Look what dev team is doing now!!!

Disavowed

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
What is wrong with this combination Newbies+Deathtraps????OSI, why THE HELL,
have you trapped some of the newbie stock stacked crates w/ super deadly
poison on the upper level of Despise??? You screwed up lockpicking for the
second time last week. And now this crazy shit! You damn well know how fast
deadly posion brings down even 100 stamina, and how hard it is to cure. Have
you lost your minds again, trapping chest with cheap trinkets and nearly
valueless weapons and scrolls with deathtraps on top of the ridiculous
lockpicking requirements, knowing that even intermediate players can't
handle that sort of death trap. You make people work up this skill to past
progressive advancement, which you seem to have no clue of. You encourage
this macro craze by discouraging progressive advancement. FIX DESPISE,
NOW!!! And don't tell me it was some master tinker screwing with chests,
that should not even be possible, he or she would have screwed all of them.
What the hell are you going for here, the dungeons should have at least some
progressive stepping. If some of your programmers are out for a joke(instead
of actually working) I'll quite my account, over unfair and continous death.
Jeez, I can count on three fingers, including being newbie, the times I died
fairly and in control, I had no idea even what had happen, open chest, dead,
twice. If your going ream your players at least post an FYI. This sort of
deathtrap should definatily not appear till the more advanced levels of
advanced dungeons, especially unannounced. Progressive advancement is an
important part of this sort of game, and your screwing it all into a macro
till you can survive fest, and then punishing people for doing it. Shame on
your sorry, no common sense, asses for making this game unfair and unfun,
how do you expect people to play the dungeons like that? Quite screwing
around. This sort of deathtrap should definitely not appear till the more
advanced levels of advanced dungeons. And is a perfect case in point to alot
whats wrong here. Plain bullshit. And not funny at all. And readjusting
lockpicking.
WARNING: OSI has been really screwing with the dungeons, and some of the
skills, at least on LS, I don;' know to what extent.

Richard Cortese

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Well, no on a few specific points.
Disavowed <hero...@swbell.com> wrote in message

> What is wrong with this combination Newbies+Deathtraps????OSI, why THE
HELL,
> have you trapped some of the newbie stock stacked crates w/ super deadly
> poison on the upper level of Despise??? You screwed up lockpicking for the
> second time last week. And now this crazy shit! You damn well know how
fast
> deadly posion brings down even 100 stamina, and how hard it is to cure.
Have
Actually, the only really bad ones I know of are the explosions. The reason
they are deadly is because after lockpicking into the 90s and using fencing,
my lockpick only has 50 strength with 100 dex.

But the poison traps are not that bad, less then 50 magery on the character
and they have cast cure, page 2 variety, successfully every time.

> you lost your minds again, trapping chest with cheap trinkets and nearly
> valueless weapons and scrolls with deathtraps on top of the ridiculous

Actually checked and found the average value of a dungeon chest to be
approximately 150 gold.

What seems to happen is chests pick up more traps over time. That is, if the
chest hasn't been opened in 24 hours, it will have 3 traps placed on it.
Worst case is you set off the traps with telekinesis, get dart trap, poison,
and then the explosion. Each telekinesis spell is a bloodmoss and drake, so
you spend 27 gold for the 3 casts to open a chest worth 150 gold.

Best case is when the chest refills before it relocks: These can be opened
safely w/o telekinesis. Just make sure you STAND BACK before casting. Even I
make mistakes, stood in the middle of a room casting telekinesis on chests
around me and one was a bit too close "OoOOO".

Intermediate is when the first trap is the explosion, then I just take the
poison and dart traps.

Once you start working the spawn, you then only need 1 spell to disarm the
chest. i.e. 9 gold to open a chest worth ~150 gold.

> lockpicking requirements, knowing that even intermediate players can't
> handle that sort of death trap.

Isn't that bad, unless you get detect and disarm up to usable levels. This
is screwed since you end up with 25 strength, 100 int, 100 dex. I mean you
can go to a dungeon and open all the chests, but aren't strong enough to
carry anything out.

> You make people work up this skill to past
> progressive advancement, which you seem to have no clue of. You encourage
> this macro craze by discouraging progressive advancement.

Not that bad if you have something else to do and UOA.

If you have a character that isn't skill capped or can talk someone into
doing it for you. Get ~600 gold, train carpentry and tinkering to 20-30. Buy
some boards or do some lumberjacking. With the wood, make small crates until
you have a lockable one.

