Three cheers for SunSword and Dev Team

1 view

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/23/99
IceLady wrote:

> Three cheers for SunSword and the Dev Team.
>
> Have any of you seen a major patch day go this smooth
> from day one of UO? Not me.

Smooth? I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to be trying to
convince everybody (possibly including yourself) that DD was so much
worse than everybody else. I don't see so much of a difference.

Anyway, on to the patch.

1) House co-ownership bugs (non friended, non owner/co-owner character
being able to lock down and release items).

2) House dating bugs (many pre-patch houses labeled "modern").

3) Rune book bugs (disappearing spells from the spell book).

4) Potion barrel bugs (half the "features" described in latest updates
apparently weren't implemented as described).

5) Skill management bugs (I'm just hearing some vague rumors so far,
nothing definite).

And day one isn't over yet.

Not so smooth, I would say. But for the most part, most of these
"features" implemented this patch doesn't have as much potential to
screw things up as quickly as the much greater game changing "features"
implemented in other major patches. If it could be considered a "major
patch", it certainly seems to be one of the most minor of those major
patches, in terms of how much if affects the game system.

On the other hand, looking at item decay in houses and the removal of
"illegal" housing, the patch to watch will certainly be phase 3. What
the heck, given the amount of fallout of previous screw ups, and
consequently significant pressure from both the UO players and the
higher ups at OSI and EA, I'd expect that patch to go smoothly, and the
smoothness won't reflect any lack in DD's abilities.

-Smedley

Richard Cortese

<jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:383B6417...@po.cwru.edu...

> IceLady wrote:
> >
> > Three cheers for SunSword and the Dev Team.
> >
> > Have any of you seen a major patch day go this smooth
> > from day one of UO? Not me.
>
> Smooth? I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to be trying to
> convince everybody (possibly including yourself) that DD was so much
> worse than everybody else. I don't see so much of a difference.
>
> Anyway, on to the patch.
<snipped examples>

I ack everything you said, but somehow this patch does seem different. I
mean I just saw another post about disappearing spells from a spell book
like I saw on TC. Hokuto went down hard and fast today after the patch and
about 2 hours before normal service down time. "Servers will be going down
shortly" three steps and "Lost Connection".Could be a daylight saving time
thing, I don't think they have that in Japan, but still kind of worrysome.

What seems to be different, since the screw ups are still here, is no one
was in a panic mode saying "Oh my GAWD! Please don't let there be rune
books!" or "Potion barrels will kill alchemy!".

Where many of previous patches had things to fear, the current list of
things to do seem to meet with either indifference or actually looking
forward to them.

While I can see calling a spade a spade, a screw up a screw up, but for some
reason the fact "They meant well" seems to be the phrase this time.

jx...@po.cwru.edu

IceLady wrote:

> Did I even mention Raph K's name?
> I just said they did a good job, and should get a little recognition
> for it.

No you did not mention his name. I guess my problem is that I've seen
all too many of your bashing of DD in the past, that your post
recognizing SunSword's crew seems completely at odds with it.
Especially since I fail to see much of a difference between past patches
and this one.

> >Anyway, on to the patch.
> >

> (snip list of what he <thinks> may be problems)
>
> Were you around for some of the previous patches?
> The ones that had to be reversed because NOTHING
> worked.

If it happened in the last 19 months, I was around. You should know
that, Lynn, I've been posting here almost as long. Unless I managed to
find my way into your killfile without knowing it, but I doubt that.

> Im not Raph K. bashing, I am trying to give a little praise
> for a job well done, and in my opinion it was Damn well done.

*shrugs* Not all that much of a difference, yet you've seriously bashed
DD in the past, to the point of personal attacks, and now a complete
about face in praise of SunSword. It seems.... for lack of a better
word, pretentious.

I'm not saying that SunSword doesn't deserve such praise, I still play
the game after all. But credit where credit is due, DD deserves as much
as SunSword. And if you bashed DD, why aren't you bashing SunSword?

-Smedley

Mat

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99

> Smooth? I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to be trying to

> convince everybody (possibly including yourself) that DD was so much
> worse than everybody else. I don't see so much of a difference.

*snipped lots whines*

whine whine whine, that's all you people can do isn't it?

Heck, the changes in this patch are ones of the best i've seen to the
game since it was released (been playing since then, though inactively
for a while) and it's only understandable that some bugs still exist,
only that non-friended non-coowners could release stuff seems serious,
everything else is just small annoyances that will probably be fixed
soonish.

