Destination Col in Fleet Report

C Kaat

Jan 3, 2003, 9:38:23 PM1/3/03
Greetings Comrades,

When I dump the fleet report (Report/Dump to Text File/Fleet
Information) and open it in Excel, I see a column called *Destination*.
For my fleets the contents of this column make sense. For the fleets of
other races however there are numbers in this column, but I can't figure
out what they mean. OK, the zeros correspond to fleets with zero warp
speed, but for fleets that are moving the numbers do not correlate with
speed. Could one of you please tell how to interpret them?

Thanks,
Casper

Jeffimix

Jan 6, 2003, 8:51:17 PM1/6/03
C Kaat <ck...@comnet.ca> wrote in message news:<3E16491F...@comnet.ca>...

Perhaps it has to do with lines or headings maybe next year jump
coordinates? I don't know.

Michael `Wumpus' Zinn

Jan 7, 2003, 3:02:34 PM1/7/03
On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:51:17 +0000, Jeffimix wrote:

> C Kaat <ck...@comnet.ca> wrote in message

<snip>

>> For the fleets of other races however there are numbers in this column,
>> but I can't figure out what they mean. OK, the zeros correspond to
>> fleets with zero warp speed, but for fleets that are moving the numbers
>> do not correlate with speed. Could one of you please tell how to
>> interpret them?

<snip>

> Perhaps it has to do with lines or headings maybe next year jump
> coordinates? I don't know.

I believe I looked into this at some point, and found it to be a heading
in the range [0,256). I can't remember where 0 is, though, and looking at
it now, I have my doubts about the 'bit after the decimal point'... ofc I
may also be entirely wrong, since its ages since I looked at this... but
maybe its worth giving a look :-)
--
Michael `Wumpus' Zinn <*> | "`An eye for an eye' leaves everyone
micha...@alumni.cse.unsw.edu.au | blind." -- Martin Luther King

C Kaat

Jan 10, 2003, 9:43:08 PM1/10/03
Yes. I see the 256 figure is a possibility. In fact that applies to
both sides of the decimal place for those numbers. Of the three
archived games I checked the largest number on the LHS of the decimal
place is 254 and similarly 254 on the RHS. But what it means is still a
mystery to me.

Casper

regiss

Jan 10, 2003, 10:48:27 PM1/10/03
> Could one of you please tell how to interpret them?

Could it be destination in polar coordinates. Question is : where should it
start from, and where and how and why should it be in the next turn..

I guess not.

I remember readinng about this, when I started playing. But I couldn't find
references anywhere now.

And it leaves me interested, also.

regiss

Jan 10, 2003, 10:49:27 PM1/10/03
Ignore typos.

Dirk Thierbach

Jan 11, 2003, 1:06:15 PM1/11/03
regiss <reg...@takas.lt> wrote:
>> Could one of you please tell how to interpret them?

> Could it be destination in polar coordinates.

It could be a direction (angle), namely the one of the last movement of
the fleet. In the GUI, this shows up as an arrow when you click on the
fleet.

> Question is : where should it start from,

If it's an 8-bit number, then 0..255 represent 360 degrees, so a right
angle would be 64. It just remains to find out the direction of zero,
and the orientation.

> And it leaves me interested, also.

I didn't do any tests for the above, but orders to send out fleets
in the four cardinal directions should be easy to make in a testbed.

- Dirk

regiss

Jan 15, 2003, 6:32:38 AM1/15/03
> Could one of you please tell how to interpret them?

http://apk.net/~parallax/stars!/available.html

C Kaat

Jan 15, 2003, 9:14:03 PM1/15/03
That does not give us the answer. It does not mention the numbers we
are observing in the destination column. It is also incomplete. There
are many more columns in the fleet dump than are covered in that link.
But thanks anyway, I was not aware of that site.

Casper

regiss

Jan 16, 2003, 3:42:13 AM1/16/03
> It is also incomplete.

It was written for .fle (not .f#) file. Simply it was the first site that
mentioned destination field that I've seen.

Pirate Lord

Jan 16, 2003, 1:24:43 PM1/16/03
Intitial ideas.

Since maximum warp is 16 (but not for ships) you would get the max 256 by
16^2, which is the maximum radius that object can travel to next year.

Now the odd thing is, you would thus expect a maxium figure of 100 for all
ships (warp 10^2) but the listing shows values higher and expect more of the
figures to be integers.
Another idea is that it could represent the distance from the nearest
object. Maybe a planet or ship....
Or another idea is that it does indeed show the warp 0 to 10 scale (0 to
100) but stretched to a 0 to 256 for some unknown reason.

I shall look into it a bit more.

Stuart

"C Kaat" <ck...@comnet.ca> wrote in message

Pirate Lord

Jan 16, 2003, 2:33:44 PM1/16/03
Well, I looked at some data from a game, and it appears it could be
direction degrees. But there are some problems.

1) Appears to have Warp Speed included in the figure. Ships heading in the
roughly the same direction at the same warp had roughly the same value,
ships at slower warps had a lower value.
2) Then, looking at a different ship heading in a direction value I had
already established at warp 10, I had a different figure.

So, none the wiser :-(

"Pirate Lord" <pirates.retr...@btinternetNOSPAM.com> wrote in
message news:b06tdb$8ap$1...@helle.btinternet.com...

