Scamming

Dominic

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
I saw a blatant abuse of trust today and was wondering if anyone could
answer the following?

A character named Larson Vermont sold a 'Full City Runebook' to another guy
at Britains bank (Europa) for 4K. When the unfortunate purchaser opened the
book however, he discovered it to be empty. Larson was ignoring him and the
other protesting people that gathered to condemn him, then ran promptly to
Cats Lair where he logged off.

Now, the purchaser was going to report this to a GM (probably still trying
*smiles*). Will a GM be able to take action? Or has Larson gotten away with
his ill deeds?

Wolfie, Europa Shard

Katherine

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:40:36 +0100, "Dominic"
<dominic.sut...@btinternet.com> expounded:

>A character named Larson Vermont sold a 'Full City Runebook' to another guy
>at Britains bank (Europa) for 4K. When the unfortunate purchaser opened the
>book however, he discovered it to be empty. Larson was ignoring him and the
>other protesting people that gathered to condemn him, then ran promptly to
>Cats Lair where he logged off.

From my understanding, if he was calling it a "full city rune book" then he
can be nabbed for scamming. The victim's journal could presumably be used
to verify what, exactly, was being offered.

I've never actually witnessed anything come of a scam report, but I hear on
this group that the GMs are actually doing something about it now.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Lars Friedrich

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
"Katherine" wrote:
> I've never actually witnessed anything come of a scam report, but I hear
on
> this group that the GMs are actually doing something about it now.
OSI seriously tries to do something against it now.
This doesn't mean the scammer will get what he deserves for sure when
reported, but at least they try their best, which is something I can't say
very often about OSI. And this is 180° from their "This is part of the
roleplaying experience." before. Not that I would mind but it comes two
years too late imo.

gil

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

Katherine wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:40:36 +0100, "Dominic"
> <dominic.sut...@btinternet.com> expounded:
>
> >A character named Larson Vermont sold a 'Full City Runebook' to another guy
> >at Britains bank (Europa) for 4K. When the unfortunate purchaser opened the
> >book however, he discovered it to be empty. Larson was ignoring him and the
> >other protesting people that gathered to condemn him, then ran promptly to
> >Cats Lair where he logged off.
>
> From my understanding, if he was calling it a "full city rune book" then he
> can be nabbed for scamming. The victim's journal could presumably be used
> to verify what, exactly, was being offered.
>

> I've never actually witnessed anything come of a scam report, but I hear on
> this group that the GMs are actually doing something about it now.

Stratics news about a month or so ago had an official OSI blurb about
scamming, to the effect that:

-selling a longsword of ruin (fair market value ~ worthless) for 1
million gold is ok if you call it a longsword of ruin.

-selling a longsword of ruin that you say is a vanquishing longsword is
scamming and GMs will get involved, and may ban the scammer.

gil

Insane Ranter

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
gil wrote:

what about calling a backgammon baord a rare and charging 10k for it?

Rick Cortese

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
wrote:

> >what about calling a backgammon baord a rare and charging 10k for it?
> >

> Saw one of those on Chessie yesterday, too. Next to a gold Mark scroll for
> 50k and a piece of beeswax for 20k or so. Really pisses me off, but what
> can I do?

I made a large pile of mark scrolls with one of my scribes and converted
them all to gold. I put them up for sale ~"60 gold easy to make, not rare".
Sold them all in a day, checked all the vendors in my area and they all had
"1000 gold Rare Mark Scrolls".

I stopped making them.

But I will tell you, I have a nose for what may eventually become a semi
rare. If you have a scribe you may want to make a couple of dozen gold mark
scrolls just in case OSI removes it from the game. There may come a day when
you people will gladly spend 1-2k for a gold mark scroll.

Adam Burr

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
In article <39973E1D...@spam.com>, Insane Ranter <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>what about calling a backgammon baord a rare and charging 10k for it?

Saw one of those on Chessie yesterday, too. Next to a gold Mark scroll for
50k and a piece of beeswax for 20k or so. Really pisses me off, but what
can I do?