Have you got some specifics on that claim that non-friends could release
stuff? Are you sure that this isn't one of those cases where someone has
logged in their second char and since that char isn't on the list
they've assumed he's not friended/co-owner?

Heck, if it was true that perfect strangers were able to release stuff,
why is there still stuff in public buildings?

--
Mat

Eric A. Hall

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99

> I think we all owe SunSword and the Dev Team a big
> thank you for a job well done.

I'd say that for the most part this one has gone pretty good, and yes a
"thanks for not screwing us all up" is in order. :)

Lots of tweaking now. Get rid of the stupid [exceptional] tags. Fix
potion barrels so they can be vertically stacked like other furniture.
Other minor things, but nothing major that I could see.

Lars Friedrich

Mat wrote:
> > Smooth? I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to be trying to
> > convince everybody (possibly including yourself) that DD was so much
> > worse than everybody else. I don't see so much of a difference.
> *snipped lots whines*
> whine whine whine, that's all you people can do isn't it?
> Heck, the changes in this patch are ones of the best i've seen to the
> game since it was released (been playing since then, though inactively
> for a while) and it's only understandable that some bugs still exist,
> only that non-friended non-coowners could release stuff seems serious,
> everything else is just small annoyances that will probably be fixed
> soonish.
> Have you got some specifics on that claim that non-friends could release
> stuff?
As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it seems
like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..
You know what this means?
PK gets your house key and EVERYTHING including what is in your secures and
locked down as decoration..
If that is not a serious bug..

Jan Gustavsson

Lars Friedrich wrote:
> As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it seems
> like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..

Are you sure? You did not test this with one of the character on the
same account?
Any one else tested this?
Does that work only with original key or any key for the house?

Cozy

Mat

"Lars Friedrich" <lars.fr...@privat.kkf.net> wrote in message

> As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it
seems
> like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..

> You know what this means?
> PK gets your house key and EVERYTHING including what is in your
secures and
> locked down as decoration..
> If that is not a serious bug..

Of course that would be the case if it was so, but judging from that no
one has so far even mentioned houselooting rampages on the NG or on the
UO pages, i think this is not true.

If you prove otherwise I shall stand corrected. But so far I have seen
neither proof nor indications to this being the case now.

--
Mat

Mat

"IceLady" <Ice...@BellSouth.net> wrote in message

> Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why some people
> appear bright until you hear them speak?

Your signature is well describing the nature of this alledged "bug" =)

--
Mat

Quaestor

IceLady wrote:

> I just tried to unlock or even use items locked down with
> a character friended to a house but not a owner or co-owner.
> Not only could she not unlock the item she could not use any
> of it. I also tried to unlock or access a chest in a house
> that the character was not friended to, but had a key.
> Everything worked as it should. My character could NOT
> unlock items or get in the secure chest with a key to the
> house in her pack.
>
> I think this is just someone's idea of a bad joke.
> That or my houses and my friends houses are not bugged.

More likely someone not knowing what they talking about.

Jeroen

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99
A seer told me it was total nonsense (if you all are referring to drtwisters site)

IceLady wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:56:06 +0100, Jan Gustavsson <jan...@lin.foa.se>
wrote:

>Lars Friedrich wrote:
>> As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it seems
>> like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..
>

>Are you sure? You did not test this with one of the character on the
>same account?
>Any one else tested this?
>Does that work only with original key or any key for the house?
>
>Cozy

I tried it with one of my characters on a friends house.
I used a copy of the house key, then I used the original key.
I could NOT unlock anything.
I also did the same thing with one of my characters that was
NOT friended to that house.Ā Ā  Could NOT access anything.

Like I said, this is either a false alarm or my houses and my

friends houses are not bugged.

--
IceLady

Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why some people
appear bright until you hear them speak?

--Ā

Greetings,Ā

Jeroen (The MAG, Europa)

Also visit my guild page at:
http://here.at/fod

Brian

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99
She's sleeping with SunSword.

Jeroen

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99
You know what so good is ?

The did EXACTLY what we asked..

I remember somone starting a thread about a runebook.., and what do we
have ?
Great isn't it ?, i love this new item..

Problems with potions regarding the new rules ?
Hell, they made a solution..

Coowners.., GREAT feature.., now i can lock down items with all chars.., i
do NOT complain at all..

Suggestion for next patch:
CoGuildMasters

Assign a second GM to recruit and maintain members in large guilds..

rattran

On 24 Nov 1999 00:01:26 PST, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>> I think we all owe SunSword and the Dev Team a big
>> thank you for a job well done.