Now just have a UOA macro that runs in the background that locks and then
unlocks the chest. I use F3 for mine, so it is pretty easy to trigger. You
will get into the 90s lockpicking within a week of heavy playing if you hit
it enough. I imagine if you had it mapped to the return key it would work
even better<if you can?>.
> FIX DESPISE,
I'm with you on this one. They have done a lot to make it better, ~6 months
ago the crates didn't even spawn anything and if you hit a snake from across
the room with an arrow it would poison you.

They have toned down poison a lot though, I actually melee giant serpents
for skill now since they don't poison you 20 times a fight.

> What the hell are you going for here, the dungeons should have at least
some
> progressive stepping. If some of your programmers are out for a
joke(instead

They do, just too steep. IMO: Near waste of time to go in without 80ish
lockpicking skill and not enough loot out of guard zones in locked chests.
But 80ish lockpicking is a lot easier then you think. You should be able to
do it with the low level tinker made crate and a couple of lockpicks. You
stop breaking them after ~40 skill level, so you can go all the way to
master lockpick for ~140 gold in picks. IMO: This balances the skill level
required because of the decreased cost to get to master level.
You don't make any money from the skill until you are adept, but it only
cost you a few gold to get there.

> around. This sort of deathtrap should definitely not appear till the more
> advanced levels of advanced dungeons. And is a perfect case in point to
alot
> whats wrong here. Plain bullshit. And not funny at all. And readjusting
> lockpicking.

Take my suggestions and a short break. Right now lockpicking is one of the
most profitable skills in the game if you do it the way I suggest. The spawn
rate of chests if fantastic, seems like they fill every 5-10 minutes. The 10
or so chest on level one Covetous were enough to keep my lockpicker working
full time and they banked 20k in a few nights. So many scrolls, just sold
off everything less then level 8s.

> WARNING: OSI has been really screwing with the dungeons, and some of the
> skills, at least on LS, I don;' know to what extent.

The traps and skill levels required are high, but they are worth the effort.

Ingot Head

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
I think someone should submit this post to the UONG Faq maintainers as the
very definition of "rant".

Ingot Head
Atlantic

Lord Queso

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
>I think someone should submit this post to the UONG Faq maintainers as the
>very definition of "rant".

Heh, you stole the words right out of my mouth. He does have some good points
though.

-Queso
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
-Alexandre Dumas
http://members.aol.com/lordqueso/main.html

Xigam

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 04:12:02 -0500, "Disavowed" <hero...@swbell.com>
wrote:

I'd be nice if there were monsters in there that someone actually
wanted to kill.. It's such a nice dungeon area wise.. if they would
just throw in all times of elements on level 3, all types of
skellitons on level 1, and liches, and other undead on level 2, then
make level 4 a balron area, it would be a nice place.

>What is wrong with this combination Newbies+Deathtraps????OSI, why THE HELL,
>have you trapped some of the newbie stock stacked crates w/ super deadly
>poison on the upper level of Despise??? You screwed up lockpicking for the
>second time last week. And now this crazy shit! You damn well know how fast
>deadly posion brings down even 100 stamina, and how hard it is to cure. Have

>you lost your minds again, trapping chest with cheap trinkets and nearly
>valueless weapons and scrolls with deathtraps on top of the ridiculous

>lockpicking requirements, knowing that even intermediate players can't

>handle that sort of death trap. You make people work up this skill to past

>progressive advancement, which you seem to have no clue of. You encourage

>this macro craze by discouraging progressive advancement. FIX DESPISE,
>NOW!!! And don't tell me it was some master tinker screwing with chests,
>that should not even be possible, he or she would have screwed all of them.

>What the hell are you going for here, the dungeons should have at least some
>progressive stepping. If some of your programmers are out for a joke(instead

>of actually working) I'll quite my account, over unfair and continous death.
>Jeez, I can count on three fingers, including being newbie, the times I died
>fairly and in control, I had no idea even what had happen, open chest, dead,
>twice. If your going ream your players at least post an FYI. This sort of
>deathtrap should definatily not appear till the more advanced levels of
>advanced dungeons, especially unannounced. Progressive advancement is an
>important part of this sort of game, and your screwing it all into a macro
>till you can survive fest, and then punishing people for doing it. Shame on
>your sorry, no common sense, asses for making this game unfair and unfun,
>how do you expect people to play the dungeons like that? Quite screwing

>around. This sort of deathtrap should definitely not appear till the more
>advanced levels of advanced dungeons. And is a perfect case in point to alot
>whats wrong here. Plain bullshit. And not funny at all. And readjusting
>lockpicking.

