Provoking thieves

Brin White

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
I was at the bank and a thief took a couple of recall scrolls from me. I
wouldn't have noticed or really even cared but he wanted to say thanks. At
this point I decided to try out the thief patch and attack him. Chased him
around for awhile getting hits in here and there when suddenly he was able to
attack me. I know the update said that you would be able to attack someone
without going gray to them if they stole from you in the last two minutes.
Does this mean that if you don't kill them in two minutes they can start
attacking you?
Also, if I am on a horse and he is on foot, yet is able to keep up with me,
is that fastwalk or just a fast connection?

Br

Bob Roland

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Well, they can start attacking you, but if they kill you they'll get
kicked out of the thieves guild. As for the horse thing, I remember
when I first started playing. I was traveling on foot between Minoc and
Britan. I was on horse and a pk began chasing me., He was on foot and
wearing plate.

He ran me down like a dog.

For the longest time I never rode a horse because I was convinced that
they didn't move any faster. Don't sweat it. He was probally on a
cable modem, or just had short hops to the server. It happens. (if he
was useing fastwalk he would be blinking all over the place.)

Great bob

Hobbes

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Forensic evaluation marks them as a thief and makes them attackable.
Town is still the same for them though, so they can attack back
though.

One thing to note. If they do attack back it is only to scare you off.
Because if they kill you they lose the ability to steal for a week
(online week, not actual or game), hence the reason most people let
themselves get hit then drink some poison and screw up the thieves
life.

On 6 Mar 1999 03:13:04 -0600, brw...@usa.net (Brin White) wrote:

>I was at the bank and a thief took a couple of recall scrolls from me. I
>wouldn't have noticed or really even cared but he wanted to say thanks. At
>this point I decided to try out the thief patch and attack him. Chased him
>around for awhile getting hits in here and there when suddenly he was able to
>attack me. I know the update said that you would be able to attack someone
>without going gray to them if they stole from you in the last two minutes.
>Does this mean that if you don't kill them in two minutes they can start
>attacking you?
>Also, if I am on a horse and he is on foot, yet is able to keep up with me,
>is that fastwalk or just a fast connection?
>

>Br

Nathanial

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Bob Roland wrote:

> Brin White wrote:

> > Also, if I am on a horse and he is on foot, yet is able to keep up with me,
> > is that fastwalk or just a fast connection?

In more cases than some it is just a fast connection & a faster computer

> Well, they can start attacking you, but if they kill you they'll get
> kicked out of the thieves guild. As for the horse thing, I remember
> when I first started playing. I was traveling on foot between Minoc and
> Britan. I was on horse and a pk began chasing me., He was on foot and
> wearing plate.
>
> He ran me down like a dog.
>
> For the longest time I never rode a horse because I was convinced that
> they didn't move any faster. Don't sweat it. He was probally on a
> cable modem, or just had short hops to the server. It happens. (if he
> was useing fastwalk he would be blinking all over the place.)
>
> Great bob

Ya, on my k62 3d 400mhz with 128pc100mem & UDMA drive & my new cable
modem I outrun people on horses 90% of the time.

Nathanial -LS

Brin White

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <36E101F6...@tci.com>, Bob Roland <rolan...@tci.com> wrote:

>Well, they can start attacking you, but if they kill you they'll get
>kicked out of the thieves guild.

The update page says the following:
"Victims of thieves can feel free to attack them, as they will not go gray for
attacking a thief who has stolen from them in the last two minutes."

I should point out that this was done in town and guards were called when the
thief started attacking me. Now the only way the thief should have been able
to attack me in town is if I went gray to the thief, and the update page says
that shouldn't have happened.

Br

LydiaLasV

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
In article <HedE2.34364$F63....@newscene.newscene.com>, brw...@usa.net (Brin
White) writes:

>I should point out that this was done in town and guards were called when the
>thief started attacking me. Now the only way the thief should have been able
>to attack me in town is if I went gray to the thief, and the update page says
>that shouldn't have happened.
>
>Br

He was attacking or self defending? Attacking not allowed, defending is.