Agreed, some minor bugs, but nothing too bad. My experience with
co-owner is they can't instlog in the house. I experimented with it on
LS. No instalog. This char had never been a friend of the house.
Other than that, the weight limit of a container inside a secure is
annoying, but not fatal.

>I'd say that for the most part this one has gone pretty good, and yes a
>"thanks for not screwing us all up" is in order. :)

'Thanks for not screwing us all up, again, yet"

>Lots of tweaking now. Get rid of the stupid [exceptional] tags. Fix
>potion barrels so they can be vertically stacked like other furniture.
>Other minor things, but nothing major that I could see.

I craft almost all the craft skills, and I like the exceptional tags.
If only exceptional shovels lasted longer than normal ones...

-Detlef Sierck on SP and LS

Malicious

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99
I have been a long time complainer, but I have to give credit where credit
is due. Great job guys.

Greywind

IceLady wrote:

> Three cheers for SunSword and the Dev Team.
>
> Have any of you seen a major patch day go this smooth
> from day one of UO? Not me.
>
> I think we all owe SunSword and the Dev Team a big
> thank you for a job well done.
>
> Wish he had been in charge a loooooong time ago, like
> from the start.
> Just MHO.

It pains me greatly, but I must agree with you.
Usually even small patches are like getting bombed...

I can still bitch about the vendor/house bug that
people used on Baja and Pacific. Apparently OSI
knew of the bug but declined to fix it until
people started abusing/using it.

Greywind.

Damocles

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:04:02 +1100, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
wrote:

>I just dont see it as that big a patch - nothing much directly
>affecting characters skills or stats at all apart from the stat
>lcoking which is certainly a nice touch.

Nothing much directly affecting character skills or stats? I'd say
this is the biggest patch in that direction since the game was
released. My characters are now able to use every skill in the game at
a base level of competency. I was chopping wood, carving it up and
using kindling to camp last night, all without worrying about losing
points off my "main" skills.

Eric A. Hall

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99

> My experience withv co-owner is they can't instlog in the house.

My co-owner chars on my account can instalog. Are you referring to chars
on a different account? If it's on your own account you may have to get
a gm to help reset the house. Transferring ownership seems to be one of
the fixes.

> Other than that, the weight limit of a container inside a secure is
> annoying, but not fatal.

My nested containers in my secures have no weight limits. Again, maybe
you have to reset the secure. Release it then re-secure it.

> If only exceptional shovels lasted longer than normal ones...

They are supposed to. My guess is that this is some kind of bug.

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Mat wrote:

> <jx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message

> > Smooth? I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to be trying to
> > convince everybody (possibly including yourself) that DD was so much
> > worse than everybody else. I don't see so much of a difference.
>
> *snipped lots whines*
>
> whine whine whine, that's all you people can do isn't it?

*shrugs* Bugs must be reported. If they're not reported, then OSI
doesn't find out about em, and they don't get fixed.

> Have you got some specifics on that claim that non-friends could release

> stuff? Are you sure that this isn't one of those cases where someone has
> logged in their second char and since that char isn't on the list
> they've assumed he's not friended/co-owner?

Specifics. First of all, each character must be friended/co-ownered
individually, unless the house is owned by a different character on the
same account. Yesterday, I'm not sure what happened, but suddenly we
had a non co-owner and non friended fellow player that could lock and
release things from my house. While in the house, they were grey, which
is normal for a non co-owner / non friended character, and they couldn't
insta-log, except for their lock down ability. So far, we've had
problems trying to reproduce this. Upon call, GM Canyon told us that
this is a known bug.

> Heck, if it was true that perfect strangers were able to release stuff,
> why is there still stuff in public buildings?

Possibly because the method seems to be hard to pin down.

-Smedley

jx...@po.cwru.edu

IceLady wrote:

> I just tried to unlock or even use items locked down with
> a character friended to a house but not a owner or co-owner.
> Not only could she not unlock the item she could not use any
> of it. I also tried to unlock or access a chest in a house
> that the character was not friended to, but had a key.
> Everything worked as it should. My character could NOT
> unlock items or get in the secure chest with a key to the
> house in her pack.
>
> I think this is just someone's idea of a bad joke.
> That or my houses and my friends houses are not bugged.

GM Canyon on Sonoma helped us reverse the effects on that character
affected, and told us it is a known bug. Apparently, the bug occurs
after some kind of interaction between the house and the character. It
very well may be that only certain houses are affected, but it's
definitely not a joke.

