Stars! Order of Events small bug

1 view

Andrzej J. Makarczuk

Jan 15, 2002, 7:23:47 AM1/15/02
Greetings.

During tests on various IS races (especially -f) I've noticed some
inconsistency in Stars! Order of Events:
http://www.starsfaq.com/order_events.htm

7. MT moves
8. In-space packets move and decay
a. PP packets (de)terraform
b. Packets cause damage
9. * Planets with 0 colonists become uninhabited
(lose starbase and defences) *
10. Wormhole entry points jiggle

Pop is checked in p.9 that's OK, but _only_ _if_ packet hit.

To verify this put all pop (only IS!) on orbit in Waypoint 0 and fill
the free space on freigter(s) to guarantee that some colonists from
growth in orbit will hit the planet in p.12 SOoE.
No lost starbase nor defences on the next turn.

So, the SOoE should go that way (IMVHO):

7. MT moves
8. In-space packets move and decay
a. PP packets (de)terraform
b. Packets cause damage
c. * Planets with 0 colonists become uninhabited
(lose starbase and defences) *
9. Wormhole entry points jiggle

HTH

pozdrawiam
--
makar
makaraj(at)lodz.pdi.net

Yuca Frita

Jan 15, 2002, 2:11:21 PM1/15/02
Andrzej J. Makarczuk <Mc@R.> wrote in message news:<tt684usnb3agqqmj3...@4ax.com>...

I had not realized that the SOoE had been actualized so much. Looking
at it, I find as well some things are not compatible with my
experience (only by memory, not testing here, beat me if I'm wrong ;)
)

In particular I seem to remember it was possible to tech exchange by
invasion even if you had removed all colonists on surface at WP0: when
the other player invades at WP1, the planet is not lost yet... so that
would not be compatible with any of the two "Planets with 0 colonists
become uninhabited" at points 9 and 26, since both are between WP0 and
WP1 tasks.

Any other input or some willing good soul to test it?

YucaF

James McGuigan

Jan 15, 2002, 3:14:31 PM1/15/02
Andrzej J. Makarczuk <Mc@R.> wrote in message

Thanks for that, my own tests didn't check to see if this was a conditional
step on having a packet strike the planet. I'll have to amend the order of
events to suit.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

The Stars! FAQ (www.starsfaq.com)

Christian Ræbild

Jan 15, 2002, 3:28:32 PM1/15/02
Yuca Frita wrote:

> Andrzej J. Makarczuk <Mc@R.> wrote in message news:<tt684usnb3agqqmj3...@4ax.com>...
>
>>Greetings.

>><snip>

> I had not realized that the SOoE had been actualized so much. Looking
> at it, I find as well some things are not compatible with my
> experience (only by memory, not testing here, beat me if I'm wrong ;)
> )
>
> In particular I seem to remember it was possible to tech exchange by
> invasion even if you had removed all colonists on surface at WP0: when
> the other player invades at WP1, the planet is not lost yet... so that
> would not be compatible with any of the two "Planets with 0 colonists
> become uninhabited" at points 9 and 26, since both are between WP0 and
> WP1 tasks.
>
> Any other input or some willing good soul to test it?
>
> YucaF

Yuca's comment suggest this system of checking:

8c: If a planet has been packet bombed, it is checked for 0 colonists.

25c: If a planet has been bombed, it is checked for 0 colonists.

28½: Planet ownership check, and check for 0 colonists. This check
occurs irrespective of whether a pop drop occurred.

The main problem with this is, when is a planet where all colonists
have been offloaded as a WP1 task declared uninhabited? The SOoE
notes, that it is still counted as colonized at the beginning of the
next turn in that event. My best bet is (as noted above), that it is
as part of the check for ownership after ground battle (between 28
and 29), but not depending on whether there was a pop drop.

This is pure conjecture, I have not tested it, but it would be
consistent with both Yuca and Andrzej's comments. If my conjecture
is correct, the folowing scenarios should verify it in a test:

Player A holds the planet, offloads all pop as WP0 task.
Player B pop drops as WP1 task, gain tech, and possibly retain defences.
Player B offloads all pop as WP1 task (requires a second freighter
fleet).

Next turn:

Player A (or C) pop drops as WP1 task, gain tech, and possibly
retain defences.

The possibility of retaining defences should certainly be
investigated (though pop dropping a planet with intact defences is
expensive). It is very unlikely I will have time for testing this
myself before the weekend (and maybe not even then), any comments
(and test results if any) would be appreciated.

I have one more detail to add to this. If there is a starbase
present (even an empty orbital fort), then it prevents pop drops the
same turn as it is destroyed, even though it is destroyed during 23
in SOoE (combat in orbit), and pop drops occur as 27, so the
'Starbase present' flag is not cleared between 23 and 27 in the SOoE.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen grüßen
Christian Ræbild / Christian Raebild

Andrzej J. Makarczuk

Jan 16, 2002, 10:46:23 PM1/16/02
Christian R?bild <crae...@wanadoo.dk>:

>Yuca Frita wrote:

>> In particular I seem to remember it was possible to tech exchange by
>> invasion even if you had removed all colonists on surface at WP0: when

>> the other player invades at WP1,..

...hi gets message: "Freigter #xxx try to beam colonist down to YYY
but the planet is uninhabitated. You must outfit... (and so on)"
Tested with HE.

>The main problem with this is, when is a planet where all colonists
>have been offloaded as a WP1 task declared uninhabited? The SOoE
>notes, that it is still counted as colonized at the beginning of the

>next turn in that event...

Yes. And even later. I tested it with IS. Planet is counted as
colonized at least to p.12 SOoE where excess pop from IS freighter hit
the planet they own.

HTH

pozdrawiam
--