by 2450

Jeff Adamson

Feb 13, 2002, 9:15:29 AM2/13/02
How in God's name do people get 100 k of production by the year
2450??? I barelly get 15k by 2460!! HOW DO THEY DO IT AND WHATS
THEIR SECRET??!?

MCV Fenderson

Feb 13, 2002, 10:39:39 AM2/13/02
Jeff Adamson <adams...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: How in God's name do people get 100 k of production by the year

: 2450??? I barelly get 15k by 2460!! HOW DO THEY DO IT AND WHATS
: THEIR SECRET??!?

25k in 2450 isn't all that hard. There are several articles floating
around explaining how to do that. 100k at 2450 is only for experts,
I think. I've heard the record is 250k in 2450.

The main thing to remember when aiming for 25k in 2450, is to maximise
the growth of your population. Put them on the planet where they
grow the fastest, and remember that growth slows down once the planet
is filled for more than 25% (250,000 for a standard HW), so move
any excess population away. And move them away fast. You don't want
them to be in transports for 6 turns when you can do it in 2 or 3
turns, so the fuel mizer is a great help.

For a more detailed explanation, read an article about it or ask
someone else.

--

mcv. <><

Art Lathrop

Feb 13, 2002, 10:42:09 AM2/13/02
There are lots of tricks (prescouting the board, using TT CA's that only
research bio, etc), many of which have nothing to do with playing against
humans. Go to http://starsfaq.com/advFAQ/q_and_a.htm#3.11) <-that
parenthis is part of the URL. There you will find the article on the Feds.
With it, you should fairly easily get 25-30k by 2450. That is actually a
skill that will help you in a real game.
--
Art Lathrop
The Stars! Directory

Freelance Web Design
http://aaedesigns.com
"Jeff Adamson" <adams...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

James McGuigan

Feb 13, 2002, 11:46:16 AM2/13/02
The same article is also at http://starsfaq.com/articles/25k_by_2450.htm
(which doesn't have that nasty unclickable parenthesis) though I do have to
go through the old Advanced FAQ and remove all those parenthesis from the
links.

Though as for getting 100k or even 254k (I think thats the record), they
where not done in a tiny uni, but rather a prescanned huge packed uni with a
QS TT CA with all but bio expensive (was designed purely for maxing a
testbed resource score, not for a real game)

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

The Stars! FAQ (www.starsfaq.com)

"Art Lathrop" <temp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan Neely

Feb 13, 2002, 12:50:27 PM2/13/02
"James McGuigan" <ja...@starsfaq.com> wrote

> Though as for getting 100k or even 254k (I think thats the record), they
> where not done in a tiny uni, but rather a prescanned huge packed uni with
> QS TT CA with all but bio expensive (was designed purely for maxing a
> testbed resource score, not for a real game)

I think the nonprescanned record is slightly over 200k Reacking 100k with a
ca without prescanning shouldn't be that hard once you know how to manage
your econ. Personally I don't care enough to try at a record, so my record
is 68K with an HP QS joat in a small packed.

James Hamilton

Feb 13, 2002, 1:59:05 PM2/13/02
I think that all the records were set in small packed, thats more than
enough stars and they are quite close.
The 250K is only possible with a CA. I think all the other races should be
able to get over 100K in this environment if they are optimised for
resources.

I did some playing with an OBRM TT AR race tuned for growth and managed well
over 100K but using that race in a real game would be suicide. IIRC
Expensive Weapons, Propulsion, Electonics, Normal Bio, Cheap Energy and
Construction, 19% growth and as much hab as you can manage.

Yours

James 'Hammy' Hamilton

Dan Neely

Feb 13, 2002, 10:18:01 PM2/13/02
"James Hamilton" <ja...@nospam.urgentdawn.freeserve.co.uk> wrote

> I think that all the records were set in small packed, thats more than
> enough stars and they are quite close.

no, all of the the 200k+ results I've seen were in large/huge packed to get
the maximum number of planets possible.

> The 250K is only possible with a CA. I think all the other races should be
> able to get over 100K in this environment if they are optimised for
> resources.

I think the non CA record is around 125k with joats/is/it being able to
score around that range, and the record for a semiplayable AR (non obrm)
being 80 something.

Chris Schack

Feb 14, 2002, 9:26:06 AM2/14/02
In article <bab56035.02021...@posting.google.com>,

First off, select AccBBS. Next, planets grow best up to 25% (per
point of pop) or 33% (absolute), though it doesn't fall off too
badly for about another 10%. Have enough scouts to find planets
to move to by the time you need to move, and remember you may get
a poor hab draw. Have the tech to move the turn BEFORE you'll need
the ships to move. Put whatever else you can into factories, but
remember when you start building shipping, you'll need mines too.

Chris Schack

Weirdo

Feb 16, 2002, 11:53:59 PM2/16/02

"MCV Fenderson" <mc...@keg.cs.vu.nl> wrote in message

> I've heard the record is 250k in 2450.

IIRC it was done with a tri-immune 6% HE race in a huge universe. This is
not viable for a real game though :)

Weirdo

Feb 16, 2002, 11:57:41 PM2/16/02

"Chris Schack" <tmpm...@trends.net> wrote in message

> First off, select AccBBS. Next, planets grow best up to 25% (per
> point of pop) or 33% (absolute), though it doesn't fall off too
> badly for about another 10%. Have enough scouts to find planets
> to move to by the time you need to move, and remember you may get
> a poor hab draw. Have the tech to move the turn BEFORE you'll need
> the ships to move. Put whatever else you can into factories, but
> remember when you start building shipping, you'll need mines too.
>
> Chris Schack

What happens when the result is 25k by 2455-6 instead of 2455? Should I
redesign the race?