Disavowed

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Dude I'm telling you chests last night night were armed with 'You need
immediate attention or you will die' deadly poison. I quafffed 4 cure
potions and cast cure until I was out of mana, the second time I died. The
first time it happened, I took the poison, assuming mild to moderate, and
died within ten seconds or elss . They ARE doing something there. I have 84
str, I can deal with the explosions, the worst bring mt swordsman to around
around 35, but they've probably screwed with those as well. It's wierd in
statements OSI says they want people to speciallize in different things, and
then FORCE you to become a mage, of no small ability to get anywhere. You
HAVE to telek(now), you HAVE to have recall, you HAVE to have cure, and if
you dont have archery, you HAVE to have offensive spells for some of the so
called newbie dungeons(Serpents). 'Damnit Jim, I'm a fighter not a
spellcaster', I only have 54 lockpick and I was only scoring about 700g per
trip, until OSI stared screwing around that is. I was starting to forgive
OSI, now their messing with my 'mojo'.

Disavowed

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Yeah, it was hehehe. That's what happens when I post directly after
something like this happens. You should have seen the letter I sent OSI,
after three straight days of server warp. I'm not above going Joan Crawford
on somebodies ass. :-)
Still, come on, OSI makes some of the most boneheaded, thoughtless
decisions, I'm sure everybody can agree with that.

Ingot Head <cle...@spamstinks.iglou.com> wrote in message

> I think someone should submit this post to the UONG Faq maintainers as the
> very definition of "rant".
>

> Ingot Head
> Atlantic

Cobbler

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:59:10 -0500, "Disavowed" <hero...@swbell.com>
wrote:

>Dude I'm telling you chests last night night were armed with 'You need
>immediate attention or you will die' deadly poison. I quafffed 4 cure
>potions and cast cure until I was out of mana, the second time I died. The
>first time it happened, I took the poison, assuming mild to moderate, and
>died within ten seconds or elss

That would have been Level 5 poison,uncureable.And high level tinkers
can reproduce that on chests. Not certain if they can trap dungeon
chests tho,does anyone know this answer?I ran into an instance last
night in Destard with my mage,75 hit point explosion,now that was a
hoot,damn near killed her :) Luckily she has a modest 100 hitpoints :)

The Kind Cobbler
GM Tailor/Aspiring Mage
Catskills

Xigam

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:02:43 GMT, flas...@yahoo.com (Cobbler) wrote:

>That would have been Level 5 poison,uncureable.And high level tinkers
>can reproduce that on chests. Not certain if they can trap dungeon
>chests tho,does anyone know this answer?I ran into an instance last
>night in Destard with my mage,75 hit point explosion,now that was a
>hoot,damn near killed her :) Luckily she has a modest 100 hitpoints :)

I think you can. I was with my friend who is a GM lockpick, she got
killed in the Shame blood room to some GM traps on the chests there..
she said she got to report a murder.. Also, this same thing happened
in bucks den once..

- Xigam

rattran

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Of course, by uncureable you just mean that you can't cure it. I
watched someone get cured twice in a row from that poison today.

-Detlef Sierck SP and LS

Cobbler

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On 5 Oct 1999 18:51:05 -0500, rattran <rat...@renn.faire.net> wrote:

>Of course, by uncureable you just mean that you can't cure it. I
>watched someone get cured twice in a row from that poison today.

According to stratics,Level 5 poison is uncureable.
this is what it says:

5th level poison is produced by Poison elementals and cannot be
created by players. 5th level poison is
almost guaranteed death. Four cures by a Master mage can't remove the
poison and death usually results
within 15 seconds. If you get hit with this type of poison you get a
"You are in extreme pain, and require
immediate aid!" message. Other people will get a "[your name] begins
to spasm uncontrollably" message.

Then this was further down the page:

A regular orange potion
that was found as loot on an Earth Elemental was able to cure the 5th
level Poison inflicted by a Poison
Elemental.

*shrug* Maybe one of these renegade patches changed things *grin*

I have a GM healer on catskills and have been unwilling to try it on
myself and cant find someone willing to volunteer their services for
the experiment

>-Detlef Sierck SP and LS
>On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 20:23:53 GMT, xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com
>(Xigam) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:02:43 GMT, flas...@yahoo.com (Cobbler) wrote:
>>
>>>That would have been Level 5 poison,uncureable.And high level tinkers
>>>can reproduce that on chests. Not certain if they can trap dungeon
>>>chests tho,does anyone know this answer?I ran into an instance last
>>>night in Destard with my mage,75 hit point explosion,now that was a
>>>hoot,damn near killed her :) Luckily she has a modest 100 hitpoints :)
>>
>>I think you can. I was with my friend who is a GM lockpick, she got
>>killed in the Shame blood room to some GM traps on the chests there..
>>she said she got to report a murder.. Also, this same thing happened
>>in bucks den once..
>>
>>- Xigam

The Kind Cobbler
GM Tailor/Aspiring Mage
Catskills

Galadriel

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Cobbler schrieb in Nachricht <37fbdab7....@news.jacksonville.net>...

