Reply from Jeff McBride re: Stars! Battle problems

John Reynolds

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

From Jeff_M...@msn.com Sun Aug 18 15:43:02 1996
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 18:18:28 UT
From: Jeff McBride <Jeff_M...@msn.com>
To: dol...@qew.cs, y000...@ws.rz.tu-bs.de, John <reyn...@ln.nimh.nih.gov>
Cc: st...@webmap.com
Subject: RE: Stars! Battle problems

Hi John, Thorsten and David,

My responses are below... Feel free to post any or all of this to the
newsgroup. I should have access to it in another week or so but don't at this
time.

----------
From: dol...@qew.cs (David Dolson)
Subject: Odd Battle Behaviour

Sometimes in battle, I notice that my ships never get a shot off, even
when in range (I think). Why is this the case? Is it something to do
with battle plans? (optimizing distance from target, etc.?)

### This will be fixed by version 2.6.

Also, I wish that ships with "Chicken" orders would still fire if the
enemy caught them. Does anyone know how to do this? Then even if they
are destroyed, they at least go down fighting.

Thanks,
David.

### Hmm. I believe that if you change the battle plan to pick a target such as
Armed Ships or Any and leave the Tactic as Disengage it will take pot shots at
things in range while it is leaving. I'll try this today and if it does not
work it will for version 2.6.

Jeff

Teral Acorn

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

reyn...@kenmore.bu.edu (John Reynolds) writes:
>In article <4und24$p...@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>, y000...@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Thorsten
>Bischoff) wrote:

>>Because my wappon range was greater, I decided to give the tactic 'minimize
>>damage to self', but my fleet put itself into fire range of my enemy. I think
>>this is not the behavior you expect, isn't it?
>>I had the same initiative but more move than my enemy (better engine)!
>>What was wrong then?
>### This should not happen even with some of the known problems we've been
>fixing. Do you have game files demonstrating this? Hopefully with the backup
>data from the previous year as well.

I've noticed heavy ships not taking into account that the enemy'll get the
last move, and moving 1 out of range even if they're fast enough to get 2 out
of range (so they'd actually escape). Or ships with range 1 staying 1 away
from a lighter ship (which moves away, and they don't get to fire). It's
extremely frustrating to have a faster ship never get a shot off because it
refuses to move close enough.

I seem to recall 'maximize damage to enemy' not working either, although I
don't remember why. Maybe I was trying to use range 0 weapons or something.

==
Aaron

Rick Stockley

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

Has there been any thing said about if 2.5a games will play under 2.6? I plan
on starting several games next month, but might want to hold some and wait for
2.6.

Thanks
Rick

http://www.ezl.com/~rickyj/central.html