in the other can even things
out.

>As a mage, can you meditate while holding a weapon? Like a staff?
>As for me looking at you for an easy kill, no you don't look easy.

A mage that hits me with a para, explosion, then starts running, gets
clear and nails me with a flamestrike DEFINATELY gives me cause for
concern.

And I beleive hands must be empty to meditate. In any case, ANY
action, even autocombat or getting hit will cause active meditation to
stop.

>>Potions in general are great :) Not only the greater heals (10-30
>>healed) and greater explosions (10-20 damage, also good as a last resort
>>to break paralyze).

Explsions are also a nice attack...paralyze, flip a purple at em, cast
explosion then corp por...they'll be hurting :)

Chan Man Hei

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
: Explsions are also a nice attack...paralyze, flip a purple at em, cast

: explosion then corp por...they'll be hurting :)

The best way vs pk mage is magic resistance :> With 100.0 resist, 80
healing, 100 atonmy, you have nothing to fear. Close up
with your katana (poison is the best) and they are in trouble! I killed 2
pk mage in a row (1 escaped! DAMN).. and cut their head for guard.. Yawk!

How to work out 100.0 resist? UOSS give a very good practice guide!

P.S: with 100.0 resistance, CP only do at most 15-20 damage to u (Usually
0 because you resist it)

Lawrence.

Chan Man Hei

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Bob Roland (b...@nilenet.com) wrote:

Bow is the best weapon to use when running. Give pk something to do while
chasing u! :>

Lawrence

: If you use the "run and seperate" strategy well enough, you will have to

Kim Rivers

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99

Smedley said:

//meditation skill. I am also a scribe. If I see somebody around that I
//might have suspicions about, any high level spell I cast *always* comes
//from a scroll. In other words, those I don't want to fight will never
//see me fail an eighth circle spell.

Perhaps a naive question but: do scrolls NEVER fail, then?

//to break paralyze). With a warrior, upon the start of a fight, drink a
//greater strength potion, and start the bandages going from the
//beginning. Total refresh is vital for the ability to push through

Perhaps a naive question number two: bandages -- don't they slip when in
applied to one's self in combat?

Thanks,

kim

--
-- I work for Compaq. I don't speak for 'em.

sme...@icubed.com

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Kim Rivers wrote:

> Smedley said:
>
> //meditation skill. I am also a scribe. If I see somebody around that I
> //might have suspicions about, any high level spell I cast *always* comes
> //from a scroll. In other words, those I don't want to fight will never
> //see me fail an eighth circle spell.
>
> Perhaps a naive question but: do scrolls NEVER fail, then?

Scrolls cast as if 2 circles below the spell itself. In other words, an
8th circle scroll casts as if it were a 6th circle spell. Rumor has it
that this also applies for resisting spells cast from scrolls, but I
don't notice much of a difference between casting an energy bolt spell
vs an energy bolt scroll, but then again, I do have relatively high
levels of both the magery and the evaluate intelligence skills....

> //to break paralyze). With a warrior, upon the start of a fight, drink a
> //greater strength potion, and start the bandages going from the
> //beginning. Total refresh is vital for the ability to push through
>
> Perhaps a naive question number two: bandages -- don't they slip when in
> applied to one's self in combat?

Bandages slip every time the one applying the bandage is hit. If hit by
magic, the effect seems doubled. Each slip reduces the amount of damage
the bandage heals. However, the bonus from anatomy (add 1/5 anatomy
skill to number of hit points healed) always applies, at least as far as
I know....

