Yeesh

Katherine

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
It's worth your very life to try and do business in town these days. Just
this week I resurrected a poor miner who had been slain in his hotel bed by
a swarm of lizardmen and ratmen, then fought off the hoarde while he
retrieved his belongings.

Today I nearly suffered the same fate. I had retired too late to bother
going home and just taken up in the Salty Dog for the night, and when I
woke up there was a lizardman standing next to me. As I was beating him
off, his friends the ratman and the gazer came over to join in. My barding
skills certainly saved my neck, not for the last time today. Also of help
was a kind gentleman, whose name I forget, who came to assist me.

Off I went, marking runes--I thought my sisters could use city rune books
so they could visit more towns than only Britain. I purchased mark scrolls
and runes, and went busily about, keeping the runes in the bank in between
cities for safety.

Then I recalled in to Cove. And there, right next to my recall spot, were
two gazers and a headless. "Yummy!" they all exclaimed. "No, I am skinny
and tasteless!" I protested, barding like mad until the gazers were
fighting each other over who got to eat me. Then I stood back with my
little bow and took potshots at them until one was dead and the other weak
enough to finish off easily. At last it was safe to go to the bank and
retrieve my bag of blank runes.

Oh, drat. There is no bank in Cove. I'll have to recall to Britain and
get the bag, then come back.

Recall to Britain, walk to the bank--there's a gazer, demanding equal
banking rights for the limbless. He takes out his frustrations on me with
a very potent pair of flamestrikes. I dash away to give myself a chance to
heal, and run right into his fan club, six or eight lizard- and rat-men.
Down to twenty hit points, crowded in by hostile creatures who want to make
a large withdrawal out of my physical person, I was down to a bare sliver
of consciousness by the time I managed to shove clear of them all and
stagger up to the Sweet Dreams Inn. I ran up the stairs and holed up in a
room while I healed myself. Then I sallied forth again; the gazer had
returned to complaint desk at the bank but his entourage was milling about
downstairs. I got them all squabbling amongst themselves and laid about me
with vigor until they were all dispatched, skinned and looted every one,
and dragged my haul back to the bank.

Then I went down to the provisioner's to sell all the non-gold loot from my
kills--and as I passed the Girl's Best Friend jewelry shop I heard the
mortal cry of someone gasping their last, and ran to help. Two rats and a
lizard were the culprit; I managed to wedge them in a corner so that only
one could attack me at a time while I resurrected their victim. The first
rat fell, and the lizard looted his corpse. "Thieving lizard!" I
exclaimed, and whacked on him until he perished. Even as he hit the
ground, the other rat looted HIM. I believe my poor staff needs replacing,
it took so long to finish off that rat. At last I retrieved the rat's
backpack and handed it over to the fellow they had killed, assuring him
that anything the first rat had looted should be in there somewhere.

Sold the loot, banked the gold, and recalled back to Cove to mark those
runes (that was the original purpose, remember?).

Recalled right in between another pair of gazers and TWO headless this
time. Took me quite a bit of fancy footwork, gulping heals and slapping
bandages, and working my little tambourine like crazy to get those gazers
off me and attacking each other before they managed to kill me. Thank
goodness I have a very sound constitution. By the time the first gazer was
dead the second was low on mana and easily dispatched.

At last got my Cove runes marked, then recalled back to Britain to bank
them. I had barely opened my bank box when another swarm of lizardmen and
gazers rushed by, chasing some poor mage who was trying to cast flamestrike
on them as he ran. I provoked them onto each other so he could kill them
at his leisure.

Good grief. At least all these gazers have funded the cost of the mark
scrolls and blank runes. From now on I'm sleeping out in the forest where
it's safe.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)

Eric A. Hall

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> woke up there was a lizardman standing next to me. As I was beating him
> off, his friends the ratman and the gazer came over to join in.

Lord, this sounds more like a monster brothel than anything

Katherine

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

"Corp Por" *fzzt* "Corp Por" *fzzt* "Corp Por" *fzzt*

Oh hell.

Jay Moore

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> >> woke up there was a lizardman standing next to me. As I was beating
him
> >> off, his friends the ratman and the gazer came over to join in.
> >
> >Lord, this sounds more like a monster brothel than anything
>
> "Corp Por" *fzzt* "Corp Por" *fzzt* "Corp Por" *fzzt*
>
> Oh hell.