-Smedley

Goldenflame Dragon

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99

On a similar note, a guildmember who had not been friended came by to my
house today, and I tried to friend him.
The house told me, cannot friend him, he's already an owner.

So I checked the co-owner list, nope, not there. So I asked him to lock
something down. He did. It worked.

Then I tried to release it. (I am the house's owner). It told me it was not
locked down. I clicked on it. [Locked down] floated above it. I had him
release it, and told him I would report the bug.

I was planning to transfer ownership to another guildmember soon anyway.
Hopefully this will clear the lists and fix that for now. (On a tangent, if
I do transfer, anyone know if we'll have to resecure/lock down everything?)

Madman Across the Water

Lars Friedrich

Mat wrote:
> > As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it
> seems
> > like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..
> > You know what this means?
> > PK gets your house key and EVERYTHING including what is in your
> secures and
> > locked down as decoration..
> > If that is not a serious bug..
> Of course that would be the case if it was so, but judging from that no
> one has so far even mentioned houselooting rampages on the NG or on the
> UO pages, i think this is not true.
The 'rampage' can only be possible when a person would lose the house
key..doesn't happen that often..
Anyway..(also see my other reply to Icelady).
I had to leave at the time the third 'supposed to become' co-owner dropped
his house key and could no longer use the co-owner commands..and so wasn't
able to do some more testing..
So I assumed that the house key is involved with that (perhaps it is) but
there may be certain circumstances to make the bug appear..

Lars Friedrich

IceLady wrote:
> >> only that non-friended non-coowners could release stuff seems serious,
> >> everything else is just small annoyances that will probably be fixed
> >> soonish.
> >> Have you got some specifics on that claim that non-friends could
release
> >> stuff?
> >As far as I could determine it yesterday (didn't have much time) it seems
> >like anyone with a house key can lock down/release things..
> >You know what this means?
> >PK gets your house key and EVERYTHING including what is in your secures
and
> >locked down as decoration..
> >If that is not a serious bug..
> I just tried to unlock or even use items locked down with
> a character friended to a house but not a owner or co-owner.
> Not only could she not unlock the item she could not use any
> of it. I also tried to unlock or access a chest in a house
> that the character was not friended to, but had a key.
> Everything worked as it should. My character could NOT
> unlock items or get in the secure chest with a key to the
> house in her pack.
> I think this is just someone's idea of a bad joke.
> That or my houses and my friends houses are not bugged.
As I said, didn't have the time to test it out.
What I can say is that we wanted to make three persons co-owner of a patio.
Number one and two went fine.
Number three wasn't accepted as co-owner and did not appear on the co-owner
list, but was able to use the co-owner text commands except the one to place
the strongbox. Then after some time that person dropped the house key and
was then no longer able to use any co-owner command. Then I had to leave.
Fact is that there is a bug, the question is under what circumstances it
appears..

Goldenflame Dragon

IceLady wrote:

> Just to be safe, I would release and "re-secure" your secure chests,
> if it was my house.

I would, except that leads into my next question, which is what happens to an
unsecured box that has 2000 stone in it?

Madman Across the Water

jx...@po.cwru.edu

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/99

Good question. Anybody wanna donate a rather large number of hides/logs
to me on Sonoma so I can find out?

-Smedley

Goldenflame Dragon

jx...@po.cwru.edu wrote:

> Goldenflame Dragon wrote:
>
> > I would, except that leads into my next question, which is what happens to an
> > unsecured box that has 2000 stone in it?
> >
> > Madman Across the Water
>
> Good question. Anybody wanna donate a rather large number of hides/logs
> to me on Sonoma so I can find out?

Well, in a fit of recklessness, I unsecured a chest that had 1400 stone, and it
unsecured as normal. Click on it, it claims to still weigh 1400 stone. Re-secure
it, everything is dandy.
I suspect that, similar to the potion making bug that allows more than 125 items,
this could allow containers to hold more than 400 stone semi-indefinately. Put 2000
stone of iron ingots in a chest that is secure, unsecure it, and lock it down. If
for some reason you want them in a chest rather than on the floor. And I would
guess that you would be able to take from the pile but not add to.
This is all guesswork, though.

Madman Across the Water

Richard Cortese

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:39:43 -0500, "Brian" <uone...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >She's sleeping with SunSword.
> >

> You are obviously new here and don't know me.
> I don't care to know any more about you.
> You have a filthy mind. I _don't_ find that funny.!!
> *PLONK*
I didn't think it was funny until I saw your post, now I can't stop
laughing!

