Library books

Barnaby Madgett

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
I'm contemplating turning my house into a kind of library type place, but
need to know what restrictions I'd have on what I can leave lying around
before I progress the idea much further.

If I transcribe a bunch of text into a book, then lock it down, can this
text be edited by any old Tom, Dick or Harriet who comes along? Are there
'special' books that you can make non-editable? [seem to remember something
about this in another thread] What would be totally ideal would be a special
book that would allow people to add things, but not delete something written
by someone else - but I'm guessing that's a bit much to ask for.

Can I put books on a bookshelf and lock that down, or do they just have to
lie on tables/floor/in chests?

Also, runebooks; if I lock a runebook down, can anyone else remove runes
from it, or otherwise mess it up? I realise they could probably use up
recall/gate charges but that's not a problem.

I'd like to make it a helpful resource, but don't want those few grief
players to be able to mess it up. Any suggestions/hints gratefully received!

Cheers

Barns
--
Barnabas Madgett, Prestidigitator, NWB Guild
Dedicated to helping new/young characters/players

Barnaby Madgett

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Oh, also, what's the max length of text you can fit in a book?

"Barnaby Madgett" <bar...@madgett.com> wrote in message
> I'm contemplating turning my house into a kind of library type place...
<snip>

Brent

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Barnaby Madgett wrote:

> I'm contemplating turning my house into a kind of library type place, but
> need to know what restrictions I'd have on what I can leave lying around
> before I progress the idea much further.
>
> If I transcribe a bunch of text into a book, then lock it down, can this
> text be edited by any old Tom, Dick or Harriet who comes along? Are there
> 'special' books that you can make non-editable? [seem to remember something
> about this in another thread] What would be totally ideal would be a special
> book that would allow people to add things, but not delete something written
> by someone else - but I'm guessing that's a bit much to ask for.

Currently, anyone can edit a locked down book. There is something in
either development or testing where the purple books will not be
editable.

> Can I put books on a bookshelf and lock that down, or do they just have to
> lie on tables/floor/in chests?

You can put books on anywhere they will go and lock them down. It seems
I had heard about some bug with locking down items on top of
bookshelves.

> Also, runebooks; if I lock a runebook down, can anyone else remove runes
> from it, or otherwise mess it up? I realise they could probably use up
> recall/gate charges but that's not a problem.

No, they cannot. Only owners and co-owners (I think) can remove the
runes. Even friends cannot.

Castile Elan

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
From Castile Elan to Barnaby, greetings

Barnaby Madgett <bar...@madgett.com> wrote

: If I transcribe a bunch of text into a book, then lock it down, can this

: text be edited by any old Tom, Dick or Harriet who comes along? Are there
: 'special' books that you can make non-editable? [seem to remember
something
: about this in another thread] What would be totally ideal would be a
special
: book that would allow people to add things, but not delete something
written
: by someone else - but I'm guessing that's a bit much to ask for.

At present, people can "add" to locked down books - I used to have a
complete library in the chapel, just as you plan, and many of the books were
defaced with the most offensive language you can imagine - and then some.
There are changes imminent which will allow you to make some books
"read-only" - see In Testing for more accurate information:
http://www.uo.com

:
: Can I put books on a bookshelf and lock that down, or do they just have to
: lie on tables/floor/in chests?

You can place books in a bookshelf and lock it down - all the books therein
become locked down too - make sure you have enough slots. Unfortunately, the
bookshelf still looks empty so few people look in it - except the idiots who
are hoping to ruin the books (i.e. polite people rarely open other people's
boxes or shelves, I find). You cannot fit a complete set of Britannian books
(about thirty titles) in one shelf they sit upon one another and obstruct.
If you use several bookshelves, you can overcome this - or, as I did (tiny
wooden house!) use pouches as containers.

:
: Also, runebooks; if I lock a runebook down, can anyone else remove runes

: from it, or otherwise mess it up? I realise they could probably use up
: recall/gate charges but that's not a problem.

:

Less sure about these, as I never got a chance to try it. I remember people
posting that locked down runebooks didn't work, i.e. you couldn't recall off
them. I certainly don't see many about. perhaps this has changed (or is just
a figment of my senility) so you had better wait until someone with more
experience answers this!

I hope I will see you this eve.

--
May thy god go with thee

Castile Elan, Healers of Europa
Franciscan friar of Yew

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:21:47 GMT, Brent <bab...@flash.net> expounded:

>No, they cannot. Only owners and co-owners (I think) can remove the
>runes. Even friends cannot.