*sigh*
Premature precast-ulation.

--
Regards,
- Jay -

Richard Cortese

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Katherine <ka...@mhn.org> wrote in message

> Then I recalled in to Cove. And there, right next to my recall spot, were
> two gazers and a headless. "Yummy!" they all exclaimed. "No, I am skinny
> and tasteless!" I protested, barding like mad until the gazers were
> fighting each other over who got to eat me. Then I stood back with my
> little bow and took potshots at them until one was dead and the other weak
> enough to finish off easily. At last it was safe to go to the bank and
> retrieve my bag of blank runes.
>
> Oh, drat. There is no bank in Cove. I'll have to recall to Britain and
> get the bag, then come back.

I don't really hate to admit this, but OSI is so close to getting it right I
am coming out of my chair thinking about this.

After all the stat maxing and massaging, after all the skills adjustments,
after more gold in the bank then Lord British has, what to do with your
'good' character?

The answer would be "Mages summoning deamons and tamers with dragons and 40+
AC head knockers" protecting miners in Cove from the 'bigassed spawn'
because that is where all the veins of Verite are, and Verite actually works
better then iron. Blacksmiths/mages can make a verite magical wizards hat
that doesn't have a dex or str penalty to keep the spell tossers interested
in the road trip.

But then we all know the Ore thieves would be there in numbers not to
mention the thieve thieves. You can't summon in town anymore because of
jerks with 4,000 of each reg on their chr summoning in the NPC mage shops or
at banks. Other then for numerous reasons it would work.<sic>

Some jerk using UOE to keep your pack open is not conducive to RPing an
event. OSI is so close though, almost what I thought UO would be about.

Attentive Dragon

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

Katherine wrote in message <39353eba...@news-server.nc.rr.com>...

>It's worth your very life to try and do business in town these days. Just

You should post this on your website in the "story" section. :)

Attentive Dragon

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

Katherine wrote in message <39353eba...@news-server.nc.rr.com>...
>It's worth your very life to try and do business in town these days. Just
>this week I resurrected a poor miner who had been slain in his hotel bed by
>a swarm of lizardmen and ratmen, then fought off the hoarde while he
>retrieved his belongings.

Had the same experience tonight... Twice had folks run past with a ratman
hot on their tails "KILL THE RAT!" since they were still fairly new. One of
em died :( But I managed to kill the rat, and get the person's stuff off of
the rat corpse. I waited around 20 minutes and they never came back, even
though I told the ghost to COME BACK and I'd give them all their stuff back.
:(

Then I was banking, and a spawn happened RIGHT next to me... about 10 of em.
They all jumped on a poor newbie named Vanessa who was standing there
banking. She lasted about a half second while I tried to provoke them all,
heal her, and attack them at the same time... down she went. Every jumped
in and killed the spawn, but it was too late for her... I was able to
provoke them all onto each other, then killed a couple and stepped back to
heal everyone else.

Later on the Scorpions showed up. Every so often as I'd travel through town
to sell things I'd pass dead bodies next to a gazer corpse. Or scattered
bodies of people... it's getting hard to tell who's dying from the spawns,
who from noto PKing, and who from the pimp/ho... er I mean the Order/Chaos
war.

some guy named danny went grey again. He goes grey EVERY five minutes from
looting, i don't think it's an accident anymore... he enjoys people
attacking him, maybe he likes dying or maybe he wants to try and kill them
without a MC.

I'm getting to know the snoopers and thieves personally. The same ones keep
snooping me. Saw one go grey stealing something from someone else, then ran
off. I chased, kept them on screen, and shouted "Guards!!!"

Watched in astonishment as they kept far ahead of the guard. Finally the
guard gave up and started wandering around!!!

Then the next spawn hit. Killed them all, then my client crashed.

Reloaded, ATLANTIC shard not on the list now?!? kept restarting program
because then it said "Problem communicating with Origin." FINALLY made it
back on, the bodies were all gone. No leather for me this time :(

With all of the constant Client crashes (at least 5 tonight) and then the
game not even LOADING afterwards (program not responding! Conenction lost!
Program commited an error and will be terminated!) combined with the insane
spawn, I thought I was going to die several times tonight. being IN town is
FAR more perilous nowadays than the wilderness!!!