Madman Across the Water

Otara

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Anyone who has that kind of gold for that kind of thing will survive.
Not to say its OK, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I'm more worried about people stripping newbies of what little cash
they've already gathered by selling them 'neato magic weapons' and the
like.

Otara

bluefunk

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
I think the point is similar to a law in here in England (and no doubt
elsewhere) where you can say something blatantly obvious to be a lie, i.e X
weighs as much as an elephant (obviously not true!) compaired to: X weighs
20 stone, could be true!

Insane Ranter <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

gil

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

Insane Ranter wrote:

> gil wrote:
>
> > Katherine wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:40:36 +0100, "Dominic"
> > > <dominic.sut...@btinternet.com> expounded:

> > > From my understanding, if he was calling it a "full city rune book" then he
> > > can be nabbed for scamming. The victim's journal could presumably be used
> > > to verify what, exactly, was being offered.
> > >
> > > I've never actually witnessed anything come of a scam report, but I hear on
> > > this group that the GMs are actually doing something about it now.
> >
> > Stratics news about a month or so ago had an official OSI blurb about
> > scamming, to the effect that:
> >
> > -selling a longsword of ruin (fair market value ~ worthless) for 1
> > million gold is ok if you call it a longsword of ruin.
> >
> > -selling a longsword of ruin that you say is a vanquishing longsword is
> > scamming and GMs will get involved, and may ban the scammer.
> >
> > gil
>
> what about calling a backgammon baord a rare and charging 10k for it?

Backgammon boards aren't rare, so that would be a misrepresentation of
the goods for sale/trade, so I'd say it's proscribed behavior.

gil

kh...@icqmail.com

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:41:55 -0700, "Rick Cortese"
<rico...@netmagic.net> wrote:

>> Saw one of those on Chessie yesterday, too. Next to a gold Mark scroll for
>> 50k and a piece of beeswax for 20k or so. Really pisses me off, but what
>> can I do?
>

>I made a large pile of mark scrolls with one of my scribes and converted
>them all to gold. I put them up for sale ~"60 gold easy to make, not rare".
>Sold them all in a day, checked all the vendors in my area and they all had
>"1000 gold Rare Mark Scrolls".
>
>I stopped making them.

Huh.

I would have just changed em to "500 gold easy to make..." and
watched.

>But I will tell you, I have a nose for what may eventually become a semi
>rare. If you have a scribe you may want to make a couple of dozen gold mark
>scrolls just in case OSI removes it from the game. There may come a day when
>you people will gladly spend 1-2k for a gold mark scroll.

Aye, I'm definately doing that.

Found a vendor selling a 'grab bag' full of random junk for 100 gold.
Cept he had a bottle of pink champagne in there as well.

I tossed just about everything else, just in case it was an attempt at
"grief duping" - dupe junk and a rare, get people banned. Assuming
Ian's (?) theory on how they detect duped goods was accurate, I
*should* be safe if it was.

If not, I've got other shards I can play on.

Ian A Kelley

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Dominic (dominic.sut...@btinternet.com) wrote:

: Now, the purchaser was going to report this to a GM (probably still trying

: *smiles*). Will a GM be able to take action? Or has Larson gotten away with
: his ill deeds?

Probably. They're cracking down on scammers now. A personal experience to
prove it:

Right before UO:R went in, on my way to the bank with a full packhorse
of wood, one of those lovely town monster spawns appeared and slaughtered
me and my packhorse. On my way to retrieve the wood from the corpse, I
found some unscrupulous individual dragging it to the bank himself. Me
and a few others surrounded him and demanded he return the wood. (he
couldn't move since it was too heavy) Being your standard UO griefer, he
laughed at us and refused to return it, and there was quite a long
standoff. Fortunately, this was a newbie griefer, and said he would sell
me the 1600 wood back for 500 gold. Of course, upon handing over the 500,
he wouldn't drop the wood, so several people paged GMs. About a minute
later *poof* someone appears asking where the scammer is. Of course by
then we had told him that we had paged the GMs, so the griefer handed
over the wood.

So they are doing something at least.

--
Ian Kelley "Try not to become a man of success but
ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu rather to become a man of value."