FAQ on battle speed? Which engines, thrusters etc effect it?

Mike Barnard

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Hi.

I've been reading a fair bit in various messages about the advantages
of moving last, but I'm not sure what effects various parts have on
the speeds. Is there an article or FAQ that covers this somewhere
please?

---
Mike Barnard
From windy Worthing
England.

cro...@erols.com

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mike Barnard wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've been reading a fair bit in various messages about the advantages
> of moving last, but I'm not sure what effects various parts have on
> the speeds. Is there an article or FAQ that covers this somewhere
> please?

Don't know about an FAQ, but the help file does provide a formula for
calculating battle speed and your F4 window will show the battle speed
of the ship you are designing if you have a high res monitor.
But note that battle speed and moving last are two different concepts.
Moving last depends only on the weight of your ship with respect to the
weight of the enemy ship.

Scoop

Pieter Hulshoff

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
In article <35FC31...@erols.com>, cro...@erols.com wrote:

>Mike Barnard wrote:
>But note that battle speed and moving last are two different concepts.
>Moving last depends only on the weight of your ship with respect to the
>weight of the enemy ship.

*nod*, I've never quite understood this though: you move last when your ship
is the lightest?!? Sounds weird to me. Btw: can anyone tell me the order of
events in a battle? Is it: 1 ship moves, if in range: fire, other ship moves,
if in range: fire? Or ....? The question combined with this is ofcourse: what
advantage is there of moving first/last in a battle?

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff

cro...@erols.com

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Pieter Hulshoff wrote:

> In article <35FC31...@erols.com>, cro...@erols.com wrote:
> >Mike Barnard wrote:
> >But note that battle speed and moving last are two different concepts.
> >Moving last depends only on the weight of your ship with respect to the
> >weight of the enemy ship.
>
> *nod*, I've never quite understood this though: you move last when your ship is the lightest?!? Sounds weird to me.

But it's a handy thing to know when you're trying to shoot down your
enemy without their getting a shot - as in your light ship has one more
unit range than their weapons do!

>Btw: can anyone tell me the order of
> events in a battle? Is it: 1 ship moves, if in range: fire, other ship moves, if in range: fire?

All ships move, then ships that can fire are chosen on the basis of
initiative to fire at their targets that are in range. (When the
initiative is the same, the ships are chosen randomly.)

Scoop

Alex Heney

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
On Sun, 13 Sep 98 18:38:03 GMT, phul...@xs4all.nl (Pieter Hulshoff)
wrote:

>In article <35FC31...@erols.com>, cro...@erols.com wrote:
>>Mike Barnard wrote:
>>But note that battle speed and moving last are two different concepts.
>>Moving last depends only on the weight of your ship with respect to the
>>weight of the enemy ship.
>
>*nod*, I've never quite understood this though: you move last when your ship

>is the lightest?!? Sounds weird to me. Btw: can anyone tell me the order of

>events in a battle? Is it: 1 ship moves, if in range: fire, other ship moves,

>if in range: fire? Or ....? The question combined with this is ofcourse: what
>advantage is there of moving first/last in a battle?

You only move last with lightest ship if movement factors for the turn
are equal.

The distance you will move in one turn may vary during the battle, if
your speed is not a whole number. (e.g if your movement speed is 1.75,
then you will move 1 on the first turn, 2 on each of the next three
turns, then 1 again, etc.)

As for sequence, all ships move 1 space, any ships with movement
remaining move another space, then if any have movement remaining they
will take that last move, then all ships fire. It is an advantage to
move last because it means you can determine the range. If your
opponent only has range zero weapons and you move last, he will never
get a shot in unless he has more battle speed than you. On the other
hand, if he moves last, you will not be able to move out of range
unless you have higher battle speed.
--

Alex Heney, global villager

Please remove NO and SPAM from above
address if replying by email.

spike

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
a.j....@btNOinterSPAMnet.com (Alex Heney) wrote:

>>In article <35FC31...@erols.com>, cro...@erols.com wrote:
>>>Mike Barnard wrote:
>>>But note that battle speed and moving last are two different concepts.
>>>Moving last depends only on the weight of your ship with respect to the
>>>weight of the enemy ship.
>>
>>*nod*, I've never quite understood this though: you move last when your ship
>>is the lightest?!? Sounds weird to me. Btw: can anyone tell me the order of
>>events in a battle? Is it: 1 ship moves, if in range: fire, other ship moves,
>>if in range: fire? Or ....? The question combined with this is ofcourse: what
>>advantage is there of moving first/last in a battle?
>>

>You only move last with lightest ship if movement factors for the turn
>are equal.

This is incorrect. The lightest ship always moves last as long as it
has a square of battle movement available for the particular movement
round. This is independent of the battle movement of any other ships
involved. It is also subject to a +-15% random adjustment to weight,
although I have NEVER observed a heavier ship moving last at any time,
so this adjustment factor may have been lost in a patch somewhere.

And any ship with a battle speed of 1 or greater will always have at
least one square of movement in every battle round.

>The distance you will move in one turn may vary during the battle, if
>your speed is not a whole number. (e.g if your movement speed is 1.75,
>then you will move 1 on the first turn, 2 on each of the next three
>turns, then 1 again, etc.)
>
>As for sequence, all ships move 1 space, any ships with movement
>remaining move another space, then if any have movement remaining they
>will take that last move, then all ships fire. It is an advantage to
>move last because it means you can determine the range. If your
>opponent only has range zero weapons and you move last, he will never
>get a shot in unless he has more battle speed than you. On the other
>hand, if he moves last, you will not be able to move out of range
>unless you have higher battle speed.

This is also incorrect. The sequence is different. From the help file:

--Movement happens in three phases:
--Phase 1: All tokens that can move 3 squares this round get to move 1
square.
--Phase 2: All tokens that can move 2 or more squares this round get to
move 1 square.
--Phase 3: All tokens that can move this round get to move 1 square.
--In each phase tokens move in order from heaviest to lightest, with a
margin of +/- 15%.

cap'n marv
ma...@sover.net

Alex Heney

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:38:55 GMT, ma...@sover.net (spike) wrote:

>a.j....@btNOinterSPAMnet.com (Alex Heney) wrote:

<snip>

>>You only move last with lightest ship if movement factors for the turn
>>are equal.
>
>This is incorrect. The lightest ship always moves last as long as it
>has a square of battle movement available for the particular movement
>round.

<snip>

>>As for sequence, all ships move 1 space, any ships with movement
>>remaining move another space, then if any have movement remaining they
>>will take that last move,

<snip>

>This is also incorrect. The sequence is different. From the help file:

<snip>

Oops!

Thanks, Marv, for pointing out my errors.

I don't know what I was thinking of there, I had completely reversed
the order of which phases ships which could not move in all phases
made their movements.

(Note to self - be VERY careful about facts when posting late at
night. This is not the first time I have made stupid errors when doing
that)