The good part of tonight is, I got a LOT of leather, and some NICE tailoring
gains (I can make leather pants now!) Healing and Magery too!!! At least
"city life" isn't boring!

Katherine

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
On Thu, 25 May 2000 02:55:47 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Y'know, it really *IS* safer Recalling back to a spot just outside the
>city limits on Felucca these days. My tailor made a trip back there
>the other night and damned near got himself killed 3-4 times because
>of the insane # of lizardmen and ratmen.

It wouldn't be so bad if everyone wasn't in Trammel. But when you're the
only person in town for them to target, it gets a little bit
much...especially if you don't have a lot of interest in combat skills and
thus aren't a serious fighter...

Katherine

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
On Thu, 25 May 2000 02:34:23 -0400, "Attentive Dragon" <dex...@gate.net>
wrote:

>You should post this on your website in the "story" section. :)

Hmm, good idea.

Katherine

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
wrote:

>You should post this on your website in the "story" section. :)

There, did it. Also put up that picture of all the oilcloths. Boy,
someone was busy that day.

http://www.mhn.org/~kate/ if anyone wants to see it.

Castile Elan

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
From Castile Elan to Katherine, warm and fraternal greetings,

Katherine <ka...@mhn.org> wrote

> >You should post this on your website in the "story" section. :)
>
> There, did it. Also put up that picture of all the oilcloths. Boy,
> someone was busy that day.
>
> http://www.mhn.org/~kate/ if anyone wants to see it.

I enjoyed thy picture of the oil cloths and thy other paintings. Reminds me
of Skara Brae in Europa, where someone is constantly piling up these cloths
in the woods.

I also had a quick look at the LFE site again and very much like the new
look! Very smart indeed, so well done to whoever is doing the redesign.

May thy god go with thee

--
Castile Elan, Healers of Europa
Franciscan friar of Yew

Katherine

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
On Thu, 25 May 2000 15:15:56 +0100, "Castile Elan" <cala...@clara.co.uk>
wrote:

>I also had a quick look at the LFE site again and very much like the new
>look! Very smart indeed, so well done to whoever is doing the redesign.

Why, thank you---I'll pass your compliments along to the guildmate who did
the design. Looks almost professional now, don't it?

Little WhiteDove

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
In article <3AcX4.1524$U3.9...@newsr2.u-net.net>, Castile Elan
<cala...@clara.co.uk> wrote:

|From Castile Elan to Katherine, warm and fraternal greetings,
|
|Katherine <ka...@mhn.org> wrote
|

|> >You should post this on your website in the "story" section. :)
|>
|> There, did it. Also put up that picture of all the oilcloths. Boy,
|> someone was busy that day.
|>
|> http://www.mhn.org/~kate/ if anyone wants to see it.
|
|I enjoyed thy picture of the oil cloths and thy other paintings. Reminds me
|of Skara Brae in Europa, where someone is constantly piling up these cloths
|in the woods.
|

|I also had a quick look at the LFE site again and very much like the new
|look! Very smart indeed, so well done to whoever is doing the redesign.
|

|May thy god go with thee

|--
|Castile Elan, Healers of Europa

Thanks Castile, how kind of you to say that :) I'm so proud of Umu,
Sylver, and Klarr for all their efforts. Now the majority of the work
load is back onto my shoulders to update the information *hides under
desk*. We're having some problems with pages clashing with the new
frames (my latest greatest green and pink on the info page for
example...what WAS I thinking?!?) and reworking the links. Perhaps
after all this is done I'll start adding the URL to my sig ;)

-Little WhiteDove
Badb Catha, Lia Fail Empire
Atlantic

Conrad R. Harkrader

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
> I enjoyed thy picture of the oil cloths and thy other paintings. Reminds
me
> of Skara Brae in Europa, where someone is constantly piling up these
cloths
> in the woods.

Reminds me of one trip I made to Nujel'm. Someone had been practiciing
carpentry, and had put stacks of gnarled staves four deep, piled as high as
possible, all the way around the bank. There was some weird grpahical
effect so that the ones on the south end actually looked like they were
going partically through the wall. Shoulda taken a screenshot of it.

Rich;)