On A Related Note . . . An LRT Idea

DPVulcan01

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Reading the Dimensional Traveler idea, I suddenly thought of something totally
new for an LRT.

LRT: Wormhole Cowboy
- Ability to create ships to stabilize a wormhole permanently
- Ability to create ships to construct an unstable wormhole
- Ability to scan all wormholes in universe at once
- Cost comparable to TT

Thoughts?

Dan Bush
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Visit the Stars! Drawing Board at:
http://members.aol.com/dpvulcan01/stars/index.htm

Steve Lawrence

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

On 22 Jun 1998 03:50:47 GMT, dpvul...@aol.com (DPVulcan01) wrote:

> Reading the Dimensional Traveler idea, I suddenly thought of something totally
> new for an LRT.

Its been done, and taken further I think. But I still like the idea.

> LRT: Wormhole Cowboy
> - Ability to create ships to stabilize a wormhole permanently

As long as the ship remains there. Probably have to have one at each
end of course.

> - Ability to create ships to construct an unstable wormhole

Well, when used with above ships it wouldn't really be unstable would
it ;)

> - Ability to scan all wormholes in universe at once

With links ofc.

Or alternatively, to see wormholes without cloaking and to see other
end without going through it?

> - Cost comparable to TT
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe the abilities would increase with tech (Energy?).

Read Ya Soon,
Steve

(For e-mail replace angel with demon :)

Jacques Vidal

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

dpvul...@aol.com (DPVulcan01) wrote:

>Reading the Dimensional Traveler idea, I suddenly thought of something totally
>new for an LRT.

>LRT: Wormhole Cowboy

>- Ability to create ships to stabilize a wormhole permanently

>- Ability to create ships to construct an unstable wormhole

>- Ability to scan all wormholes in universe at once

>- Cost comparable to TT

>Thoughts?

I posted a PRT proposition that was designed along these lines
some weeks ago. It led to a rather long thread. You may search
dejanews for "Underground Traveler" (or was it Traveller, with
2 Ls ?).

Part of the discussion was if it should be best implemented as a
PRT or LRT.

Jacques Vidal

Steve Lawrence

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:30:53 GMT, jvi...@mail.dotcom.fr (Jacques
Vidal) wrote:
> You may search
> dejanews for "Underground Traveler" (or was it Traveller, with
> 2 Ls ?).

I heard that! ;-)

Olen Whitaker

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

> LRT: Wormhole Cowboy
> - Ability to create ships to stabilize a wormhole permanently

Sounds kool but I think that there should be ships at both ends and both
ships should have to stay there in order to preserve the wormhole. The LRT
could give the race a ship based stargate which could increase in power
with research.

> - Ability to create ships to construct an unstable wormhole

If you had wormhole stabilizers or stable wormhole creators then they
wouldn't stay unstable for long...

> - Ability to scan all wormholes in universe at once

Like an IT can scan all stargates in range.

> - Cost comparable to TT

Yeah, it would need to be expensive. It would be devastating with an SS.
The gate ships could be cloaked at 98%, you could have whole fleets
suddenly appear in an enemy's territorry with no travel time. I think, no
colonist ,mineral gating though.

> Thoughts?

Olen Whitaker
tri-...@hpnc.com

DPVulcan01

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

>I posted a PRT proposition that was designed along these lines
>some weeks ago. It led to a rather long thread. You may search

>dejanews for "Underground Traveler" (or was it Traveller, with
>2 Ls ?).

Leave it to me to forget something like that. Sorry. ;)

AA TRGJ

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Hmm... My thoughts are that it would be to powerfull for just an LRT, maybe
Workable as PRT.

Trgj

Z-Morph on #Stars! (The one everyone hates and won't let join any games)
};->

Drew Thompson

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Olen Whitaker wrote:

> > LRT: Wormhole Cowboy
> > - Ability to create ships to stabilize a wormhole permanently
Or maybe just generate a field the wormhole was more than usually likely
to stay in? (Effectively making it more stable, but not _completely_
stable.) Also tie this ability to a new hull type that's *expensive*
and has no armor slots...easy pickins!

> > - Ability to create ships to construct an unstable wormhole

Have this ability also tied to a hull type, also expensive and
vulnerable, *and* creating the wormhole destroys it. That would
probably keep it more balanced.

> If you had wormhole stabilizers or stable wormhole creators then they
> wouldn't stay unstable for long...
>
> > - Ability to scan all wormholes in universe at once
>
> Like an IT can scan all stargates in range.
>
> > - Cost comparable to TT
>
> Yeah, it would need to be expensive. It would be devastating with an SS.
> The gate ships could be cloaked at 98%, you could have whole fleets
> suddenly appear in an enemy's territorry with no travel time. I think, no
> colonist ,mineral gating though.

Why not? It's a wormhole, isn't it? Just tie the abilities to a hull
or hulls
(could do just one hull for simplicity) and don't give it any slots for
defense
except maybe shields or mechanical.

On a side note, should the Jump Gate be wormhole-capable? :-)____
(drool!)