U7 - SI - Petra: That's Melissa!

Marcia Cielock

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

I'm new to this news group and I just want to let all of you know
since I found the question recently, that Petra is my daughter
Melissa.

She won the contest in Ultima 6 and they put her character in this
game. Her picture is also in the start up instructions flyer included
in the game.

Thanks for the inquiries.

Mark Paladin

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

tech...@servtech.com (Marcia Cielock) wrote:

->I'm new to this news group and I just want to let all of you know
->since I found the question recently, that Petra is my daughter
->Melissa.
->
->She won the contest in Ultima 6 and they put her character in this
->game. Her picture is also in the start up instructions flyer included
->in the game.
->
->Thanks for the inquiries.
->

You have a very attractive metal daughter. :-)

Cyan Paladin Dragon,
-==<UDIC>==-

Gamara II Dragon

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

tech...@servtech.com (Marcia Cielock) wrote:

>I'm new to this news group and I just want to let all of you know

>since I found the question recently, that Petra is my daughter

>Melissa.

>She won the contest in Ultima 6 and they put her character in this

>game. Her picture is also in the start up instructions flyer included

>in the game.

Is your daughter impervious to acid?

Gamara II Dragon
..-=={UDIC}==-.

Tz-Auber

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

>Is your daughter impervious to acid?

Watch out! This can be interpreted in a couple of ways! :>

BTW I'm Back!!

--

Scribed by Tz-Auber Dragon - "The Ether, product of a creator's will
(the name's there cause all - is both an extrordinary and dangerous power,

Bill Armintrout

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

tech...@servtech.com (Marcia Cielock) wrote:

>I'm new to this news group and I just want to let all of you know
>since I found the question recently, that Petra is my daughter
>Melissa.

>She won the contest in Ultima 6 and they put her character in this
>game. Her picture is also in the start up instructions flyer included
>in the game.

>Thanks for the inquiries.

Please say hello to your daughter for me, and thank her again for
letting us use her picture in the game.

We had a great portrait artist on Serpent Isle (Micael Priest), and we
used larger portraits in photo-real quality. The only problem was that
Micael wanted to work from actual photographs (as source material,
*not* as scans) from which he based his work.

Traditionally at Origin, we used the portraits of people who worked at
the company - but we didn't have enough people! And certainly not
enough of the right sorts of people.

Quite by coincidence, I mentioned the problem to Marketing one day,
and next thing I knew, I had several boxes of photographs from U7
contestants in my office. Many of them were the wrong face types (not
too many 12 years olds in an Ultima!), but we sorted through them and
found the ones we liked best.

It was then my job to call most of the folks, to see if they minded if
we used their face in our game. (Raymond Benson, who was in charge of
designing Monitor at the time, called his characters personally.)

One fellow looked perfect for a mean, crabby wizard in Moonshade. So I
called him up -- turned out he'd never sent his picture in, his son
had. He wouldn't let us use his face, and I think I got his son in
trouble... :-(

The women were the most interesting phone calls, partially because
they were the ones who called back during the project to find out how
things were going. (If I remembered the character names, I could tell
you more of the stories...)

Talking to Melissa was very interesting, since I felt that I had to
explain that her character would be *nude* in the game (metal, but
nude). Thankfully, she had no objections to this, and I hope she
enjoyed seeing herself in the game.

- Bill Armintrout
SI lead designer

Bill Armintrout bi...@2ni.com
Producer, Second Nature Interactive http://www.2ni.com/

All opinions expressed are my own, not those of my company. Really.

Brian Burns

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Gamara II Dragon wrote:

> tech...@servtech.com (Marcia Cielock) wrote:
> >
> >She won the contest in Ultima 6 and they put her character in this
> >game. Her picture is also in the start up instructions flyer included
> >in the game.
>
> Is your daughter impervious to acid?
>

> Gamara II Dragon
> ..-=={UDIC}==-.

May I ask if she is single? :)

Beach'n Dragon
"Life's a beach, so you better learn to surf."

Victor Hawkins Dragon

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Cielock Family wrote:

> Yes, as a matter of fact, she is!
<chuckle> sounds like a dragon's dream;)
--
Mearly another dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Christian Groff

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Oh,please! :p

EPOCH DRAGON

Christian Groff

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Thomas Willoughby wrote:

> A friend of mine was Rocko! Petras hunk-o-man.
>
> They painted that grey hair on him! He was in his twenties when they
> put him in the game!
>
> --
> Thomas Willoughby will...@sprynet.com
> 11/15/96 20:56
> [ Standard Disclaimer ]

Since people who know someone whose picture was in Serpent Isle as a NPC
close-up,I have decided to respond with a general request. Since SI is
one of my favorite Ultima(the most,but let's not get in specifics ;),I
ask this favor:

ANYONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHOSE FACE WAS AN NPC CLOSE-UP IN SERPENT ISLE,
PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT EP...@TEXAS.NET! I will compile a short list of these
people and send it to the Ultima Dragons web page(or upload it to my home
page,but nobody has seen it[or cares to respond :(]) and maybe everyone
will know the who's who in SI. BTW,I remember that one of the Dragons was
also in SI as Ensorcio.

EPOCH DRAGON

Thomas Willoughby

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Cielock Family

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Kenneth Edward Whitten

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Christian Groff wrote:
> Since people who know someone whose picture was in Serpent Isle as a NPC
> close-up,I have decided to respond with a general request. Since SI is
> one of my favorite Ultima(the most,but let's not get in specifics ;),I
> ask this favor:
>
> ANYONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHOSE FACE WAS AN NPC CLOSE-UP IN SERPENT ISLE,
> PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT EP...@TEXAS.NET! I will compile a short list of these
> people and send it to the Ultima Dragons web page(or upload it to my home
> page,but nobody has seen it[or cares to respond :(]) and maybe everyone
> will know the who's who in SI. BTW,I remember that one of the Dragons was
> also in SI as Ensorcio.
>
> EPOCH DRAGON

Yes. Umbrae Dragon is Ensorcio.

Cielock Family

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

will...@sprynet.com (Thomas Willoughby) wrote:

>A friend of mine was Rocko! Petras hunk-o-man.

>They painted that grey hair on him! He was in his twenties when they
>put him in the game!

>--
>Thomas Willoughby will...@sprynet.com
>11/15/96 20:56
>[ Standard Disclaimer ]

Isn't this somethig? Who would have thought that I would find out
about other people in the game. Maybe we could find out who else
appeared in the game. Wadda ya think?

Melissa

Victor Hawkins Dragon

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

Cielock Family wrote:

> Isn't this somethig? Who would have thought that I would find out
> about other people in the game. Maybe we could find out who else
> appeared in the game. Wadda ya think?
>
> Melissa
odd is that i remember all these people! wow...

Brian Burns

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Wow! What a coincidence, so am I! ;)

Brian Burns