Otara

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/25/99
I just dont see it as that big a patch - nothing much directly
affecting characters skills or stats at all apart from the stat
lcoking which is certainly a nice touch.

Nice to have a break form those kind of 'will it affect my character'
patches, but patches like implementing PvP- areas will be the real
test.

Otara

On 24 Nov 1999 00:01:26 PST, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

>> I think we all owe SunSword and the Dev Team a big
>> thank you for a job well done.
>

>I'd say that for the most part this one has gone pretty good, and yes a
>"thanks for not screwing us all up" is in order. :)

Otara

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/25/99
Yeah but it doesnt have an effect on getting killed, add a new skill
to the game, change skill or stat development rates (eg tailoring,
smithing, dex fixes), or any of that other stuff that has had a
greater chance of causing disaster in the past.

They _could_ have stuffed this up and had skills set to raise that
actually fell or somesuch, but that would have been pretty easy to
notice in testing - other than that it just doesnt carry the risks
that other changes do.

Gamebalance wise, I think we're about to see a whole lot more
multi-GMs in the game. I guess its a worthwhile tradeoff but its
still a pretty kludgy character system.

Otara

Uwe Fischer

IceLady <Ice...@BellSouth.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
383c90e8...@news.bna.bellsouth.net...
> On the lock down question, it works the other way. You
can add to
> it because it does not increase the <count>, but you cant
use from
> it without unlocking it. I tried it with some locked
down hides.

Try it with someoneĀ“s locked down ingots. You could smith
them up. Hides and cloth must be in your bagpack to use it.
Metal and wood can be used up from a locked down pile. So
never put Ingots or wood on the floor. Allways inside the
secure chest!

Regards
Grizwood, Seneschall (MTB), Drachenfels

MTB: Militia Templum Baphomet
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/autumnvision/
BTC: Baphometic Trade Center
http://internetjunk.com/users/baphomet/

For Baphomet with fire and sword!

Otara

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/26/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:52:45 GMT, Ice...@BellSouth.net (IceLady)
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:06:06 GMT, tub...@ix.netcom.com (bizbee)
>wrote:
>
>>Laud them for doing what they get paid for? Thank them for doing
>>something they're <supposed> to do?
>>I'll pass on that one. We don't owe 'em squat.
>>
>biz, have you never given an employee a pat on the back for
>a job well done even though he is being paid to do that job?
>If you have not, your employees will be very unhappy floks.

Yeah, but it gets hard to sound sincere when you're saying 'well done,
you're up to adequacy'. I mean, a biggish patch went in without a
major disaster (so far). I'm certainly relieved, but, umm...

>>I will more than happily agree with you on your final comment though.
>>
>It is refreshing to see changes that make the game more fun
>not more work. May not be realism, but it is supposed to be a
><game for fun>.

Absolutely. I do think the skill stuff was the most directly useful
addition I've seen in ages.

Otara

Rommel

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/27/99
Three cheers. Oh please. If and when they fix problems like
Blacksmithing, I may cheer. And the new tagged items get a large
rasberry IMOHO

Eric A. Hall

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/27/99

> And the new tagged items get a large rasberry IMOHO

I agree with this.

Xigam

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:58:52 -0800, Goldenflame Dragon
<mad...@well.com> wrote:

I unsecured a chest with 9000+ stones in it and resecured it.. it
works ok..

I DID lose any empty secure containor outa my public vendor house (for
which NO ONE has the key but me). It was a fruit basket (empty)..
Someone someone found a way to take it. I had to call a GM to get back
my 125 lockdowns because they went with it too..

My large painting was still hanging though...

- Xigam

Xigam

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99
On 24 Nov 1999 00:01:26 PST, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

Those are too good ones.. the [exceptional] tag is exceptiionally
ugly.. it should be "an exceptional Katana Crafted by Mr Smith"
instead what it is now..

Also, runebooks need to be able to be useable outta secure chests and
also with scrolls when locked down.

Other than that things are looking good. I really like this patch so
far despite losing a fruitbasket. (somehow!)

- Xigam

Xigam

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:18:36 +1100, Otara <sp...@spammity.com.au>
wrote:

There are already lots of multi-GM's.. what you might see more of is
char's that have more than 7 skills.

