Reason for new lockdown patch.

1 view

RKJER

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
I paged a counselor today to report someone using a newbie bag to keep his
regs after he died, i can verify this because i saw him rez and imediatley
cast GH on himself. The counselor verified that the bug did exist, reported
this occurance to a GM and as i was about to leave she said: Thats the
reason for the new lockdown patch. So there ya have it folks, no decoration
because people used it to make newbiefied bags.

Robert
Catskills

Travail

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

I think blessed bags ought to be a gift item at some point. They could be
limited to only hold a few items and limited weight, but would sure help
when you die to get back to full health at least. Maybe you could keep a
Recall scroll, a rune, some bandages, some regeants in there. And of course
that silver vanquishing viking sword you always carry around. ;-)

Another idea would be bags-of-holding, a-la D&D, that could hold unlimited
weight.

I had heard there was a bug with unlimited secure containers which caused
that change, which, unless it has something to do with lag, I don't really
see as such an urgent problem that they should screw decorating. It could
have waited till they had another implementation for decorating, in other
words. And I don't see any problem with newbified bags, certainly not
enough to screw decorating for, with the same provisions.

Fix it, sure, I don't care either way. But there are so many people with
new, undecorated houses that I just think the fix could wait until a
decorating fix was ready.

IMHO, as always.

--Travail
(Great Lakes)

RKJER

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
And I don't see any problem with newbified bags, certainly not
> enough to screw decorating for, with the same provisions.
>
> Fix it, sure, I don't care either way. But there are so many people with
> new, undecorated houses that I just think the fix could wait until a
> decorating fix was ready.
>
> IMHO, as always.

Well, for the average player no, but in order vs chaos fights being able to
keep your things after you die is an unfair advantage, that person can just
disarm all armor/weapons into bag when he's low on hp and be completely
restocked, but someone he kills doesnt have that luxury and gets that
person's equipment with no risk to his own.

Robert
Catskills

Phoenix

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
Blessed bags would not be could, especially in PvP. and im sure someone
would come up with a way to keep their vanq. katana after death. and as for
keeping a recal rune, what do u think runebooks are for?

Phx

"Travail" <tra...@twilson.com> wrote in message

> Robert wrote:
> > I paged a counselor today to report someone using a newbie bag to keep
his
> > regs after he died, i can verify this because i saw him rez and
imediatley
> > cast GH on himself. The counselor verified that the bug did exist,
> reported
> > this occurance to a GM and as i was about to leave she said: Thats the
> > reason for the new lockdown patch. So there ya have it folks, no
> decoration
> > because people used it to make newbiefied bags.
>
> I think blessed bags ought to be a gift item at some point. They could be
> limited to only hold a few items and limited weight, but would sure help
> when you die to get back to full health at least. Maybe you could keep a
> Recall scroll, a rune, some bandages, some regeants in there. And of
course
> that silver vanquishing viking sword you always carry around. ;-)
>
> Another idea would be bags-of-holding, a-la D&D, that could hold unlimited
> weight.
>
> I had heard there was a bug with unlimited secure containers which caused
> that change, which, unless it has something to do with lag, I don't really
> see as such an urgent problem that they should screw decorating. It could
> have waited till they had another implementation for decorating, in other

> words. And I don't see any problem with newbified bags, certainly not

> enough to screw decorating for, with the same provisions.
>
> Fix it, sure, I don't care either way. But there are so many people with
> new, undecorated houses that I just think the fix could wait until a
> decorating fix was ready.
>
> IMHO, as always.
>

> --Travail
> (Great Lakes)

Dorian

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:44:16 +0100, "Phoenix" <phoen...@phreaker.net>
wrote:

>Blessed bags would not be could, especially in PvP. and im sure someone
>would come up with a way to keep their vanq. katana after death. and as for
>keeping a recal rune, what do u think runebooks are for?
>
>Phx

They arent for keeping runes on death, they have been newbiefied due
to a programming bug, nothing more. It will be fixed.

Lars Friedrich

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
"Dorian" wrote:
> They arent for keeping runes on death, they have been newbiefied due
> to a programming bug, nothing more.

> It will be fixed.
Source of information?

Dorian

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
On 5 Aug 2000 14:43:12 -0500, "Lars Friedrich"
<Iya...@generalmail.net> wrote:

Calandryll, Melantus,Tyrant,Runesabre, and Sage have said so at
various times, If the threads still exist,ill link to em :)

Damocles

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:24:38 GMT, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 17:03:41 GMT, "Travail" <tra...@twilson.com>
>wrote:

>>I think blessed bags ought to be a gift item at some point. They could be
>>limited to only hold a few items and limited weight, but would sure help
>>when you die to get back to full health at least. Maybe you could keep a
>>Recall scroll, a rune, some bandages, some regeants in there. And of course
>>that silver vanquishing viking sword you always carry around. ;-)
>>

>They already have Bless Deeds they hand out as prizes or Xmas gifts.

Can't bless containers with them.