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner

eyeofthestorm

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
First of all, quit whining, it's only a game. It's not like they're kicking
your ass, rapin yer wife, and stealing yer wedding ring. It's electrons,
man. there's plenty of em to go around.
Second of all, if you're not going to stand up for yourself, run. Players PK
because of the thrill of the hunt. Face it, the monsters are dumb. they do
the same shit. They're not going to stalk you and surprise you. Because
they're dumb. But humans.....ahhhhhhh.. Here is a challenge. Here is
something which can FIGHT BACK. A Foe who may outsmart me.
But, when you run, he loses that hunt. Like a hunter in the real world
(there IS a real world, ya know) who loses the deer he's been stalking, If
you run from a PK and manage to escape....he's Lost. No loot. No Kill to
claim and brag about. No Legendary fight to the death where it's his skill
vs. yours. Like the deer, if you consider yourself to win if he loses, then
you win not necessarily by killing him, but by avoiding being the main
course of mamma's venison stew.
Thus, for a PK, the game is about ten times more challenging for you,
because 1. He is hunting the Top of the food chain, really the only enemy in
the game with a real chance, and 2. all the snivelers and crybabies keep
making OSI make life for a PK harder and harder and harder.
He doesn't need to think about ruining other peoples fun, because thats none
of his business. I know thats on the bottom of my list no matter what i do.
Frankly, I pay my money to have fun. I'm gonna have fun. I don't give a
gibbering fuck what you do with your money...if you're paying to have fun
and don't have fun, it's not me being ripped off.
Deleting their accounts and getting it out of the game is pure crap too.
First of all, he pays just as much as you. You complain, but like all the
rest....yer still payin'. But, if it becomes impossible or (is this
possible?) even MORE restrictive to PK at all....that guy just might stop
paying. And that ain't good business. Second, the game would get real old
with no threat. Log on. Go to monster assembly facility. Disassemble
monsters. Go home. Log out. Repeat. Yippeee!!!!!!!
Sorry. For some reason, that just don't cut it.
Instead, now you have the sudden shock of being the HUNTED. A
challenge...Kill or be killed! Your blood moves faster, maybe a little
adrenaline... IF you didn't like it, you wouldn't keep payin.
Think about it....despite all the odds...them orcs just keep coming back.
:) So why shouldn't you?
You're crying because you've been PK'd 3 times in 4 weeks?
Oh jesus....install a Kleenex dispenser on your CPU. I've been killed as
many times in a week. In a day. Hell, probably within an hour! I'd run to
town, res, and come back for my shit. After all....that's MY shit he's
packing around out there. I've lost 3 full sets of bone armor, 3 gm or magic
weapons, 3 bags of regs, and 3 rescue recall runes on the same asshole.
(afterwhich i probably ran out of available bone and gave up to run home and
resupply :) ) Once in a while, I'd even nail the sunnuva bitch. You ever
kill the PK that got you?
Try it some time. Just once, a single time, when you get whacked....actually
plan what you're doing, go back, ambush him, and once and for all kill the
fucker.
Then....within a minute of doing that, tell me if you want to take it out of
the game. :)

-Bloody Pool, LS

ps. just don't forget to interrupt your self-congratulations and victory
dances long enough to loot him before all the other sniveling
cowards/vultures do....and do so remember to bring a body part along to
remember him by.

--I resent the notion that i am a Blood Sucking Monster....I leave it right
where it splatters...

John wrote in message <374ae29c...@news.earthlink.net>...

>I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I'm at the end of my rope
>here. How do you deal with pkers?
>

>I know that this is just a game. I'm not upset or mad about this. Its
>just that its discouraging. You know what I mean. You have your best
>armor on, have a good weapon, 3k in loot from monsters. Then its gone.
>
>I've been playing for about a year now and know what I should or
>shouldn't take with me.
>I'm not into PvP or the case may be PvPPPP.
>

>Some of you might say, don't leave town. That is not an answer. Matter
>of fact, that's a stupid answer.
>

>Others might say, get friends to go along with you. Well I do. But the
>pks out numbers us 2 to 1.
>
>And others might say, buy EverQuest and use the -PvP switch. I'm
>starting to consider that, but I like UO.
>
>I would bet anything if OSI made a shard that doesn't allow PvP, that
>would be the most crowded shard to date.
>

>Some of you will say, PvP is the best part of the game. I'm not
>questioning on what you think is fun, but you have to consider what is
>fun for others.
>

>In order for this game to be fairer, OSI should make it to where if
>someone is red and if they die, that character is deleted off the

>system. That should be the price a red should have to consider. That
>will be more like RPG. Losing skills upon resurrection is not good

>enough. They only macro again. Where as with a new character they
>would have to start all over again. Yes, they can macro again but it
>will take them much, much longer to kill again.

>That is why I don't gather forces and hunt down the reds. The
>punishment doesn't fit the crime.

>Some of you will say, what about the blues? Well, they are far and few
>of them to worry about. I've never been killed by a blue before.
>This option would make a lot of people happy. That is besides the
>pkers and reds. hehe

>I can see it now. A hunting party is gathering to clear the lands of
>evil. But this time, its permanent!

Bob Roland

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99

Kim Rivers wrote:

> Perhaps a naive question but: do scrolls NEVER fail, then?

Scrolls cast a few as if they were a few levels below what you would
need if you were a high enough mage. For example, a lvl 4 scroll, such
as a recall one, will need a minimal amount of magery to make it work
(just a few points). A scroll will not be used up unless it is cast
sucessfully.

> Perhaps a naive question number two: bandages -- don't they slip when in
> applied to one's self in combat?

Depends on your skill. Even at lvl 20, it will still heal you even if
you're taking damage.

Great Bob

Name withheld

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
"eyeofthestorm" <ucant...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>snip various rationalisations>

>Try it some time. Just once, a single time, when you get whacked....actually
>plan what you're doing, go back, ambush him, and once and for all kill the
>fucker.

Feeding time.

Done that. But as for the 'once and for all' bit - we playing the same game?

>Then....within a minute of doing that, tell me if you want to take it out of
>the game. :)

If you'd asked at the time, I would have. Some people are just different from
you. This is OK.

Virtually nobody wants to take it out of the game completely. Some people just
dont want to be forced into it.

Otara, Napa

sme...@icubed.com

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
eyeofthestorm wrote:

<snip>

Damnit, not again....

I hereby end this thread by mentioning "Nazi", "Hitler", and "Barney".

-Smedley, Daemon Summoner