Tom Pain

Feb 17, 2002, 9:31:59 AM2/17/02
"Weirdo" <imaw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<9LGb8.26462$Nv5.8...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

IMHO probably not - it depends how lucky you were (i.e. how many
greens etc...) and how much effort you put into MM. If you're MM'ed to
the best of your ability and you've been really lucky with all the
neighbouring planets hab, then yes, you should redesign.

OTOH, if you've had nothing but bad luck and done no MM then it's a
winner. Try testbedding it again.

Mind you, if you've got 21-24K at 2450 but have advantages that are
not reflected in a high economy (i.e. you've got a set of really nifty
LRT advantages and cheap tech) then it may be worth keeping the design
the same. After all, with IFE, penscans and ISB then it may be worth
losing the 3K for the sake of being a fun race to play :-)

Matter of taste, really.

All IMHO of course - I'm no expert by any means.

Dan Neely

Feb 17, 2002, 10:07:33 AM2/17/02
"Weirdo" <imaw...@hotmail.com> wrote
> "MCV Fenderson" <mc...@keg.cs.vu.nl> wrote

> > I've heard the record is 250k in 2450.
>
> IIRC it was done with a tri-immune 6% HE race in a huge universe.

ROFLAMAOPIMPGAHBMHATWSTCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what universe are you living in? a 6% 3I race couldn't get anything near
that even theory. It would start with 85k pop and assuming no transit loss
and no crowding penalties, it could grow 24.5 million pop in 50 years. even
with 1/700 15/x/25 that's only 127k and in reality you'd never achieve
perfect growth or anything near it. the HE record is around 50k IIRC.

tryagain

Feb 17, 2002, 6:46:23 PM2/17/02
IIRC the record was a CA with 252k @50
(but in a pre-scanned medium/large? <cheater;>)

HE, like most other races can break 100k. It can laso be tailored
for insane minerals or stupidly quick starts.

FWIW:
5% - 30k.
6% HE's can get > 75k, 3/2 cheap can come in around 50/65k.
7% - 100K+
>10% - ? (a variety of high growth races can achieve >100k,
some with less work than others)
These are quick testbeds till '30, these numbers are quite beatable.

Weirdo

Feb 17, 2002, 11:16:14 PM2/17/02

"Tom Pain" <emoc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > What happens when the result is 25k by 2455-6 instead of 2455? Should I
> > redesign the race?

Okay, I meant "instead of 2450." What a stupid typo- in the early game, 5
years is a lot.

> IMHO probably not - it depends how lucky you were (i.e. how many
> greens etc...) and how much effort you put into MM. If you're MM'ed to
> the best of your ability and you've been really lucky with all the
> neighbouring planets hab, then yes, you should redesign.
>
> OTOH, if you've had nothing but bad luck and done no MM then it's a
> winner. Try testbedding it again.

I did a lot of MM for this race.

> Mind you, if you've got 21-24K at 2450 but have advantages that are
> not reflected in a high economy (i.e. you've got a set of really nifty
> LRT advantages and cheap tech) then it may be worth keeping the design
> the same. After all, with IFE, penscans and ISB then it may be worth
> losing the 3K for the sake of being a fun race to play :-)

Perhaps I should drop LSP for some 19% HG races?

Tom Pain

Feb 19, 2002, 2:33:21 PM2/19/02
"Weirdo" <imaw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ie%b8.8487$BR3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> "Tom Pain" <emoc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > What happens when the result is 25k by 2455-6 instead of 2455? Should I
> > > redesign the race?
>
> Okay, I meant "instead of 2450." What a stupid typo- in the early game, 5
> years is a lot.

De nada. That's what I thought.

> > IMHO probably not - it depends how lucky you were (i.e. how many
> > greens etc...) and how much effort you put into MM. If you're MM'ed to
> > the best of your ability and you've been really lucky with all the
> > neighbouring planets hab, then yes, you should redesign.
> >
> > OTOH, if you've had nothing but bad luck and done no MM then it's a
> > winner. Try testbedding it again.
>
> I did a lot of MM for this race.

Hmm. Well, generalising won't acheive anything here - if it's AR, and
you're not using the Ducknoids (check deja) then you're onto a winner.
If it's any of the middling PRTs, then it might be alright. If it's CA
or IT, I'd redesign it.

Did you try a second testbed?

> > Mind you, if you've got 21-24K at 2450 but have advantages that are
> > not reflected in a high economy (i.e. you've got a set of really nifty
> > LRT advantages and cheap tech) then it may be worth keeping the design
> > the same. After all, with IFE, penscans and ISB then it may be worth
> > losing the 3K for the sake of being a fun race to play :-)
>
> Perhaps I should drop LSP for some 19% HG races?

Not sure what you mean here - but I _always_ take LSP with GS/HG
races. At 19% growth (and I _never_ play with less than 18%), it's a
helluva problem getting that excess pop off the h/w before your tech
levels allow PVT col and serious pop export anyway. I think it may
affect the rate at which your resources compound, but it's still not
too much of a burden.

> > Matter of taste, really.
> >
> > All IMHO of course - I'm no expert by any means.

Same again.

The Meal

Feb 20, 2002, 9:14:33 AM2/20/02
emoc...@hotmail.com (Tom Pain) wrote in message news:<35f760f.02021...@posting.google.com>...
> "Weirdo" <imaw...@hotmail.com> (W) wrote in message news:<ie%b8.8487$BR3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

W> Hmm. Well, generalising won't acheive anything here -
W> if it's AR, and you're not using the Ducknoids (check
W> deja) then you're onto a winner. If it's any of the
W> middling PRTs, then it might be alright. If it's CA
W> or IT, I'd redesign it.

I'll save someone the efforts of using deja to look up the Ducknoids:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I1422107

I found it to be an interesting read.

~The Meal