- Xigam

Xigam

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99
On 24 Nov 1999 10:17:38 PST, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

I had this bug.. I bought a new house, put it on a charB on my account
that has 1 house already (owned by CharA), and now CharB can't logout
quick in CharA's house, and I can't friend him. I transfered the new
house to a char that is ALREADY friended with CharA's house (thru the
pre-patch bug w/logging in 2 chars) and now it works.. Tonight, I'm
gogin to try and refriend that char without a key see if it makes a
difference.

- Xigam

Xigam

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99
On 27 Nov 1999 07:19:47 PST, "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote:

If this means that they are butt-ugly, I agree..

- Xigam

Eric A. Hall

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/99

> the [exceptional] tag is exceptiionally ugly.. it should be "an
> exceptional Katana Crafted by Mr Smith" instead what it is now..

It should have been left well enough alone. I don't even know why it's
there... They could have made it an added bonus of using Item ID like
they did with Taste ID for potions. Then we'd get "of exceptional
quality" or "of very poor workmanship."

If this is for player benefit, where's the [crap] label?

I never heard anybody ask for this either. It's just dumb all around.

Otara

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
Maybe - we'll see. I'm sure macroing will also have a renaissance.

Otara

SunSword

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
I appreciate the positive note, and I think that most of the update
went very well. I am, however, very disappointed in the number of
issues that cropped up with co-ownership. We'll be working to get
these issues resolved early this week.

We learned a few things this week, not the least of which is "never
publish right before a holiday". Seriously, we're going to tweak the
publish process even more to make sure we're delivering quality
content to the game.

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:15:24 GMT, Ice...@BellSouth.net (IceLady)
wrote:

>Three cheers for SunSword and the Dev Team.
>
>Have any of you seen a major patch day go this smooth
>from day one of UO? Not me.
>

>I think we all owe SunSword and the Dev Team a big
>thank you for a job well done.
>

>Wish he had been in charge a loooooong time ago, like
>from the start.
>Just MHO.
>

>--
>IceLady
>
>Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why some people
>appear bright until you hear them speak?

--

SunSword
Lead Designer, Ultima Online

Please include all previous communications when emailing a repsone.

Otara

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
So how many milliseconds did you resist saying that for? :)

Otara

Xigam

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:03:57 GMT, suns...@uo.com (SunSword) wrote:

So did you guys decide to change the BUTT UGLY tags on weapons and
armor?

- Xigam

Richard Cortese

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
Eric A. Hall <eh...@ehsco.com> wrote in message
Probably because there are not that many new smiths starting out since they
have to make it to GM in order to sell anything to anyone but an NPC.

There are downsides of course. I will equip a durable accurate katana as a
bluff. Unless the person I am having a standoff with has an ID wand or Item
ID, for all they know it is fortified of Vanquishing.

So now the newbies will take it on the chin, but then most of the true
newbies are not savy enough about the game to buy a decent weapon for a
couple of days. That "a practice weapon" is a real tip off.

I think letting both arms lore, wands, and Item ID as you said permanently
identify the weapon as exceptional would have been a better solution.

But on balance I think this is better then nothing. I really am disappointed
about the number of empty vendors you see in the game now.

I was really disappointed with my vendors on Hokuto, maybe selling 200 gold
a day in items and scrolls, then apparently word got out that there actually
was someone stocking their vendors in the game. I think I did 10k in
business last weekend. My vendors are in one of the worse locations in the
game, just over 300 visitors to my shop, but the ones that do come are there
to buy.

I will probably be adding a few low level smith items to the vendors now
that there is the exceptional stamp. I wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't,
so the patch will have the desired effect as far as I am concerned.

Eric A. Hall

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99

> I think letting both arms lore, wands, and Item ID as you said
> permanently identify the weapon as exceptional would have been a
> better solution.

I think arms lore should be able to work, but the focus should have been
on Item ID all along. Shovels, sewing kits and other things that have
the [exceptional] tag would need to be ID'd and arms lore just wouldn't
work on those things.

A fine point, and somewhat irrelevant.

Xigam

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:25:10 GMT, xi...@removethisjunk.yahoo.com
(Xigam) wrote:

I posted on COB about this and it got deleted in 5 mins.. man I hate
web boards.. had to scroll all over the damn places.. man I hate web
boards the are so ugly and unwieldly.

- Xigam

Xigam

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/99
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:34:28 -0800, OrionCA <ori...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

There was no reason to delete my post though.. unless you find the
term "butt ugly" offensive when applied to the new item tags (if you
do, I hope you die soon, the world needs less of you)

- Xigam