Best Theiving Victims:

Puck

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Well, my fellow theives, I have discovered the best victim for us to try
our mettle on.

The Pk.

Aside from the FABULOUS loot they carry, they're personality makes the
among the easiest to sneak up on and steal. (I got 70 pearls, a magic
spear, a deed to and iron forge and many many potions off this guy- gave
the pearls to SBR suppy box, gave deed to some guy at Skara Bank, put
potions in SBR box, and kept the spear :) )

Risky? Yes, of course it's risky, As these folks are more adept to
attack you then others. I tried to explain to him that I was merely
helping him carry his load - he thanked me by attacking. After hiding
he just stood in front of me taunting me :) What easier target is there
then one that will stand and yell at you while you sneak up on them and
take their stuff? I mean, this guy was LOADED with gear - too bad I
didn't have to time loot him completely. So, I am now convince that
with the exception of the true elite pks, most pks are the best targets
for looting. They don't give up, and they don't learn :) Wonderful
combination if you ask me :)

Puck: Hmm, magic spear... Mind if I look? (Gandalf is attacking
you!)

Mark

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In case you haven't noticed: You ARE the PROBLEM. Why the hell should
you be able to continually loot the same person over and over and
over. It's stupid. OSI should just stop allowing thieves to steal from
people. All they do is cause hate and discontent. There is no good
that can come from a thief stealing from people.

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:19:50 -0600, Puck <johne...@mail.utexas.edu>

ReDRuM

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
complain, complain, complain, complain, complain, complain

Jack Benny

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Mark wrote:

> In case you haven't noticed: You ARE the PROBLEM.

Yeah.. nevermind that you can walk safely past the pk while Puck is
being his pincushion.

nevermind that he's stealing from those players who take by force.

nevermind that he's actually roleplaying.

sheesh. Give him a break. If all the thieves in UO showed even 1/8 of
the intelligence and roleplaying ability we'd have a different game
altogether.

Jack

DBradf1012

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Puck is great I love him!!!

ReDRuM

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

jsands

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
There is honour among thieves. He is not preying on the weak and helpless.
He is not diacouraging the new to the game. He is taking from the rich and
wicked, and giving it to himself and his merry men. He is NOT a communist.

John (Inigo, Talon, Grimbus) Baja

"Keep eating on German Plates!"

Andrew Blackwell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Mark (mar...@erols.com) wrote:
: In case you haven't noticed: You ARE the PROBLEM. Why the hell should

: you be able to continually loot the same person over and over and
: over. It's stupid. OSI should just stop allowing thieves to steal from
: people. All they do is cause hate and discontent. There is no good
: that can come from a thief stealing from people.

Oh, but good does come of the pks, slaughtering people who dont want to
fight and miners. Stupid me, I guess I missed that at the mandatory
thief seminar held by the NPC thief guildmaster. Now that I think about
I DO remember him saying that thieves caused all the discontentment and
hate in Sosaria. That was right after he claimed that Player Killing
brings joy and warm fuzzy thoughts of companionship and camaraderie to
all involved, even Johnny Miner.
Roleplaying thieves like this guy should be commended, not flamed. I
myself play a thief, well, that is not entirely accurate. I am more a
catburglar. I never steal from newbies, or people down on their luck (I
judge that by their appearance and the backpack contents.

Way to go Puck. What shard do you play on again? I must have missed it.

Robin Sage, Grandmaster Rogue, Baja

Garrold

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

> He is taking from the rich and
>wicked, and giving it to himself and his merry men.

And in doing so is achieving what I've been failing to do with various
characters almost since day one. Good on him (and you).

Garrold

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Right on. Nice one, go Puck.

Paul V

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Complain about complaining, Complain about complaining, Complain about
complaining, Complain about complaining, Complain about complaining,

Strife

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Puck,

I'm starting a pvp thief to go after the crowd of jerks who haunt the
Britain Mines (and might as well check in on the cemetary too while
I'm at it). I'll check in with you later.

These guys are your perfect target. They all hang out outside the
mines or their mining shacks.... lots of corners to run around and
hide from after thieving. And best of all, they are not even
particularly good PKs, since they are used to beating on miners.