Lars Friedrich

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
"Dorian" wrote:
> >> They arent for keeping runes on death, they have been newbiefied due
> >> to a programming bug, nothing more.
> >> It will be fixed.
> >Source of information?
> Calandryll, Melantus,Tyrant,Runesabre, and Sage have said so at
> various times, If the threads still exist,ill link to em :)
How about a reliable source? Like Lum?

=;)

kh...@icqmail.com

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 16:18:12 GMT, "RKJER" <rka...@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>I paged a counselor today to report someone using a newbie bag to keep his
>regs after he died, i can verify this because i saw him rez and imediatley
>cast GH on himself. The counselor verified that the bug did exist, reported
>this occurance to a GM and as i was about to leave she said: Thats the
>reason for the new lockdown patch. So there ya have it folks, no decoration
>because people used it to make newbiefied bags.

I've seen about half a dozen vendors selling "newbie" bags containing
(typically) 5 GH potions and 2 GC potions.

Kiril Threndor

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Damocles <phae...@yahoo.com> only went ahead and wrote!

>Can't bless containers with them.

You can bless the fruit bowls.

Kiril Threndor
OGD SP

Dorian

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:33:54 +0100, Kiril Threndor
<ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Damocles <phae...@yahoo.com> only went ahead and wrote!
>>
>>Can't bless containers with them.
>>

>You can bless the fruit bowls.

And a fruit bowl is not a container.

Nate

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
It is if you eat the fruit... isn't it?

--
Nathaniel Minera, GM Blacksmith & Miner
of the Serpent's Spine, Great Lakes (Trammel)

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

xigam....@yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
wrote:

>I think blessed bags ought to be a gift item at some point. They could be
>limited to only hold a few items and limited weight, but would sure help

Perhaps at some point they should just remove death from the game?

- Xigam

xigam....@yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
wrote:

>Bags of Holding aren't unlimited weight: In fact if you read the DMG
>they seem to have a *fixed* weight of 60#. You may be thinking about
>the Portable Hole and that still has a volume limitation (10' x 10' by
>10').

Humm.. I've got to put up a new fence.. where can I get a portable
hole?

Insane Ranter

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
xigam....@yahoo.com wrote:

No death!! Then how would you kill things? nerfing combat skills now are ya?

Dorian

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:05:01 -0700, Nate
<nrussell3...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Dorian <bond...@home.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:33:54 +0100, Kiril Threndor
>><ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Damocles <phae...@yahoo.com> only went ahead and wrote!

>>>You can bless the fruit bowls.
>>

>>And a fruit bowl is not a container.
>>

>It is if you eat the fruit... isn't it?

It becomes a completely different item, Fruit basket is deleted,
Basket is created in the spot where fruit basket once was.

Todd Bailey

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
I noticed a minor bug in lockdowns last night; I have a few lanterns locked
down. If I tried to turn them on, I got a message that said that I can not
use that while locked down.

Katherine

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:44:00 -0400, "Todd Bailey" <toddba...@hotmail.com>
expounded:

>I noticed a minor bug in lockdowns last night; I have a few lanterns locked
>down. If I tried to turn them on, I got a message that said that I can not
>use that while locked down.

Yeah, that seems to be part of the new code that prevents people from
eating your locked-down rares. I have all the lanterns at the town hall
turned on all the time, because I had to lock them down that way.

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Travail

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Xigam wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 17:03:41 GMT, "Travail" <tra...@twilson.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I think blessed bags ought to be a gift item at some point. They could
be
> >limited to only hold a few items and limited weight, but would sure help
>

> Perhaps at some point they should just remove death from the game?

Now, now. Magical items are a standard part of fantasy role playing games,
even the CRPG kind. Many of them are nifty tools that make the life of an
adventurer easier. I think such bags would fit the bill nicely. They would
be relatively rare and wouldn't hold that much. I don't understand folks
who hunger to be punished in the game. "Skills go up too fast." "There's
no penalty for death." "Trammel is for wusses." "Might as well remove death
from the game." Whatever.

--Travail
(Great Lakes)

Rob

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Well, sort of right, nobody who is not-friended to the house can eat any locked
down items, but a friend or the owner's characters can. *grumbles* I was having
a hard time getting my fruit basket on the table in the dining nook, and when I
finally did, I locked it down. About 5 minutes later, I double-clicked by
mistake and ate it. Left me with a locked down empty bowl :(

Kheldar.

Hey, Katherine, Where is the LFE main house now? I went looking but couldn't
find it?

Support anti-Spam legislation.
Join the fight http://www.cauce.org/

Katherine

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:42:08 -0400, Rob <ro...@concentric.net> expounded:

>Hey, Katherine, Where is the LFE main house now? I went looking but couldn't
>find it?

It's in the same place on both facets. Go west of Brit to the crossroads
(you have to go through the mountain road, not southern one to Trinsic).
Turn right (northwest) at the crossroads and keep going until you pass the
guard tower on your left. Then bear off right into the woods. If you
bring up your radar you'll see a clearing on the right/northeast of the
road that's shaped like a big footprint; that's where the LFE houses are.
On Felucca it's a two-story stone-and-plaster house, and on Trammel it's a
tower.

Drop by anytime, there's usually someone hanging around...