IIRC, you have to unlock the rune book before you can remove any runes.
(Which would be to say, you're correct. :)

Katherine, Grandmaster Healer
Ciaran, Lia Fail Empire (Atlantic)
Hosting Dr. Dolittle's Stories <http://www.mhn.org/~kate/stories/>

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:42:24 +0100, "Castile Elan" <sea...@go.com>
expounded:

>Less sure about these, as I never got a chance to try it. I remember people
>posting that locked down runebooks didn't work, i.e. you couldn't recall off
>them. I certainly don't see many about. perhaps this has changed (or is just
>a figment of my senility) so you had better wait until someone with more
>experience answers this!

Locked down runebooks are an odd creature. They will not work if they are
in a container, either locked down or secure, but you can use them if they
are simply locked down on the floor or a table. I can't remember if
unfriended people can put scrolls on them to charge them.

Barnaby Madgett

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Thanks for the hints and advice, one and all - most imformative. It sounds
like there is at least the basis there to allow me to consider further my
plans.

Barnaby Madgett

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
> I hope I will see you this eve.
>
> --
> May thy god go with thee
>
> Castile Elan, Healers of Europa
> Franciscan friar of Yew

Glad you got the message - sorry if I've now over-spammed your ICQ! I am
convinced your healing skills will come much in handy *grin*

Ronald In 't Velt

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:09:29 GMT, ka...@mhn.org (Katherine) wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:42:24 +0100, "Castile Elan" <sea...@go.com>
>expounded:
>
>>Less sure about these, as I never got a chance to try it. I remember people
>>posting that locked down runebooks didn't work, i.e. you couldn't recall off
>>them. I certainly don't see many about. perhaps this has changed (or is just
>>a figment of my senility) so you had better wait until someone with more
>>experience answers this!
>
>Locked down runebooks are an odd creature. They will not work if they are
>in a container, either locked down or secure, but you can use them if they
>are simply locked down on the floor or a table. I can't remember if
>unfriended people can put scrolls on them to charge them.

They can't, but IIRC that will be changed in the upcoming lockdown
patch

Ronald In 't Velt
Please remove MUX from my address to reply.

Gimble

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
OK, just to be clear that I understand:

You cannot remove a rune from a rune book unless it is not locked down.

But can you *ADD* runes to a rune book that is locked down?

"Katherine" <ka...@mhn.org> wrote in message

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:21:47 GMT, Brent <bab...@flash.net> expounded:
>
> >No, they cannot. Only owners and co-owners (I think) can remove the
> >runes. Even friends cannot.
>
> IIRC, you have to unlock the rune book before you can remove any runes.
> (Which would be to say, you're correct. :)

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:03:45 GMT, "Gimble" <gimb...@bigfoot.com>
expounded:

>OK, just to be clear that I understand:
>
>You cannot remove a rune from a rune book unless it is not locked down.
>
>But can you *ADD* runes to a rune book that is locked down?

Hmm--that, I have not tried. I'll give it a shot when I get on tonight and
see if it lets me.

Mistress Morrigan

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
And unless they patched it with the Ren patch you CAN use the charged book
to recall from as I was able to do it with a locked down book before the
split

Mistress Morrigan (Trinity Goddess) "Goddess of War" (The Britannian
League Of Tamers) L-T
Pronunciation {mor-rig-ahn}

=
High Queen and Goddess of the Tuatha Dé Danann.
As Macha she is Goddess of war and fertility
As Badb she is the water-goddess whose sacred well is a source of knowledge.
As Neman she is the goddess of war and battle.

-----------

"Gimble" <gimb...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> OK, just to be clear that I understand:
>
> You cannot remove a rune from a rune book unless it is not locked down.
>
> But can you *ADD* runes to a rune book that is locked down?
>

> "Katherine" <ka...@mhn.org> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:21:47 GMT, Brent <bab...@flash.net> expounded:
> >
> > >No, they cannot. Only owners and co-owners (I think) can remove the
> > >runes. Even friends cannot.
> >
> > IIRC, you have to unlock the rune book before you can remove any runes.
> > (Which would be to say, you're correct. :)

Gimble

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Why am I curious?

I've come up with a wacky plan to "link" my small sandstone patio to a
friend's sandstone patio. What seemed ideal to me would be to have a
charged runebook locked down, with just a single rune in it to my friend's
store (and at his location, a matching set).

True, a PiB (Pain in Butt) player could exhaust the charges on the books
travelling back and forth, but I was more concerned that someone would put
mismarked runes in the book to *wrong* places, just to be a grief player,
and my shoppe would get a bad reputation because of it.

Maybe locked down runes are the best way to go, but they sure waste a lot of
space... *sigh*

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:03:45 GMT, "Gimble" <gimb...@bigfoot.com>
> expounded:
>

> >OK, just to be clear that I understand:
> >
> >You cannot remove a rune from a rune book unless it is not locked down.
> >
> >But can you *ADD* runes to a rune book that is locked down?
>

> Hmm--that, I have not tried. I'll give it a shot when I get on tonight
and
> see if it lets me.