Trouble
Some sort of Ranger,
but definitely ex-SBR

Puck

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Well, of course I stop by thre Trouble, it's a hot spot for the SBR. I
REALLY REALLY wish that you would reconsider and come back :) you're one
of my favorite people :) *note* D*P are horrible at handling pvp
thieves. They're about the best target around :)

Puck

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
The WOULD be very very funny. Imagine: stealth boxing :)

Strife wrote:

> I can't come back while Q is there. Just seeing the guy upsets me. But
> I will be on one of the Ranger groups, so I'll definitely catch you
> around. It looks like Damin will also be making a pvp thief, so we can
> go do our own little version of a "gangbang".
>
> Hehe, a bunch of hidden thieves stealing all at the same time from the
> same kewlio. Ouch, I almost feel pity.
>
> Nah.
>
> Trouble
>
> On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:27:15 -0600, Puck <johne...@mail.utexas.edu>

Strife

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

wrote:

>Well, of course I stop by thre Trouble, it's a hot spot for the SBR. I

Sohi

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Puck <johne...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
: Well, my fellow theives, I have discovered the best victim for us to try
: our mettle on.

[snippola]

: Puck: Hmm, magic spear... Mind if I look? (Gandalf is attacking
: you!)

LOL - if we had more *real* rouges like you and less gangsters, this game
would be thoroughly enjoyable.

LydiaLasV

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
If I steal from wandering healers, am I attackable in town even though I'm
blue?

While banking last night someone came up and killed me. I am not in the
thieves guild and do not steal from PC's, only wandering healers. No guards,
no murder count to give. What happened? Is this the way it's supposed to
work? Any thieving makes you killable?

And - How did he know? What about a character gives away that they have stolen
since their last death?

Thanks,
(Who has a real ISP for UO)

Ian

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Thank god someone else posted this .

This has happened to me twice now and before you say it, long after the two
minutes have passed after a spotted thief attempt. Just walking home I have
been attacked by a blue whilst blue, been killed and discovered I was grey.
is this a bug or what?

flister john m.

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
he used forensics on you. it's a whole new class of bloopk, those who
kill thieves. they call em detectives. the person who did it is one
step ahead of every other blue pk. think about it, osi releases a new
class everyone wants to participate in (rogues) and at the same time an
established bloopk just has to macro forensics so he can kill every thief
in town. thing is, he has a great chance of total surprise and might just
get a housekey and rune from time to time. then he will be a
bloolooterpk.

dang that word looks kewl.

=)

dej...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
In article <920924577.23343.4...@news.demon.co.uk>,

"Ian" <i...@nospam.the-rebellion.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> This has happened to me twice now and before you say it, long after the two
> minutes have passed after a spotted thief attempt. Just walking home I have
> been attacked by a blue whilst blue, been killed and discovered I was grey.
> is this a bug or what?

Welcome to the fantastic world of the perma-flagging... It's either that OSI
has rushed the thief patch without thinking the ramifications, or that they
don't only want to decrease the 'anti-social thieves', but also limit the
adventuring rogues...

As a matter of fact, presently you get the same constraints stealing from a
chest then stealing from a PC. The perma-flag is equivalent to the 'no
reporting' of the members of the thieves guild. And if you're grey from
stealing a pear in a chest in town, you can be attacked, guard-killed if you
auto-defend and if your aggressor kills himself he can also report you. So
the only difference is that you won't get kicked out of the guild... ;)

Ian

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99

So my newbie thief who is not a member of the thieves guild yet can be
killed by anyone with a high enough forensic skill?

I have only ever stolen from healers outside of town, IM banned from
stealing from PC's though IM not sure that is the path I want to go down.

Yet I can be killed by other PC's? This is very odd , they are protected
from me but not vice versa?

It is cool though to be able to walk past monsters in dungeons. I thought my
thief might be a trusted part of a team that goes in a dungeon and extracts
gold for all the team to share. Given I can now be killed by anyone surely I
will shun any PC contact now? [apart from those thieves that have
demonstrated honour amongst thieves]

Keith Miyake

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99

"Ian" <i...@nospam.the-rebellion.demon.co.uk> writes:
>So my newbie thief who is not a member of the thieves guild yet can be
>killed by anyone with a high enough forensic skill?

