Grandmasters in a Day... YES/NO?

Tan WM

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Do you think that it should take a very substantial amount of time ie
2-3 weeks of gameplay for a character to become a grandmaster?

On the one hand it seems more realistic that one not be able to kill
an Ettin single-handed after just a few real-time days of gameplay.
If you can remember Wizardry I, it would take at least two weeks of
playing before your characters could even survive level 8 of the
dungeon. And another few weeks before they could consistently
survive. Legally anyway.

That would certainly create much more challenge in the game. Some of
course would argue that it's an artificial way of doing so, but
remember that most RPGs create challenges in this manner.

I think it would help the problem with overhunting as well. And with
more creatures perhaps there would be less of a tendency to be bored
and PK *grin*. A lot less people standing/sitting around twiddling
thumbs.

Of course, this would mean a great deal more effort and time would be
needed and devoted to "building up" one's character. IMO that's how
it should be. The other problem though is since UO is not skill-based
rather than XP-based, a slow steep curve for gaining skill would mean
far less tangible rewards from killing those 37 orcs. Would you
continue playing the game week after week (paying for it) if you
weren't able to see your character improving?

What does everyone think?

PS: btw, I still haven't received my UOCE. *sigh*

Jeff Gentry

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Tan WM (kwek...@po.pacific.net.sg) wrote:
:
: Do you think that it should take a very substantial amount of time ie

: 2-3 weeks of gameplay for a character to become a grandmaster?

More like 2-3 months ... of say like 4 or so hours a day play.

: On the one hand it seems more realistic that one not be able to kill

: an Ettin single-handed after just a few real-time days of gameplay.

Even without the advancement bug, I did this after just 1.5 hours on
Lake Superior last night. How sad.
--
Jeff Gentry jes...@rpi.edu RPI CompSci Senior
SEX DRUGS UNIX

Jeff Gentry

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

devere1 (dev...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: The thing with skill advancement is ridiculous. Some skills are utterly
: useless, and you never get anywhere. I contend that you should be able to
: *START OUT* with a very high skill, say 80-90 in one of your skills, and
: two low ones. Or you can have 3 medium ones. THat way, you can start out

Oh great. People _start_ as adepts ... gee, that's great. I always thought
they wanted it so people couldn't become masters and higher for months -
they should be SLOWING DOWN advancement rates if nothing else. I mean, damn -
In just a few hours on Lake Superior last night, I made thousands of gold,
gained about 15 stat points and about 50 skill points ... and I wasn't even
powergaming. Mind you, this is with the "advancement bug" fixed ...

: person with a very high skill, even a grandmaster-in-everything, would have
: a VERY hard time defeating even one monster on dungeon level 8. ANd, it

Agreed! I think that it should take say, a party of 4-8 journeyman+ types
to even get past a 2nd level of a dungeon.

: should also be set up so that monsters loot the corpses. That would give a

Some do. I saw an orc loot a corpse once. When I killed the orc, all that
guys shit was on the orc.

devere1

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Tan WM <kwek...@po.pacific.net.sg> wrote in article
<343676bd...@news.supernews.com>...

> Do you think that it should take a very substantial amount of time ie
> 2-3 weeks of gameplay for a character to become a grandmaster?

Ah, here we go.

The thing with skill advancement is ridiculous. Some skills are utterly
useless, and you never get anywhere. I contend that you should be able to
*START OUT* with a very high skill, say 80-90 in one of your skills, and
two low ones. Or you can have 3 medium ones. THat way, you can start out

doing the fun stuff. Building up a character is not fun in UO because it
takes way too long, and gets tedius. And, most of the skills are utterly
worthless. Now, dungeons is another issue--It should be set up that a

person with a very high skill, even a grandmaster-in-everything, would have
a VERY hard time defeating even one monster on dungeon level 8. ANd, it

should also be set up so that monsters loot the corpses. That would give a

freakingly huge tangible benifit to the guy who finally does kill the big
bad monster, as well as seriously discouragelooting (Looting becomes
impossible). Then, if a monster becomes too encumbered it would some
gold/equipment into chests. THis would be an excellent way of handling
both the empty dungeons and the looting and the stat-building problems,
IMO.