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:15:53 GMT, "Gimble" <gimb...@bigfoot.com>
expounded:

>True, a PiB (Pain in Butt) player could exhaust the charges on the books
>travelling back and forth, but I was more concerned that someone would put
>mismarked runes in the book to *wrong* places, just to be a grief player,
>and my shoppe would get a bad reputation because of it.

Well if that's the setup, you can set your runes as the "default" runes.
IIRC this cannot be changed while the rune book is locked down (I'll check
this tonight when I try to add a rune).

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:05:16 -0500, "Mistress Morrigan"
<winte...@cyberspace.org> expounded:

>And unless they patched it with the Ren patch you CAN use the charged book
>to recall from as I was able to do it with a locked down book before the
>split

You can use them to recall from if you don't have regs, but I don't THINK
you can charge them yourself--so a non-friended player with no magery can't
use scrolls in combination with your rune book if it doesn't already have
charges.

Insane Ranter

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Barnaby Madgett wrote:

> Oh, also, what's the max length of text you can fit in a book?

> "Barnaby Madgett" <bar...@madgett.com> wrote in message

> > I'm contemplating turning my house into a kind of library type place...
> <snip>

I WANT FULL LOOKING BOOKCASES TOO!!

sorry... it's just something i could code myself..

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:28:45 GMT, ka...@mhn.org (Katherine) expounded:

>Well if that's the setup, you can set your runes as the "default" runes.
>IIRC this cannot be changed while the rune book is locked down (I'll check
>this tonight when I try to add a rune).

Okay, test results with a locked down runebook:

You CANNOT remove a rune.
You CAN add a rune.
You CANNOT set the default recall location.

So you could have your rune book with your default locations set, locked
down. People recalling off the runebook itself would go to the default
location. People who open the book to recall from inside will see where
they're going anyway, unless the twinks name their runes the same thing you
do.

Gimble

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:28:45 GMT, ka...@mhn.org (Katherine) expounded:
<snip>

> Okay, test results with a locked down runebook:
>
> You CANNOT remove a rune.
> You CAN add a rune.
> You CANNOT set the default recall location.

<snip>
Thanks for doing the leg work!

I guess I'll fill the rune book with runes (even if they all just went to my
ally's store), and that will keep people from adding bogus runes to my rune
book.

I wonder if you can drop blank runes in a rune book.... I'll have to
experiment with that one.

I am in your debt.
Trista / Zorak / Iris (LS)

Katherine

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:27:16 GMT, "Gimble" <gimb...@bigfoot.com>
expounded:

>I wonder if you can drop blank runes in a rune book.... I'll have to
>experiment with that one.

No, you can't. I've used it as a quick means of determining which runes
are blank if I've got a bunch of them.

Otara

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:20:24 GMT, ka...@mhn.org (Katherine) wrote:

>You CANNOT remove a rune.
>You CAN add a rune.
>You CANNOT set the default recall location.
>

>So you could have your rune book with your default locations set, locked
>down. People recalling off the runebook itself would go to the default
>location. People who open the book to recall from inside will see where
>they're going anyway, unless the twinks name their runes the same thing you
>do.

Or you could just fill the runebook.

Otara

kh...@icqmail.com

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
wrote:

>I guess I'll fill the rune book with runes (even if they all just went to my
>ally's store), and that will keep people from adding bogus runes to my rune
>book.

Another option, is just to add some links to other friend's places or
useful town spots.

Katherine

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:12:33 GMT, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au> expounded:

>>So you could have your rune book with your default locations set, locked
>>down. People recalling off the runebook itself would go to the default
>>location. People who open the book to recall from inside will see where
>>they're going anyway, unless the twinks name their runes the same thing you
>>do.
>
>Or you could just fill the runebook.

Sure, if you want to be all logical about it.

Brent

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Katherine wrote:

> You can use them to recall from if you don't have regs, but I don't THINK
> you can charge them yourself--so a non-friended player with no magery can't
> use scrolls in combination with your rune book if it doesn't already have
> charges.

If you cast with a scroll, then target the closed book you will recall
to the default location. This works if the rune book is out in the
open, and not in any type of container. If you have the runebook in a
secure you have to charge it up or cast your own spell.

Brent

Mistress Morrigan

Katherine

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:10:56 GMT, Brent <bab...@flash.net> expounded:

>If you cast with a scroll, then target the closed book you will recall
>to the default location. This works if the rune book is out in the
>open, and not in any type of container. If you have the runebook in a
>secure you have to charge it up or cast your own spell.

Can you charge a runebook in a secure? I know you can't cast recall from
it, other than to target the book itself. I've never tried charging or
casting with a scroll from a book in a secure.