Forensic skill cannot be used directly on your thief to find
out if he's permaflagged grey. (It allows them to see if you
are in the thieves guild, but you are not.)

It could be used on chests to see who picked them. This could be
dangerous for them, since just picking a chest is not a crime.
(And if the chest contained junk, nothing may have been stolen.)

I've never been real sure what actions permaflag someone. I think
looting blue does, but not attacking blue? Killing blue? Trying
to directly provoke NPCs?

Keith
--
kmi...@cs.rutgers.edu

Richard Cortese

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Ian wrote:

> So my newbie thief who is not a member of the thieves guild yet can be
> killed by anyone with a high enough forensic skill?
>
> I have only ever stolen from healers outside of town, IM banned from
> stealing from PC's though IM not sure that is the path I want to go down.
>
> Yet I can be killed by other PC's? This is very odd , they are protected
> from me but not vice versa?

No, new exploit, I saw people working on it on TC.

The rule is, if you are perma flagged, anyone can steal from you
including non member of the thieves guild. They can do this apparently
with out going gray themselves.

So what people are doing is getting in roving gangs that try and steal
from you. If they get "You have to be in the thieves guild to steal"
then they know you are not perma flagged. If they either get something
or an attempt that fails, they know you are perma flagged & everyone
attacks.

Kind of odd, packs of people running and bumping you all the time on TC
right now.

That and the new fishing patch.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:27:57 -0000, "Ian"
<i...@nospam.the-rebellion.demon.co.uk> wrote:

|So my newbie thief who is not a member of the thieves guild yet can be
|killed by anyone with a high enough forensic skill?

Forensics will only tell you if the target is a member of the Thieves'
Guild, not whether or not you steal from NPCs.

Dennis F. Heffernan UO: Venture (Catskills) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"There's no easy way to be free."
-- Pete Townshend, "Slip Kid"

Michael Ball

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
>Thank god someone else posted this .
>
>This has happened to me twice now and before you say it, long after the two
>minutes have passed after a spotted thief attempt. Just walking home I have
>been attacked by a blue whilst blue, been killed and discovered I was grey.
>is this a bug or what?

This is one of the biggest things that piss me off about UO. Why did that guy
attack you? Did he know why you were grey? What business is it of his? It's
just "Hey, that guy's grey - kill him!"

The entire rep system is flawed. Basically, build fame and buy titles, I say.
If you kill, you are a criminal. Take you case to court (was it self defence,
etc). sheesh...

Lilith

BTW - I realise my rep system solution is simplistic - but the current system
is so bloody complicated, its ridiculous.

LydiaLasV

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
In article <36e6e242.74294860@news>, dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis
Heffernan) writes:

> Forensics will only tell you if the target is a member of the Thieves'
>Guild, not whether or not you steal from NPCs.

Then how do they know to attack me? I do not steal from PC's, and I am not a
member of the Thieves guild. Yet I get attacked while I am Blue.

What Gives?

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

You are being attacked by generic blue PKs.

Or you would be, if they existed, but we've been assured that they don't
exist. </sarcasm>

Richard Cortese

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
LydiaLasV wrote:

> In article <36e6e242.74294860@news>, dfra...@email.com (Dennis Francis
> Heffernan) writes:
>
> > Forensics will only tell you if the target is a member of the Thieves'
> >Guild, not whether or not you steal from NPCs.
> >

> Then how do they know to attack me? I do not steal from PC's, and I am not a
> member of the Thieves guild. Yet I get attacked while I am Blue.
>
> What Gives?
2nd time I will post specifically on this, getting tired of hearing
myself say how worthless the whole thief patch ended up being so I stop
the general statement.

Since you now have to be a member of the thieves guild to steal from
another player, people are using stealing as a replacement for
forensics. Better then forensics since they don't have to waste skill
points to determine if you are perma flagged as a thief.

All the do is saddle up next to you, ANYWHERE, and try to steal. If they
get the message "You are not a member or the Thieves Guild" then they
know you are not perma flagged and leave you alone.

There is NO PENALTY NOW FOR TRYING!

If they either fail or get some trivial item, even nothing in your pack
message, they know you are perma flagged and kill you.

There is NO PENALTY FOR SUCCESS!

Same jerk blue PKs that were tank thieves before so they could kill you
are now just working a different scam.