>On 5 Oct 1999 18:51:05 -0500, rattran <rat...@renn.faire.net> wrote:
>
>>Of course, by uncureable you just mean that you can't cure it. I
>>watched someone get cured twice in a row from that poison today.
>According to stratics,Level 5 poison is uncureable.
>this is what it says:
>
>5th level poison is produced by Poison elementals and cannot be
>created by players. 5th level poison is
> almost guaranteed death. Four cures by a Master mage can't remove the
>poison and death usually results
> within 15 seconds. If you get hit with this type of poison you get a
>"You are in extreme pain, and require
> immediate aid!" message. Other people will get a "[your name] begins
>to spasm uncontrollably" message.
I have seen that someone has been cured from this poison.

Galadriel
Drachenfels

Rhwbullhead

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>>"You are in extreme pain, and require
>> immediate aid!" message. Other people will get a "[your name] begins
>>to spasm uncontrollably" message.
>I have seen that someone has been cured from this poison.

I've gotten this poison from Ophidian avengers. A greater cure potion seems to
cure it. Also, my companion once got poisoned by it and I was able to cast
cure on him and cure him a second before death and I'm no where close to GM
mage. Maybe things have changed since that quote from stratics was written.

Richard Cortese

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Lord Queso <lord...@aol.comREMOVEME> wrote in message

> >I think someone should submit this post to the UONG Faq maintainers as
the
> >very definition of "rant".
>
> Heh, you stole the words right out of my mouth. He does have some good
points
> though.
Most of his points were in error though. It is kind of like people
complaining about the rogue characters because they can't go to the bank,
steal from the tellers to get rich.
Usually when OSI closes one door they open another, add a few bugs, that
sort of thing.

Scott Cornwall

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Occasionally tinker-made trapped chests spawn in dungeons. My friend had a
few of his spawn in there and gathered a murder count from them....i'm still
trying to get his head to check for a bounty....*chuckle*

Cobbler wrote in message <37f993a7....@news.jacksonville.net>...

>On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:59:10 -0500, "Disavowed" <hero...@swbell.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Dude I'm telling you chests last night night were armed with 'You need
>>immediate attention or you will die' deadly poison. I quafffed 4 cure
>>potions and cast cure until I was out of mana, the second time I died. The
>>first time it happened, I took the poison, assuming mild to moderate, and
>>died within ten seconds or elss

>That would have been Level 5 poison,uncureable.And high level tinkers
>can reproduce that on chests. Not certain if they can trap dungeon
>chests tho,does anyone know this answer?I ran into an instance last
>night in Destard with my mage,75 hit point explosion,now that was a
>hoot,damn near killed her :) Luckily she has a modest 100 hitpoints :)

Disavowed

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
You are incorrect sir, all points were dead on. Going back to even the early
days of MUDS deathtraps were frowned upon in any situation, but in a low
level environment completely unaccetable. And I won't accept any rhetoric
suggesting 'changing this, changes that', OSI has an entire shard devoted to
testing nothing else ,and it's extremely unlikely level 5 posion and level
4(?) explosion(70hp or less, you die instantly) popped on the first level of
Despise by accident. As far as progressive advancement, that is a major part
of any type of RPG, and as for UO, it is majorly screwed up if it exists, at
all, anymore, Few would disagree, very little for newbies to do, till they
get skills up, a big problem. The dungeons in particular need to be
revamped.

'It is kind of like people complaining about the rogue characters because
they can't go to the bank,steal from the tellers to get rich.'
Huh? You're really reaching here, I can't see how this compares in the least
to my complaint. It's very easy to get cornered and killed in Despise, if
you aren't careful, hardly a cakewalk, to say nothing of the token PK's
loitering around the entrance. What ever you take from there, is fought for.

Quaestor

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Disavowed wrote:

> You are incorrect sir, all points were dead on.

What are you talking about? Who is this "sir?"

> And I won't accept any rhetoric suggesting 'changing this, changes that',

Yeah, that cause and effect has always been a stupid idea.

> OSI has an entire shard devoted to testing nothing else

But then they ignore the results and publish anyway.