Kilgaard

Jan 17, 2003, 12:08:53 AM1/17/03
> > "C Kaat" <ck...@comnet.ca> wrote in message
> > > Yes. I see the 256 figure is a possibility. In fact that applies to
> > > both sides of the decimal place for those numbers. Of the three
> > > archived games I checked the largest number on the LHS of the decimal
> > > place is 254 and similarly 254 on the RHS. But what it means is still
> > > mystery to me.

I agree with this. The "number" is not a single decimal number, but rather
two distinct numbers that just happen to be separed by a '.' character. The
(upto) three digits on the left of the '.' in someway relate to the x-coord
of the movement, and the (upto) three digits on the right of the '.' in
someway relate to the y-coord of the movement.

"Pirate Lord" <pirates.retr...@btinternetNOSPAM.com> wrote in

message news:b071en$sd1$1...@sparta.btinternet.com...

> Well, I looked at some data from a game, and it appears it could be
> direction degrees. But there are some problems.
>
> 1) Appears to have Warp Speed included in the figure. Ships heading in the
> roughly the same direction at the same warp had roughly the same value,
> ships at slower warps had a lower value.

I don't think the warp speed is included in this field.

> 2) Then, looking at a different ship heading in a direction value I had
> already established at warp 10, I had a different figure.
>
> So, none the wiser :-(

The only bit that I have worked out is that I can now determine which
"quadrant" the ship is moving in.

Firstly, as mentioned above, treat each side of the '.' character as a
separate 8-bit number. Now, if the LHS is > 127 then the ship is moving in
the +ve direction on the x axis. If the LHS is <= 127 then the ship is
moving in the -ve direction on the x axis. Similar for the RHS and the
y-axis.

Saj Mohammed

Jan 17, 2003, 7:19:38 AM1/17/03
Hello wats up?

Saj Mohammed

Jan 17, 2003, 7:24:22 AM1/17/03
Hi wats up?

Pirate Lord

Jan 17, 2003, 12:51:53 PM1/17/03

> The only bit that I have worked out is that I can now determine which
> "quadrant" the ship is moving in.
>
> Firstly, as mentioned above, treat each side of the '.' character as a
> separate 8-bit number. Now, if the LHS is > 127 then the ship is moving in
> the +ve direction on the x axis. If the LHS is <= 127 then the ship is
> moving in the -ve direction on the x axis. Similar for the RHS and the
> y-axis.

Agreed.

Discovered two ships in my fleet report close to each other with the same
destination value. Checking them out in stars showed that they have the same
heading.

The value was 191.53 which causes them to head in a South East Direction.

Combined with Warp, you can then show the probable location of the ship the
following turn if it stays at the same heading (as stars! does)

Now the values have one of two meanings

1) Degrees = Value / 1.411 but I disagree with this, too complex

2) "Steps". The current ship is classed as 0,0 location, and the values show
the distance to travel along X + Y to reach the next destination. So,
XYValue = - (128 - Value) making (in my example above) a heading of 63
and -75.

The ship co-ords were X2340 Y1968. By just clicking on the rough destination
location using one of my fleets, it should be arriving at X2405 Y1893. Take
a look at the differences, and you get X65 and Y-75, so I was 2 X co-ords
out.

So, there is your answer!

Stuart

Chris Schack

Jan 17, 2003, 10:50:29 AM1/17/03
In article <b08357$ldcge$1...@ID-154877.news.dfncis.de>,

"Kilgaard" <Kilg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > "C Kaat" <ck...@comnet.ca> wrote in message
>

>I agree with this. The "number" is not a single decimal number, but rather
>two distinct numbers that just happen to be separed by a '.' character. The
>(upto) three digits on the left of the '.' in someway relate to the x-coord
>of the movement, and the (upto) three digits on the right of the '.' in
>someway relate to the y-coord of the movement.

Here is how it relates: the set of numbers is x.y, where (x-127) is the
distance the ship(s) moved in the x axis, and (y-127) in the y axis.
Just ran a test at warp 6, 35 and 36 LY, due east, and the numbers were
162.127 and 163.127 (this after a test at the same speed to the 8
compass points). The +127 must be so unsigned integers can be used,
reason unknown.

Chris Schack

C Kaat

Jan 18, 2003, 1:43:40 PM1/18/03

Thanks Stuart, Chris, and Kilgaard. You have each contributed to
lifting the obscuring veil on this question. There are still some loose
ends I think.

For example: I see an opponent's ship in my scanner pane travelling
almost due east at warp 4. The fleet dump file indicates the
destination of this ship is 199.135, which translates (using the x-127
and y-127 recipe give in the previous posts) to delta x = +72 and delta
y = +8 or just 6.3 degrees north of east. According to our
interpretation however this ship is forecast to travel approx 72ly in
that direction next year not the 16ly implied by its current speed. The
conclusion is that the relative co-ords we derive from the numbers in
the Destination column bear little, if any, relation to the speed of the
fleet/ship but do give the correct heading the ship appears to be
travelling in as seen in the scanner pane.

So why does the speed not correlate? Is it a question of resolution?
That is, very low speeds could not be accurately represented in our
relative co-ord system unless the numbers were inflated? How would a
fleet travelling at warp 4 NE (exactly 45 degrees north of east) be
represented if speed did correlate? Well delta x would have to be about
+2.82 as would delta y. Since we can only use integer numbers this
would not work.

Casper