-Ophidian Dragon

Craig Fletcher

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

> Even without the advancement bug, I did this after just 1.5

hours on
> Lake Superior last night. How sad.

Thats funny. Supposedly Origin fixed that bug an yet it is
happening on their brand new flagship server?

Tan WM

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

>: Do you think that it should take a very substantial amount of time ie

>: 2-3 weeks of gameplay for a character to become a grandmaster?
>
>More like 2-3 months ... of say like 4 or so hours a day play.

2-3 months sounds a bit long... but I get the idea.

I'm wondering how far this game can go without an incredibly difficult
advancement curve. In solo Ultima IV, V, VI etc, besides monsters,
you had an underlying quest to fulfill. Now in UO unfortunately
you've got 50000+ players competing with you to fulfill that quest (so
I exaggerate...). The chance that you'll be the one completing that
quest first is greatly reduced. The only challenge left is killing
monsters - which quickly becomes pointless if you're a GM and able to
slay a dragon on your own.

An average Ultima takes about 2-3 months to complete, playing 2-3
hours a day or less. With the massive proliferation of clues and
information about UO on web sites, it won't be 3 weeks before you know
everything there is to know about UO. I mean, I haven't even seen the
entrance to Wind, but I know it exists, and I know how to get in.
That kind of information should have taken me at least a week of
playing in solo Ultima to find... therein the enjoyment and challenge.

There can only be so many undead spawnings and attacks on towns...
before it becomes "just another undead attack *yawn*"

I have no experience with M59 and other online persistent MUD-type
games... how do they deal with this?

WM

Kevin Lam

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

: >it matter which spells you cast? I've cast spells at least 200 times and
: >can't raise it.
: I am having same problem, I went through at least 1500 gold in
: regeants cast 1st circle spells and have only seen a one point
: increase. I know higher circle spells raise it faster, but if I can't
: get to 50 magery I can't cast anything else! Advice\help please

My God!! You spent 1500 cast 1st circle spells??? My God!! You're rich!
However, casting 1st circle spells cant help you much to inc your magery
if your magery and int ratio exceed a certain value. I frgot the fomula.
Also, you dont need to have 50 magery to cast other circle spell beside
1st. I'm a warrior and I can cast up to 4th circle spell with my 38
magery. Why? Bcos the requirement of casting higher level spell is you
can successfully cast 4 of different spell in the lowest level. If you
want to cast 2nd circle spell. you need to cast 4 spell in 1st level
successfully. That is. Hope it help.. Tell me how can you earn this lot
of money..

Kevin.
aka Royal Dragon.
Great Lord, Expert Swordman.

Jake Page

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <61bjs5$nue$1...@tst.hk.super.net>,

Really? Well, that's nice to know. Especially since the Origin Web
page says exactly what this poor person thought was the case (it
says you need to cast at least 4 spells of the lower level AND have a
magery of 50!) I thought this was an insane requirement... (I was
trying to imagine all of those new mages out there, off on their
adventures casting "Create Food" over and over again :)

Doug Bora

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

: successfully. That is. Hope it help.. Tell me how can you earn this lot
: of money..
: Great Lord, Expert Swordman.

How did you get to be an expert swordsman and not have lots of money? I
just collect everything I find whether it be from something I've killed,
or just finding it laying around. I can't tell you how much money I made
just selling empty backpacks. I've also made a lot selling standard
weapons that I've found on monsters, etc. You guys gotta learn to start
picking everything up and selling it. Earlier in my career as a
warrior/tracker, I would pick up anything and everything I found until I
was almost fully loaded, then I'd return to town to sell everything I
could. Pretty soon you see what items simply won't sell and what ones
will. You sell everything off, repair your armor and weapons, then head
back out there to earn and find a new load of goods. There's a ton of
money to be made here.

--
Doug Bora
stig...@wwa.com

steve

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

stig...@wwa.com (Doug Bora) wrote:

1) To increase Magery you need to cast the highest level spells that
you can cast. My magery shot up from 38 to 55 by casting fire fields
and blade spirits.

2) Don't carry items that fill you to your maximum carrying capacity.
If you run into a Gazer or Gargoyles and they curse you, your STR will
be lower and you will be overloaded (Temporarily).